As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Too husky, looks like too much of a bruiser.

Wrong kind of bruiser, anyways. Harry's 100% a bruiser with his magic.

Fair point(s). Harry is definitely a bruiser, but more in a take a punch than give a punch kinda way.

I think Harry's typically described as being pretty powerful offensively as well, for a wizard.

He's got a lot of brute magical power but without much subtlety. It's why he excels at destructive magic like fireballs but sucks at illusion.

RT800 on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Fair point(s). Harry is definitely a bruiser, but more in a take a punch than give a punch kinda way.

I think Harry's typically described as being pretty powerful offensively as well, for a wizard.

He's got a lot of brute magical power but without much subtlety. It's why he excels at destructive magic like fireballs but sucks at illusion.

I thought his best work was thaumaturgy... you know tracking people, and things, hence the whole private detective bit.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    In my mind, he's one of those cut dudes near the halfway point in Fight Club. Except reaaaaal tall.

All shredded, sweaty, and beat to shit. Fine. Brad Pitt.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Fox21 does develop and produce content for other networks. This is Us on NBC is a fox21 produced show. I think a Dresden Files tv show would work best on one of the streaming services.

You'd think this would be a great fit on HBO. With GoT coming to an end in the coming year or two they need some new established IPs that they can produce multiple seasons out of. This seems up that alley.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

I thought his best work was thaumaturgy... you know tracking people, and things, hence the whole private detective bit.

I think he's better than most at it, but as a result of constant practice since yes, it's extremely useful for the whole PI bit. But if there's anything he's truly gifted at, it's that he just has an exceptional amount of raw power to throw behind his spells. Hence the bruiser bit - more power just straight up means stronger shields and bigger booms. He does also seem to have a knack for (or just gravitate to) converting and storing power too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yeah, but he's described as built more like a basketball player than a boxer.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Yea for most of the series Dresden's main form of exercise is running, which is important because he does a lot of it. I could see Armie Hammer doing justice to the role. He's 6'5", fit but not built, not A-list enough to snub TV work and only 32 so he has plenty of years to age into the character.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Let's be honest, it's not like physical strength would be much use most of the time anyways for him. Punches just don't mean much.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    One thing to remember is the number of level ups Harry has taken through out the series.
    He starts out pretty weak, working on potions in his basement lab, relying more often on his old revolver than actual magic and the like. He knows all about the supernatural world and largely tries (though normally fails) to avoid getting involved because he's pretty sure he'd get eaten if he sticks his nose down the wrong alley.

If you were to start listing the power upgrades he's got since book one...

see317 on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    One thing to remember is the number of level ups Harry has taken through out the series.
    He starts out pretty weak, working on potions in his basement lab, relying more often on his old revolver than actual magic and the like. He knows all about the supernatural world and largely tries (though normally fails) to avoid getting involved because he's pretty sure he'd get eaten if he sticks his nose down the wrong alley.

If you were to start listing the power upgrades he's got since book one...

... you'd need a spoiler tag. :D

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Another thread resurrection another round of disappointment it's not Peace Talks release date

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I'm not sure I recall that many power upgrades for Dresden.
    I know he's got the soulfire or whatever that lets him use a portion of his soul to supercharge his spells. I guess that's pretty good but it doesn't seem like he can use it all that often.
    And, of course, now he's the Winter Knight which is really just the magical equivalent of being on PCP all the time.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I know he's got the soulfire or whatever that lets him use a portion of his soul to supercharge his spells. I guess that's pretty good but it doesn't seem like he can use it all that often.
    And, of course, now he's the Winter Knight which is really just the magical equivalent of being on PCP all the time.

Upgrades
    He's got the Darkhollow, had two of the three magic swords, did he ever learn the mechanics of the bloodline curse? That alone would be a game changer for any species that threatened him. And he's a Chosen One, who can defeat Outsiders. He's able to do locator spells with his miniature Chicago. Has a stronger version of his fire casting. His Mother's magical necklace which lets him travel through the Never Never. Occasional necromancy.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Upgrades
    He's got the Darkhollow, had two of the three magic swords, did he ever learn the mechanics of the bloodline curse? That alone would be a game changer for any species that threatened him. And he's a Chosen One, who can defeat Outsiders. He's able to do locator spells with his miniature Chicago. Has a stronger version of his fire casting. His Mother's magical necklace which lets him travel through the Never Never. Occasional necromancy.

Not to mention
    Demonreach

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

Upgrades

Not to mention
    Demonreach

And his
    Continually growing list of extremely powerful allies.

Not every Wizard has the power to ask Santa Clause and Odin to do him a solid.

