As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Tomb of Annihilation spoiler regarding chapter 5 and a skull
    The cursed golden skull that constantly insults the first one to touch it is so much fun. The bard in the party couldn't keep his hands of the shiny gold and is now paying the price :biggrin:

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Curse of Strahd game is going great

My aasimar wizard is addicted to meat pies and is an alcoholic, the hopeless shut in who lives in an attic is infatuated with me, we found a bunch of vampires and didn't know what to do with them since they were sleeping so I made a big pit with mold earth in the church graveyard and dumped them in there

The burgermeister is in love with my ideas for town governance and wants to put me on the committee for festivals and the party warlock was lured away by a strange woman who invited him to join a fiendish cult, when he revealed (to the players our characters still dont know) that he worship's asmodeus - right after the party actually found out my character is an Aasimar, uhh ohhh

override367 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    The cursed golden skull that constantly insults the first one to touch it is so much fun. The bard in the party couldn't keep his hands of the shiny gold and is now paying the price :biggrin:
    Are you playing or running the game? I have a comment about how the game I played in messed with the skull, but I don't want to prevent your own creativity if you're a player...

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    So I changed up the name of the talking dagger. He goes by the name of Malfortune now. And the party loved "Mal". His pessimism was charming. They especially liked how he described getting "The tingles" when his Warning power turned on.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Are you playing or running the game? I have a comment about how the game I played in messed with the skull, but I don't want to prevent your own creativity if you're a player...

I'm the Dungeon Master so fire away.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I'm the Dungeon Master so fire away.
    Well at one point we picked up a very heavy object to weigh the pressure plate down that activated the giant adamantium fan, and then the Wizard Misty Stepped to the other side of it, causing the skull to accelerate towards him and get caught up in the fan blades.

Our GM said that he bounced around in there for like five minutes before the blades finally seized up. The skull was glowing red-hot afterwards. Didn't damage the skull, but it did mean we actually broke the fan!

Also, the Wizard figured out, but never got a chance to act upon, that the skull would be disabled by the Beholder's anti-magic beam and then could be disintegrated. That would have been cool.

I feel like there were a few other moments where we messed with the skull, but those two I can remember off the top of my head without consulting my notes.

DarkPrimus on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Alright my mini just showed up from hero forge, and coincidentally the black surface primer I just ordered showed up as well! I know what I'm doing tonight.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited October 2018
    Just an FYI Hero forge plastic mini's generally don't need to be primed as they already have been

override367 on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Just an FYI Hero forge plastic mini's generally don't need to be primed as they already have been

Only the base plastic has been primed. The premium plastic has not been primed. Which I didn't specify in my previous post, but is what I ordered.

webguy20 on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about ways to play/run Curse of Strahd as a PbP. I really think the RP/Flavour aspects of the module would work better as a PbP than IRL with my chucklehead friends.

But its a lot, man. I'd break my own rule of running PbP's (keep it short-ish, with a definite end point!) because running something that long and open ended is bound to end up in failure. Which would make me sad.

Steelhawk wrote: »
    I've been thinking about ways to play/run Curse of Strahd as a PbP. I really think the RP/Flavour aspects of the module would work better as a PbP than IRL with my chucklehead friends.

But its a lot, man. I'd break my own rule of running PbP's (keep it short-ish, with a definite end point!) because running something that long and open ended is bound to end up in failure. Which would make me sad.

Good luck! It took us a year to get through that campaign, averaging 3 hours a week in person. Pbp seems like it would take so much longer.

edited October 2018
    I'm patiently waiting on a hero forge mini myself, idk at what point this hobby got so expensive

override367 on
    I'm patiently waiting on a hero forge mini myself, idk at what point this hobby got so expensive

Reaper is still pretty cheap. Im willing to pay the hero forge price to get a mini i may use for over a year to look exactly how I want them to.

Also since you can change the proportions sliders you can actually create female characters who aren't falling out of their armor. The lady in our group is very happy about that.

webguy20 wrote: »

Good luck! It took us a year to get through that campaign, averaging 3 hours a week in person. Pbp seems like it would take so much longer.

Oh yes. To do the whole thing would take years, for sure. My Undermountain game took more than a year and that was just a small-ish section of the top level of the dungeon. Its such a long commitment that any number of things can crop up and derail the campaign. It feels like going all in of Curse of Strahd is just asking for trouble.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Oh yes. To do the whole thing would take years, for sure. My Undermountain game took more than a year and that was just a small-ish section of the top level of the dungeon. Its such a long commitment that any number of things can crop up and derail the campaign. It feels like going all in of Curse of Strahd is just asking for trouble.

