As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

acadia's doing star wars or dnd rpg illustrations mostly [vaguely nsfw]

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    A few more DnD type sketches, haven't been doing too much painting, but I'm hoping to get some done today/this weekend!

Some shaman findin some dreamcatcher in some swamp for some reason
    zls0789jwg2p.jpg

Caddy's not lookin too hot. Dray's face is a little janky, BUT ITS INK SO THERES NO FIXING IT.
    t2ai5vczbezr.jpg

acadia on
    edited April 2019
    Closeups:
    onvqvsdqzqic.jpg
    4p48ds1q1rao.jpg
    3wnj13rf0eu0.jpg
    8arya6dbuemw.jpg
    alo84oxxcbdf.jpg
    ag6s8zn4u24g.jpg
    nfu3llylyhc5.jpg
    The whole page:
    mcerxi2h8623.jpg

acadia on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cute! <3

edited April 2019
    approaching the finish line on this one, eager to move on to the next!
    wtjq1o1mtytz.png

The process shots:
    bsowijo2gf20.png

acadia on
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Have you experimented with turpentine color washes? They're the traditional art equivalent of a gradient tool :bzz:, and they can be great for atmospheric color. I do mine using Gamsol, but I don't think brand matters.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    edited June 2019
    @gavindel I haven't! I'm still basically a baby when it comes to oil painting. I've done maybe 10 little paintings on 5x8 canvas boards. I'm hoping I get more time to paint during this coming summer!
    clvjxqq692uk.png

The pet commission train rolls on

yet another example that I'm unsure of what to do with color

acadia on
    edited January 2019
    5dwsughplf7g.png
    something for my niece who loves The Clone Wars

acadia on
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    did you use that grid system for that dog photo? or just eyeballed it? or any other crazy technique i dont know about

SeveredHead on
    I just eyeballed it. Not the most efficient method, I'm sure, but it gets me there eventually.

edited April 2019
    Hey guys, been a bit. This week (and the rest of the month, really) I've been doing a comic project where me and another old comic making friend try to make 10 comics a day. Aside from some a bit too late nights for my fulltime job schedule, it's been really quite fun to do. After not creating any comics for years, or maybe one or two a year, to suddenly poop out FIFTY is kind of a relief. My journal comic, which was my most substantial project before this, didn't hit 50 pages for almost 2 years. By the end of the month, we will both have produced 300 comics, 600 between us. The first 100 are up live right now and, since they're all being created basically in sequence, with almost no planning or discussion beforehand, the storyline takes some weird jumps, as I scramble to patch plot holes, or imagine new situations for now-established characters to find themselves in. For a project that's only 6 days old, to have kind of a weird canon already is pretty fun.

If you're interested, check out 600and2.com to read from the beginning. There are fun authors notes and alt-text for each! The first ten pages are his, the next 10 are mine, etc. etc.

Here are some that work standalone, but the vast majority of it requires... some context to really get. I AM looking for critique if you have any to offer, writing and art (on my comics) are both mine so everything is fair game.

BEE COMICS:
    cqjzpq3dnrkk.gif

h0oyziiqp24x.gif

d2u75y9afwcl.gif

ova7zbkpn23l.gif

This works fairly well on it's own:
    PLANT COMICS:
    vfebgl0qhd5a.gif

6r3wnj6norl7.gif

oz5eqqldxg8b.gif

cdne5xm0zm1v.gif

e5xmgpgxybx0.gif

but most of them are really very stupid and dumb, which I love but may not be for everyone, obv
    BUTT COMIC:
    mg8pglyan6ii.gif

acadia on
    edited July 2019
    Some more no context needed comics that I've mined from this creativity vein this month.

MORE BEE COMICS:
    7zJqnCX.gif

7eaomZZ.gif

They happened to end up providing some context for these other comics that also kind of stand alone. Most everything else I'm making during this project is storyline based, and while funny, definitely require the absorption of the whole project. I'm kind of considering the below as a rough draft or like, backdoor pilot for maybe a childrens book or comic on bees.

