As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    That blue color scheme is from the endless waltz movie, they did a p-Bandai release of it for lots of money

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    That blue color scheme is from the endless waltz movie, they did a p-Bandai release of it for lots of money

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.............................

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Athenor wrote: »
    The store had a MG HeavyArms EW in... and it finally hit me, what was bugging me about that model. It's the red and yellow! The box had a picture of HeavyArms in a blue, which I found I liked WAY more. But I don't know if that kit comes with that blue armor or not. I doubt it.
    Wait, was the kit box for this guy?
    j6skt27haeo8.jpg
    So, in Endless Waltz the only version of Heavyarms that appears is called the Heavyarms Custom, and yes, it is blue. However, the EW versions of the 5 Gundams from Wing were based on flashier variation concepts Katoki had produced for the original series (see above), and at some point they began making models & toys of those but still using the EW branding. So what you want is to look for one with the "Custom" name. Unfortunately, it looks like the MG 1/100 version (below, left) was released as a P-Bandai kit, which are limited production/increased cost or something? But there was a 'high grade' 1/100 scale kit (below, right) for the Custom.
    vshay2lnqvip.jpg4qb70pc6buyj.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    IIRC P-Bandai kits aren't actually that much more than regular Bandai HG and MG releases. However, Bandai doesn't officially release them outside of Japan. So your only options are to pay a middle man service, which isn't cheap and is relatively complicated, or you can buy from an online seller in your home country who went through the same process and needs to have some kind of profit margin on the kit. So you see P-Bandai kits available from local non Japanese sellers at like 200% of the cost of their regular mass retail release equivalents.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.............................
    Sorry-not-sorry that I have this in my backlog. <_<

And actually, you shouldn't feel bad either. I think the standard MG Heavyarms is actually gorgeous and better produced in general. Save the quad-gatlings, you can get most of the way to making the EW version just by repainting it (I'm not even sure if the EW version is slightly more lithe or just uses the MG Heavyarms kit as a base, but it probably does).

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Heh. I dunno. I'm probably just being overly picky.

Like now! Trying to get more filing tips from my local builders club (and posts here), I picked up a larger file with multiple faces. This sucker is removing material way faster than I was expecting, and if I am not careful it scuffs up the whole surface. I need to get better at gloss/shining it. Again, the perfectionist in me is whispering in my ear AND preventing me from trying more advanced techniques.

mC2qY86h.jpg

Still, it's coming together. Without the limbs it is hard to compare size, but the detail is definitely higher as is to be expected.

Vo8PGybh.jpg

GSnq3GKh.jpg

Edit: Oh, and I'm not 100% sold on using my gray fine marker on the white/gray pieces on this model. It's just a little too subtle, where I wonder what it would look like bolder...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So hey, he's not much to look at yet, but I figure I should share at least once. Still a work in progress, and it probably will be for a long time, but... Here's my Barbatos 1/100! This is the 6th Form kit with a lot of additions (and subtractions...)

zdAK8Jyl.jpg

Yeah! Wrench Mace and Graze Ritter shoulders! I... hate it! This is essentially the "full armour" of the Barbatos Gundam, and I don't think it's a good look. This Gundam is all about curves, and there's too many straight lines in this iteration. Cool thing with this kit is that it includes a lot of option parts, with this box plus a couple borrowed components from the rest of the IBO line, you can create every form of the Barbatos seen in Season 1. Here he is with the Reactive Armour from the space arc, for extra chunk

3CCBK3fl.jpg

But the real reason I got this is that I botched my attempt at painting the basic Barbatos. It was my first attempt at airbrushing and it suuuuucked. So this is a do over! And with just 2 parts from that original kit (the blue elbow pieces) you can get back to it with the leftovers from the 6th Form box. For whatever crazy reason, the blue parts were trimmed from the A runner for the 6th Form, and while the chest piece made it on to a new runner, the elbows did not.

The other big reason I got this one, is it includes a weapon the original release did not...

kny7sizl.jpg

THE MACE!!! AAAA!

The parts for the shield on the left arm are from the Graze 1/100. With no shoulders, this is the First Form from the start of the series!

