As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] Dungeon World - Fortress of the Ur-Mage: All is Lost (Ur-Mage Victory)

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Aye,” Helter says, fair features in shadow, “I’ll bring that soul to you, tis a fine exchange, for you know I seek him still.”

Church bells knell high above as Helter fades once again from the Black Gates.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Grim Company: @Rezari @LaserFowl @saber_of_black @SalmonMax
    Argent Specter | L3 | Paladin | HP 10/25 | DMG D10 | AR 4 (Scale Armor/Shield/Holy Protection)

The paladin coughed and wheezed, the life springing back into his breath, wracking him awake. In the distance, he could see Kestrel and Vermilion on the ground, motionless; Rat seemed to be keeping her distance from the girallon, while Nimue picked herself free from a tangle of vines.

The direct approach had not availed the party strong results, so the despite the knight's urges to immediately push back into the fray, he gathered himself for a moment. The lamp failed to mollify the creature, and the placid pool was a deception. The creature held two of its arms in unusual positions for combat. Why?

The Argent Specter once again came to his feet, shaking the aches and injuries aside. His helm once more lit ablaze, as he tried to ascertain why the beast held itself as it did.

Geth, roll 2d6 for Discern Realities

Discern Realities:
    2d6 4 [2d6=2, 2]

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SalmonMaxSalmonMax Registered User regular
    Kestrel was quiet for a moment. She didn't doubt that there was more to the Reaper's request than met the eye...but then again, it wasn't as if she was in a particularly strong bargaining position. She could move on to her fate, or try again...meeting the demands of Death in addition to her own purpose.

She'd risked so much already...what was one more thing?

"So be it," she said to the apparition. "You'll have your skull."

• Options
    LaserFowlLaserFowl Registered User regular
    Grim Company: @Nips @Rezari @saber_of_black @SalmonMax

She'll dive in the water to retrieve the gem.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The Grim Company

The Specter could only assume the idol wished for an offering of hearts or some other organ in a brutal display of violence. Rat dove into the water. As she broke the surface, she found that the pool's image above the water was illusory; there were far fewer gems down here, and they lay amidst coral-covered bones.
    Rat, Defy Danger Dex, but also take +1 forward for acting on bad knowledge.

Death nodded. Kestrel heard a familiar cry as she found herself back in her own body, The idol scanning the room for living targets.
    You are revived with 10 HP Kestrel.

The Ramrods

Grandmother started to be drawn back to the book.

"Please, read from the book, free me boy!"

The Jolly Rogers

Helter's bones resolidified, stained crimson by the false wine and the blood on the floor.
    Helter, revive with 10 HP

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    zeframseezeframsee Registered User regular
    The Ramrods

Arngrim strides from the grimdark shadows, hefting his massive sword from his shoulderi.

“Foul book! Keep thine eldritch secrets to thine self!”

He leaps at the horrid tome, bringing his blade to its pages forna brutal paper cut!

Geth, roll 2d6+3 to destroy the obstacle using bend bars/gates

the obstacle using bend bars/gates:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=4, 5]

• Options
    RoshyykRoshyyk Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | Lvl 4 | Human Barbarian | HP 25/25 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold+Gold hand clutching blade

As Arngrim leaps into action, the thought of losing his elder’s guiding spirit crosses Krolax’s mind. He will follow her direction. “NO!” Krolax shouts as he leaps to catch Arngrim’s blade, protecting the book so he can read the pages.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for DEFENDING THE MAGIC BOOK
    Redirect the attack to myself

DEFENDING THE MAGIC BOOK:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=2, 4]

Roshyyk on
  • Options
    The Ramrods

Arngrim swung mightily with his blade, but Krolax ducked in at the last second
    If you spend the hold to redirect to you Krolax, go ahead and roll damage Arngrim.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Team Ramrod | Capt' | L4 | Wizard | HP 12/12 | DMG D4 | AR 2 with spell

The Captain goes to investigate the damage, or lack there-of, and start attempting to read the book.

"Durgon, if I become lost to the book,
    I'll be leaning on your strength of faith and mental willpower to see the Ramrods through!"

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The Ramrods
    Roll 1d8 to see which spell you decipher Captain.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    geth roll 1d8 for spells!

spells!:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The Ramrods

The pages of the book flapped open to another page. The sigils shifted into a readable tongue as a scintillating voice spoke from the book.

"Ssssssummon Monsssster...!"

