As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park]? They still make that?

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    the punchline in the end was pretty great though.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that's what Roseanne blamed when she outed herself with racist comments on social media.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Episode was probably a B rating for me.

I don't get the Ambien joke. Is that tied to some sort of recent event? Did a person in real life try to blame Ambien (or another legal drug) for their out of control tweeting?

I did find the individual tweets to be hilarious, and PC Principal saying he was the Mannie was awesome. But the overall cohesion of the episode was a bit weak.
    Yeah, that was Roseanne's excuse when racist tweeting cost her her show.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I liked Cartmans line of "See how that works for you in 2018." and then later when Kyle was walking home beaten up and covered in shit. "See. 2018."

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Episode was probably a B rating for me.

I don't get the Ambien joke. Is that tied to some sort of recent event? Did a person in real life try to blame Ambien (or another legal drug) for their out of control tweeting?

I did find the individual tweets to be hilarious, and PC Principal saying he was the Mannie was awesome. But the overall cohesion of the episode was a bit weak.
    Yeah, that was Roseanne's excuse when racist tweeting cost her her show.

Heh, yeah, and then the makers of Ambien responded with something like 'Racism is not a side-effect of Ambien.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I took way to long to get the joke in the title of that game.

I didn't realize that the south park movie's title was a dick joke until like a decade later

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I took way to long to get the joke in the title of that game.

I didn't realize that the south park movie's title was a dick joke until like a decade later

I just realized it right now!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    This was a good episode. Towelie, Randy owning a marijuana farm, and lampooning vaping.

It also felt like the most cohesive episode we’ve had this season.

I saw the description, how did they lampoon vaping?

edited October 2018
    Viskod wrote: »
    I saw the description, how did they lampoon vaping?
    Half of the episode was about how they are targeted to children, the other half was Randy saying how douchy they are and calling them “p**** sticks”.

LostNinja on
    How are they targeted to children?

How are they targeted to children?

In real life: candy/fruit flavored vapes with childish names.
    In the show: the above, but also Cartman hires a Kool-aid man esque Vape mascot to show up in the school cafeteria.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    82ge88ohz5t8.jpg

Oh yes. The insipid argument that adults can’t possibly enjoy flavors.

I’d best tell my boyfriend he’s too old to enjoy his bubblegum e liquid

Oh yes. The insipid argument that adults can’t possibly enjoy flavors.

I’d best tell my boyfriend he’s too old to enjoy his bubblegum e liquid

If it means not getting kids hooked on this shit. Yes, absolutely!

No.

Flavor does not mean child only.
    Flavor does not mean child targeted.

This is video games cause violence levels of bad faith correlation.

edited October 2018
    No.

Flavor does not mean child only.
    Flavor does not mean child targeted.

This is video games cause violence levels of bad faith correlation.

Studies don’t back up your point here...

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/infographics/teens-e-cigarettes

8b3ds9qcvlrw.jpeg

That bottom charts seems to show that the flavoring increases the risk of use amount teens, without them even realizing what is in them.

LostNinja on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    adults like cartoons too. look at where we hang out. It's still wrong to use cartoon mascots with very wide appeal to sell adult-oriented products.

vaping as a means to guide people off of smoking to something lower risk is awesome.

As teen smoking drops, teen vaping use is going way up because vaping is getting away with doing the shit we told cigarette manufacturers to stop doing.

Captain crunch flavored vape juice might be tasty, but it also obviously sits in a space where marketing it as adult only is pretty difficult.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    That chart is not reliable because many people vape liquid that is nicotine free.

And whether someone moves on from vaping to smoking is not the point.

And that teens vape is not the point.

The fact that flavors exist does not inherently imply a scheme that the sole reason they exist is just to ensnare under age teenagers.

Adults like flavors to. If you’ve never had any kind of flavored alcohol then okay I guess you’re honestly unaware of that fact.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    That chart is not reliable because many people vape liquid that is nicotine free.

And whether someone moves on from vaping to smoking is not the point.

And that teens vape is not the point.

The fact that flavors exist does not inherently imply a scheme that the sole reason they exist is just to ensnare under age teenagers.

Adults like flavors to. If you’ve never had any kind of flavored alcohol then okay I guess you’re honestly unaware of that fact.

This argument falls into the space where your personal enjoyment of something is worth more to you then the fact that there actually is a massive issue with the thing you enjoy creating a young addict population.

It's not horribly dissimilar from gun collectors not wanting there to be rules on how many guns they can own because their hobby is more important than the downstream cost it causes.

adults like flavors. sure. they also like a large number of other things we have made illegal or regulated because they are a net negative to society.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Also that is the exact argument the cigarette companies gave regarding joe camel. Which ended up being hollow bullshit because of course they made a cartoon masot because they wanted kids to think they were cool.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Joe camel is obvious.

