As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Overwatch sets incoming!

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Sounds about right to be honest. Most things in the Blizzard store seem fairly overpriced.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does Lego Bastion transform?

No

The contents of my wallet are going to stay put for the time being.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You could always go for an actual transforming one.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I, for one, am supporting the marriage of Lego and Overwatch. I want more.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I've never played Overwatch, but Bastion is a good mech design, and I like this Lego take on him. Ordered.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Looks like it's just expensive, and Blizzard store exclusive. I hope other sets aren't exclusive, but Bastion is all I really wanted. I doubt they'll make a Hammond set since he's so new.

I wait to see D va

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Looks like it's just expensive, and Blizzard store exclusive. I hope other sets aren't exclusive, but Bastion is all I really wanted. I doubt they'll make a Hammond set since he's so new.

I wait to see D va

The minifig scale with the Bastion is off, but I wonder if they could use the Friends line to make a D.Va figure to go along with it...

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

I wait to see D va

The minifig scale with the Bastion is off, but I wonder if they could use the Friends line to make a D.Va figure to go along with it...

They could do Bastion with Technic to transform back and forth but I rarely see technic stuff anymore

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Reinhardt is probably gonna get a very unique looking bigfig? I guess there was never much chance of an accurate scale for these characters that need to be brick built, but I bet there'll be some good MOCs to fix em up. Very curious to see D.Va's mech. Bet it's gonna be huge :p

Also wonder if we'll get the full roster in Lego form? Also also wonder if we'll be getting accurate looking weapons. A lot of em wield sci fi stuff, but some characters have fairly realistic looking guns, which Lego seems to shy away from?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Something I've been wondering about since getting back into Lego in my adult life.

Isn't the whole concept of the price to piece ratio kind of flawed? Surely it's the overall design aesthetic, brand familiarity, and fun of the build that makes up the lion's share of a sets value isn't it? The price to piece ratio kind of implies that the value is in the volume of overall pieces doesn't it? While I get that has some ties with the fun of the build it still seems by and large like a strange rubrik to use in assessing value of new sets.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Something I've been wondering about since getting back into Lego in my adult life.

Isn't the whole concept of the price to piece ratio kind of flawed? Surely it's the overall design aesthetic, brand familiarity, and fun of the build that makes up the lion's share of a sets value isn't it? The price to piece ratio kind of implies that the value is in the volume of overall pieces doesn't it? While I get that has some ties with the fun of the build it still seems by and large like a strange rubrik to use in assessing value of new sets.

It depends what you're using it for. If just to build the box model and done, then sure. But if you're planning to break it down and introduce the bits into your own builds then recognising that you get less bits for your money with licenced sets is a valid observation.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    In said case though aren't you better off just buying loose pieces in those free for all style sets? Surely that's more cost effective (barring specialized pieces only available in certain sets).

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    In said case though aren't you better off just buying loose pieces in those free for all style sets? Surely that's more cost effective (barring specialized pieces only available in certain sets).

At least on high price per point pieces a lot of times you'll get big pieces and/or rarer pieces. You could literally build that bastion from the 10$ basic brick set in the color of your choice

Edit: for example this is a 20$ set and it even lights up and has actual tread!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Yeah, but rarer bits tend to be in these sets, and also building the box model is also fun!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Sure, it's a flawed metric, but it's a universal one.
    For example, maybe you don't like TIE fighters, I do. I have around 20 assorted Lego TIEs in assorted makes and sizes. I have a hard time saying "No" to a Lego TIE fighter, and I'm going to have fun with the TIE fighter sets. Building the panels, while repetitive is almost meditative to me since so many of the steps are repeated and the look of the TIE fighters just matches what I like.

Conversely, I've never really enjoyed the Technic sets. Sure, it's neat to watch the gears work together and seeing how the working bits come together, but I don't like the way the sets tend to look skeletal and almost unfinished. Maybe that's your thing though.

So, it's hard to have a qualitative standard when it's something hard to measure like fun in a build o aesthetic. What you like may not match what I like.

On the other hand, dividing price by part count is pretty hard to disagree about. I'm not saying you should have that be your only metric, it certainly isn't the only thing I look for, but it's something I take into account.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    All of the pieces in the Bastion set are tiny, too, is the thing.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    All of the pieces in the Bastion set are tiny, too, is the thing.

