As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Brought to you by Prime Minister Lump of Coal

19495969798100»

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Depressing.
    I always have trouble wondering how much value to place in the Lib's spiel about Labor's 'union mates'.
    Not so the other way round though, with 'rich mates'

discrider on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TIXwmQQl.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ka Pai, @Mortious!

I'll join you in a few years!

Ecco says that you probably know the national anthem now.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Surprising no-one, the freedom of religion review that the LNP has been sitting on is in part about legalizing cruelty to LGBT folk, making it legal for religious schools to fire LGBT staff and kick out LGBT students.

Which is presumably why they're so quiet because this will cost them more votes than it will win. The idiots in the LNP right think it will "energise the base", ignoring the fact that THEY ALREADY GET THOSE VOTES, either directly or via preferences. It's just bizarre rhetoric in a country where voting is compulsory.

Anyway, there's a decent breakdown in ABC arguing the PM is blind to the general public distaste for federal legal discrimination. It seems only Wentworth is making him bite his tongue, as supporting any change would give the election to the independent

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-10/religious-freedom-ruddock-schools-scott-morrison-christianity/10359612?pfmredir=sm

He has been stating that "it doesn't matter anyway since it's already legal to discriminate under state law", which of course means he's all for it and is preparing his case to defend it as "I'm only making federal law what is already state law".

It is depressing how many states do indeed allow schools to discriminate against LGBT staff and students though.

https://alastairlawrie.net/2017/01/30/back-to-school-back-to-discrimination-for-lgbt-students-and-teachers/

Bonus Round: Bolt is arguing today that any school with an anti-LGBT policy should not be entitled to government funding. Huh.

There is some good news: the report considered the gay wedding cake argument, and came down in favour of the people buying the cake, and that refusing to bake it should not be allowed.

But hey, it's a report. Governments can do nothing or only some parts, or even when they don't like the answer, implement some recommendations and go the opposite way with others.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blah.
    Was a long post; now a short one.

I'm not sure how you fix the divide between homophobic religions and the general populace without going to war with them.

Short of that, making them declare their homophobia and ensuring that identifying kids are not harmed if they are attending a homophobic school, whilst not allowing these attitudes in general society, all of which appear to be the recommendations of the report, would seem to me to be the best you can do.

• Options
    It would be amusing to pull bishops out of churches for hate speech though.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I was raised in a Christian household and the way I see religious people these days acting towards LGBT folk disgusts me, and doesn’t reflect the values I was raised with at all.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I have a question regarding a story I am seeing on my Twitter feed alot (I follow Wil Anderson and Charlie Clausen because of their footy podcast), and as a non-Australian I am just not getting it.

So, what's this big Sydney Opera House kerfuffle? I know it has to do with advertising, but haven't really read a good description of what it's all about, or why it is such a big deal.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I have a question regarding a story I am seeing on my Twitter feed alot (I follow Wil Anderson and Charlie Clausen because of their footy podcast), and as a non-Australian I am just not getting it.

So, what's this big Sydney Opera House kerfuffle? I know it has to do with advertising, but haven't really read a good description of what it's all about, or why it is such a big deal.
    I just assumed it was because the Opera House is a cultural landmark, people were offended by it being used for something as tacky as a billboard for advertising.

If it was anything more than that, I'd honestly be surprised.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    MorganV wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »

I just assumed it was because the Opera House is a cultural landmark, people were offended by it being used for something as tacky as a billboard for advertising.

If it was anything more than that, I'd honestly be surprised.

I think it specifically has to do with horse racing / sports betting in NSW and the large amount of lobbying influence they have. Sydney siders have rightfully rebelled against galling encroachment on even more of the public eye at the expense of something culturally significant to all Australians.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The Opera House has in the past been used for similar things in the past including sporting events, light projections onto the sails for a variety of topics.
    The previous projections were for the most part more like celebrations where this is just a big advertisement and endorsement of sports betting.

In terms of how tacky it is, It would be like projecting Football team colours onto the Statue of Liberty and then asking you to bet on the Superbowl.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    The Opera House has in the past been used for similar things in the past including sporting events, light projections onto the sails for a variety of topics.
    The previous projections were for the most part more like celebrations where this is just a big advertisement and endorsement of sports betting.

In terms of how tacky it is, It would be like projecting Football team colours onto the Statue of Liberty and then asking you to bet on the Superbowl.

Also we, as a nation, have a gambling problem. Which makes projecting a giant ad for gambling onto our most famous landmark kind of crass.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    the other issue is that the state premier went over the head of the opera house's managing director and overruled a decision not to put such crass advertising on the sails

and that was probably caused by alan jones calling the premier about it

it's just all shady as fuck

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Not to mention this football ground destruction.
    Gladys just seems to be standing out as terrible at the moment.
    Getting into 'who can cut immigration more' fights with the federal government..

discrider on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.