QUEEN BEE COMICS:
    PL9B9f7.gif

ACSR3pA.gif

jUbOXwc.gif

5yq95Zk.gif

dBIwGO3.gif

n3Mwihb.gif

qK3CLTn.gif

7WV6G6X.gif

19RnYAD.gif

acadia on
    edited April 2019
    I mean it's a good thing Jon learned how to ride a dragon for the coming battle I guess but at the time it seemed needlessly reckless:
    Dq6EzfF.gif

m2B0LNl.gif

They sure seem to be rushing through the payoff for a lot of set up throughout the series. This is me thinking 'what if they threw a bunch of weddings before the end, for all those GOT love fans out there:'
    hnndMMj.gif

UwxDNL7.gif

jeKWxWD.gif

This one implies to me that maybe the night king has a sense of humor:
    bWkL3GU.gif

acadia on
  • LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    Should post those on r/freefolk on reddit, they'd love it :D

edited June 2020
    @LegacyGame Thank you! I've posted a few of these around and they've gotten some good feedback, though I find that most anything posted on reddit is ignored unless it's posted at a certain time of day (when the people who browse 'new' decide what will be looked at for the day).

Here are a few more 'developed' panels from the last two nights. Post-apocalypse comics:
    arsmmxfrmd6c.gif
    ktmxu6r6cjry.gif
    v10ld39l5u61.gif
    2jwm53kuwjnl.gif
    pu7uk7x3syna.gif
    igoztufo4gu4.gif
    59e41fw3t6na.gif
    dyizb2m0yzxf.gif
    ul036g0g5psr.gif
    ym78nqbzlub9.gif
    welld0jcjeta.gif
    herd69gcto88.gif
    8289ctahowk9.gif
    xk2safv49xcq.gif
    o2jzboeq1vn2.gif
    d7usbthefhn5.gif
    e9mn5wvr3dwj.gif
    fxsa7c7egird.gif
    5j8nyck3v626.gif
    sf3lpq5mau00.gif
    jec1zeksggwi.gif
    yzf5dn7fxy9u.gif

acadia on
  • LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    Very cool use of lightsource

edited May 2019
    hey here's yet ANOTHER retread of that Western I'm always sort of working on:
    o9elm2kiregf.png
    2l9ih4qyotdr.png
    7itquaq335n9.png
    zw54ryvzo277.png
    tzl05rz8zbnh.png

acadia on
    d9svgj8kk4k8.jpg
    been painting clouds recently on my ipad in procreate

edited June 2019
    at84ecqn1c7l.png
    3nm0pc8yjoet.png
    rrv4bss2qn63.png

been taking old sketch pages, making them a linear burn layer, and then painting beneath them in procreate

acadia on
    edited June 2019
    v2
    v0hkemzpsc92.png

version 1 of restaurant:
    guthtnzononb.png

acadia on
    rhkwdzjpzj2y.png
    I cropped it and went crazy with the color balance sliders a few times and now I'm blind

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The western comics and the Post-apocalypse panels are really strong. Love the direction those are going in.

The painted sketches are fun too. I wouldn't be afraid to use that as a base for painting on top of, if you think it suits your process. That is how most of my paintings start and then I render over them.

In my thread you are talking about compositions, but I think your sense of composition is pretty strong! Its clear you are considering during the process on some level, I wouldn't get down on yourself about it.

You have nice work that has a lot of character and energy. You have a loose, sort of delicate quality to your lines, and I would be curious if you could get some sort of sharpness that carried through to your colors, so that you aren't loosing details and hard edges to your colors. It might require more time investment than you currently can allot for a painting, but I would think about it!