A portal rent open....
    Sputlyre, you can either summon back Grandmother to Krolax's weapon, or you can summon a creature to serve you until it is killed or dismissed. It will have:

-A useful adaption of your choosing.

Geth roll 1d6 Possible Monster Traits

Possible Monster Traits:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Sputlyre works to untangle the soul of Meemaw from the book.
    Images of the blue pike-headed reef goblins who raided along the West Salts came to mind, but the captain fearfully refocused on aiding the grandmother.

"I'll not fall for the same tricks of that sunk the The Crooked Turtle!
    I will not be the source of new foul beasts!"

Blood drips from the Captain's nose as the spell work completes.
    It has been a long time since she has been so consistently taxed in arcane matters.

Sputlyre finishes her work and leaves the book and the corpses it burdens for the door leading to the next room and enters it.

(pushing shadow fox along of course!)

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The Jolly Rogers

“Don’t worry lad, everything is fine. Bad year though, the Ur-Mage is no wine expert.”

wq058kg1h6hs.jpeg

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The Ramrods - A Repast

https://youtu.be/upfDo5fUIRc

As you walked into the room, your eyes were first drawn to a long table spread with a magnificent feast.
    Shape the World: What foods did you see?

There is so much that some plates had been placed on the floor. Two corpulent and open-mouthed gargoyles flanked an archway to blank stone to the East. Motionless, they featured carved entrails and limbs hanging from open lips. A mural behind the table depicted the two gargoyles and a band of crusaders merrily feasting.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Team Ramrod | Krolax | Lvl 4 | Human Barbarian | HP 25/25 | AC 1 | XP 0 | DMG D10 | 22 Gold+Gold hand clutching blade

As he walked into the room, Krolax was overwhelmed with the symphony of aromas in the dining hall. Everything seemed to blur and blend together from the abundance of meats, breads, potatoes, etc. but what stood out the most was the stacks of lemons and cinnamon that were a delicacy. Only the wealthiest of individuals had them, as they were so rare and had to be imported.

Krolax walks around the table examining everything, but keeping his eye on the gargoyles.

Geth roll 2d6 for discerning realities
    What should I be on the lookout for
    What here is useful or valuable to me?
    What here is not what it appears to be?

discerning realities:
    2d6 10 [2d6=6, 4]

Roshyyk on
  • Options
    edited October 2018

"What's all this then?"

Sputlyre looks upon the tableware for gold and platinum and then moves to inspect the mural.

"Krolax ya make sure those beasts don't turn us into a feast!"

Sputlyre looks to see if there is anything in the mural, that's not seen currently in the room.
    She is interested in things like the wraith in the painting.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The Ramrods

Krolax and Sputlyre saw a golden goblet engraved with the letter M. In the center of the table was a candelabra of sterling silver.

The mural did not move or match the room as it was examined. Sputlyre could spot nothing as radical as the wraith in the gallery.

Krolax could see that among the food items on the floor, when the light caught them just right, they appeared to have faces in them.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Are the food items, with faces, on plates/platters?

• Options

Confused that the water did not reflect what was truthfully on the surface, she nevertheless persisted to find what she needed.

Geth, roll 2d6+4 for Defy Danger Dex with +1 Forward.

Defy Danger Dex with +1 Forward:
    2d6+4 11 [2d6=5, 2]

• Options
    The Grim Company

Flitting like a minnow in the pond, Rat managed to snatch a diamond big as her palm from the detritus, and swiftly exited the pool, dark sinuous shapes twining out of the depths and singing lovely songs behind her.

The Ramrods
    Yes

Hail Hydra
  • Options

Dragging herself out of the pool like a drowned rat, Rat takes a deep breath and coughs. She attempts to offer it to the monster-statue's opened palm.

• Options

The captain, curiously tries to recall any legendary goblets engraved with the letter M.

She makes sure not to touch, but circles the golden cup quizzically.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Sputlyre.... I mean Spout Lore

Sputlyre.... I mean Spout Lore:
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=4, 4]

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Argent Specter | L3 | Paladin | HP 10/25 | DMG D10 | AR 4 (Scale Armor/Shield/Holy Protection)

The Argent Specter considered that if the beast only understood brutality, brutality would be his medium. Moving quickly to the corpse of Vermilion, he considered the still body of the bard.
    "Apologies, my erstwhile companion. May your existence beyond the Black Gates not bear witness to the vessel you have left behind."

There are a number of places, on every creature, where in the repose of death the material form becomes lax and no longer resists the rigors of its former life. The paladin knows these places, all too intimately, as the Wraiths often demand total destruction of his quarries.

