As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Had anyone ordered stuff from green stuff world? I keep trying to track my package and I can't, I was curious if anyone else has had this experience.

Yeah, whatever generates the tracking links for their site/emails is busted as fuck. Just manually copy the tracking code from their order page and put it into your local receiving service tracker. It’s basically international mail so they should at least have pre-notification that it’s coming.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    As someone who is just about to start dipping his toe into the hobby wysiwyg seems like a fucking crazy and stupid thing.

Especially when options models can have don't even come in the box with them sometimes.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    As someone who is just about to start dipping his toe into the hobby wysiwyg seems like a fucking crazy and stupid thing.
    I'm not sure you understand what wysiwyg is, because that's a weird opinion to have.

The anecdotes above are all about gamers with their pants on their head and have nothing to do with actual model fidelity. It's varied from edition to edition, but in the past GW has flat out stated that small things like grenades or pistols don't need to be modeled, because that's ridiculously fiddly. The anecdotes above also reference the small, individual model based games where some people are really invested in the rpg-like element of having their models reflect exactly what they've been through in the course of a campaign. Which is why I referred to the other guy in the story as a douch-nozzle, because he wasn't asking anything reasonable or expected, but being a dick about how HE thought the models should look.

The root of WYSUWYG is that you look at the model and know what it is and has. Good examples of models that fail it are 'those grey, unpainted legs attached to a base over there are assault marines. While those 10 grey, unpainted legs over there are devastators, who have 1 lascannon, 1 multimelta, and 2 plasma cannons, and one of them is a sergeant with a plasma pistol.' Or that their HQ unit over there who is built just like a normal marine doesn't roll up into combat and reveal he has ALL the special weapons. 'Golly, did I forget to mention that?" Or the ever popular 'the empty bases I painted blue are X, green are Y, and black are knight titans. Pretend the base is big enough for the footprint.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Converting and kitbashing stuff that doesnt exist is a proud tradition of wargaming! But GW's been steadily moving away from that, and only having rules for things with actual models, for better or worse.
    That said, wysiwyg's not that crazy, it's mostly just to communicate to your opponent what a model has. This guy has a plasmagun, or that tank has one big cannon, and three little guns. It becomes important when there are different options for the same model (this guy can take a meltagun OR a plasmagun. I should be able to tell which he has) No one really cares about minutia of standard wargear, like grenades or smoke launchers or sidearms or combat weapons.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think the Commanders expansion for Killteam is going to motivate me to finally paint my Birthday Battle Brother.

Honestly though it seems like the Librarian is going to be the default choice since odds are there are going to be a lot more psykers in games soon.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My guess for new psykers:
    Librarian
    Brotherhood Champ
    Farseer
    GSC Patriarch
    GSC Magus
    Tzeentch Exalted Sorceror
    Shadowseer
    Broodlord
    maybe Zoanthrope

That's all the plastic models I think. Of course they could also throw in som metal/resin models like Chaos Sorcerors for factions that don't have enough plastics.

Generally Death Guard, Harlequins, and GSC could be the factions with the most commanders in addition to the already revealed Militarum, DW, and Marines.

honovere on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    With the Necromunda article today mentioning spyers and knowing the game is in forgeworld's court I kind of fear the models are going to be 25+ and I have no idea where my tiny gang is

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Generally Death Guard, Harlequins, and GSC could be the factions with the most commanders in addition to the already revealed Militarum, DW, and Marines.

Of the Eldar factions the Harlequins are almost certainly getting the most commanders - Troupe Masters, Shadowseers, Death Jesters and even Solitaires are all possibilities. Drukhari are probably just Archons and Succubi given the absence of Wracks from their main list.

Craftworlders are going to be, what, just Farseers? Maybe Spiritseers too and possibly an Autarch if flying stuff is suddenly cool in Kill Team?

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Of the Eldar factions the Harlequins are almost certainly getting the most commanders - Troupe Masters, Shadowseers, Death Jesters and even Solitaires are all possibilities. Drukhari are probably just Archons and Succubi given the absence of Wracks from their main list.

Craftworlders are going to be, what, just Farseers? Maybe Spiritseers too and possibly an Autarch if flying stuff is suddenly cool in Kill Team?

Well in the xenos book you could have a jump pack on your autarch they overlooked this in the codex

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Given where they drew the line and my immediate and visceral desire to get them out, non-Avenger Aspect Warriors seem possible but unlikely.

• Options

Tau already have stealth suits and drones with fly. Reivers can almost fly. I think we'll see the autarch before the spiritseer as long as the new plastic version is exclusive to Wake the Dead. Personally I also think spiritseers without wraith units don't make much sense. Gimme new warlocks already GW.

