As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cities: Skylines 2 Now Available

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Oh and pause the game when you're doing your first little bit of building so you don't get eaten up by upkeep before you can finish building everything.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    More Tips! You can use regular paved roads, make sure to build a coal power plant, sewer output downriver of town, and a dump. Then make a few intersections and put in your residential and commercial and a water tower, build your industrial out by the coal plant, hook up the minimum amount of water pipes and power lines. If you have a small lake you can run the sewer output there too, and make a cesspit.

If you go negative 25k or 50k (Cant remember) you'll get a bail out of like 50k on top of the dept pay off.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Loans are a nice boost, too, once you have enough income to support the payments. They can pay for themselves rather quickly if you plan it right.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I've never actually built Coal Power Plants. I always go Wind Power straight away. More expensive, but I like to keep my cities as green as I can manage in this game about solving constant gridlock.

Speaking of which...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WWU8OuIAs

WotanAnubis on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2017
    so, quick question:

l72k84fbjg7x.jpg

Now that my city is around 100k, and I have a bunch of farming going on... my waste water has gotten a little out of hand as you can see.

That is my only "out" so I would like to keep using it as opposed to making a poop lake somewhere.

Oh, and the final piece; the majority of that flooding is in a square I do not own, but whenever it rains it crosses the border and floods my tunnels.

Is there any advice on how to solve for this aside from wasting my last purchasable square on shaping the land downriver?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    so, quick question:

l72k84fbjg7x.jpg

Now that my city is around 100k, and I have a bunch of farming going on... my waste water has gotten a little out of hand as you can see.

That is my only "out" so I would like to keep using it as opposed to making a poop lake somewhere.

Oh, and the final piece; the majority of that flooding is in a square I do not own, but whenever it rains it crosses the border and floods my tunnels.

Is there any advice on how to solve for this aside from wasting my last purchasable square on shaping the land downriver?

Honestly some of my favorite workshop items are stuff that manages sewage and trash. There are lots of awesome things like a multi piece sewage treatment plant that looks awesome and takes care of a ton of waste without spewing out discolored water. Or lots of different types of recycling centers, incinerators and other various things.

Also unlock 25 squares mod. That is my personal preference though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Every time one of these new trailers comes out, I'm like, I should really get back to Cities Skylines. And I usually do. For a while. But I haven't quite yet managed the trick of making a functional city that I actually like. Perhaps because I'm just averse to all that concrete and asphalt everywhere and yet Cities Skylines more or less demands constant growth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBQS-WjyfUk

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I got back into this over the weekend. Really excited for Park Life.

Blimps in the last expansion are hilarious and I enjoy forcing my people to have no other means to travel to what I now call PARTY ISLAND. The only leisure location in my city.

So many blimps from miles around!

Park Life is out now, so that's neat.

If Stellaris' Distant Stars hadn't just come out, I'd probably give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xci7WDuLw8Q

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Park Life is a really big update

edited October 2018
    Cities Skylines with that '80s synth DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Z6OQ8kJ5A

Also some stuff about building up your industrial zones exactly as you like them instead of just zoning an industrial area and letting the computer do the rest.

WotanAnubis on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Thank God.

I hope the farming stuff is legit.

Finally, my industrial area can look exactly the way I want it to before the entire thing catches fire and burns down for the 3rd time in a year.

Eh, one fire station per industrial area seems to work out well enough for me.

Not with a fire spreading mod. The fire truck driving ai is...not smart.

I finally gave up when there were 20+ trucks stuck behind one on an otherwise empty 6-lane road.

Fractal your roads.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dis that Cock Disasters dlc ever get a release date?

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Dis that Cock Disasters dlc ever get a release date?

Uh.....what?

edited October 2018
    how do you even post on mobile, hell if I know

Captain Inertia on
    If you mean the Natural Disasters DLC... somehow... that one came out in 2016.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    That's one hell of an auto-correct.

@Enc knows all about it

Cock Disasters.

Ahahah, I love that this got reposted in this thread. :)

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    how do you even post on mobile, hell if I know

Look at the bright side, it was hilarious. Usually my spelling mistakes just make me look like an idiot.

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    What the...Did Enc make that based on Captain Inertia's typo, or was it pre-existing? Both possibilities amaze me.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    What the...Did Enc make that based on Captain Inertia's typo, or was it pre-existing? Both possibilities amaze me.
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Knob's Blue Bonks
    1. !Draw Bucketman
    xcp03bivmhu0.png
    2. Slacker71
    Hey Chuckie, lets try that with your hair!