For the corpse of Vermilion, it was the gaps in the ribcage slightly to the right and above the heart, where the bloody knight plunged his mailed fist into the still form's torso.

With a rip and a tear, the Argent Specter tries to pry free the quiet heart of the once-loud bard, to present to the raging beast.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    The Grim Company

As the Argent Specter pried loose Vermilion’s heart, Rat offered unto the Girallon. The open hand closed around the diamond, and the closed fist open. Within were half a dozen rubies with their own inner glow, as well as a scintillating gem that rippled with power.

The Ramrods

Sputlyre had seen the same M engraved on the doors of the fortress. It was likely a significant of the Ur-Mage.

Hail Hydra
  • Options

Rat cautiously tries to scoop up the dozen rubies and the scintillating gem into her hands. As she does, she looks up to see what the Argent Specter has done. She stares at him in a mixture of shock, caution, fear... and more as she sees the bard's heart in his hands. "I thought you died."

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Team Ramrod | Durgon | L4 | Cleric | HP 24/24 | DMG D6 | AR 1

Durgon had been staring at the Captain in surprise. Newcomers to their group usually ended up being an annoyance, but she had legitimately been beneficial in every room so far. The dwarf was pleasantly surprised. Still, after seeing the spellbook and it's creepy holder, he was more than happy when the group moved on.

Entering what appeared to be a banquet room, the dwarf grunted loudly. "Why would the Ur Mage have a banquet room. Who do they ever entertain? Isn't this place supposed to be a deathtrap?"

He then looks at both Gargoyle's. "Creepy bastards, aren't they?"

Durgon takes a moment to study one of the Gargoyle's closer, trying to determine if the thing held any secrets.
    Ugh, sorry. Work's been rough and the free time I've had has been tough to focus on any one thing.

Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Discern Realities

Questions:
    What is about to happen?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What here is useful or valuable to me?

Discern Realities:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=6, 3]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited October 2018

The gory knight turns to Rat, seeing the placated beast idol and the glint of the gems as they enter her sack.
    "In this strange place, Death is amenable and flexible to a degree. I have witnessed the visage of the Lord Beyond All twice now, and twice has he offered me an opportunity to continue our quest."
    The light in the Specter's eyeslit dims a bit.
    "I fear a third audience with him will not see him as welcoming. Come, let us collect our companions that still breathe, and leave before this idol decides to continue its rampage."

The Argent Specter casually throws the heart of Vermilion into the pool, seeing it has no use, and reclaims the ruby lantern from earlier.
    I'm assuming the girallon is done rampaging, based on it not just straight murdering Rat. Therefore, the above exchange.

Nips on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    The Jolly Rogers

Ravas backs away alarmed. He looks over at the risen skeleton "Are you OK?"
    His hands slowly reach for his blades, unsure if the individual he is dealing with is still Helter

• Options
    The Grim Company

As Rat took all the gems, the Girallon howled.

“EQUIVALENT EXCHANGE THIEF!” It then brought two of it’s fists down, smashing poor Rat.
    Geth, roll 2d8+5 smashed up Rat.

Rat, do not make a Last Breath even if you drop to 0 or below.

Beneath the creature’s fists, a strange light glowed, radiating brighter and faster as rainbow lightning raced out.

https://youtu.be/NQQYcTFkxvo
    The Grim Company have reclaimed a Shard of True Power! The Grim Company gain 1 level each and recharge all HP.

When the Crusaders came to, the Girallon Idol was a pile of bubbling golden slag.

The Ramrods

The gargoyle had the scent of knowledge and death on it’s lips. Durgon had the feeling the food was a part of this mystery, but did not know how. The goblet and candelabra looked particularly valuable.

smashed up Rat.:
    2d8+5 11 [2d8=4, 2]

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Sputlyre, having no info to add about potentially legendary goblets, turns to Shadow Fox.

"What do you think?
    We going to be zapped by a lighting bolt, or swarmed by gargoyles, if we try to pocket the valuables?"

Sputlyre turns with Durgon onto the Gargoyles

"Aye, Creepy is the word to describe them."

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The Jolly Rogers

Helter can sense their companion’s unease.

“It’s me alright, for what me there be.”, they take a hoarse breath, “That bastard Ur-Mage, he’s the cause of undeath. That’s not the first time I should have died, I’ve been a skeleton longer than I can remember. Certainly longer than I ever lived.”