Incidentally, the 1/100 Graze just so happens to include spare polycaps to create a second set of Barbatos feet. Like the optional ones included in the 6th Form box. Weird, that. :tell_me_more:

Anyway, this kit is great even if I've gotta take and add a lot to get the look I actually want. I think I might stick with that first form shield arm, it looks nice. Gonna be doing seamlines removal on the shoulder, trying to salvage the katana from that first botched paint job, painting the whole inner frame to look like the hi res version and candy coating all the colour parts. Not sure about the white yet, might try a pearl coat?

E7TWQVSl.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    That's no surprise to me. They did the same thing with the Master Grade.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Is there a trick to getting HG IBO frames to stay together at the waist beyond just wrapping the ball joint in something? I feel like my Barbatos and my Astaroth both have the same problem.

8aVThp6.png
    I haven't had any issues with my HG Barbatos, but in general if I have a loose ball joint (or any other friction joint), applying a coat of clear nail polish and letting it set for a couple of hours generally does the trick.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, that’s the old TF trick, but does it work when soft PC runner sockets are involved?

Oh, wait, the IBO waists have soft balls. Same question, though.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    How hard is it to get hold of P-Bandai? Cause I need that Tallgeese II.

edited October 2018
    Just follow a good re-seller on this side of the Pacific. It's not typically cheap, but if you're actually looking for something it's not too bad. I've gotten two or three P-Bandai releases through Tatsu Hobby, but have seen a number of other prominent sites mentioned over the years. I'm sure others here will have recommendations to add.

ArcticLancer on
    Just follow a good re-seller on this side of the Pacific. It's not typically cheap, but if you're actually looking for something it's not too bad. I've gotten two or three P-Bandai releases through Tatsu Hobby, but have seen a number of other prominent sites mentioned over the years. I'm sure others here will have recommendations to add.

Damn. All the Zoids prices on there are reasonable, but out of stock. Sadface.

To each their own, but I definitely support local when it's not a fringe/chase item like P-Bandai.

143999 wrote: »
    Yeah, that’s the old TF trick, but does it work when soft PC runner sockets are involved?

Oh, wait, the IBO waists have soft balls. Same question, though.

Yes. You're adding thickness to the part. It doesn't matter if the polish fails once the joint is assembled, because it will still add thickness and thus increase the friction. I've done this numerous times on polycap joints like the ball at the waist.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

You could always sign up for a shipping service. I use ZenMarket and have had no issues getting my stuff.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    To each their own, but I definitely support local when it's not a fringe/chase item like P-Bandai.

If you’re lucky like me and have a rad toy/gunpla store locally they can almost certainly preorder one for you too

If you’re lucky like me and have a rad toy/gunpla store locally they can almost certainly preorder one for you too

Unfortunately, I live on the Canadian East Coast, so not so much. But I envy your situation, yes. ;D

edited October 2018
    Feetsies!

Or.. one, in this case.

Unfortunately, this is definitely proving that my filing technique is wrong, or needs to be adjusted. There are some EXTREMELY fine panel lines on these models, and the file is just grinding them smooth if I'm not careful. I think it's because my file is semi-rigid, so it is bending around the piece as I'm filing. I need something smaller, more precise.

But it's not like I'd ever notice at a distance.

Also that super small zoid core I talked about before! There's a fairly large air bubble in it, but oh well.

UhXELXgh.jpg

Athenor on
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

Finding them isn't necessarily hard, there's even P-Bandai kits on Amazon. It's that they are priced higher from domestic resellers because Bandai doesn't distribute them outside of Japan. So anyone selling it outside of Japan had to pay retail + middle man fees.

NSDFRand on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I use Gentei Kits to buy my P-Bandai stuff, they've been reliable

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I saw a really cool a picture of a Master Grade Buster Gundam from Seed and now I've started looking at both Seed kits and Seed MSIA. I have a couple Seed MSIA and they were being made around the end of the life of the MSIA line so they are really good quality, but I previously stuck with primarily UC and Build Fighters kits with few exceptions (MG Heavy Arms and HG Lupus Rex and soon an RG Talgeese). I'm really liking the look of the Duel Gundam Assault Shroud kit and that may be my next Master Grade after I build the two RGs (GP01 and Talgeese) I'm waiting on.

