As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Literally everyone's terrified of Dresden and what he could do should he choose to do it at this point. It's why everyone's always trying to play him.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm, a thought - are wards an exception to not killing with magic?

Because we know wizard's dwellings grow into magical fortresses (not just Dresden but in general) as they pile on wards. And those wards can hit back hard enough to drop fae, vampires, etc.

So do they have to detect for humans... or is it written off as "poor bastard" if a mundane human trips one by trying to break in?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Because we know wizard's dwellings grow into magical fortresses (not just Dresden but in general) as they pile on wards. And those wards can hit back hard enough to drop fae, vampires, etc.

So do they have to detect for humans... or is it written off as "poor bastard" if a mundane human trips one by trying to break in?

I seem to recall they're usually tied to the Threshold, which doesn't give any shits about mundane humans.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I seem to recall they're usually tied to the Threshold, which doesn't give any shits about mundane humans.

Wards
    But Dresden gave Murphy a token to get past his wards or something, right? I'm not super clear if I'm remembering that correctly... but that would imply that they do affect Muggles too.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

Wards
    But Dresden gave Murphy a token to get past his wards or something, right? I'm not super clear if I'm remembering that correctly... but that would imply that they do affect Muggles too.

Hmm...good point.
    Two thoughts: that was the locking component of the ward or Murphy has started hanging around with a lot of non-Muggles lately. Though now I'm questioning timing and all that given that the last few books made a considerable number of changes to things.

kime wrote: »

Wards

Hmm...good point.
    Two thoughts: that was the locking component of the ward or Murphy has started hanging around with a lot of non-Muggles lately. Though now I'm questioning timing and all that given that the last few books made a considerable number of changes to things.

Dead Beat spoilers
    When Harry used the activatable wards, it seemed like they were pretty indiscriminately blowing up anything that got near. I don't think it was specific to supernatural creatures. It's possible Harry just went all-out on those since they were meant to be more powerful than his standard wards, though.

Steam profile

Threshold is a convenient anchor, but I think it just doesn't affect mundane humans because they don't have magic to affect.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Keep in mind that while Harry gets lots of powerups it's never enough to let him curbstomp the problems he faces in successive books, usually not even enough to put him on even footing with whoever is trying to kill him. It gets supplemented by his own experience, tricks, and guile. Also lots of smart-assery.

And people already know his titles. That's partially why he terrifies so many factions in the world, because they don't see a guy who keeps getting into impossible situations and escaping by the skin of his teeth, they see his accomplishments and interpret them to mean he is far more powerful than he really is.

Well yeah. Butcher loves him some Power Creep, but he also plays by RPG rules. One day a Goblin is a terrifying foe, five levels later you're soloing them by the dozens. One adventure's "mini boss" is next adventure's "minion", just as the current one's "Boss" is a later "mini-boss". This especially plays out with the
    Blackened Denarius, where even being in the same postal code with one is terrifying at the start, and then a dozen books later he's lighting them up in groups. Yes, often with more powerful allies in hand as well, or through fighting smarter (better tactics, leveled up the party as well), but I always see it very much in the ways table top or PC/Console RPGs line it up.

Dresden starts at level 1 fighting level 10 things. He later gets to level 10, but he's dealing with level 20 problems. He's almost always punching above his weightclass, but some of the older names will show up and either they have done a bit of grinding of their own, like Marcone, or they get stomped on his way to the real fight.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Forar wrote: »
    Keep in mind that while Harry gets lots of powerups it's never enough to let him curbstomp the problems he faces in successive books, usually not even enough to put him on even footing with whoever is trying to kill him. It gets supplemented by his own experience, tricks, and guile. Also lots of smart-assery.

And people already know his titles. That's partially why he terrifies so many factions in the world, because they don't see a guy who keeps getting into impossible situations and escaping by the skin of his teeth, they see his accomplishments and interpret them to mean he is far more powerful than he really is.