Tiny and common, when I mention the basic bricks, I mean he's built from the most common pieces of the bulk piece classic sets.
    10706?$main$

^ those colored basic boxes are under 10$

He doesn't seem to be even a very complex build either, I'm pretty sure I could build him directly off that single picture on the box.

• Options
    I figure I can get the official one, then use it to piece out a bunch of differently colored variants and have an omnic army in different skins from the game.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I've read the odd comment too that this color scheme is just for the blizz store and a normal one is coming to regular stores but can't find any confirmation?

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Overwatch sets revealed:
    4ajrvgojihop.jpg
    $14.99 129 pieces

xog0wm9k467a.jpg
    $19.99 197 pieces

rfkuw63detbx.jpg
    $29.99 419 pieces

fquv1ic8p5er.jpg
    $39.99 455 pieces

4ygecpr4ke2t.jpg
    $49.99 602 pieces

bjchbpy0ob94.jpg
    $89.99 730 pieces

January 2019

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That ain't bad at all. Weird that Reaper shows up twice, tho.

Also, lil bummed that Reinhardt and Bastion are so out of scale. D.Va's bunny meka is looking good.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    I don't care about Overwatch but I want that Bastion.

• Options
    I'm happy with the Omnic Bastion, going to buy the D.Va/Reinhardt set. Gimme all the lego mechs/armor.

That bigger Bastion is very nice, too.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    As someone who knows nothing about Overwatch -- so is that Bastion and the Bastion they released already, like, the same fig or something?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    As someone who knows nothing about Overwatch -- so is that Bastion and the Bastion they released already, like, the same fig or something?

Omnic Bastion, the orange one that's Blizzard exclusive, is 182 pieces. This new one is 602 pieces. More detailed, much larger build.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Omnic Bastion, the orange one that's Blizzard exclusive, is 182 pieces. This new one is 602 pieces. More detailed, much larger build.

I meant in the fiction/setting of the game.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I am kind of disappointed in their guns as you could use the ones they made for star wars or the old west sets for some of the overwatch with some add on parts

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I meant in the fiction/setting of the game.

I know little more about the setting than you, but watching the character intro movies, I'm pretty sure they are.
    Orange Bastion is one fresh off the line, ready to enter the Omnic Wars as a front line troop.
    Green and tan Bastion is one remaining Bastion unit that managed to self repair and is coming too in the post-Omnic War setting of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8yh83jlXg

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Bastion are legion.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think the big Bastion is more of a UCS transformable build.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I like that big shuttle just as a model more than overwatch.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Just give me all the minifigs (and maybe the Dorado truck); the rest of those sets are too much clutter.

I am amused at Widowmaker very frustratedly powerwalking away from Tracer's vehicle in the first one.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I love the dorado truck set, but I wish I could get the dva mech WITHOUT the oversized reinhardt,

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I love the dorado truck set, but I wish I could get the dva mech WITHOUT the oversized reinhardt,

You've just got to find someone who really likes Reinhardt but not D'va and go halvsies with them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Where’s my Mei minifig you goddamned monsters?
    also fuck it that Mercy is only in the $90 set

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I just stumbled across these fan-made Mass Effect
    LEGO models by Sebastian Bruckner and I'm dropping the link here for future reference:

https://www.flickr.com/people/141168838@N03

y7fb9746

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Good lord, I love the design of the Normandy.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Now do it to minifig scale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone ages ago was flogging fan made Firefly ships complete with crew and it was glorious.

Still so glad they’ve never done Star Trek because that would ruin me.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Someone ages ago was flogging fan made Firefly ships complete with crew and it was glorious.

Still so glad they’ve never done Star Trek because that would ruin me.

There were official Star Trek mega bloks/construx.

But they were Mega Bloks, so lots of big custom pieces and shoddy quality control.

128818b1.jpg

Fake Edit: Oh, my bad, I was actually thinking of Kre-O, so Hasbro flavored lego knockoffs!

Hasbro%2BKre-O%2BStar%2BTrek%2BUSS%2BEnterprise%2Bbox.jpg

This discussion has been closed.