“I... think I shift over time. In another hundred years I might forget that the dwarves called me Glosbe, that it was they that taught me how to sneak, and I might go by a new name... but for now I’m still your Helter.”

“So. What’s next to be done here? Oi!” Helter stamps into the blood, “Give us a clue you clot!”

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    saber_of_blacksaber_of_black Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The Grim Company @Nips @LaserFowl @Rezari @SalmonMax

As the party comes to, they'd realize someone was there tending their superficial wounds, praying softly, and marveling at the blood and the slag strewn across the chamber. You may recognize her as a Battle-Monial of the Republic, one of the virginal daughters of the goddess Aventia, marked by full habit draped over silvery chainmail. She's a comely thing, but broad as a farmer's son, with suggestions beneath the black cloth of limbs nearly as thick as a blacksmith's apprentice. A few odds and ends are strapped to her belt, including a seemingly empty glass flask, a healing potion, and a fine silvered mace.

"Welcome back, friends." She smiles warmly. "I am gladdened by the light of reason in your opening eyes, that you have not succumbed to this fortress of evil. I am Sister Sorla Aventine, Daughter of The Deux Republika, and I wish to assist in your endeavors... wherever they may lead us."

saber_of_black on
  • Options

Krolax, confused and intrigued by what he thinks he saw, picks up that platter of food that he believes he saw faces and inspects the food.
    “My mind must be playing tricks on me. I wouldn’t put it past the Ur-Mage to deceive me like this.”

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Team Ramrod | Durgon | L4 | Cleric | HP 24/24 | DMG D6 | AR 1

“The Gargoyles and the food go together somehow. Maybe...maybe they eat it?” Durgon continues staring at the Gargoyle wondering if it was going to come to life if they did something.

“Also the cup and the candle holder look valuable, maybe we can use them.”

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Rat: 19/19 HP (Armor 1)

After being brutalized, she wondered how much those rubies would actually be worth... all the bruises, blood, broken bones, and death? Eh, maybe.

She eyed the Specter warily still and breathed a little easier (although physically harder for her) with the statue gone. She assessed who was left and found their new companion, the Sister, present.

The thief limped over to her and smiled her broken smile (several missing teeth) at her. "Ah... this one is called... Rat," she pointed at herself, looking displeased from having to share it, but as she was about to ask for healing, she noticed that the light of the item she had acquired had mended her bruises.

LaserFowl on
  • Options
    edited October 2018

At Durgon's comment, Sputlyre begins cuss canting the cantrip Unseen Servant.

"Arr! Come to me ya filthy bilge rat!
    Ye who suffered the curse of the black spot,
    Arise my pitiful servant.
    I've orders for ye!"

A flow of magical wind disturbs the area as an invisible construct comes into being.
    The Captain grabs the expensive fruit, lemons, and spices and hands it to the construct.

She brings the fruit held by the construct over to the gargole's mouth, and holds herself in a battle stance.

Description
    You conjure a simple invisible construct that can do nothing but carry items. It has Load 3 and carries anything you hand to it. It cannot pick up items on its own and can only carry those you give to it. Items carried by an unseen servant appear to float in the air a few paces behind you. An unseen servant that takes damage or leaves your presence is immediately dispelled, dropping any items it carried. Otherwise the unseen servant serves you until you end the spell.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Cantrip Cussing

Cantrip Cussing:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=5, 4]

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The Grim Company

As Rat shuffled about, she could see the rubies she had grabbed seemed to have shapes in them, and an unseemly whispering emanated from them that no one else seemed to notice.

The Ramrods

7zptvp4rk1ul.png

The Servant fed the gargoyle. The stony mouth clamped down on the food, feasting greedily. It then took wing, alighting on the doorframe of the southern door.

"Of the four inmates of the Stasis Prison, only one is truly the enemy of the Ur-Mage" It announced before going still once more, a groteseque smile on it's face.

The Jolly Rogers

The blood rippled but did nothing else, nor did the face reappear.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Rat: 19/19 HP (Armor 1)

The halfling looked at the rubies in her hand for a moment to see if she could make sense of this madness before looking back up. "Let's get going..."

• Options

"Guh!

The perverse creatures can act after all!"

Sputlyre decides to risk stealing away the valuable goblet and candelabra.
    She snuffs out any flame that may have been ignited on candlesticks, and pours any liquids in the cup on the face of the remaining gargoyle,
    and hands those items to her servant to carry.

Barring a laser beam dissecting the captain or other nonsense, she's going to check out the east door and see what's beyond it.

VayBJ4e.png