Well yeah. Butcher loves him some Power Creep, but he also plays by RPG rules. One day a Goblin is a terrifying foe, five levels later you're soloing them by the dozens. One adventure's "mini boss" is next adventure's "minion", just as the current one's "Boss" is a later "mini-boss". This especially plays out with the
    Blackened Denarius, where even being in the same postal code with one is terrifying at the start, and then a dozen books later he's lighting them up in groups. Yes, often with more powerful allies in hand as well, or through fighting smarter (better tactics, leveled up the party as well), but I always see it very much in the ways table top or PC/Console RPGs line it up.

Dresden starts at level 1 fighting level 10 things. He later gets to level 10, but he's dealing with level 20 problems. He's almost always punching above his weightclass, but some of the older names will show up and either they have done a bit of grinding of their own, like Marcone, or they get stomped on his way to the real fight.

I find this funny because the Dresden game actually sorta addresses this.
    They use the term "scale". If you're aiming at somebody higher up then they have a much easier time resisting you, and the opposite if you go down. The bonuses for the game system are heavy. Oh, also, they apply per a level so mortals do not talk shit to Hades under any circumstance.

Levels:
    Mortal: What it says on the tin. Murphy is a solid example for most of the series.
    Supernatural: Wizards, Vampires, Faeries, oh my. The Pack usually falls here or thereabouts.
    Otherworldly: The best of the previous entry. So White Council Wizard, Lord Raith, Bigfoot. Michael as a Knight of the Cross is here. Oh, also Harry post Changes.
    Legendary: If you can say things like "The [blank] of [blank]" probably here. Mab, Titiana, and Nicodemus land here.
    Godlike: The Crones are here, Odin, Hades and the like.

It is intentionally fuzzy and allows you to consider scales shifting a bit depending on folks special affinities. It would be a bad idea to try and freeze Mab for example even if you are Odin.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Would be a bad idea to do anything to Mab, no matter what god you are if the theories are remotely correct.

As for wards, I think anything that tries to break your door down is probably considered self-defence anyway in terms of 'magic to kill a human'...however Harry would like to keep his rap sheet as short as possible...
    Which is why he was so quick on turning them off when the FBI came a banging.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited October 2018
    I don't recall if it was described in depth, but regarding wards
    a lot of them seem to be defensive in nature; shielding/repelling entry by supernatural creatures, or alarms/informative types. I don't recall a ton of actual hazardous ones, and based on the way I recall them being used in the books, it seems like you could probably tailor a response based on the entity in question. Magically equipped/monstrously powerful supernatural beings getting a different response than a homeless person trying to break in for shelter, that kind of thing.

Combine that with veils and such to turn away or otherwise dissuade all but the most determined invaders, it doesn't seem difficult for someone of Harry's caliber (or a team of minor mages, as the Paranet are noted to do) to have some gradiation/proportional response built in.

Although I also don't recall this thing with the FBI, maybe that's in Brief Cases, which I really should get around to reading, but then I'll have no new Dresden Files until Peace Talks (in 2030 or whatever)

Edit: I also own 2 of the Dresden RPG books, I should finish reading those too. Maybe run an actual game sometime.

Forar on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He better not turn into Martin, 2030 my ass! Next year or I frown harder!

I mean, hyperbole aside, it has been over 3.5 years. I know about the whole 'I need my space to work', I get that the house that was supposed to take a year took 3 (or whatever it was), but at this point I'm quietly hoping we see Peace Talks in 2019, but I won't be shocked if it falls back even further at this point.

A cursory bit of Google'ing indicates an alleged 'early 2019' release (yay), but also rumours that his fiance (now wife) was going to hold him to completing the book before they got married, and that didn't happen, so... whelp... I don't blame a guy for having priorities, but our wait shall continue unabated.

