As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    If I am interested in Pandemic Legacy but unsure if my group would be, should I just get regular Pandemic?

I dunno how easy it would be to “undo” a first game and try it with a different group if my main one doesn’t care for it

You can play any number of non legacy games with Pandemic Legacy before launching the campaign.

If you are new to the series the game even recommends you do just that.

Oh wow i did not know you can just play base Pandemic with a copy of Legacy, I thought it was only good for a legacy game

Is there any difference between the color boxes? I keep seeing listing for (Red) and (Blue) and (Yellow)

There are slight rule differences, but they generally are for the better. If you've only played Legacy you won't notice them.

Red and Blue are Season 1, Yellow and Black are season 2 (which is $20 more expensive).

The seasons are 100% the same, the different boxes are just in case you want to run multiple games and track them or something.

2ac58d130e119d6d1e6309ec2a099d14.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The idea from a few pages back of an asymmetrical Netrunner clone with a wizard trying to set up seals and rituals to protect the word while a horrible elder being tries to break through is

deeply excellent

it's so good that I'm mad it doesn't exist

My only problem is when the Elder God tries to sneak into our world and the wizard hits him with an explosive trap. Then on the Wizard’s next turn, he fires a rocket into the outer dimension for lethal.

It's the Elder God's own fault for attempting to conform to a reality with Hunter decks.

Okay, this shit right here? This is why I'm on board with Keyforge.

Fuck metas.

All games have metas though. "Metagame" is just another word for "strategy" in most cases.

Eh... I dunno if you'd really say there's a meta to Tic-tac-toe.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that once you've played even a single Legacy game of Season 1, you will no longer be able to play base Pandemic with it.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The idea from a few pages back of an asymmetrical Netrunner clone with a wizard trying to set up seals and rituals to protect the word while a horrible elder being tries to break through is

deeply excellent

My only problem is when the Elder God tries to sneak into our world and the wizard hits him with an explosive trap. Then on the Wizard’s next turn, he fires a rocket into the outer dimension for lethal.

It's the Elder God's own fault for attempting to conform to a reality with Hunter decks.

Fuck metas.

All games have metas though. "Metagame" is just another word for "strategy" in most cases.

Sure there is. The fact that if first player goes corner you must respond with middle or you lose is a meta. And if you don't know the meta you lose.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

deeply excellent

Fuck metas.

Sure there is. The fact that if first player goes corner you must respond with middle or you lose is a meta. And if you don't know the meta you lose.

No, because that's not what metagame means.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I agree with "metagame" being another word for "strategy." Not because I think it's objectively wrong but because I think being aware of a strategy for a game is very different from being aware of the metagame.

Either way knowing that you must respond in the middle is tactics, not strategy or metagame.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Keep in mind that once you've played even a single Legacy game of Season 1, you will no longer be able to play base Pandemic with it.

Eh, you can ignore stickers. Really only becomes a problem once you destroy components. If you set them aside instead, can still play a normal game.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

deeply excellent

Same. So go make it.

Thaaaaaanks

Can I just reskin all the core rules and non-broken cards from Netrunner?

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

More importantly, don't get Season 2 (Yellow/Black). You can't play regular Pandemic with it at all.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    last minute staff party this weekend and someone made a demo copy of Brass v(whichever one is the original remake in the black box) for it!

it's been a while since I had a game night so I'm excited.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

deeply excellent

Fuck metas.

No, because that's not what metagame means.

I should have said escalatory meta.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    My kids have for whatever reason attached themselves to Monopoly (Nintendo edition), and I have played 3 games in the past week. Even worse, they want to keep playing with house rules...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    My kids have for whatever reason attached themselves to Monopoly (Nintendo edition), and I have played 3 games in the past week. Even worse, they want to keep playing with house rules...

Somebody reskin a Great Mushroom Trail for this poor man.

• Options

I haven't heard of this one.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

I haven't heard of this one.

I'm implying someone make a Nintendo version of Great Western Trail.

I don't know how to humor.