Ha! I'm DMing it, in person, once a week for about 3 hours. I'm about to have our second child in a month or so, so will be taking a break while another in our group DMs the new Waterdeep adventure. After a month or two the plan is we will alternate weeks, this making each adventure take even longer.

My group is 5th lvl and just about done with Argynvostholt for now
    unless they feel emboldened by the addition of Ezmeralda to their little menagerie and attempt to go back in to fight the head revenant to steal the thing they think he has instead of doing the quest they were tasked with.
    i got a rude surprise for them if they do.

steam_sig.png
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Congrats on kiddo #2 Smrtnik.

Speaking of little ones, by 6 year old drew me a Beholder to hang in my office.

DpJc71XXcAEiHX3.jpg

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That's solid!

We finished up our Out of the Abyss campaign tonight. We technically succeeded and defeated the big bad, there was fallout though. My minotaur took up Baphomets blade a few weeks ago, and competed his downfall, one guy became an eldricht horror, one guy got his brain replaced a few weeks ago by one of those mindflayer brain things, and got power word killed tonight. Our kobold fighter/rogue became a half dragon, and our death domain cleric got to start up her own spy school. So a few folks got happy endings, and honestly the guy who got turned into a horror was pretty pleased. He ended up starting a cult.

That sounds pretty epic!

The group I dm Tomb of Annihilation for ended the last session at the door to the final big bad and and I'm currently writing an epilogue like an end credits scene for the campaign for all the things that has happended and the npc's and groups they have worked with. Looking forward to reading it to them if they survive :biggrin:

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Huge Curse of Strahd session last night. I'm so happy.
    Soooo much happened last night, so the spoiled section is a little longer then I normally write. I'm still excited by it.

We're in the treasure room of the Amber Temple when we get jumped by Strahd's Dusk Elf (I forgot his name). He drops Kassimir (speeling?) in a brutal stabbing and then gets dog piled and trapped before he can escape. Our cleric tends to Kassimir and we decided we've learned all we can here, it's time to go back to Vallaki.

We're running out of daylight and decide to try and make to to Van Richten's tower, but the sunsets before we get there. A witch in a flying skull comes barreling out of the sky after us and starts tossing big spells into the group. A lightning bolt slams the party. Then a fireball. She's still flying out of reach of a lot of our abilities, but the our Fighter Battlemaster is just hammering her with arrows, enough that she casts one last spell and flees. Cloudkill gets dropped on half the party. I'm up next in initiative and use Mantle of Inspiration to give everyone a free move to get out of the gas.

When we get to the Vallaki gates we find out the Lady Wachter has forbid our entrance into the town. I thank them anyway and throw them some coin. At that point we travel along the city walls until we reach the right point. Only the Warlock in the group knows what is going on and I'm giddy with excitement. Rescuing Stella had become of huge importance to my Bard, he'd sat in her room and played her music a few times in addition to giving her a few prestidigitation clean ups. The fact that her mother hated us more each time we came to town just made it more fun. Anyway, standing outside the town gates I announce to everyone, "I cast Dimension Door and teleport into Stella's Bedroom". There's a surprised cat girl looking at me and I quickly pull out the Greater Restoration scroll and cast it. With her mind returned Stella and my bard have a quick, hushed conversation and the two Dimension Door back to the rest of the party. My DM was floored, he loved it. I had quietly taken Dimension Door two levels ago and never made it know to the rest of the party (except for the Warlock).

Once Stella talked to the rest of the party we found out more about her mother. The dead dad in the bed, the spellcasting, the cult, etc. We also were 99% sure the Sun Sword was in her possession. Stella says she'd publicly out her mother if I was there with her. We decided to go in with the intent to hurt as few people as possible. We'd really made a mess of things with the first Burgermaster so we didn't want to be known as the weirdos who kept killing the town's leadership.

We're stopped at the gate where I ask if I can at least play a song for the guards, since it was a boring duty. Enthralling Performance charmed all 5. We're in. There are two guards at front of the Wachter house a quick persuasion roll sends them both to get a glass of wine. I knock on the door and one of the maids answers. It's the one I've already befriended, she says the Lady of the house is in the cellar and to be careful. I tell her to get somewhere safe and after getting a kiss on the cheek she beats feet out of there.

Most of the group is downstairs waiting for anyone to come up from the cellar. Our thief and Warlock quickly go up the stairs. They find the body, the bones, and the swords. They make it down the stairs when we have to end for the night.