3. !Draw JebusUD
    118waks7jnw2.png

4. Bendery It Like Beckham
    "Charles, this isn't what the therapist meant by 'reciprocating intimacy'."

5. !Draw Veldrin
    wwrwyc4k7fa9.png

6. That Dave Fella
    'The chances of this causing an intergalactic incident is 34.666%, repeating of course"

7. !Draw The Hanged Man
    wf9d9z5wzmq7.jpg

8. Rhylith
    Abolish SPACE!

9. !Draw Dr. Flamingo
    jekwfmrb26hy.png

10. Poorochondriac
    As Earthen xenophobia moves into its endgame, those lucky enough to remember the touch of sunlight wonder - is this worth it?

11. !Draw Goose!
    nbv73xa3idqc.png

12. Rainfall
    The sun never sets on the Skeleton Empire.

13. !Draw Knob
    armoubcfowcc.png

14. Elaro
    In the hall of the Skeleton King, bone boner boning is boned.

15. !Draw Mr Fuzzbutt
    3f1lwqgsrdds.png

16. JayKaos
    King Jack Bone's hand-on stimulus package

17. Draw Ph blake
    3hctegzrwzqy.png

18. Crimson King
    The heavens themselves were appalled by what came to be known as the Tragedy of Boner Mountain.

19. Draw PwnanObrien
    t2oh9jqzli9j.jpg

20. LuvTheMonkey
    The Cities: Skylines community was quite confused by the announcement of the new "Cock Disasters" DLC.

21. Draw Enc
    epyc-enc-art-gif-2018.gif

22. Weaver
    "Spiking the office coffee with meth and rhino horn may not have been the best way to get through this last dev sprint."

23. !Draw See317
    09n1swckdrzz.jpg

24. Sarukun
    Behold! Behold and despair, mortals, the terrible wrath of Mr. Coffee! Your Scrum schedule shall suffer in the wake of his ruinous anger, and your milestones shall be as virgin seed upon a barren, parched wasteland bereft of sleep and of assured quality!

- Book of Iterations, 3:16

25. !Draw Kwoaru
    8zza6adf886k.png

26. Romanian My Escutcheon
    The best part of waking up is BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.

27. !Draw Miscellaneousinsanity
    x31bl7s26g1u.png

28. Pineldorf
    George Costanza blood drives historic on the Fury Road.

29. !Draw Fightinfilipino
    39b9jx4fkvzx.png

30. Nirya
    “Mad Max: Beyond Costanza-Dome”

31. !Draw Raijin Quickfoot
    7916zgrz4cre.jpg

32. Munkus Beaver
    These wastelands........are making me THIRSTY!!!

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Yup, I'm amazed.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    what just happened

J3qcnBP.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I was blessed to take part in Enc's creation of that image.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    what just happened

Thats the blue team responses to the 2018 "Eat Poop You Cat (EPYC)" forum game in SE++.

It's essentially telephone, but with each alternating person doing a caption or some form of art. I was honored to be given a really fun prompt by @LuvTheMonkey this year and made a little gif for it.

Geez. From announcement to release in little over a week. That was fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HIi0B5Pbww

Looks like Industries is much like Park Life except with industries instead of parks. Also postal services and toll roads, because why not.

I think I'd like this expansion if I didn't already have a bunch of other games to play right now.

I was playing it all last night. I'm really digging the new industry mechanics. Plopping new buildings and figuring out optimal placement has been fun. The supply chain dynamics are pretty cool and well laid out. It was easy to tell how much raw material I was producing, the goods it was going into producing and how it's being used throughout the zone. I have only just gotten started but already am quite happy with the results.

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    One of the things I felt Cities XL did well was the worker requirements for certain industries being tied to different classes of workers. This is already in skylines with the education system, however XL had you place residential areas based on their skill level (i.e. low income unskilled workers, med. income skilled workers, high income executives and elites).

It allowed you to easily have your unskilled workers near the areas that needed them without having to purposefully limit the availability of education to a suburb.

I've been building a new city for the last few nights. As usual it's a mess of grids but I'm really digging the design.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Nice, nice. Keeping your mind control towers on little islands so the populace can't get to them.

steam_sig.png
    Grids ain't bad.

People say they don't work in this game but they do, quite well actually.

You just need to fractal the roads.

edited November 2018
    Straight grids don't work. My last city is tried just a straight grid pattern. I absolutely agree that going fractal is the way to expand smoothly. My current city is based around a 3x3 superblock. The superblock is surrounded on all sides by a highway system connected with Timbo's turbine interchange, my personal favorite. Each block is 4 modified blocks by 1 modified block. When I'm spacing out my modified blocks, I always leave 2 squares of wiggle room on either side. That way you can eventually upgrade roads on both sides and you won't lose any build area. It also helps compensate for terrain deviations. My public transit system needs to be upgraded but I'd consider 66% traffic flow to be pretty darn good. There are a few areas around town that need some attention but traffic flows remarkably well for 140k people packed into such a small area.
    r8ob98nt07sa.jpg
    222m5ms2vqzu.jpg
    0mya0oq34k37.jpg
    zmlqnpcdubv6.jpg

That_Guy on