As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I like that War Maguses have Random Disease at the front of their skill tree. It was kinda the basis of their abilities but in EOU2 you had to invest deeply into one of the lines before it was available.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I noticed a lot of the mid/late their stuff got shifted. I wonder if it's because you can dual class again.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I noticed a lot of the mid/late their stuff got shifted. I wonder if it's because you can dual class again.
    I think it's both that and wanting to give a better flow of internal skill synergy. Like the Brawler. You start with the binds, then the ability that can use multiple bind skills at once, then the skill that does damage based on binds present, then the one based on attacks done last turn, etc. EO5 it didn't flow as smoothly.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I think it's both that and wanting to give a better flow of internal skill synergy. Like the Brawler. You start with the binds, then the ability that can use multiple bind skills at once, then the skill that does damage based on binds present, then the one based on attacks done last turn, etc. EO5 it didn't flow as smoothly.

Harbinger felt similar in some ways - all the things you actually care about were in the promoted classes. Base harbinger was somewhat wanting.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A bunch of subclasses could be decent for Harbinger. Survivalist has a debuff it doesn't, and can take aggro for one turn at a time.
    If there isn't a main Highlander in the party, Harbinger could take care of all infliction-setup and not really care about the HP-costs.
    Arcanist can fill out most of the set of ailments and binds, but I don't know if that's actually useful.
    Shogun adds toughness, curse, arm-bind and aggro-management, but this aggro-skill really doesn't need to be used by this party-member.
    Nightseeker similarly adds cloak, different ailments, head-bind, a chance to try the reap/throw-skills twice (which is good because of the luck-component), and aggro-management that might as well be used by a different party-member instead.

Ronin looks like a pretty versatile subclass for anything that can afford to equip a katana. So caster-types without many weapon-restrictions, shield-users, and the three classes that can equip two weapons.
    Good buffs, early access to many types of damage and row-heal, easy to reach weak row-attack and ranged attack.

I mean Harbinger in EOV was a real late bloomer. Auto-Miasma alone was basically mandatory for random encounters so you could throw out status turn one, plus maxing miasma to minimize the costs, etc.

Was quite useful endgame though once I just had to spend a turn re-upping Miasma once in a while to maintain significant offense/defense buffs even on bosses. Using Split Spirits to fuel the HP sacrifice move with that and it was consistent output.

edited August 2018
    I hope that Act Quick Penetrator Double Action Heavy Strike works.

Uhh, due to a bug, Dauntless Order seems to be rather powerful. It's also possible for the Afterimage-mechanic to destroy the copied character.

Here's something wild I wasn't paying attention to, that I had to look up after noticing that trailer was odd. The portrait-DLC seems to include promotional art that has never been in the games. Some of the boxarts and magazine-pieces have been broken up into separate characters and edited.

PLA on
    A trailer came out earlier today. First English text one if I recall (though the voice clip(s) that play in it are Japanese still). It makes sure to remind us at the start that this is the last Etrian Odyssey game coming out for the 3DS. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZXtD43AdRg

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    So no 3 Untold. Both glad and sad I bought the DS game. Maybe an Untold 3 on the Switch one day?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    A trailer [for Etrian Odyssey Nexus] came out earlier today. First English text one if I recall (though the voice clip(s) that play in it are Japanese still). It makes sure to remind us at the start that this is the last Etrian Odyssey game coming out for the 3DS. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZXtD43AdRg

I remembered seeing something about Atlus skipping over the dub process for this game, dug up a source on their Twitter account here. I can't really blame them considering that there are twice as many voice options compared to EOV, and the 3DS is starting to phase out.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    A trailer [for Etrian Odyssey Nexus] came out earlier today. First English text one if I recall (though the voice clip(s) that play in it are Japanese still). It makes sure to remind us at the start that this is the last Etrian Odyssey game coming out for the 3DS. :(

*snip*

I remembered seeing something about Atlus skipping over the dub process for this game, dug up a source on their Twitter account here. I can't really blame them considering that there are twice as many voice options compared to EOV, and the 3DS is starting to phase out.
    What do you mean twice as many voice options? Are you basing that on class count? Because the voice options are universal, regardless of class chosen.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »

*snip*

What do you mean twice as many voice options? Are you basing that on class count? Because the voice options are universal, regardless of class chosen.
    No, it was just a mistake in my accounting. I said 'twice as many' because I was mistaken about the count: I thought it was 30 in EOV and 60 in EO Nexus when I made my post. Re-checking, I've realized that it's actually 40 options in EOV, so EOX actually 'only' represents a 50% increase in options.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Honestly I'm fine with no 3 Untold... the story's really nothing special, I think 2 was the last good one. EO 1 being the only great one.
    (I still haven't gotten to 4, mind you, almost done with 3's main story.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Sixth Stratum in EO3 is terrifying, I haven't felt this unsettled since the Explorer's Abattoir in EO1.

wVEsyIc.png
    The danger level of battles in EO3 is pretty high compared to the rest of the series, is my memory. EO4 and EO5 had a lot of trickery going on but it wasn't like brute-forced high-stat enemies coming at you.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The danger level of battles in EO3 is pretty high compared to the rest of the series, is my memory. EO4 and EO5 had a lot of trickery going on but it wasn't like brute-forced high-stat enemies coming at you.

