As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Sure, but he has to not just know, but know in very specific detail to suppose a bell would be useful, which is hard to imagine anyone conveying to him. Plus, it's not just a bell but a significant bell for no real reason besides like, hey, let's add lore to every returning-from-BB object.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Sure, but he has to not just know, but know in very specific detail to suppose a bell would be useful, which is hard to imagine anyone conveying to him. Plus, it's not just a bell but a significant bell for no real reason besides like, hey, let's add lore to every returning-from-BB object.
    The silent twins were there when he was doing the tapping therapy, weren't they? He could have just had a conversation with them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Finale
    We knew this was the intended destination...I cling to hope for Kim.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Welp.

Finale spoilers (FOR REAL! DO NOT CLICK!)
    That was a downer ending. RIP Werner. RIP Mike's Soul. RIP Jimmy McGill. RIP Kim's dreams. RIP Fred the bank teller.

Odenkirk's delivery on the last line was kinda chilling, actually.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I didn't quite get Kim's reaction at the end...
    I mean, she knew the whole thing was a contrived plot and that Saul was devoid of any real emotion or grief. She literally encouraged him to not eat to keep up the appearance of being sad.

So why does she seemed so surprised at his response? I mean I get that they are framing it as an "oh my God what have I done?" type of thing, but for me it's not believable since that's the way he's been about it the whole time.

Yall on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    I mean, she knew the whole thing was a contrived plot and that Saul was devoid of any real emotion or grief. She literally encouraged him to not eat to keep up the appearance of being sad.

So why does she seemed so surprised at his response? I mean I get that they are framing it as an "oh my God what have I done?" type of thing, but for me it's not believable since that's the way he's been about it the whole time.
    There is a big difference between emphasizing emotions that you feel somewhat and just completely fabricating them wholesale to be manipulative. Pretty sure that Kim though Jimmy was mostly ashamed of showing his emotions regarding Chuck. That last bit shows that it was all completely fabricated and really close to actively malicious against the board members. Remember that Kim is still a part of the legal orthodoxy that they represent. She may think that Jimmy was unfairly treated by them but she doesn't question the validity of their entire existence like Jimmy really clearly does now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »

I read it as Kim finally realizing that Jimmy hasn't just been suppressing his grief about Chuck to keep a stiff upper lip or whatever, he genuinely doesn't feel any kind of grief or anything over his brother's death.
    But when he walked out and was laughing about bringing the one guy to tears (having not noticed Kim wiping a tear away), it brought everything into focus.
    I could have read that wrong though.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    That was a fantastic final shift to Saul.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm curious about the rest of the German workers though.
    Do you kill them off? One German goes missing, it can be covered up as an accident. But the entire team?
    That's a really serious accident that's going to draw a lot of attention. And when there's no accident site to be found, I can't help but imagine that's going to raise even more questions.

On the other hand, if you send them home and they start hearing stories about how their boss died in a work site accident that they didn't see? One of them's going to talk sooner or later.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    "I just want to honour the name of McGill."

"Congratulations, you're a lawyer again."

"Sweet, let me just change my name real quick."

I guess that's one way to honour it - never use it for criminal lawyering :P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I really liked the episode.
    What a great opening. We see the mcGills having a genuine moment, but his brother still steals the spotlight with his natural singing voice. Yet, they bond, and have genuine fun singing in bed.

Then another one with Michael en the german. Great stuff. There was a weird tonal cut to the chemist who saw the lair, but I understand why that was needed, it just lessened the emotions from the scene before.

I think Jimmy might be even sincere when changing his name to protect the mcGill legacy.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    season finale
    jimmy mcgill killed himself in the parking lot with one final, lethal dose of self pity and loathing

then saul goodman was born

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Super bummed that this was the end of the season

It has felt like the slowest of slow burns, but with enough stuff to make me desperate to find out what happens next

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I think the thing with Kim at the end was
    She was disgusted and shocked because, even though she was in on it, in the end she fell for Jimmy's bullshit speech herself. That's gotta be a deep cut for any trust she might have had in him.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    She was disgusted and shocked because, even though she was in on it, in the end she fell for Jimmy's bullshit speech herself. That's gotta be a deep cut for any trust she might have had in him.
    Kim wanted to believe. And that's when you're most vulnerable to the con.

• Options

I hadn't thought of that but it does make a little more sense now.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    see317 wrote: »
    Do you kill them off? One German goes missing, it can be covered up as an accident. But the entire team?
    That's a really serious accident that's going to draw a lot of attention. And when there's no accident site to be found, I can't help but imagine that's going to raise even more questions.

On the other hand, if you send them home and they start hearing stories about how their boss died in a work site accident that they didn't see? One of them's going to talk sooner or later.

Yeah,
    I don’t like their odds of making it back to the Hofbräuhaus for a Maßbier. We’ve seen what Gustavo is capable of even when the Salamancas are not breathing down his neck and he has the plot armor of being best buds with half the DEA. What we’re seeing here is an even darker and more dangerous Gus Fring.

Also, while we’re marking the passing of the casualties of this episode, let’s pour one out for that song at the start. Michael McKean killed it. Didn’t even make it to the twang-bump-bump-a-bump-twang.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    It is going to be a long wait for the next season.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    What was that bit all about with Jimmy and the scholarship girl?

