As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Chilling Adventures of [Sabrina] - and sometimes Salem

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited October 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
71PtUNzrwJL._SY445_.jpg

Oh, not that one.

51ku-L9aQbL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That one.

https://youtu.be/Ab_rXrgk5R4

Hits Netflix on October 26th, based on the horror comic by Riverdale's showrunner.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Show me a talking cat or I riot.

The style of the teaser looks great though. Really excited...

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Show me a talking cat or I riot.

The style of the teaser looks great though. Really excited...

I don't think you'll have to worry.

Sabrina-Salem.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i like the visuals, i like the idea of taking a more traditional witchy take with the goatbois/pentagrams etc just because its great grist for the visual mill

given its riverdale guy it probably wont be "adult" and will have a deep vein of silliness running through it so could be great fun

obF2Wuw.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    i like the visuals, i like the idea of taking a more traditional witchy take with the goatbois/pentagrams etc just because its great grist for the visual mill

given its riverdale guy it probably wont be "adult" and will have a deep vein of silliness running through it so could be great fun

I mean, it looks like it could veer into Witch territory quite easily

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

The comic is pretty much dead serious.

wVEsyIc.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    What about this one?

1JTmcS4.png?1

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is this in the same universe as Riverdale, or is it a different Riverdale?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    This is going to be wierd to watch. I grew up with sabina on nickelodeon.

Question, does it appear I need to know anything about Riverdale to watch this?

Fencingsax wrote: »

Remains to be seen. The Sabrina actress has been teasing stuff with the Riverdale cast, but the trailer(and comic) screams 60s aesthetic...
    RickRude wrote: »
    This is going to be wierd to watch. I grew up with sabina on nickelodeon.

Question, does it appear I need to know anything about Riverdale to watch this?

Nope. Until the inevitable crossovers anyway.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I have only watched a couple episodes of Riverdale, but it wouldn't surprise me if black magic was an actual thing that worked on the show, given some of the reactions to the latest season I've seen on Twitter.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

I have only watched a couple episodes of Riverdale, but it wouldn't surprise me if black magic was an actual thing that worked on the show, given some of the reactions to the latest season I've seen on Twitter.

There was an episode that flat-out took place in Sabrina's town, then it veered away from it. I think it's because Netflix took Sabrina from CW. Originally I think it was going to become a crossover that lead into Sabrina having her own show.

wVEsyIc.png
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/17/netflixs-chilling-adventures-of-sabrina-photos-cast-characters

Cast bios, showing Ambrose and Madam Satan are definitely in.

Wonder if the cobra familiars will be...
    b234a0f78f947f921bc95ffabbecbdd4._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
    Trailer tomorrow, if their PR person can be believed:

wVEsyIc.png
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Nothing. Matters.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This so looks like my jam.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If I don't like Riverdale will i like this? He asked about a show that isn't even out yet.

steam_sig.png
    If I don't like Riverdale will i like this? He asked about a show that isn't even out yet.

What don’t you like about Riverdale?

This has some of the same vibes but is leaning wayyyy more into the supernatural.

Nothing. Matters.
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Also on netflix it presumably will be able to lean into the darker stuff a lot more than it could on CW.

Aphostile wrote: »

This has some of the same vibes but is leaning wayyyy more into the supernatural.
    I only watched the first 2-3 episodes.
    Basically i found pretty much all the characters to be completely unlikable and didn't find the good stuff, mostly related to some of the noirish presentation and the visual style, to outweigh the stuff i hated, the trashy teen soap opera.

Also the statutory rape that nobody seemed to care about.

steam_sig.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I had been planning on watching Constantine again but I think I'll marathon this for Halloween instead, looks fun.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Basically i found pretty much all the characters to be completely unlikable and didn't find the good stuff, mostly related to some of the noirish presentation and the visual style, to outweigh the stuff i hated, the trashy teen soap opera.

The latter does become something that everyone cares about.

This will likely feel vaguely similar to you with the high school age and noirish feel but then it’ll veer off the deep end since there’s demon gods, witches and such. Less high school drama more supernatural/horror wonder. Sabrina is infinitely more likeable than stupid, sexy Archie already though.

Then again, I’ve only seen a bit and can’t judge the series as a whole yet.

Nothing. Matters.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I just love how balls-to-the-wall it is. Like the witch imagery is satanic as hell, the cute 60s evocative look is cute and 60s as hell. Kiernan Shipka is super charismatic and the show seems to be making the most of it. Maybe it'll turn out to just have like, horrible writing, or way too many episodes, or run out of ideas early, who knows, but if nothing else the show seems extremely confident. They're not trying to like, let you know that they're in on the joke, they're just going for it 100% and you're either in on what they're doing or you're not. It's that confidence that's making me go, "Dang I really want to see this show."

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.

This will likely feel vaguely similar to you with the high school age and noirish feel but then it’ll veer off the deep end since there’s demon gods, witches and such. Less high school drama more supernatural/horror wonder. Sabrina is infinitely more likeable than stupid, sexy Archie already though.

Then again, I’ve only seen a bit and can’t judge the series as a whole yet.