So many sessions of befriending NPCs, building contacts, etc and it all finally paid off tonight. I can't wait to see the rest of the fallout next week.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    That's awesome. My group is too chaotic to build those kinds of relationships. I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a bit jealous!

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    So I got to play my first character of 5E D&D on Saturday. I ended up going with Moon Druid just because if I never play again, since druids are my favorite, I wanted to say I had played one. At level 8 he was in an awkward stage of shapeshifting but oh well.

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Moon Beam - Double Awesome
    Summon Creature - I'm sorry? You want more bears to go with your bears? TRY AND BEAR WITH ME! (I was bear themed and would only shift to a bear/summon bears, even if they aren't the OPTIMAL way to go. BEARS FOR DAYS)
    Goodberries - Yep
    More Goodberries - Still yep.

Never used a 4th level slot, which would have just been an upcasted Moon Beam probably but eh.

The game was super railroad but I didn't care. My brother tried his best and fell into a few of the standard DM pitfalls of "I'm telling this story and no matter what you do, this is the way it plays out". But rather than criticize, I'm going encouragement because he's trying something new. And we made our own personal touches with RP between characters if that's all we had and it was great.

Yo guys, being a PC in D&D is fun. Who knew?

All jokes aside, it really does help stoke my own creative juices for DMing later to make sure I put as much agency on the players as possible to make sure they know their decisions matter.

edited October 2018
    Nyht wrote: »
    So I got to play my first character of 5E D&D on Saturday. I ended up going with Moon Druid just because if I never play again, since druids are my favorite, I wanted to say I had played one. At level 8 he was in an awkward stage of shapeshifting but oh well.

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Summon Creature - I'm sorry? You want more bears to go with your bears? TRY AND BEAR WITH ME! (I was bear themed and would only shift to a bear/summon bears, even if they aren't the OPTIMAL way to go. BEARS FOR DAYS)
    Goodberries - Yep

Never used a 4th level slot, which would have just been an upcasted Moon Beam probably but eh.

The game was super railroad but I didn't care. My brother tried his best and fell into a few of the standard DM pitfalls of "I'm telling this story and no matter what you do, this is the way it plays out". But rather than criticize, I'm going encouragement because he's trying something new. And we made our own personal touches with RP between characters if that's all we had and it was great.

All jokes aside, it really does help stoke my own creative juices for DMing later to make sure I put as much agency on the players as possible to make sure they know their decisions matter.

working with the wizard in a game im currently in, we enchanted the dwarf's bag of holding with two glyphs of warding

If someone sticks their hand in and tries to take out his ancestral maul other than him, the glyphs go off and 16 full sized elk shoot out and ram them to death

override367 on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

working with the wizard in a game im currently in, we enchanted the dwarf's bag of holding with two glyphs of warding

If someone sticks their hand in and tries to take out his ancestral maul other than him, the glyphs go off and 16 full sized elk shoot out and ram them to death

Like directly out of the bag like a geyser of elk flesh? Or get summoned and perform the ramming. Because I'm imagining the first one, and oh boy could that be weaponized.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Bought Waterdeep Dragon Heist and have never DMed before but gonna do it for this fingers crossed

• Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    Good luck, Squid!

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
    My LMoP group is FINALLY meeting back up on Sunday. I've been hyping up that this is the first encounter the party has with a dragon! The young green in Thundertree.

This encounter is going to start off the session and now I'm scared that I've oversold it and am going to fuck it up.

I kinda want to have the dragon aware of then and perched menacingly on the rafters. I want it to talk to the PC's with cold threats and indignation that they would invade it lair. I want to play up the majesty of this creature even though it's still a toddler. But if I do.... they PCs are probably all going to die.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Bought Waterdeep Dragon Heist and have never DMed before but gonna do it for this fingers crossed

Nice, which season you thinking of picking?

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

this is awesome. I assume your GM hand-waved the range limit on Glyph of Warding because of the sheer coolness of this?

Moridin889 wrote: »

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

Like directly out of the bag like a geyser of elk flesh? Or get summoned and perform the ramming. Because I'm imagining the first one, and oh boy could that be weaponized.

Yes, the bag spews forth an elkstorm

Anzekay wrote: »

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

this is awesome. I assume your GM hand-waved the range limit on Glyph of Warding because of the sheer coolness of this?