Oh, and was the location Mike took Werner the same place Walt and Jesse take Saul?

Oakey on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    It made Jimmy realize they would look down on him no matter what, that he was unable to change her mind, just like he would the board, when he was being sincere. The trick was to sound sincere. His brother always looked through that, and now Kim has the same problem, thinking Jimmy is always lying.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    It made Jimmy realize they would look down on him no matter what, that he was unable to change her mind, just like he would the board, when he was being sincere. The trick was to sound sincere. His brother always looked through that, and now Kim has the same problem, thinking Jimmy is always lying.

Also that he couldn't get through to the board re: her scholarship because to them she was defined by her misdeed. He was facing the same problem re: his re-barment (you know what I mean) hearing.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

Yeah,
    I don’t like their odds of making it back to the Hofbräuhaus for a Maßbier. We’ve seen what Gustavo is capable of even when the Salamancas are not breathing down his neck and he has the plot armor of being best buds with half the DEA. What we’re seeing here is an even darker and more dangerous Gus Fring.

Also, while we’re marking the passing of the casualties of this episode, let’s pour one out for that song at the start. Michael McKean killed it. Didn’t even make it to the twang-bump-bump-a-bump-twang.

Shouldn't come as a surprise. After all he's done lead vocals on 3 albums that charted in the top 200 across 3 decades. ;)

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Oakey wrote: »
    What was that bit all about with Jimmy and the scholarship girl?
    Jimmy was projecting himself on the scholarship girl, which is the show's way of hammering home that Jimmy's true downfall is his self-loathing. In this case, Jimmy feels that the local law community will never truly accept him or give him a chance as a real, straight-arrow lawyer, just like the scholarship board wouldn't give her a chance because she shoplifted. He feels he's scum and is treated like scum, so he might as well act like it -- even though he was just handed a second chance to do some good. On paper, this situation doesn't force him to become Saul, but Jimmy felt he had no choice.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Yeah,
    The industrial accident would be more convincing if *everyone* died and no-one made it back to Germany to say “Wonder what happened to our foreman. He vanished in the middle of the night and they said he was killed in an industrial accident.” But 15 Germans dead in a hush-hush construction project would logically have the German authorities raising a big enough stink to get an actual investigation.

• Options
    Oh hey, the show actually created a website for Huell's "church." Bonus points for what happens when you click the donate button.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Number works too

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That wasn't the finale was it? There's still a couple episodes left for this season, right?

Also Jimmy is such a fucking shit lord. I wish Kim would stop sticking by him... Though, maybe now she fully sees it. Hopefully the transformation is complete, because I'm eager to see some pre-Walter White criminal lawyer shenanigans.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That wasn't the finale was it? There's still a couple episodes left for this season, right?

Also Jimmy is such a fucking shit lord. I wish Kim would stop sticking by him... Though, maybe now she fully sees it. Hopefully the transformation is complete, because I'm eager to see some pre-Walter White criminal lawyer shenanigans.

Yep, that's it for the season.

Interesting place to leave it, since
    both Saul and Mike's transformations are essentially complete.
    I'm guessing next season will show the consequences of that, plus hooks into Breaking Bad.

Edit: Come to think of it, Breaking Bad felt "complete" at the end of the fourth season as well ("I won"), but there was still plenty of story to tell when it came to Walter's downfall.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Dang, that stinks. Now I've got nothing to watch again... I wish GoT would hurry the eff up.

There's still plenty to show for Saul at least. He had to do something to earn his reputation with the scumbags in town before Walter shows up.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    So, uh, holy crap. Vince Gilligan is working on a two-hour film with ties to Breaking Bad.

• Options
    My guess is that it's going to be a TV Movie for AMC, but whatever I'll take it. It's supposedly about a "kidnapped man and his fight for freedom" or something along those lines. A Jesse epilogue maybe? Huell's daring escape from that empty house after no one ever came back for him? :P

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My guess is that it's going to be a TV Movie for AMC, but whatever I'll take it. It's supposedly about a "kidnapped man and his fight for freedom" or something along those lines. A Jesse epilogue maybe? Huell's daring escape from that empty house after no one ever came back for him? :P

Ted Beneke's struggle to walk again after being gravely injured escaping from the henchmen of the infamous Heisenberg?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

Confirmed to be a Jesse sequel. Still unclear if it's a TV movie or will be in theaters.

I dunno, BCS is so great that I'm obviously on board for anything Gilligan throws at us, but I kinda liked Jesse's fate being left open-ended. I don't want to watch him suffer any more, but somehow I doubt "He totally escapes and lives happily ever after on a farm with 100 puppies" is the direction they'll go in, even though I would totally watch that.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Bam, called it.

I'm also on board for anything Gilligan wants to do. BCS is way better than it has any right to be, he knows what he's doing and I have complete faith in him. I'm hoping Jesse gets to reunite with Badger and Skinny Pete, and makes it to Alaska to live in peace and make stuff out of wood.

Also he'll probably be dealing with some pretty bad PTSD :(

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Rhea Seehorn is on Veep this season, apparently.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Still waiting on the latest season to hit Netflix and I am sad and missing out.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    No Saul in 2019.

Bummer.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    What? Booooo. Better not get canceled.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Anyone else read that in Saul's voice?

• Options

It's some weird scheduling thing with the holidays or something.