3 of the last 5 books (not compilations) were released in March, so it'd be awesome if that happened, but I'm sure there are posts from a previous revision of this thread with my feeling optimistic about a 2017 or 2018 release as well, so I'm trying to temper that (not quite) infinite optimism.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I like this series, but boy when you list all of his power ups through the years it sounds frankly ridiculous.

The wiki does a pretty good job of listing them, under "possessions" if you're just interested in physical trinkets and not allies or spells. Someone also saw fit to include his Mickey Mouse alarm clock and original Star Wars poster.

(Spoilers, obviously):
    http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Dresden

Looking through it, its interesting to see how many of these he's actually lost in various fights, although he almost always seems to replace lost gear with something better, given the chance.

Spoilers for pretty much everything:
    His gun has been upgraded three times from a cheap $100 "Saturday night special" to a "Why would you ever even need a round that big" .500 magnum which Murphy got him at some point. His duster was originally cloth, then he got his leather one which he subsequently covered in protective runes and lined with body armor.

He went from a basic kinetic ring to one on each finger, to fancy kinetic rings which hold 3x the power, then he lost them at some point.

He's only on his second staff, but it has the same runes that he used for the rings carved 77 times.

His blasting rod hasn't been mentioned in a while, possibly it was a bit redundant now that he carries his staff everywhere? I think this is the only piece of his gear that never really gets an upgrade.

I'd totally forgot about his belt buckle which acts as a magical "battery" and stores power, I think that was only ever mentioned once? Possibly lost.

Interestingly there is one example of a downgrade in that he lost his fancy shield bracelet with the shields made of multiple metals, and the replacement is a simple copper band that sometimes sparks when he uses it.

As for who would play Harry on a TV show, in my mind's eye he's always played by a young Harrison Ford, so whoever they pick isn't going to match up with my head-pictures anyway.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I feel like Grant Gustin would make a good Harry Dresden but I'd much rather have more The Flash than the almost-certainly-awful Dresden Files Adaptation Mark II, so.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Upgrades:
    Actually not getting into specifics, I flipped through the DF roleplaying game books (which Butcher was heavily involved with IIRC) awhile back and one of the interesting things they did was explain Dresden's growth in ability over the course of the series in terms of the game's mechanics, broken down book by book up through Small Favor.

The canonicity's a little twitchy of course, but it was interesting seeing the "growing from moderately competent to genuinely really scary" through practice and experience as much as from gathering McGuffins and allies. Think things like "having to deal with Molly as an apprentice is forcing him to get better at X, Y and Z in order to teach her properly."

And Dresden's wizardpower levels in general:
    I seem to recall it mentioned somewhere in the books that in terms of pure ability to deposit energy on a target, Dresden's one of the few dozen strongest wizards on the planet, even if he's nowhere near that level in terms of his actual talents applying that strength. Am I offbase there? Was that in fact a thing that came up?
    He's up there, these days. Keeping in mind that in book one he's the most powerful wizard in a major world city, and he's gotten quite a bit more powerful since then.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that while Dresden may be able to unload a lot of power, even he fully admits that someone with less power but far greater skill would have no problem handling him, such as pretty much any of the sitting White Council members. There's enemies he has trouble fighting directly against while some of the White Council make them jokes.

KetBra wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Upgrades:
    Actually not getting into specifics, I flipped through the DF roleplaying game books (which Butcher was heavily involved with IIRC) awhile back and one of the interesting things they did was explain Dresden's growth in ability over the course of the series in terms of the game's mechanics, broken down book by book up through Small Favor.

The canonicity's a little twitchy of course, but it was interesting seeing the "growing from moderately competent to genuinely really scary" through practice and experience as much as from gathering McGuffins and allies. Think things like "having to deal with Molly as an apprentice is forcing him to get better at X, Y and Z in order to teach her properly."