Thank you for the kind words! I consider composition in so much as I am aware of certain rules, though I am not diligent in applying them.

edited August 2019
    Whoosh
    m5nqc3xgiust.png
    mtt0px97u77z.png

There’s an earlier draft in the doodle thread

acadia on
    b1bhw5nyhy4b.png
    2jbtk6l74rk6.png
    ihh2gk2b4yui.png
    c67tr4ou3hzn.png

there are a lot of edges to clean up, I'm very bad at edges

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Damn tho, looking good. I sorta like the fuzzy photo effect but I would continue pushing for the practice. Good likeness on these, which is no small feat of measurement.

edited September 2019
    @Iruka Haha actually it was a pretty major feat of the liquify tool. Mac is the only one for whom I did any preliminary under sketch to place the features, and wouldn't you know it he's the best likeness imo.

acadia on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Digging the artwork on this page in general.

Funny comics too!

edited January 2020
    i cant tell if half of this stuff is traditional or not, like the charcoal stuff has to be digital cause theres no smudges in sight, and we know thats impossible with irl charcoal. dumb ass burnt wood, getta here charcoal

SeveredHead on
    @earthwormadam thanks man! and thanks!

@SeveredHead The only things not digital on this page are in the first three posts. The lines for the colored Star Wars illustrations were originally pencil sketch, but many of them were altered during the digital coloring process. All the comics are digital. I paid 8 bucks to download a set of Kyle's Brushes a few years back, and they do a great job mimicking traditional media in a way that I found very easy to work with. Way easier than working with actual real charcoal, I'll tell you that.

it is hard to tell though, the strokes are very nice, they look very convincing

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm hells of late and the AC moves stupid slow these days but I wanted to pop in and say that I fuckin love Bee Comic.

Its exactly my jam.

edited February 2020
    @Juggernut thanks a bunch, i should really make more comics

Hey remember that door i painted a billion years ago? I didn't gesso the canvas so now it looks like this:
    dj5bw91zah1w.jpg

So I just redid it on another canvas that I actually prepared correctly:
    bbenj40onsil.jpg
    0g7tvvpqnqj8.jpg

it's still in my possession though, so I'll be able to fix up that wonky ceiling light and bad texture/lighting above the door before I hand it off to its original intended recipient

acadia on
    8okyipr0ege0.jpeg

Orphan portrait of John Mayer. I’d say this is maybe 50% there but my brother wanted to push me into doing it in oil (it’s a birthday gift) so I’m finished with this I guess!

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I just went through your entire thread mate! You are very creative, and have a good eye for composition, color, lighting, scale and proportion. If you have time to really focus on a piece I believe you will create something super amazing!

edit: I hope I am not being disrespectful and made you feel uncomfortable, I truly feel that you already have the ingredients to go beyond the good stuff that was shown in the thread.

Peas on
    @Peas hey thanks, no disrespect received, always nice to get a compliment! I do tend to abandon ideas pretty quick, I don’t have any kind of running project, and I’m not a pro or anything, so thumbnails aren’t a part of my regular process (something I should probably adopt, and would improve composition and lighting design at least). I also jump around in subject matter, style, and medium. Jack of a bunch of trades, master of none. None my pieces really get the time and attention to reach “amazing” status, but I’ll never stop, so it’s only a matter of time till I find an idea cool enough, I bet. Till then, everything I do is just practice. Thank you for the kind words!

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I am really interested and envious of people with creativity because it's something I lack due to maybe my personality or upbringing
    How would you go about the process of ideation personally?

edited July 2020
    That's a tough one, as it's kind of a spontaneous process and is the subject of a lot of philosophical questions to which there is no real answer. You just kind of have to decide to do it, and don't judge your own brain for the stupid shit it comes up with when asked to perform that particular task. The stupidest idea, if put into the right context, can seem smart and well thought out.

And set yourself a deadline. I had to make 300 distinct comics a year ago over the span of a month, and they wouldn't have happened if I didn't have that self-imposed deadline of May 1st.

And if you can, find someone to hold you accountable (that can be your own self if need be). It also may not have happened had I not had another guy doing his own 300 at the same time.

As for standalone illustrations, I play in two weekly tabletop rpgs, which provide effort-free creativity.

acadia on
    edited October 2020
    ya4hlf1bhtpz.jpg

acadia on