The only thing we hand waved was that I cast the spell that went in the glyph that the wizard created, technically you have to do both with the creation. The glyph is on the interior of bag, I guess the way we do bags of holding is kinda homebrewed? It's basically just a big stationary spherical demiplane with walls. The range limit is fine since we touched the sides of the interior of the bag

The rules for summoning creatures in the spell are followed as far as I know, since the elks just have to work their way out of the bag's opening (which again, probably isn't legit since i dont think actual bags of holding stretch open that far by RAW)

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    ah the thing I mean is that it says it breaks if the object you cast it on moves more than 10ft away from the location you cast the spell

but for this sort of thing it's too cool and an edge case anyway

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    *pushes up glasses*
    Technically the extradimensional space where the glyph is inscribed inside the bag of holding is not in fact moving in it's own reference frame.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

I'm kind of curious, why elk?

I mean, there're all kind of nasty critters that you could choose to summon (and elk are certainly nasty if you get too close, I'm not arguing that). I'm just curious why you settled on the Elk Storm (I'm pretty sure that gets to be capitalized), instead of, say, a hurricane of dire badgers or a ferret tsunami or what ever.
    I suppose the Elkstorm could also be useful if you needed to summon up food for a starving village or something... "Okay, Frank's going to reach into the bag, everyone else get your bows or spells ready... And Frank? Remember to duck and cover..."

Edit: And Shelzar, no necrotic damage this time, huh? People got to eat these things. A little freezer burn, or the normal kind of burn, is fine. But nobody likes eating necrotic meats.

see317 on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

I mean, there're all kind of nasty critters that you could choose to summon (and elk are certainly nasty if you get too close, I'm not arguing that). I'm just curious why you settled on the Elk Storm (I'm pretty sure that gets to be capitalized), instead of, say, a hurricane of dire badgers or a ferret tsunami or what ever.
    I suppose the Elkstorm could also be useful if you needed to summon up food for a starving village or something... "Okay, Frank's going to reach into the bag, everyone else get your bows or spells ready... And Frank? Remember to duck and cover..."

This reminds me of how much I'd love to write a setting where the implications of readily available D&D magic are actually thought out. I don't know enough about anthropology or economics or whatever, but I imagine a world in which there would be no scarcity and no fear of disease or natural death would be pretty different from the typical pseudo-medieval settings we usually get.

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

Edit: And Shelzar, no necrotic damage this time, huh? People got to eat these things. A little freezer burn, or the normal kind of burn, is fine. But nobody likes eating necrotic meats.

Elk are CR 1/4 so you can summon 8 of them per Conjure Animals spell, and they have a save or be knocked prone

Just an endless herd of getting run over

edited October 2018
    Denada wrote: »

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

This reminds me of how much I'd love to write a setting where the implications of readily available D&D magic are actually thought out. I don't know enough about anthropology or economics or whatever, but I imagine a world in which there would be no scarcity and no fear of disease or natural death would be pretty different from the typical pseudo-medieval settings we usually get.

Theres scarcity for sure, because the people most able to end it are either tree huggers or wizards

Clerics are the only ones giving magic to regular people, and they usually need to charge something because giant crystal spires praising the morning lord arent cheap, but I go over this a lot in my games. I've mentioned a few times about how Nyanzaru is in a horrible filthy jungle and full of scantily clad people doing sweaty labor but nobody ever gets sick because of the wide availability of clerical services and the free public baths, people get unspeakable ancient mummy plagues in nyanzaru sometimes but its NBD the Sunnites blast thats hit away before giving them a deep tissue massage to get out all that necrotic flesh

I had one player who wanted to use Fabricate to put the smiths out of business in waterdeep and made a bunch of suits of plate armor - that were just the metal parts and not the padding or anything, and they all had to be modified to fit individuals which added cost, and how they were warned in no uncertain terms by the powerful smithy guildmasters to watch themselves and were hit with a massive tax bill based upon the declared value of the created goods

override367 on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

I think one DnD campaign ended with my CE Necromancer deciding to crash economies with Golems crafting high quality goods for cheap and flooding the markets of various places.

You could fine tune Eberron to fit your utopia. Down to war forged as drone soldiers to fight wars instead of people

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Sleep wrote: »
    theSquid wrote: »

Nice, which season you thinking of picking?

Most players have never played tabletop at all,so
    spring because its the most straight forward bad guy I think.

Can probably switch it up if they take a liking to, say, pirates

theSquid on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I got to use;

Heat Metal - Awesome
    Goodberries - Yep

You mean like http://projectmultiplexer.com/2014/09/20/how-the-identify-spell-destroys-the-world/?
    Or
    http://projectmultiplexer.com/2015/02/16/the-murder-hobo-investment-bubble/

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.