And Dresden's wizardpower levels in general:
    I seem to recall it mentioned somewhere in the books that in terms of pure ability to deposit energy on a target, Dresden's one of the few dozen strongest wizards on the planet, even if he's nowhere near that level in terms of his actual talents applying that strength. Am I offbase there? Was that in fact a thing that came up?
    He's up there, these days. Keeping in mind that in book one he's the most powerful wizard in a major world city, and he's gotten quite a bit more powerful since then.
    Wizards strong enough to join the White Council aren't exactly common - the vast majority of talents in Chicago are weak ones, and combined with wizards keeping to themselves a lot... I don't know that you can rule out a stronger wizard (at least in experience) being around, but just being a member of the White Council definitely made him among the strongest wizards in the city. There just isn't much competition if you limit it to that minimum power level. He's at best average within the Council in the first book (his raw power balancing out his inexperience).

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    In terms of escalation of power I'm really looking forward to seeing:

Turn Coat spoilers:
    The Merlin himself cut loose. He's supposed to be the most powerful wizard on the planet by an order of magnitude, but so far we've only seen hints and second-hand retelling of what he's really capable of. He supposedly once held off the entire Red Court for some time with a single ward, and was able to contain a Mistfiend (in itself stated to be an incredible feat) whilst simultaneously telepathically giving orders to an entire room full of people at the same time.

I want to see what he's capable of when he's not being ambushed or taken by surprise, Batman with preparation time, if you will.

Mr Ray on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Turn Coat spoilers:
    The Merlin himself cut loose. He's supposed to be the most powerful wizard on the planet by an order of magnitude, but so far we've only seen hints and second-hand retelling of what he's really capable of. He supposedly once held off the entire Red Court for some time with a single ward, and was able to contain a Mistfiend (in itself stated to be an incredible feat) whilst simultaneously telepathically giving orders to an entire room full of people at the same time.

I want to see what he's capable of when he's not being ambushed or taken by surprise, Batman with preparation time, if you will.
    And the most impressive part?
    He did it calmly.
    No panic, no scrambling for a plan, any plan, no last second lucky breaks.
    In some ways, Merlin would make a horrible protagonist, because he would be prepared for almost anything, no need for last minute scramblings to save the day, no lucky breaks, no narrative tension of "oh how can he overcome this new horrible thing".

And that's pretty much what you would expect from a century+ old chessmaster wizard who leads other century+ old chessmaster wizards.

Mr Ray wrote: »

Turn Coat spoilers:

Stricly speaking,
    I think he may be surpassed by Ivy, but that's because she has essentially the sum total of humanity's knowledge.

There's no doubt the Merlin lives up to the title. But Ivy probably has all of the notes and stuff of original Merlin to work with.

The one time she got into a fight in the books was basically the worst possiboe scenario for a wizard and she still was able to contain multiple denarians on her own.

edited October 2018
    Welp, time to start re-reading Dresden, I guess.

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)
    Dresden shows up to Bianca's Vampire Prom in a bad Dracula costume

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Every time this thread gets updated I think the new book came out and I missed it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Every time this thread gets updated I think the new book came out and I missed it.

Every time this thread is updated someone makes this comment.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It’s tradition.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He is stupidly late, it better be one damn impressive house!

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My partner's recovering from a surgery this weekend, so we're pushing our way through reading Storm Front aloud. We're about 5 chapters from the end, and we ordered Fool Moon this afternoon.

She is thoroughly hooked, I think.

EDIT: I can't wait for the "oh shit" when
    the full impact of Bianca's plot in Grave Peril becomes clear and the stakes are permanently raised.

WACriminal on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)
    And it's not until you start getting deeper in the series that you realize almost everyone of importance throughout the series was introduced at that party or mentioned in some way.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)
    And it's not until you start getting deeper in the series that you realize almost everyone of importance throughout the series was introduced at that party or mentioned in some way.