• Options
    I still use the bug helmed one as my farseer
    I got another to paint as a ynnari/siam hann one in the made to order stuff

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My guess for new psykers:
    Librarian
    Brotherhood Champ
    Farseer
    GSC Patriarch
    GSC Magus
    Tzeentch Exalted Sorceror
    Shadowseer
    Broodlord
    maybe Zoanthrope

That's all the plastic models I think. Of course they could also throw in som metal/resin models like Chaos Sorcerors for factions that don't have enough plastics.

plaguecasters too

EDIT: also warlocks and wyrdboys?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Warlocks aren't plastic because Craftworlders aren't allowed nice things

• Options
    Wyrdboys and warlocks are resin. It would be nice if they were there but I don't expect it.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Wyrdboyz might not be for long though with the ork book coming out.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh are we complaining about Resin well have I introduced you to my character line as Chaos?*

*Eldar has 100% right to bitch on this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Oh are we complaining about Resin well have I introduced you to my character line as Chaos?*

I really forsee when the Sisters of battle come out they will have new chaos marines since the realm of chaos is rebooting Slaanesh and maybe Khrone?

But yeah I remember those eldar from when I was still in Afghanistan

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I really forsee when the Sisters of battle come out they will have new chaos marines since the realm of chaos is rebooting Slaanesh and maybe Khrone?

Chaos has characters old enough to vote, some old enough to drink.

I think Eldar are old enough to have family and a mortgage.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

I bought some Necron HQs and those finecast models were a nightmare.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Ragnar is waving his aged lead-filled fist

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Ragnar is waving his aged lead-filled fist

I am still amazed at the sculpt from then of him
    Even though it is a flat cast and his backpack with flag poles he and Ulrik are amazing

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »

I bought some Necron HQs and those finecast models were a nightmare.

I only have the previous Cryptek and Szeras whom I had to nearly boil to bend into place

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Getting back into the hobby this last year, after being out of 40k since college, I can't be bothered to buy anything metal or resin. I'll build my lists around plastic kits and suffer with the results if that's the case. Plastic is just so easy.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Getting back into the hobby this last year, after being out of 40k since college, I can't be bothered to buy anything metal or resin. I'll build my lists around plastic kits and suffer with the results if that's the case. Plastic is just so easy.

Metal's okay, if a bit of a pain to work with at times.

Games Workshop's resin is the fucking devil and I refuse to buy anything made in it. I thought after they dropped the Finecast label that they might have improved it, but one shitty squad of Rangers later convinced me that I'd much rather convert units out of plastic kits than suffer through it again.

• Options
    Is there a better option for metal than super glue?

Like, can I use JB weld or another epoxy, and get better results?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I just picked up the first strike box and the mould line remover tool because I have poor impulse control.

I was very excited to discover that my favourite stinky bois, the Death Guard, have their own codex now! And some real nice/gross models too.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm not sure you understand what wysiwyg is, because that's a weird opinion to have.

The anecdotes above are all about gamers with their pants on their head and have nothing to do with actual model fidelity. It's varied from edition to edition, but in the past GW has flat out stated that small things like grenades or pistols don't need to be modeled, because that's ridiculously fiddly. The anecdotes above also reference the small, individual model based games where some people are really invested in the rpg-like element of having their models reflect exactly what they've been through in the course of a campaign. Which is why I referred to the other guy in the story as a douch-nozzle, because he wasn't asking anything reasonable or expected, but being a dick about how HE thought the models should look.

The root of WYSUWYG is that you look at the model and know what it is and has. Good examples of models that fail it are 'those grey, unpainted legs attached to a base over there are assault marines. While those 10 grey, unpainted legs over there are devastators, who have 1 lascannon, 1 multimelta, and 2 plasma cannons, and one of them is a sergeant with a plasma pistol.' Or that their HQ unit over there who is built just like a normal marine doesn't roll up into combat and reveal he has ALL the special weapons. 'Golly, did I forget to mention that?" Or the ever popular 'the empty bases I painted blue are X, green are Y, and black are knight titans. Pretend the base is big enough for the footprint.'

I mean yeah I think there should be limits to what's allowed and that the extreme examples in your last paragraph should be dealt with.

But on the other hand I bought some guys to make kill team people with and the book says that some of them can take a sword or chainsaw and there are no swords or chainsaws in the box.

So the idea of WYSIWYG makes me scared that I'll go to an event and won't be allowed to give my guy a sword. As an example.

Or say I wanted to add a scout or two. Whoops, I can either buy the box that comes with sniper rifles or the box that comes with...shotguns I think? Guess if I want to have one of each I might be expected to buy two boxes?

Or whoops, I didn't do some magnet stuff earlier and I want to change my gun type? Guess I'm just screwed then?

