As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm bad at groceries

2»

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    What has worked for me when I've had this problem isn't to start with the groceries. Start with the meals. Plan out 2 weeks worth of meals (You don't have to say, "Monday is hamburgers" ... just "One day I would like hamburgers" or even "In the next to weeks I'll probably want hamburgers 3 times"). Make an ingredient list from that and go shopping. Don't be afraid of bulk (esp for non-perishables). Then when you make your next meal list, start with "I already have x, y, and z.. I could do a, b, and c, which means I'll just need to pick up j, and k."

This.

And, if the OP is trying to eat healthy, maybe a modular, bento-style lunchbox like Prepd would work (https://www.getprepd.com/)? I got it for my sister-in-law, and she loves it, especially because there's a free companion app that has a ton of recipes (and, thus, grocery items) to choose from. So, a strategy could be to decide what you want to eat at lunch during the week, and then extend out from there, using the same ingredients for different meals at home.

The Prepd containers themselves are both microwave and fridge friendly, plus the lunchbox has 'cool packs' you can freeze and snap into the outer shell to keep things cold if necessary.

*I'm not employed by Prepd, or own stock in them, or whatever. It's just that it's a product that, in my experience, works as advertised, and I think it can help you both with figuring out shopping as well as continuing down the path of healthy eating given both the app's recipes and the containers with how they affect serving sizes. Just my $0.02.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Check this recipe for a great taco seasoning mix

I've made batches of this stuff into jars and just measure out a couple tablespoons for a pound of meat

https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-seasoning/

There's a lot of great recipes on here in general, too

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    (taco seasoning packs are just salt and cumin)

Actually only a few brands of taco seasoning contain cumin, the most important ingredient in a taco mix is paprika powder and onion powder.
    What commercial mixes do contain however is a bunch of ingredients that you don't want or need (maltodextrin, unholy amounts of salt, several other additives to prevent clumping and prolong shelflife).

Do make your own. Tends to be healthier and cheaper.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    (taco seasoning packs are just salt and cumin)

Actually only a few brands of taco seasoning contain cumin, the most important ingredient in a taco mix is paprika powder and onion powder.
    What commercial mixes do contain however is a bunch of ingredients that you don't want or need (maltodextrin, unholy amounts of salt, several other additives to prevent clumping and prolong shelflife).

Do make your own. Tends to be healthier and cheaper.

Paprika is such an awesome spice to keep around. Onion and Garlic powder too. I find that I can be kinda low on groceries and still make something pretty good as long as I have spices I like.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I have a few different taco seasoning recipes, but they're at home.

My main one doesn't use onion powder. It's mostly 1tbsp paprika, 1/2tsp of cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, sage and I think 1/4tsp cayenne.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    really all you need is some mix of
    chili powder/cayanne
    cumin
    salt
    pepper
    paprika

I sometimes add garlic salt also

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Check this recipe for a great taco seasoning mix

I've made batches of this stuff into jars and just measure out a couple tablespoons for a pound of meat

https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-seasoning/

There's a lot of great recipes on here in general, too

I've never used their taco seasoning recipe, but Budget Bytes is a great site!

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I am a strange man from a distant land, but I buy rolled oats in bulk- just the oats, no sachets of "instant" overpriced crap. Incredibly healthy superfood, dirt cheap ( in my country anyway) and you can do a ton of things with them. For breakfast, I'll usually make an oatmeal with milk, fruit, nuts and seeds (5-10 mins) , or sometimes just nuts and honey. I will even make savoury oatmeal for dinner sometimes. Throw an egg, some mushrooms or whatever in there. After a workout, I'll throw some protein powder and quinoa in there.

My monthly budget and my health benefited: definitely meets OP's criteria I think, though I'm assuming you can get reasonably priced big bags of oats in American grocery stores.

fedaykin666 on
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    I am a strange man from a distant land, but I buy rolled oats in bulk- just the oats, no sachets of "instant" overpriced crap. Incredibly healthy superfood, dirt cheap ( in my country anyway) and you can do a ton of things with them. For breakfast, I'll usually make an oatmeal with milk, fruit, nuts and seeds (5-10 mins) , or sometimes just nuts and honey. I will even make savoury oatmeal for dinner sometimes. Throw an egg, some mushrooms or whatever in there. After a workout, I'll throw some protein powder and quinoa in there.

My monthly budget and my health benefited: definitely meets OP's criteria I think, though I'm assuming you can get reasonably priced big bags of oats in American grocery stores.

Try steel cut if you haven't already. For me, they're miles better taste and texture wise. There's also a 'quick cook' version (partially pre-cooked, but still shelf stable) that can be made in 10 minutes. Don't know if that's around in your country or not.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

My breakfast oatmeal includes raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, some kind of nut, and salt. (Everything is "to taste", and I don't bother measuring any of it.) This mixture is shelf-stable; I fill up a container, shake it to mix everything together, then use that over a couple weeks.