I'll give it a shot then. Supernatural stuff is a pretty big multiplier for much i give a crap about a show. The next biggest is sense of humor. I did after all make it through like 9 seasons of supernatural before the CW branded bad communication drama made me bow out.

steam_sig.png
    Kana wrote: »
    I just love how balls-to-the-wall it is. Like the witch imagery is satanic as hell, the cute 60s evocative look is cute and 60s as hell. Kiernan Shipka is super charismatic and the show seems to be making the most of it. Maybe it'll turn out to just have like, horrible writing, or way too many episodes, or run out of ideas early, who knows, but if nothing else the show seems extremely confident. They're not trying to like, let you know that they're in on the joke, they're just going for it 100% and you're either in on what they're doing or you're not. It's that confidence that's making me go, "Dang I really want to see this show."

It's adapting the comic that the showrunner wrote. I have nothing but high hopes.

wVEsyIc.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    In my head cannon, this new Sabrina show is the show the main guy character was working on in that other Netflix show, "Love".

steam_sig.png
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Is this dropping the whole season at once Netflix style or is it weekly like Riverdale?

Lorek wrote: »
    Is this dropping the whole season at once Netflix style or is it weekly like Riverdale?

All at once.

wVEsyIc.png
    So since I heard the show was cancelled after S4, I decided to pick up S3.

If someone had told me Dagon and the Old Ones were an element, I'd have watched it months ago.

Sadly, I feel like the show has the same problem Riverdale does: stop getting mired in all these side plots and unimportant characters! You watch Riverdale for Archie, Veronica, Betty, and Jughead. You watch Sabrina for Sabrina.

wVEsyIc.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Holy shit I thought that ending was very bad... like to the point where i question if it wasn't a fuck you to netflix from the showrunners for the cancellation

Holy shit I thought that ending was very bad... like to the point where i question if it wasn't a fuck you to netflix from the showrunners for the cancellation

How Lovecraftian does it get, on a scale of cultist to Cthulhu?

wVEsyIc.png
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular

I will give it that they tied up (I think?) all the plot lines.. I can't think of anything major left dangling. Which is nice in this age of oh shit you're cancelled, too bad.
    But yeah, other than that, I think this is one of the worst endings ever. The final scene is especially just... what the fuck.

edited January 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Ehhhhh, it's a lot of name-drops and a little substance. They largely do their own thing off of it. though blackwood does start the season trying to start a cult and going by literally reverend lovecraft.

The main beats center around basically our primal fears represented by 8 eldritch terrors (conveniently in an 8 episode season) heralding the end of existence, like the darkness and the cosmic. It's not like "this is our named elder god from the beyond" as such.

The bad part was the end. They did a lot of cool individual things I felt but the eldritch terrors as monsters of the week felt very rushed despite several of them being super cool visual and narrative content. It's just like none of the terrifying things had time to be terrifying. We're just supposed to relate that philosophically yes that is a terror.

The ending though is just... irresponsible and pretty disgusting

initiatefailure on
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Ehhhhh, it's a lot of name-drops and a little substance. They largely do their own thing off of it. though blackwood does start the season trying to start a cult and going by literally reverend lovecraft.

The main beats center around basically our primal fears represented by 8 eldritch terrors (conveniently in an 8 episode season) heralding the end of existence, like the darkness and the cosmic. It's not like "this is our named elder god from the beyond" as such.

The bad part was the end. They did a lot of cool individual things I felt but the eldritch terrors as monsters of the week felt very rushed despite several of them being super cool visual and narrative content. It's just like none of the terrifying things had time to be terrifying. We're just supposed to relate that philosophically yes that is a terror.

The ending though is just... irresponsible and pretty disgusting

Ehh, that seems to track with the rest of the show(and by extension, Riverdale). Cool ideas, rushed or weird execution, dragged down by too many uninteresting subplots and characters. Aguirro-Sacasa really strikes me as a one-season trick pony kind of guy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    They really should have condensed it down to a couple of terrors at most. Cranking through them at a pace of one per episode left all of them feeling less threatening than any of the random baddies from previous seasons despite these nominally being the most awful and powerful things in existence.

The ending seemed weird even without the fairly horrifying bit with Nick. Like, Sabrina is the literal daughter of the devil, but she goes to heaven when she dies? I'd have expected her to wake up in Hell and pick back up being the queen down there. And if she was going to be dead and off in heaven they could've avoided anyone committing random suicide by having Nick die trapping the Void and only his soul escaping. I mean, if "closing the box before you get sucked in" was a thing Sabrina thought was possible why did she not just do that the first time around, with some of her support witches on hand to keep the mirror portal open for her to come back through?

Bleh. It wasn't Dexter bad but it was a bad ending and really a not-great season all around.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    I also didn't really notice until afterwards reading some reviews to see if others had picked up on the ending how I did, but theo and harvey just had literally nothing to do all season.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I also didn't really notice until afterwards reading some reviews to see if others had picked up on the ending how I did, but theo and harvey just had literally nothing to do all season.

Their one potentially big moment - the band battle - they get upstaged at the last second by another band who do not appear to have ever actually played or practiced together before that moment.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian

I don't dislike Theo, but let's be real: does he have any relevance to the plot at all? Once Harvey got dumped, his relevance went out the window too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    They had the moment with Theo and Robyn, and Harvey I don't really care about so w/e.

Probably my favorite was
    The Endless, I was worried about the meta episode but it was interesting enough. But yeah, all the horrors were certainly not horrifying.