Five has the creepiest stratum though (strat 3)

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Talking about EO3 reminds me there was a section in the 4th stratum where there was a locked door blocking off the north section of the map that I never fucking figured out how to get through or around. I have gotten down to the post-credits super final last boss and still couldn't figure it out. I spent hours and weeks poking all over that stratum trying to find a way in there. Think I had every other floor fully mapped as far as I could tell, no obvious empty spaces left. Come to think of it I've gotten to the super final boss in every single EO except 5 (still working on it) and never beaten any of them. One of these days.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    That is part of the true ending route. I thought the postgame stratum wasn't available unless you did that.

Having a true ending in a game with one save slot is some BS. That said, I never killed an EO super boss either. I finish the last stratum and I'm out.

wVEsyIc.png
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Having a true ending in a game with one save slot is some BS. That said, I never killed an EO super boss either. I finish the last stratum and I'm out.

In EO3, you have to New Game Plus to get the second unlockable class anyway, and that resets the conditions for all the endings, so it's not as bad as it could be. It's very quick to breeze through the first four stratums with a completed map and an endgame party.

IIRC, the endings for EO3 are: 1) finish the fifth stratum allied with group A, 2) finish the fifth stratum allied with group B, and 3) true ending: do some very specific dialog choices along the way, visit an otherwise-locked area, then finish the fifth stratum.

Fry wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

In EO3, you have to New Game Plus to get the second unlockable class anyway, and that resets the conditions for all the endings, so it's not as bad as it could be. It's very quick to breeze through the first four stratums with a completed map and an endgame party.

IIRC, the endings for EO3 are: 1) finish the fifth stratum allied with group A, 2) finish the fifth stratum allied with group B, and 3) true ending: do some very specific dialog choices along the way, visit an otherwise-locked area, then finish the fifth stratum.

Yes, EO3 was bullshit - you needed to do 3 runs to actually get everything (to get the drops from each final boss, though you could get true ending and all classes with just two runs).

Was 3 before or after autowalk?

edited October 2018
    3 had autowalk
    I absolutely got down to the postgame stratum, and I'm pretty sure I did some attempts on the postgame stratum boss without ever opening that area. I only did 2 runs and I'm not sure if I did the right dialogue choices. Maybe I'm misremembering never having opened that area.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    The dialogue choices to get the true ending are not intuitive, I had to look them up in a walkthrough. It doesn't involve the sixth stratum at all, IIRC.

I ended up doing a bunch of New Game Pluses, because that was an easy way to respawn all the stratum bosses and FOEs for additional farming. Kind of annoying that I felt like I needed to do that much farming trying to get rare/conditional drops.

These vampire trees are not fun.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Finally just got to the second stratum in E03. Pretty.

Finally just got to the second stratum in E03. Pretty.
    The transition of 1st to 2nd stratum in that game is one of the hardest in the series. Enjoy!

I don't remember the second stratum being that bad in EO3 (but then, it's the only EO I've played, so I have no reference). On the other hand, there are some non-FOE encounters on the first flour of the fourth stratum that still give me nightmares. Maybe it's just my party comps.

I think the big thing is keeping up with equipment upgrades, even a few points of stats can make a surprisingly large difference in combat effectiveness.

There's always a difficulty spike between stratums, but I maintain that 1st to 2nd in EO3 is the most drastic. Lots of OHKO or near OHKO are possible on like every floor when you're encountering the new enemies.

So what's a good level for beating the ghost ship in EO3? I'm trying to beat the Tortuga quests but just got my first party wipe.

ghost ship? that doesn't ring a bell. Is that one of the ocean bosses?

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited November 2018
    EO3's 6th had me nopeing out in record time. That place is the stuff of nightmares.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    it has a great(ly unsettling) soundtrack doesn't it

BahamutZERO.gif
    So what's a good level for beating the ghost ship in EO3? I'm trying to beat the Tortuga quests but just got my first party wipe.

The guide on GameFAQs suggests level 25+ for that fight. I generally found that the FAQ's recommended levels were a bit on the low side, though.

specific info about the ghost ship:
    It's weak to ice, and about 4000 HP. It uses some fire attacks, so fire protection is handy. It also has an evade buff, so a Prince(ss) with Ad Nihilo to dispel and deal damage can be useful.

General sea quest tips:
    - the three sets of NPCs for each sea quest have wildly varying effectiveness, so try them out to find out which set works best with the characters you're able to field
    - you need to do each sea quest at least four times to get all the loot: there's a "first time" reward for the first time you beat a given sea boss, and then after that, each of the three sets of NPCs has a different reward they will give you, and you won't get both the "first time" reward and the NPC-specific reward on the same run
    - charge up your limit gauge in the main dungeon, so it's ready to go on turn 1 of your sea quest battle

Lategame XP grinding tip:
    This opens up when you have access to the Scylla sea fights.
    From a hard reset, if you take a single character into the Scylla fight where the NPC party is a lone Wildling, and try to Escape as your first action, the Wildling will successfully execute an Instant Death attack as their first action. Enjoy the big pile of XP!

There's a similar RNG manipulation you can do on King Penguin with the NPC Ninja, but it's a bit more time-consuming.

I'm at the very start of the third stratum in EO3, does the choice I make block me from getting shogun later?

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    If it's the choice I'm thinking, yes. One for yggdroid, one for Shogun.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Yeah, they wanted you to play new game plus.

PLA wrote: »
    Yeah, they wanted you to play new game plus.

No, they want you to play it twice to get all the boss drops.

No, this isn't any less stupid than it sounds.

I said that.