Seed has some really nice designs throughout the series.

I'm also a big fan of the Assault Shroud, the regular Duel looks nice but a little plain, the asymmetry of the Assault Shroud fixes that problem.

I've almost pulled the trigger a number of times on it because it looks great even just out of the box.

4m99k1q9qkq9.png

The Duel Gundam is basically just the Strike Gundam. The MG Duel Gundam Assault Shroud is one of my favorite kits, because it's effectively a full armor version of the Strike.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Not really a gunpla but I found a channel doing well expensive models
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jSZgd1J5GE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zx23J9afLI
    It's a 1k+ model

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Hopefully this works

Love me a mecha beetle

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Good usage of the second Death Star.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ahaha I did not recognize it, damn

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Not really a gunpla but I found a channel doing well expensive models
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jSZgd1J5GE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zx23J9afLI
    It's a 1k+ model

What happened to my morning? Where am I?!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Making Progress?

Making progress! Sadly, one of the fins of a missile snapped off, and the rear fins just... disappeared on me, but essentially the core model is done! All that's left are the wing-mounted weapons. The leg bomb units can be swapped out for the base model's pieces, but.. ain't nobody got time for that.

XLms9Zyh.jpg

R3YIuEMh.jpg

riB8Py8h.jpg

szC31cnh.jpg

Watching The Good Place while building is a nice flow. This show is insanely good. :) I'm halfway through Season 1.

[spoilers]Yes, I know about the big twist at the end of S1. Wish I didn't, but I think at this point I likely could've figured out that something was wrong.[/spoiler]

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I’m getting the urge to branch out from purely mecha kits into other types of modeling. The World War Toon tanks and some very pretty automata kits are calling my name...

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I’m getting the urge to branch out from purely mecha kits into other types of modeling. The World War Toon tanks and some very pretty automata kits are calling my name...

If I ever branched out from mecha I would probably go for for some Maschinen Krieger

Dang pricey though.

I just do kits that interest me it's part of the reason i got into 40k.
    I found those videos as i was looking for the tayima 1/20 F1 cars they did an age ago. I ran into a lot of half completed questionable kits. So i did a general search and i found that channel and him doing the 1/8 car and then I found the price for it

Inquisitor wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

If I ever branched out from mecha I would probably go for for some Maschinen Krieger

Dang pricey though.

A lot of them are garage kits when i get home i will give a link/instructions to build one of them it's ping pong balls a field kitchen and a bell helicopter model

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    That's what they started off as, but there are companies that make dedicated kits now.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Who makes the best spray paints for gunpla? I got a kit for my birthday (an Endless Waltz Altron) and wanted to try laying down the base colors with spray paints.

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    riB8Py8h.jpg
    Athenor, where was the time a couple of pages ago when you were a bit afraid to start panel lining, and now look at the glorious panel lining here!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
    Hehe. Thanks. I still am not sure if the gray is the color I like, but... yeah, it comes out well when it's visible. I'm starting to debate painting. I'm also going through a LOT of cheap q-tips.

That said? Another one down!

gDuwoohh.jpg

MaBUJGUh.jpg

As I said before, the other model was the only one I panel lined of my original zoids. I used a Sakura marker, and it was probably 10 years ago now. I didn't wipe off the excess, and I filled in voids and a few other choices. Over time, it has gotten extremely coated in dust, but I don't know if I can wash it due to the stickers.

On the new guy... He needs a TON of paint, and probably some reinforcing as he has a lot of weight on his center torso ball joint. But I really like how he turned out, compared to the original wind-up model. I need to get him on a stand though. He needs to fly and lay down the bombs.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Who makes the best spray paints for gunpla? I got a kit for my birthday (an Endless Waltz Altron) and wanted to try laying down the base colors with spray paints.

I don't know about Gunpla specifically, but Tamiya spray paints and acrylics are amaaaaaazing for plastics in general

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786