Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I need a new bedroom TV. Help me shop around!

MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
So, I received a 20" Magnavox flatscreen CRT for Christmas a few years ago. While it's great for say, watching TV, I can't play many games on it. Which is a shame, really, because I have everything from a SNES to a 360 hooked up to this thing through an array of scary wires.

The problem lies in that particular model of television: apparently, the picture cuts out in the left and bottom by about an inch. The best example I could give would be when I was playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance a few days ago: I couldn't play the game after I realized all the instructions on how to upgrade my superheroes were at the bottom of the screen. All the buttons I needed to press and the display information on what each powerup did and what slots I needed to put them in were at the bottom as well. I was left with no way to continue playing without hooking the 360 up to another TV. The picture cutting out is fine for some games--like Halo and other FPSs--but for others that have text at the bottom, I may as well be guessing as to what to do.

So, I have some Christmas money, and may be looking into getting another television for my bedroom. 20" is a fine size for the entertainment center I have in here: I could maybe squeeze a 24" in if I really wanted to. I have about $200 to spend, maybe more if I can find someone to take the TV off of my hands. Like I said, a good TV, but not for gaming. Questions I have include:

1) Should I get another CRT, or enter into the fray of LCD screens?

2) How much are LCD screens that size, and how much do they run?

3) What's the best brand of LCD screen for that particular size, and what sort of inputs would I be getting?

4) If I were to get another CRT TV, how long would it last me? I heard something about needing a cable box sometime in 2009 because everything's switching to satellite. I don't know a lot about it, but it's a legitimate issue if it means this TV could be obsolete for TV watching in a few years.

Any help, insight or otherwise, would be appreciated.

Edit: Thanks for moving this, I had forgotten about the technology subforum.

sig.gif
MHYoshimitzu on

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    $200 is about the going rate for 22" LCD monitors, so you're going to be hard-pressed to find an LCD TV for that price. An HD-ready LCD TV might run you $250-300, but even then it's hard to recommend considering 32" full-on HDTVs are available at $500-600 - a whole lot more TV for your buck.

I haven't heard about everything switching to satellite. There is going to be a switch from analog signals to digital for over-the-air broadcasts, but if your TV (be it CRT or LCD) can accept digital signals then you'll be fine. If you get your TV from cable or satellite rather than over the air, you'll be fine. If not, you'll need a converter box to translate the digital over the air signals to analog ones which your TV will accept. Go here to apply for 1-2 $40 coupons towards the purchase of said converter boxes:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx

BubbaT on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    At that price range, I would consider browsing craigslist and buying what you can afford. Probably a CRT, would be best.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You can pick up a nice 22in LCD TV for around $250 to $300. Keep and eye out on Slickdeals.net and techbargains.com for good deals. I got my last laptop for about half off from a deal I saw on Slick Deals.

That_Guy on
    camo_sig.png