As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hello, handsome!

https://youtu.be/WED9UNIdZbI

Abby Normal.

https://youtu.be/C9Pw0xX4DXI

Puttin’ On the Ritz.

https://youtu.be/SmvuRJzads4

The prosecution rests, your honour.

Bogart on

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Not possible, as Transformers didnt come out until 2007

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I love ad-libbed stuff in movies.
    The shifting hump on Igor's back was an ad-libbed gag. Marty Feldman had been surreptitiously shifting the hump back and forth for several days when cast members finally noticed. It was then added to the script.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I love ad-libbed stuff in movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEB-OoUrNuk

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    To go back to the previous thread: the bear was absolutely the best part of Annihilation (despite some dodgy effects). Having hated the movie I thought, "Okay, maybe it was just a bad adaptation. I mean, the bear was neat so maybe the book has more stuff like that."

I listened to the audiobook. It is a spectacularly awful novel and made me enjoy Annihilation the movie more in retrospect because it was at least better than the book. And, unsurprisingly, the bear is not in the book.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I listened to the audiobook. It is a spectacularly awful novel.
    a7h4iml6ev73.png

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    a7h4iml6ev73.png

I can't think of a single positive thing to say about the book.

It read like it was written by a person who was not familiar with human behavior, had never listened to two people talk to one another, and did not have access to a source of research material as comprehensive as a 1985 printing of the World Book Encyclopedia.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    To go back to the previous thread: the bear was absolutely the best part of Annihilation (despite some dodgy effects). Having hated the movie I thought, "Okay, maybe it was just a bad adaptation. I mean, the bear was neat so maybe the book has more stuff like that."

I listened to the audiobook. It is a spectacularly awful novel and made me enjoy Annihilation the movie more in retrospect because it was at least better than the book. And, unsurprisingly, the bear is not in the book.

Wow, I had completely the opposite reaction to both the movie and the book, which I read after seeing the movie.

Loved the movie, loved the book.

And I thought the bear scene was terrifying. The sounds it made... really unsettling.

jimb213 wrote: »

Wow, I had completely the opposite reaction to both the movie and the book, which I read after seeing the movie.

Loved the movie, loved the book.

And I thought the bear scene was terrifying. The sounds it made... really unsettling.

I dunno if I just don't engage with books and movies like other people do or what. I mean, the book is quite popular and enough people thought it was good that they made a movie out of it. A friend of mine saw the movie and thought it was the best horror he'd seen in years. I just don't get it.

Its a perfect hybrid of existential horror and body horror.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thing to keep in mind with that book is the narrator is not quite all there

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I think reading the book first is better

The writing is really good, I think, and the story somewhat original and weird in a good way.

The movie was fine, expecting it to be the same as the book is a fallacy - you can't film the feeling you get from the book, better to move in a slightly different direction, which they did and I liked.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Not possible, as Transformers didnt come out until 2007

Transformers the Movie came out in 1986.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Random Thought:

My wife is watching The Holiday again. A perfectly bland and forgettable but inoffensive rom-com from 2006. Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet switch houses over the christmas holidays, emotional shit ensues, they find self-improvement and love, blah blah blah.

Anyway, in what I would consider a strange choice they cast Jack Black as the neighbour/love interest. I mean, the other side has Jude Law, a much more traditional choice, but the other male lead is Jack Black. And someone must have told him to tone it down like 10 notches cause he's got a bit of the Jack Black character he does going on, but really really subdued.

And you know what? Jack Black as like a normal person is charming as fuck. Really works. They should give him a shot at it more often.

/end of random thought

shryke on
    shryke wrote: »
    Random Thought:

My wife is watching The Holiday again. A perfectly bland and forgettable but inoffensive rom-com from 2006. Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet switch houses over the christmas holidays, emotional shit ensues, they find self-improvement and love, blah blah blah.

Anyway, in what I would consider a strange choice they cast Jack Black as the neighbour/love interest. I mean, the other side has Jude Law, a much more traditional choice, but the other male lead is Jack Black. And someone must have told him to tone it down like 10 notches cause he's got a bit of the Jack Black character he does going on, but really really subdued.

And you know what? Jack Black as like a normal person is charming as fuck. Really works. They should give him a shot at it more often.

/end of random thought

That and Four Christmases are two of my favorite rom-coms. It also stars a rather odd selection for an otherwise-normal rom-com in the person of Vince Vaughn, whom I hate in almost everything else I've ever seen him in but he really tones down his Vince Vaughn-ness for it.

The other one is Date Night so I guess maybe I just like rom-coms starring comedians as the male lead...

• Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    Finally caught Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I could not take all this sick and kidnapped dino stuff. They should just put a camera in one of those giant hamster balls and let it roll around the park for 2 hours.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Random Thought:

/end of random thought

Jack Black is delightful in The Holiday. Just 100% delightful.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The character of the Joker was developed by director-screenwriter Christopher Nolan, screenwriter Jonathan Nolan, and Heath Ledger. Ledger would improvise on set and some of the Joker's most iconic, scary, and funny moments were a result of Ledger's improvisation. One example of this is when the Joker, locked in a cell, sarcastically (and menacingly) claps for Gordon's promotion. The clapping was not originally scripted, but Nolan liked it so much that he kept it in the final cut of the film. Additionally, when the Joker exits the hospital and detonates a bomb behind him, the explosion was supposed to go off the first time. However, when the explosion was accidentally delayed, Ledger decided to stay in character and continue the shot. He mumbled to himself and played around with the remote until the explosion went off. What was originally a technical error became one of the funniest moments of the film.

this reminds me I should watch the Dressmaker

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Dark Knight is probably the only Nolan movie I’d consider a personal favorite and Heath Ledger is the main reason why

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Random Thought:

/end of random thought
    Jack Black is good in Bernie

Maybe Jack Black is just... good

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dark Knight, The Prestige, and Inception are all awesome to me.

I know the BWAAAAA got old, but Inception did it first and it was kind of cool how it came about in slowing down music.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nolan's filmography reads:

Memento
    Insomnia
    Batman Begins
    The Prestige
    The Dark Knight
    Inception
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Interstellar
    Dunkirk

I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises or Interstellar (I know, I know, get off my dick) but all of the others are excellent. I wish he'd make more but I guess he's choosy and thus manages to avoid making mediocre or bad movies.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I grew up where Bernie was filmed

They made it look much more charming than it is

They didn’t make it look all that charming

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    do i see venom or first man tomorrow

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

First Man.

*narrators voice* Bogart had not seen either.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    First Man is a Venom prequel so watch that first

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I haven't seen Insomnia or Dunkirk, but I enjoyed all of the rest of Nolan's movies except Dark Knight Rises.

The plot is a mess, villain's plan makes no sense, political undertones are sketchy and probably already dated.

That's pretty much all on the writing, though. I blame David S. Goyer.

Tarantio on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Insomnia is great.

Dunkirk was difficult to finish, but really good.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

If the coin lands on its side, see Bad Times At The El Royale?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Now I want to see First Man, with Venom as the lead.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Saw Robocop 1987. It really holds up. the Satire is still funny, the pathos is still engaging and the action is still fun to watch. The action isn't... good by current standards, but its good 80s action which means it so over the top that it loops around into being good again. No fucking shaky cam for this shit.

Added fun is watching the Zeerust of the supposedly advanced technology of the near future: CRT screens and landline phones aplenty, while not a single laptop or desktop PC. As for Cell phones, forget it! Even the media break segments lack the ticker at the bottom. (Zeerust is a imagined future superseded by the actual future developments).

Peter Weller is a good actor and manages to act with half his face covered and a forced robotic voice.

Not seen Robocop 2014 and not going to. I would advise skipping the entire rest of the Franchise as well, the original movie is the only one with an interesting story and the less said about the G rated tv series the better.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Robocop 2014 actually does some interesting things with its premise and is comfortably the second best Robocop movie. It's not up there with the classic original (what is?) but it's about ten times better than it has any right to be.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Robocop 2014 actually does some interesting things with its premise and is comfortably the second best Robocop movie. It's not up there with the classic original (what is?) but it's about ten times better than it has any right to be.

Its story for the 2014 one is pretty on the nose for the current move towards drones/automated war fighting capability so it is more commentary on that then what the original was but it is really solid. Interestingly enough the speed/agility seen in the remake was more what the original script was asking for. It was not until they had the suit that weller realized there simply was no way to move quickly or fluidly with the costume. He talked to a famous mime to figure out a way to make the best use of what he could do with the suit so he wound up with the very exaggerated robotic movements that worked so well in the original.

Jazz wrote: »

It has some interesting ideas and at least one really fantastic scene but it doesn't go anywhere with the ideas it sets up and the end is boring, uninteresting and cliched. It's one of those movies where they either ran out of budget or ideas or both half-way through and just sorta wrapped it up and called it a day.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    a7h4iml6ev73.png

I can't think of a single positive thing to say about the book.

It read like it was written by a person who was not familiar with human behavior, had never listened to two people talk to one another, and did not have access to a source of research material as comprehensive as a 1985 printing of the World Book Encyclopedia.

I don't entirely disagree, but I ended up reading more by Vandermeer and realized that he was definitely doing a thing with Annihilation. His other novels have genuinely warm and human characters.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Nolan's filmography reads:

Memento
    Insomnia
    Batman Begins
    The Prestige
    The Dark Knight
    Inception
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Interstellar
    Dunkirk

I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises or Interstellar (I know, I know, get off my dick) but all of the others are excellent. I wish he'd make more but I guess he's choosy and thus manages to avoid making mediocre or bad movies.

You’ve forgotten his first movie, Following, which is also excellent.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Has anyone in here seen The Adventures of Goopy and Bagha?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Interstellar is not good

Interstellar is not good

Interstellar is quite good but not as good as I'd hoped. Some really powerful stuff in there.

This discussion has been closed.