• Options
    He had Hellfire for a time when he was sharing his mind with Lash.
    Then Soulfire.
    I seem to remember a period of personal "tutelage" by Mab. If you assume "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger..." than Harry had some remarkably effective training there.
    He's a Warden of the White Council now, while that may not be a straight up power upgrade, it carries a certain amount of prestige and the ability to call in allies should things get bad enough, though it also carries a number of unpleasant responsibilities too.
    He also learned that whole necromancy bit when he was riding a zombie dinosaur through town.
    He's also got Demon Reach as his Genius Loci, while that power may be limited while he's off the island, anything that tries to come for him on his home ground is in for some hurt.
    That's not even counting his gradually improving gear. Like the kinetic rings, he started with a single one that stored a tiny bit of energy from every move, now he's essentially got enchanted brass knuckles that let him punch like a truck. Or his magically reinforced armored trench coat, or the improvements to the shield bracelet, improvements to his staff and rod...
    I don't remember if he learned anything from his time being a ghost, but I can't imagine he didn't pick up a trick or two there.

Of course, this isn't even taking into accounts the increased abilities of his friends and allies. I mean, Butters went from being a mortician who occasionally stitched Dresden up to a Knight. Mouse went from being an adorable little puppy to an adorable Temple dog the size of a smart car with magic of his own. Murphy's been taking a master's class in ass kicking with the Valkyries, and Molly... well, I don't think I need to say anything more there.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, random magical trinkets and the like that may not have stuck around. Butcher loves power creep in his books, and compared with the Codex Alera, he's managed to be remarkably restrained on that front.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    On upgrades:
    The Winter Knight Mantle is most definitely NOT just magic PCP, that was just Butter's theory. Unless Butcher retconned it, it does a lot more than that. Harry would have died without it if it didn't make him outright more resistant to damage, not just able to ignore it.

But as had been listed Harry is accumulating a rather large number of power upgrades of various strengths and it's possible the mantle was downgraded.

I hope his new Spirit has angelic-related knowledge she'll slowly dole out.

• Options
    Then Soulfire.
    I seem to remember a period of personal "tutelage" by Mab. If you assume "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger..." than Harry had some remarkably effective training there.
    He's a Warden of the White Council now, while that may not be a straight up power upgrade, it carries a certain amount of prestige and the ability to call in allies should things get bad enough, though it also carries a number of unpleasant responsibilities too.
    He also learned that whole necromancy bit when he was riding a zombie dinosaur through town.
    He's also got Demon Reach as his Genius Loci, while that power may be limited while he's off the island, anything that tries to come for him on his home ground is in for some hurt.
    That's not even counting his gradually improving gear. Like the kinetic rings, he started with a single one that stored a tiny bit of energy from every move, now he's essentially got enchanted brass knuckles that let him punch like a truck. Or his magically reinforced armored trench coat, or the improvements to the shield bracelet, improvements to his staff and rod...
    I don't remember if he learned anything from his time being a ghost, but I can't imagine he didn't pick up a trick or two there.

Of course, this isn't even taking into accounts the increased abilities of his friends and allies. I mean, Butters went from being a mortician who occasionally stitched Dresden up to a Knight. Mouse went from being an adorable little puppy to an adorable Temple dog the size of a smart car with magic of his own. Murphy's been taking a master's class in ass kicking with the Valkyries, and Molly... well, I don't think I need to say anything more there.

I'm sure I'm missing some things, random magical trinkets and the like that may not have stuck around. Butcher loves power creep in his books, and compared with the Codex Alera, he's managed to be remarkably restrained on that front.

Current book
    He's not a Warden of the White Council any more is he? He became the Winter Knight. Now he's just the Warden (of Demonreach). I'm actually not sure.

Huh, he could be announced rather impressively these days. Sir Harry Dresden, Knight of the Unseelie Fae, Warden of Demonreach, Wizard of the White Council, Za Lord... uh... and then you could go on and on with accomplishments. Banishing He Who Walks Behind, killing the entire Red Court, robbing the vault of Hades, former keeper of the Swords, etc. etc.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Then Soulfire.

Besides the big power ups (Lasciel (Not just Hellfire but also knowledge), Little Chicago, Soulfire, Genus Loci, Winter Knight powers, Mom's knowledge of the Ways) Harry gets a lot of little power ups too.

Mostly in the form of experience and exercise. Because Harry gets involved in so many fights and so much magical trouble, he has had to exercise his talents far more than most other Wizards his age. He can throw more punches in a shorter amount of time because he is used to the punching match. I haven't gone back and checked it out book by book, but I get the feeling Harry can throw more fire etc during the later books then the earlier books. Because he has practiced his fire magic it comes easier to him (outside of when he couldn't use it), but also because he is used to the fatigue. Stuff that would knock a less experienced Wizard out is Harry's first punch. Usually to be followed by 2nd and 3rd punch.

