As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Eternal Card Game] Set two, Omens of the Past, released!

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I haven't played MTG in years so I'm not sure what its mulligan system is nowadays or if it's any better or what.

The only thing I can say is that Eternal's system feels unlikely to start both sides off with similarly powered hands. More often than not it feels like one side gets a much better opening or a much better set of answers. It's unlike Hearthstone, which despite all of its shortcomings does a much better job of letting both sides have a decent shot in the early and mid game.

I don't know how much of it to blame on deck sizes vs on the mulligan system itself. It's a shame because Eternal is such a better game than Hearthstone, it's just that the mulligan system frequently prevents me from being able to play the game that's there.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I just don't agree with that at all. I binged all the way from Bronze III to Diamond III recently and the number of non-games I had was maybe like 5%. If you find yourself consistently without threats/answers/power that sounds much more like a deckbuilding issue.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I've made it to master's with homebrew stuff so I don't think I'm terrible at deckbuilding.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    @APODionysus - Thank you for not playing Temporal against me :P

@EvilMonkey

Ha ha ha! We played? What were you playing?

I imagine I was on my incredibly brief stint with Praxis Tokens. I had been stuck on Diamond 1 for a while and no matter what deck I played couldn’t get any headway. In a fit of frustration last night I crafted Praxis Tokens and immediately went on a tear and hit Masters. Then this morning I got a Gold Chest Quest for 5 fire deck wins, so I just used Tokens to knock that out.

I’m now on almost exclusively Temporal because Masters.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I've made it to master's with homebrew stuff so I don't think I'm terrible at deckbuilding.

I mean, if you played enough to make it to masters then surely it wasn't entirely non-games all the way up or you'd have thrown your laptop out the window.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    @APODionysus - Thank you for not playing Temporal against me :P

@EvilMonkey

Ha ha ha! We played? What were you playing?

I imagine I was on my incredibly brief stint with Praxis Tokens. I had been stuck on Diamond 1 for a while and no matter what deck I played couldn’t get any headway. In a fit of frustration last night I crafted Praxis Tokens and immediately went on a tear and hit Masters. Then this morning I got a Gold Chest Quest for 5 fire deck wins, so I just used Tokens to knock that out.

I’m now on almost exclusively Temporal because Masters.

Must have been when you were working on the quest. You were in masters playing tokens against my valkyries. It took me too long to realize I recognized that name :P

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Alegis wrote: »
    First pack I open in sealed league

MmXk1PI.png

second pack

n6KhUvn.png

LOOKS LIKE RAKANO IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Update: I didn't do too well with that deck, despite the early good grabs ...

Stopped playing sealed league since. Tried it again this week, thought at first it was a mediocre draw but ended up with 26 wins and 14 losses 🎉

https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/IpUkWleWHxQ/sealed-league-22-26-wins-14-losses

Good for rank #81 now! But that's probably because people have yet to play their week 4 games. Hoping it remains high.
    Lesson learned: resist the shiny baubles (justice had Geomar and Sharp Reflexes 2x, but didn't want to drop a color for green) and go for overall consistency and options.

Alegis on
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Picked this back up since my gpu died and card games do just fine on integrated graphics. Grabbed the new adventure and man, while most of the cards seem pretty lackluster, NuVara is absolutely insane. I definitely see why she’s being called the Shadow Titan. If you’re running shadow I can’t really think of a reason you don’t immediately include 4 of her, she’s that good.

Azindel, Revealed is also an incredible top end for Xenan. He’s a great stall breaker and even just getting two cards off him can be backbreaking.

I’ve been running a xenan midrange deck that’s just steamrolling everything, though temporal can still be rough going if you don’t get the disciplainary weights on them or can’t find your removal.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    IT IS DONE

Auralian Merchant - Now 0/4 (was 1/4).
    Channel the Tempest - Now 9PPPP (was 8PPPP).
    Icaria, the Liberator - Now 8FFFJJJ (was 7FFFJJJ).
    Predatory Carnosaur - Now 7TTT for a 7/7 (was 6TTT for a 6/6).
    Vital Arcana - Now gains 2 health (instead of 4)

liEt3nH.png
    IT IS DONE

Auralian Merchant - Now 0/4 (was 1/4).
    Channel the Tempest - Now 9PPPP (was 8PPPP).
    Icaria, the Liberator - Now 8FFFJJJ (was 7FFFJJJ).
    Predatory Carnosaur - Now 7TTT for a 7/7 (was 6TTT for a 6/6).
    Vital Arcana - Now gains 2 health (instead of 4)

Icaria coming down on turn 5 instead of 4 isn’t much of a change, having played a dozen or so games with Rakano Valks post change. Bulletshaper remains the real issue.

Also the carnosaur buff is neat. I like that he eats tavrod now and can deal with new Azindel.

The Aurelian merchant change completely missed the point of what was broken about it, so I don’t see anyone dropping it from any lists, same with Icaria.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Auralian Merchant now at least doesn't kill X/1 without an Obelisk in play.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I would've liked to see it changed to 1/3 or 0/3, but I haven't played in a month+, so not really sure what the meta is like, especially since the new campaign.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I would've liked to see it changed to 1/3 or 0/3, but I haven't played in a month+, so not really sure what the meta is like, especially since the new campaign.

Every aggro board-vomit deck came out of the woodworks yesterday.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I think xenan is going to be the top of the heap once everything settles back down. It got two huge boosts in nuVara and Azindel.

Also yes, Aurelian merchant going to a 1/3 or 0/3 would have been a smarter change imo. Then it dies to torch as well as most playable 2-3 drops.