(Grave Peril and all future book spoilers)
    Including a couple who have yet to be given their moment in the spotlight.

edited October 2018

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)

Yeah it's funny going back and rereading that book now. One detail in particular that jumped out
    was that Lea is fishing for Molly before anyone knows she's a magic user

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)

Yeah it's funny going back and rereading that book now. One detail in particular that jumped out

Digressing into much later books a bit (just assume current)
    Huh. Don't remember that but I shouldn't be surprised - the actual Leanansidhe legends are about her acting as a muse (for a price, of course). Hell, she trained Dresden some too (he did not enjoy her kind of training, but it was supposedly quite effective). So between that nature and her being among the most powerful Winter fae... yeah, it makes sense.

edited October 2018

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)

Huh. Don't remember that but I shouldn't be surprised - the actual Leanansidhe legends are about her acting as a muse (for a price, of course). Hell, she trained Dresden some too (he did not enjoy her kind of training, but it was supposedly quite effective). So between that nature and her being among the most powerful Winter fae... yeah, it makes sense.

Grave Peril
    Lea made a face. "Faugh. Just so. Holy." Her smile turned sly again. "But there are others whose lives you hold and can be bargained with. You have children, do you not?" She shivered again an said, "Mortal children are so sweet. And can be bent and shaped in so many, many ways. Your eldest daughter, I think, would-"

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited October 2018
    [

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)

Grave Peril
    Lea made a face. "Faugh. Just so. Holy." Her smile turned sly again. "But there are others whose lives you hold and can be bargained with. You have children, do you not?" She shivered again an said, "Mortal children are so sweet. And can be bent and shaped in so many, many ways. Your eldest daughter, I think, would-"

Not only that but The Winter Lady:
    Knew about Harry's daughter before he did back in Summers Knight. She tried to get him to offer her 'his firstborn' while pretending he had not conceived her yet. So she offered him some tail as a distraction.

azith28 on
    azith28 wrote: »
    [

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)

Grave Peril

Knew about Harry's daughter before he did back in Summers Knight. She tried to get him to offer her 'his firstborn' while pretending he had not conceived her yet. So she offered him some tail as a distraction.
    I'm unsure on that one, it works just fine if you read it straight.

Maeve may have been Winter Lady, but...

Hmm, Mab has intellectus without any real restrictions and would have known if she cared, but does that apply to the Lady mantles?

azith28 wrote: »
    [

I totally forgot that

(Grave Peril Spoilers)

Grave Peril

I'm unsure on that one, it works just fine if you read it straight.

Maeve may have been Winter Lady, but...

Hmm, Mab has intellectus without any real restrictions and would have known if she cared, but does that apply to the Lady mantles?
    I have no reason to doubt it at all. It completely fits with the Farie's theme of misdirection, looking multiple steps ahead... and at the time Mab was trying to get Harry to be the WK, so Maeve was obviously trying to get ahead of the game by having something to use against Harry after that happen. Had Harry been the kind of person to think getting a farie pregnant with a child he would never meet was something he would trade for information, it would have been much harder for him to resist blackmail if Maeave actually revealed she basically owned the child of Him and Susan. There are way too many reasons for it to work. We don't know exactly when Maeve was 'turned' but it makes even more sense if she already was working for the others at this point since the others are definately looking to subvert Harry.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Did we ever learn...(Grave Peril).
    , What the dagger was that Lea got in exchange for Amorachius?

I am in the business of saving lives.

Uhhh, I want to say that there was some payoff to that in Turn Coat but I'll let you know when I get there

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited October 2018
    Whole series spoilers
    Nothing beyond it was the source of the corruption in Lea and Maeve

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited October 2018

Yes. (Changes or Cold Days, I think? Possibly later)
    It was a trap, possibly a vector for Nemesis. made her turn against Mab.

Mab was not amused, but Lea is valuable enough to keep around, so she stuck her in Winter's source until the raw power washed whatever it was away (over the course of... a year, at least? Not sure)

Also probably helps that giving her the dagger was a clear violation of the accords in terms of not just erasing Lea.

Polaritie on
    whole series
    Yeah, I think the most interesting thing about that is the possible implication of Mavra being with the Nemesis

KGMvDLc.jpg?1