• Options
    I should have understood that. Haven't actually played that yet. Looks neat though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Ok, that one's super-obviously the Hanged Man, which clarifies the others a nit if you weren't sure this was tarot-related.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm still not expecting anything more than a small-box bluffing game from all this, but remain curious all the same. :P

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    The art is f'ing gorgeous, whatever it is. Jeebus.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    If you look up the tarot major arcana numbers it's v clear they all match.

Yeah, it's obvious now that I see it's definitely a Tarot thing courtesy of this last one, but until that image, it was:

"I dunno, this is basically a game about wizards maybe? Does the fact that they use a lot of green imply something?"

I do hope it's something a little larger than a single one-off game. FFG is due for a new IP even if they've been handling the ones they've got well.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Got to play some more games of Codex last night with a friend. This is my 4th game against him and he finally won a game! Which is great because it means he's now way more excited to play more Codex! :biggrin: Man I wish there was an online implementation of that game; I would do almost nothing else... Having recently got back into Magic with MtG Arena, I just love that they managed to make distinct factions that all do drastically different things, but also completely get rid of different types of mana, flood/screw situations, and no-play openers. Even with MtG Arena rolling you two starting hands and giving you the one with the most even land/spell distribution, you still get some real trash opening hands.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so did Simon Stalenhag actually work on Scythe or did they just rip his shit off wholesale

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I want that tarot deck.
    so did Simon Stalenhag actually work on Scythe or did they just rip his shit off wholesale

Who? What game?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I want that tarot deck.

Who? What game?

a Swedish novelist and artist whose work looks...

h7tdnwbbk1gghy0tjsa5.jpg
    10683_Generation_Zero_Theft_60e8a073381eb806ce2273e8cb480395.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    ?format=2500w

a whole lot like the art for Scythe

pic3163924.jpg

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Scythe art has a lot of controversy around it iirc

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    There is a similarity in composition and in the juxtaposition of real and fictional elements, sure. I don't think that remotely qualifies as a "ripoff."

There was a controversy surrounding Scythe art that seemed to have some merit, though I think it has been satisfactorily addressed by now. Details here:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1990146/truth-behind-art-jakub-rozalski/page/1

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    He didn't work on it AFAIK (he's not credited on BGG at any rate).
    There is indeed a lot of controversy around Jakub Rozalski's work. Look into it more if you want. It's not really a discussion for here.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I think I just want that tarot deck now

• Options
    FFG just announced the next campaign of the Arkham Horror LCG.

It's Tarot themed.. but none of the above artwork is featured, so I'm not sure if connected.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/12/the-circle-undone/

ahc29_cardfan_a1_6x.png

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It would be a shame if it was just that

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It would be a shame if it was just that

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but the art styles just don't mesh, and why the heck would FFG generate so much mystery over an AH:LCG release?

I am expecting a new product announcement at Arkham Nights, but I don't think it will be an AH product.

• Options
    One of the cards there is tarot themed, pretty sure this cycle is gonna be about tarot stuff

I think this is it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One of the cards there is tarot themed, pretty sure this cycle is gonna be about tarot stuff

I think this is it

If that's true I they blew this marketing plan hard.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I think this is it

The art isn't even in the same style? I dunno, I would think they would post the last tarot card with a link to whatever they're teasing. There's no direct connection between the two other than the tarot theme...
    Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

I think this is it

Honestly, at this point I think they screwed up either way, because the overlap between whatever it is and the Arkham expansion is already there and will probably shut off tons of people who were otherwise paying attention. And again, that's only assuming that it isn't the Arkham expansion (which I agree, doesn't really seem like where this is going).

• Options
    The art is f'ing gorgeous, whatever it is. Jeebus.

I'm so intrigued by I checked out the artist's social media profiles looking to see if they had accidentally leaked any details but they were running a tight ship.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    That's really weird, if I look at those tweets on the FF twitter page I get a artist credit in the tweet. But I'd don't see that when the tweet is embedded in the forum page.

This discussion has been closed.