So what’s everyone here playing these days? With the death of my beloved Temporal, I’ve been trying a few things:

1) FJS Mid/Control: this is my primary deck as I climb right now. It suits my play style and is really good. Cookbook is an absurd card and Maidens are really good in the meta right now l

2) Xenan Talir Combo: I just love this deck. I love dumb combos and this a combo deck that’s also actually good!

3) Haunted Highway: I keep trying it. I just can not win with it. I don’t know why, I understand the deck is supposed to be great but I just can’t get anywhere.

4) TJS Mask Control: this deck isn’t that good right now, but I love it. I’ll probsbly play it a lot more once I hit Masters because I just really enjoy playing it.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Isn't Talir combo another Mask deck?

I usually play Big Xenan, some form of Scream, Skycraggro or Rakano Mid.

Nightmaul is a bad deck, but it's hilarious and preys on control that lacks lifegain.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    By the way this comes out on Xbox One this month

liEt3nH.png
    Kay wrote: »
    Isn't Talir combo another Mask deck?

I usually play Big Xenan, some form of Scream, Skycraggro or Rakano Mid.

Nightmaul is a bad deck, but it's hilarious and preys on control that lacks lifegain.

Talir Combo runs Mask, yes. It’s not a huge lynchpin though. I’ve won plenty without it and frequently DON’T grab it with my first Merchant. It’s good in the deck still, but is just not always even needed

edited November 2018
    Here's an entire album of the bullshit I've been up to: https://imgur.com/a/5jRBqw4

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    By the way this comes out on Xbox One this month

Switch version when

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I'm sure I get back into this when the set drops, though that kinda depends on whether the draft environment feels good.

Haven't really played in like... three months?

Almost always what gets me back into this game is playing it on mobile when I spend a week at my parent's place. But now I have a switch, which does not bode well for that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    metaghost wrote: »
    I'm sure I get back into this when the set drops, though that kinda depends on whether the draft environment feels good.

Haven't really played in like... three months?

The draft environment is going to be Defiance, Draft Pack, Draft Pack, Defiance. The new Draft Packs are also going to have some pretty big changes in them - Torch is gone, for example.

https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/defiance-draft-format-update/
    https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/draft-packs-card-list/

liEt3nH.png
    and apparently it's launching tomorrow, surprise!

liEt3nH.png

Maybe! No one is sure! Wheeee!

Are Sentinels good yet?

yeah sandstorm titan's real good

liEt3nH.png

Maybe! No one is sure! Wheeee!

https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/founders-veterans-packages-now-available/

day after tomorrow turns out

liEt3nH.png
  • webberwebber Registered User regular
    yeah sandstorm titan's real good

Also that Heart dude.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
    edited December 2018
    Loving the new set. Paladins tribal finally become competitive again with the addition of Hojan and Hidden Road smuggler; and draw Martyr's chains or Telut for endgame. 9 wins in a row, got me from diamonds 2 to master fairly quickly. Really good counter vs all that skycrag aggro, was struggling a bit with my rakano

going for draft masters next. Anyone done yet? How many drafts did you need?

Alegis on
    share the list you filthy coward

liEt3nH.png
    Bound by our oath!
    4 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
    4 Anointer of the Faithful (Set1003 #24)
    4 Cull the Deck (Set4 #202)
    4 Hojan, Crownbreaker (Set5 #86)
    3 Vanquisher's Blade (Set4 #112)
    3 Bloodletter (Set2 #235)
    4 Hidden Road Smuggler (Set5 #210)
    4 Slay (Set2 #236)
    4 Valkyrie Enforcer (Set1 #151)
    3 Auric Runehammer (Set1 #166)
    4 Copperhall Paladin (Set1002 #7)
    3 Oathbreaker (Set1 #521)
    2 Throne Warden (Set1 #514)
    1 Reyna, the Unwavering (Set5 #109)
    2 Telut, Queen's Hand (Set1004 #12)
    1 Sigvard, the Last Bastion (Set4 #144)
    7 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
    2 Crownwatch Standard (Set4 #97)
    4 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
    4 Argenport Banner (Set2 #231)
    4 Crest of Vengeance (Set3 #264)
    4 Seat of Vengeance (Set0 #55)
    MARKET
    1 Adjudicator's Gavel (Set5 #76)
    1 Vara, Vengeance-Seeker (Set1004 #19)
    1 Azindel's Gift (Set1 #306)
    1 Martyr's Chains (Set5 #110)
    1 Sword of the Sky King (Set1 #186)

Amplify is a fun addition to draft. Mighty Strikes is nuts and won me at least 3 of the 7 games to get out of a stuck end state:

BhSQFit.png

It's common too so I'm guessing fire will get drafted more than before

Hojan seems a mite bit silly.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • webberwebber Registered User regular
    I won a free Draft ticket from twitch.

I went 6-0 before losing twice to final bosses and then pulled the last game off for my first all crystal chest draft.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
    Hojan seems a mite bit silly.

hojan's definitely the Teacher of Humility of the set, in that he's the newest two drop that says "Hey! Fuck you!"

liEt3nH.png
    Why wouldn't Amplify make Spellcraft redundant? Why not consolidate both under Amplify?

Well, for starters, Spellcraft can only happen once, and the cost is balanced around happening once. But there's also some nuance - besides the fact that there are cards that specifically care about when you Spellcraft, spellcraft also generates a spell and casts it in addition to a relic being played.

I would compare it to Bore, that classic piece of red relic destruction. You could do Bore as an Amplify card. But having Bore work the way it does makes it behave differently have have decks care about it differently. Being a spell that you cast multiple times instead of one spell that scales means that anything that cares about casting spells (like say my Moment of Creation deck) cares about Bore in a new way.

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2019
    "Every archetype is cancer except mine"

57092922_10157194180164516_2054852748297371648_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=c77b3b6c9c5f00928940598dfa9198b8&oe=5D3D834B

Cantido on