I think there are reasonable expectations that you are using the right models for unit types, but that's where it stops for me. Loadouts shouldn't be WYSIWYG IMO. As long as everything is clearly recorded, and made clear to both players, that should be enough. Hell, I WANT to have my guys look as accurate as they can. But if I can't do it with what comes in the box, I'm not gonna.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Playing kill team with my brother I kind of want to build a small not black templar space marine squad
    Just what chapter is a debate of I could do Redmaw's company of Space wolves just to have different but similar to what my brother does or Mantis warriors! because by doing a ideal of 5 to 10 I can customize them to how they progress just the later I would have to free hand or make my own transfers

But with the Rogue Trader expansion I thought if they continue this I thought I would like to see really interesting maps/boards like attacking a Hive Fleet ship

15vvck8rfs3c.png
    Just do the board so it's random in someway

And other ideas for game boards I thought of

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Generally speaking in casual games WYSIWYG is pretty loosely enforced, the trick is being consistent across your force about it.

GW stores tend to be sticklers about it because they want you to buy more models. Tournaments tend to be strict on it because speed of play is very important and models not looking like what they actually are can be a real problem.

Casual games usually don’t care. Ymmv.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I generally like WYSIWYG. It helps a lot with the immersion and often looks better. Otherwise I could play with abstract markers on a field of shoe boxes. I'll probably play something suboptimal if I don't have the proper models.

I do love me some proxies if they are the result of a characterful custom conversion though.

honovere on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »
    I just picked up the first strike box and the mould line remover tool because I have poor impulse control.

I was very excited to discover that my favourite stinky bois, the Death Guard, have their own codex now! And some real nice/gross models too.

the Death Guard are in a pretty good place right now, lots of new plastic models that are absolutely gorgeous.
    they also play quite well too, not usually top tier (except in Kill team where they are king) but good enough to hold their own without too much trouble.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Nechriah wrote: »

the Death Guard are in a pretty good place right now, lots of new plastic models that are absolutely gorgeous.
    they also play quite well too, not usually top tier (except in Kill team where they are king) but good enough to hold their own without too much trouble.

Death Guard have pretty much always been my favourite traitor legion since I first got into 40K. Back then they just had some fairly bland metal models though, so I’m stoked at the amount of love they’ve gotten from GW since.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Happy to be wrong, Warlocks are in for Craftworlds

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/10/10th-oct-kill-team-xenos-commandersgw-homepage-post-1/

Shadowfields for Archons seem pretty nasty in Killteam

196 points for a lvl 4 Broodlord? I thought the limit was 150 points. Maybe for later stage campaigns were normal games can already be 150 points?

Going by the text Autarchs also get weapon option, so I guess you might also get the option the footslogging version from the xenos index? That would be nice.

All the Aura Tactics seem super cheap for what you get.

honovere on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Where did you read about a limit?
    The standard for current killteams is 100pts (but you can increase them to whatever), but given that most commanders are at least 100points by themselves (judging by the rogue trader rules), standard points for commander games will probably be 200pts (100ish for a commander, 100ish for the mooks. Or in the case of the broodlord, 196pts for one jacked out commander). Keep in mind that if you're using commanders, EVERYONE needs to use a commander. So you can't have 200points of guardsmen or grots or whatever.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    150 points is the limit for commander games in the Rogue Trader expansion which from what we've been shown so far from the Commanders expansion seems nearly identical ruleswise. The Rogue Trader expansions even mentions the Commanders expansion.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Where did you read about a limit?
    The standard for current killteams is 100pts (but you can increase them to whatever), but given that most commanders are at least 100points by themselves (judging by the rogue trader rules), standard points for commander games will probably be 200pts (100ish for a commander, 100ish for the mooks. Or in the case of the broodlord, 196pts for one jacked out commander). Keep in mind that if you're using commanders, EVERYONE needs to use a commander. So you can't have 200points of guardsmen or grots or whatever.
    Rius wrote: »
    They're supposedly upping the matched play points so you can add in a commander OR just add more units. Not sure where I read that.

Edit: From the earlier article;
    Commanders can be used in special open, narrative and matched play missions that allow higher points limits than ordinary games of Kill Team, enabling you to include a Commander alongside your normal kill team or field a larger kill team against them.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Ah, I guess my skimming of the roguetrader book was off. I missed the 150pt cap for games. Bringing a lvl4 broodlord seems like only for special campaigns or up-point games then.
    Apparently you can also field multiple commanders, as the only stipulation is that you can't field multiples of the same type?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    1 in 4 genestealers can take an acid maw... also, 1 in 4 genestealers can take flesh hooks.

Can these be the same jacked up genestealers or do they need to be different?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for the commanders, just wish I had my Crypteks. I have the one from forgebane and the named HQ Cryptek and that is it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.