Also Mega-Manning. If Harry sees someone do something and he can figure out how they do it, he will damn well steal their technique. Elaine has a chain that acts as a taser? Next book so does Harry. Luccio cuts monsters in half with a thin beam of fire, Harry tries the same thing in Changes (in the Nevernever where magic is easier, but still). Remember Thorned Namshiel's strangler spell? Remember what Harry hit the Naagloshii with?

Which I think leads into what really gives Harry his power ups. Skin Game says it best. Harry loves his Magic. Not just the blowing shit up aspect, but experimenting with it. Figuring out ways to help people with it, learning how to change a spell on the fly, etc. Harry loves Magic like a dedicated Martial Artist loves Martial Arts. Like a Fencer loves swordplay. Like a great mechanic likes working on cars. It makes him better and more versatile at magic. And that makes him stronger.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, now I demand all his titles real and implied be brought up like that at some point.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, now I demand all his titles real and implied be brought up like that at some point.
    Peace talks is supposed to be a big diplomatic summit. The breaks down into Chaos because, you know, it's Harry and even when he doesn't screw up he attracts trouble like nobody's business. I can see Mab arranging for his titles to be listed.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that while Harry gets lots of powerups it's never enough to let him curbstomp the problems he faces in successive books, usually not even enough to put him on even footing with whoever is trying to kill him. It gets supplemented by his own experience, tricks, and guile. Also lots of smart-assery.

And people already know his titles. That's partially why he terrifies so many factions in the world, because they don't see a guy who keeps getting into impossible situations and escaping by the skin of his teeth, they see his accomplishments and interpret them to mean he is far more powerful than he really is.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    the keeper of hades' trinkets

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Then Soulfire.

Besides the big power ups (Lasciel (Not just Hellfire but also knowledge), Little Chicago, Soulfire, Genus Loci, Winter Knight powers, Mom's knowledge of the Ways) Harry gets a lot of little power ups too.

Mostly in the form of experience and exercise. Because Harry gets involved in so many fights and so much magical trouble, he has had to exercise his talents far more than most other Wizards his age. He can throw more punches in a shorter amount of time because he is used to the punching match. I haven't gone back and checked it out book by book, but I get the feeling Harry can throw more fire etc during the later books then the earlier books. Because he has practiced his fire magic it comes easier to him (outside of when he couldn't use it), but also because he is used to the fatigue. Stuff that would knock a less experienced Wizard out is Harry's first punch. Usually to be followed by 2nd and 3rd punch.

Also Mega-Manning. If Harry sees someone do something and he can figure out how they do it, he will damn well steal their technique. Elaine has a chain that acts as a taser? Next book so does Harry. Luccio cuts monsters in half with a thin beam of fire, Harry tries the same thing in Changes (in the Nevernever where magic is easier, but still). Remember Thorned Namshiel's strangler spell? Remember what Harry hit the Naagloshii with?

Which I think leads into what really gives Harry his power ups. Skin Game says it best. Harry loves his Magic. Not just the blowing shit up aspect, but experimenting with it. Figuring out ways to help people with it, learning how to change a spell on the fly, etc. Harry loves Magic like a dedicated Martial Artist loves Martial Arts. Like a Fencer loves swordplay. Like a great mechanic likes working on cars. It makes him better and more versatile at magic. And that makes him stronger.
    To some degree I think that's the general way wizards get stronger - they study and experiment and learn, they craft and prepare. Harry has been swimming in the deep end nonstop though. There's only a handful of wizards who can beat him at magic any more (the Council and Ivy is probably about it), at least in a straight fight.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Welp, time to start re-reading Dresden, I guess.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Sarah Jones looks exactly as I picture Murphy. I think I started reading the files when Alcatraz was on the air, so I've always had her locked in as a possible casting.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The depiction of Dresden on the cover-art for the books looks kinda like Jared Padalecki (Sam from Supernatural) to me.

I dunno if I like him for the role, though.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The depiction of Dresden on the cover-art for the books looks kinda like Jared Padalecki (Sam from Supernatural) to me.

He has the chops, but he's not an option. Padalecki will be doing Supernatural until he's an old man, and so will Jensen Ackles. Personally, the height thing never was a deal breaker for me, characters generally can survive fine without it RE: Wolverine and Hugh Jackman. Wolverine in the comics is supposed to be a short guy.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

How old do you want to start him out? Josh Hartnett could play the current Harry, but not Storm Front Harry.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    How much does Dresden actually age throughout the series, though? Aren't Wizards supposed to age very slowly?

I figure he doesn't actually look much different between Storm Front and Skin Game.

I'm not sure how old he's technically supposed to be, but I always picture him at about 35.

