As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    It was pointed in out in the last one or two Directs before release, don't know if there were any ads for it. I haven't seen it on shelves myself, but didn't really look because I bought the Expansion Pass for the base game.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Tangentially, I could see Rex working out as a Shulk clone (not an Echo) by keeping most of the A-moves, swapping out most of his B-moves for the ones he actually possesses, and then trading Monado Arts for a Pyra/Mithra toggle that swaps him between two different sets of attributes. As in, slower but heavier and more powerful with Pyra, and the reverse with Mithra (and maybe borrow Marth's tipper mechanic in that mode).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Tangentially, I could see Rex working out as a Shulk clone (not an Echo) by keeping most of the A-moves, swapping out most of his B-moves for the ones he actually possesses, and then trading Monado Arts for a Pyra/Mithra toggle that swaps him between two different sets of attributes. As in, slower but heavier and more powerful with Pyra, and the reverse with Mithra (and maybe borrow Marth's tipper mechanic in that mode).

Siren or Ophion... or just make the final smash dependent on which one is out?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

@Kupi I kinda want more 'high-concept' characters like this. I love to try to hash out concepts for what various videogame characters would play like in Smash, but I honestly feel like the current roster has so much attribute & moveset diversity that it's getting hard to come up with a straight-forward fighter that isn't basically just a remix of other fighters. So let's start dipping into crazy concepts like they did with Ice Climbers, characters who shift between different 'modes', etc. Like, I'm not really a fan of Steve from Minecraft, but the 'build them up, break them down' playstyle people were tossing around would be something really fresh.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I kinda want more 'high-concept' characters like this. I love to try to hash out concepts for what various videogame characters would play like in Smash, but I honestly feel like the current roster has so much attribute & moveset diversity that it's getting hard to come up with a straight-forward fighter that isn't basically just a remix of other fighters. So let's start dipping into crazy concepts like they did with Ice Climbers, characters who shift between different 'modes', etc. Like, I'm not really a fan of Steve from Minecraft, but the 'build them up, break them down' playstyle people were tossing around would be something really fresh.

Please read this with the wry smirk it's being written under: I find this response amusing because I'm actually proposing just remixing Shulk. The root of the idea is really just "Shulk, but Monado Arts is two broad swappable modes that last instead of five temporary, focused buffs".

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I kinda want more 'high-concept' characters like this. I love to try to hash out concepts for what various videogame characters would play like in Smash, but I honestly feel like the current roster has so much attribute & moveset diversity that it's getting hard to come up with a straight-forward fighter that isn't basically just a remix of other fighters. So let's start dipping into crazy concepts like they did with Ice Climbers, characters who shift between different 'modes', etc. Like, I'm not really a fan of Steve from Minecraft, but the 'build them up, break them down' playstyle people were tossing around would be something really fresh.

Please read this with the wry smirk it's being written under: I find this response amusing because I'm actually proposing just remixing Shulk. The root of the idea is really just "Shulk, but Monado Arts is two broad swappable modes that last instead of five temporary, focused buffs".

Speed (increased speed, jumping, and mutual damage taken), vs Shield (increased defense, weight, and launching ability)?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Fair point, but it's still more interesting than "Character A, but replace some of their specials with moves like Characters B's or C's, and tweak their weight/strength/speed attributes". It's like how people complain about all the sword-wielding characters; sure there's a lot of differences between the Marth/Roy normal moveset and Corrin's or Link's, but they still feel pretty samey until you start comparing their special moves or things like Link's tether-grab. How many characters have some variety of rising dragon uppercut for their up-B special move? Mode-changing characters like what you're describing & Pokemon Trainer (or how Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS used to be) are a step up, but ideally I'd like to see them go further (hence my Ice Climbers example).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I really don't like Ashgreninja.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/-zKqvcwnmGA
    mostly quiet in the rumors front now that everybody’s “I think they’re going to announce an announcement this week” was blown out
    I think only thing I heard was there was some Canadian Nintendo Event where the venue was saying that Nintendo wouldn’t say what game they were bringing or something

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Quiet on the rumor front, you say? To Google!

….ah, there's a questionable rendering of Geno, and another list claiming Isaac, Skull Kid, Incineroar and "a Square Enix rep," along with echo versions of Shadow the Hedgehog, Ken and Dixie. Plus a stab at describing "Spirits":
    “The secret mode in the latest smash direct is called Spirit Mode. This mode will be a Hybrid of Subspace Emissary form Brawl and Adventure Mode form Melee. In this mode you have to collect the character´s soul to unlock them. You will star with the 8 original characters (Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, Yoshi, Pikachu, Fox and Kirby) and will have to defeat bosses like Dracula (from Castlevania) and Rathalos (from Monster Hunter). This all I know about this mode.”