If there was a dancing cartoon peppermint advertising peppermint schnapps I would say the same thing.

But just the fact that peppermint schnapps exists doesn’t mean it’s for children.

I don’t vape and I would love for the vaping industry to be more heavily regulated. I think it is in desperate need of it and none of it has to do with something so stupid like flavors.

All of the various parts and components, the rampant counterfeits that plague the industry, their availability online from unreliable suppliers, the push for external batteries and higher and higher wattage mods, liquids with obscene nicotine content.

It’s a fucking quagmire and even finding a good quality brick and mortar shop can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Something like "fruit punch" is one thing. But then there's "Hoop dreams" with a cartoon picture of a box of "Fruit Loops" that I'm almost positive is just a screengrab from The Simpsons.

I'm also seeing "Crunchy Cap't" and the image is straight up Captain Crunch, so I'm sure the copyright usage is on the up and up here.

I'm just looking at random shit online from one of the local stores. Some of the images are fine. Some are complete nonsense. And some of them really tow the line.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyways...I really liked the episode overall. Though I eyerolled a bit at Randy hating on vapers. Totally get not targeting kids with them...but man as an adult in Colorado, the amount of gatekeeping some weed smokers like to pull on people who vape instead of smoking a blunt is beyond annoying.

camo_sig2.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Anyways...I really liked the episode overall. Though I eyerolled a bit at Randy hating on vapers. Totally get not targeting kids with them...but man as an adult in Colorado, the amount of gatekeeping some weed smokers like to pull on people who vape instead of smoking a blunt is beyond annoying.

Randy had a totally different attitude in the Guitar Hero episode. He could play a real guitar while Stan and Kyle were playing with plastic toys yet he was open to giving them music lessons and hanging out.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I hate vaping for the sole reason that it seems like a lot of people think it's an acceptable thing to do in public simply because it's "not as bad as smoking".

I don't want to smell a fuckin' cloud of raspberry-flavored vapor any more than I do a cloud of menthol-flavored smoke.

RT800 on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Good episode, second best this season. The weed farmer got old quick but No Easy Way Out + Two Princes, that is classy solid jams and hat callback, brah.

Is PC Principal's secretary from the Peppermint Hippo?

Watching the Halloween episode, and it occurs to me how absolutely genius "Tegridy Farms" actually is from a creator stand point. With weed being legal in Colorado, if the creators ever wanted to make (even greater) bank, they could license that name out to the highest bidder in a fraction of a second.

I'm guessing that if you were to make a Venn diagram of "People who smoke weed" and "People of a legal age who watch Southpark", I'm guessing the two circles would show a considerable amount of overlap.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Watching the Halloween episode, and it occurs to me how absolutely genius "Tegridy Farms" actually is from a creator stand point. With weed being legal in Colorado, if the creators ever wanted to make (even greater) bank, they could license that name out to the highest bidder in a fraction of a second.

I'm guessing that if you were to make a Venn diagram of "People who smoke weed" and "People of a legal age who watch Southpark", I'm guessing the two circles would show a considerable amount of overlap.

With the way the tegridy episode itself ended in more surprised to hear they haven't .

That end bit felt like the book of mormon gag advert at the end of the broadway episode.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

With the way the tegridy episode itself ended in more surprised to hear they haven't .

That end bit felt like the book of mormon gag advert at the end of the broadway episode.

To be fair, they very well might have. In that proposed Venn diagram, I would fit in the tiny sliver of people who watch the show, but don't use marijuana.

I hope we never find out where the scooters came from.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Best episode of the season, liked the uses of Grinch and The Purge with the scooters/candy. Also it was probably the most coherent Kenny has been with his hoodie since the very beginning.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pretty good episode, Mr. Mackey is a fun character.

I'm liking these nods to continuity each episode has that are increasing in number, from the gunshots at school to the Tegridy Farm shirt Stan has to the CANCELED billboard. I'm expecting that the rest of the episodes will have those scooters kicking around in the streets. I wonder if all that is building up to something specific.

H9f4bVe.png
    Great episode. I love the silly ones more than the "preachy" ones.

camo_sig2.png
    I think Man-Bear-Pig is an allusion to something.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    These RDR2 references, whilst good, are not going to age well.
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Yah, I wonder what that is... It is a mystery for the ages... /s. :P

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    These RDR2 references, whilst good, are not going to age well.
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Yah, I wonder what that is... It is a mystery for the ages... /s. :P

I still chuckle at the LA Noire joke in “You’re Gettin Old”

Wow. Really good episode. A little too overt with the allegory but loved it.

camo_sig2.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Wow. Really good episode. A little too overt with the allegory but loved it.

The people who this episode was aimed for aren't going to respond to subtlety.