RT800 on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I like this series, but boy when you list all of his power ups through the years it sounds frankly ridiculous.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Butcher does a good job keeping it sane within the narrative. Harry is lucky a ton of the time.
    Red Court annihilation I think being the biggest.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Most of the power-ups listed are kinda circumstantial.
    When I refer to "upgrades" I refer to Dresden's personal capabilities - not the allies he may call upon. He's got some steady friends, but I doubt he could really rely on powerhouses like Odin or Uriel to be at his beck and call.

And sure, he held the swords for a while but I don't think he could ever use them. He was just custodian. Now he doesn't even have them, if I recall.

The blood curse was just opportunism. Right place, right time. I doubt he could do it again if he tried and I doubt it would apply to anything other than vampires anyway.

I guess he could perform the Darkhallow but... I mean, would he? He'd basically have to be evil at that point.

Demon Reach is good, but really only when he's actually on Demon Reach.

His basic spells have gotten better, but that's to be expected with time and experience. He's definitely gotten stronger, but I don't really see the power creep you people are talking about. He's still just as apt to get his shit kicked in as not.
    One of the things I like most about Dresden is that he isn't that much of a power house (relatively speaking), but he always comes out looking like one due to being very resourceful and very very lucky.

RT800 on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Butcher does a good job keeping it sane within the narrative. Harry is lucky a ton of the time.

And even that was luck paired with the huge drawback of
    having to commit murder, essentially. Like, he made it happen, but it took a monstrous act.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

And even that was luck paired with the huge drawback of
    having to commit murder, essentially. Like, he made it happen, but it took a monstrous act.
    Is it monstrous if the person dying wants to? I jest.

• Options
    I guess he could perform the Darkhallow but... I mean, would he? He'd basically have to be evil at that point.
    He's threatened to use that on Mavra, I think, and it was on his list of options to get his daughter back so I wouldn't disregard that too quickly.

• Options
    He's threatened to use that on Mavra, I think, and it was on his list of options to get his daughter back so I wouldn't disregard that too quickly.
    Agreed.
    The fact that he hasn't used it only means he's found ways to step back from that line. If he gets put into a situation where that is the only way not to die horribly (or, more likely, the only way to save his loved ones from dying horribly) I imagine he'd go forward with only the slightest hesitation.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

He has absolutely gotten stronger over the books even without a tangible 'upgrade' Even in book one he was considered one of the most powerful in raw power and potential talent among the white council, he just was inexperienced.
    The events of his books have given him knowledge and experience and pushed his power to fit his potential. Hes always been a quick thinker. hes gotten more subtle with his magic. He has obviously also had several 'upgrades' that pushed his potential maximum higher. (Soulfire, Bond with Alfred, Knight,Hellfire (even if he doesnt have hellfire anymore, it made his fire magic more powerful). Most importantly since its been explained many times that emotion fuels magic, considering all the things hes had happen to him over the years he has an enourmous well of power to drawn on. Everytime he endured something like his encounter with the skinwalker, it makes him more powerful.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Then Soulfire.

Current book
    He's not a Warden of the White Council any more is he? He became the Winter Knight. Now he's just the Warden (of Demonreach). I'm actually not sure.

Huh, he could be announced rather impressively these days. Sir Harry Dresden, Knight of the Unseelie Fae, Warden of Demonreach, Wizard of the White Council, Za Lord... uh... and then you could go on and on with accomplishments. Banishing He Who Walks Behind, killing the entire Red Court, robbing the vault of Hades, former keeper of the Swords, etc. etc.

Through Skin Game:
    Harry is still a Warden, a Warden-Commander actually, I think. When he comes back from the dead, the Gatekeeper works with him to submit all the forms necessary to get him back on the lists and get his back-pay sent to him. The only thing that wasn't specified was whether Ramirez formally took over Harry's position as Warden Commander of the Midwest or if that position is his again now.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Upgrades:
    Actually not getting into specifics, I flipped through the DF roleplaying game books (which Butcher was heavily involved with IIRC) awhile back and one of the interesting things they did was explain Dresden's growth in ability over the course of the series in terms of the game's mechanics, broken down book by book up through Small Favor.

The canonicity's a little twitchy of course, but it was interesting seeing the "growing from moderately competent to genuinely really scary" through practice and experience as much as from gathering McGuffins and allies. Think things like "having to deal with Molly as an apprentice is forcing him to get better at X, Y and Z in order to teach her properly."

And Dresden's wizardpower levels in general:
    I seem to recall it mentioned somewhere in the books that in terms of pure ability to deposit energy on a target, Dresden's one of the few dozen strongest wizards on the planet, even if he's nowhere near that level in terms of his actual talents applying that strength. Am I offbase there? Was that in fact a thing that came up?