That's almost overly-safe guesses anyone could use to gin up a fake leak. Then again, I wouldn't bet much money against any of that.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Also, because those leaks aren't stupid enough, I give you -- chair theory:

Other people have guessed this is confirmation of Skull Kid, because *rapidly moves finger over lips to make beeble beeble beeble noises*

My favorite explanation of that was saying that the chairs are too ugly to not be placed there for a reason.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Chair theory is old, but also hilarious. Never change, internet.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm willing to believe they intentionally put those chairs in the shot, but just to troll the waluigi fans.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    ...Waluigi isn't purple and yellow, though? That's Wario.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah I was about to say what part of waluigi is yellow

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    yeah I was about to say what part of waluigi is yellow

The letter on his cap, but that's about it

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Sakurai represented Waluigi as a chair because adding Waluigi to Smash is beneath him.

Also, the chair theory camme about after waluigi was revealed as a trophy. They're not going to make a character both things in the same game, people.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I can't imagine they put Waluigi in as an assist trophy purely to fake out the fanbase before the launch. It's not impossible that later they might change their mind and make him a DLC character while removing the assist trophy. But it's a stretch, they clearly already thought about it before they added the assist.

The simplest way to troll if Waluigi were in the game would be to unveil seemingly every other assist trophy and then he'd stick out by his absence. Then don't reveal him for months.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    They should make Waluigi a Pokeball Pokemon instead.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Troll level 1: Waluigi is an assist trophy, sorry internet
    Troll level 7: Waluigi isn't an assist trophy - he's actually playable!
    Troll level 10: Waluigi isn't in the game at all. He's not even an assist trophy

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Troll level 1: Waluigi is an assist trophy, sorry internet
    Troll level 7: Waluigi isn't an assist trophy - he's actually playable!
    Troll level 10: Waluigi isn't in the game at all. He's not even an assist trophy

Ah. The Isaac maneuver...

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The real Waluigi has been in our hearts all along.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hate that this game’s rumor stuff is somehow worse than 4’s.

No longer just leaks, we now gotta deal with every redditor’s pet theory.

YL9WnCY.png
    Maz- wrote: »
    The real Waluigi has been in our hearts all along.

And soon, all too soon, he will emerge.

Sterica wrote: »
    I hate that this game’s rumor stuff is somehow worse than 4’s.

No longer just leaks, we now gotta deal with every redditor’s pet theory.

Tell me about it. I stumbled into one article on a fairly professional site that said "the rumors say we're getting a Squeenix character, and the director of Kingdom Hearts said he wouldn't mind if his characters got into Smash, therefore it must be Sora!"

I mean, has there ever been any game director who has said they wouldn't want their character in Smash?

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I'm calling fake on those Geno pics because he looks terrible.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I'm calling fake on those Geno pics because he looks terrible.

Any time I see artwork of Geno blown up beyond the normal in-game sprites it looks weird. I guess I'm just not that attached to a mostly naked doll.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I've never understood Geno's appeal. (changemymind.meme)

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I've never understood Geno's appeal. (changemymind.meme)

He’s Pinocchio with lasers. How is that not awesome?
    I never used him once I got Peach and Bowser.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited October 2018
    My final team is invariably Peach and Geno. Geno Boost is very nice, Geno Blast and Geno Flash are nice ways to clear big enemy groups, and Peach may as well be mandatory for how busted powerful her healing spell is.

Enlong on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It is really weird how Geno’s sprite is pretty cool looking, but EVERY other depiction is just a creepy doll.

Even his sprite in Mario & Luigi.

YL9WnCY.png
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I think it's just because his sprite lacks enough detail that he looks mostly like a guy in a cloak and cap with some bangs hanging out in his eyes. Everything else emphasizes his weird doll body and makes it more apparent that his cloak is just a short cape and he's otherwise naked.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Chair theory is old, but also hilarious. Never change, internet.

It also doesnt make sense because those are Warios colors

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    It’s also wario who says Wah all the time

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    CD World Tour status:
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm going to push very hard for meter final smashes if we get some tourneys going on this board I tell you what.

It would be down right irresponsible of the community to not try out some various modes this time around. I do some TOing in my area, and im certainly following a lot of rules stuff right now. I'm super worried people are going to try and cut stages for no real reason.

IIRC you can turn off stage mechanics now, which should open up a lot of tourney legal options.

that's what i mean though, people are STILL talking about having only 9 legal stages even with the hazard toggle... even though it's looking like there are really more like 30+ viable stages.

I never understood the whole thing with 'legal stages' in Smash 4. The game gives you the option to turn every stage into a hazard-less Final Destination style platform, but tournaments stick only with a few stages like Smashville and Lylat Cruise. What exactly is so special about those stages over the other Omega versions of stages?

BlueBlue wrote: »

I seriously doubt it'll be the 100% completed game. If it were done by, well, now, Nintendo wouldn't willingly miss Black Friday.

This discussion has been closed.