As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFBE] Old Thread.

Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
edited January 2019 in Games and Technology
y5g9crza5vp7.png

What is Final Fantasy Brave Exvius?
A mobile game for iOS and Android, produced in collaboration between Square Enix (Final Fantasy et al) and Gumi/Alim (responsible for Brave Frontier). The game’s story is based around a young knight named Rain and his friend and stepbrother Lasswell, who one day encounter a strange sight: a young girl trapped in a crystal. Following her words, they encounter the power of “Visions,” or the ability to summon warriors from other places and times to assist in battle.

Note to new or returning players
You can now make 7 star units with dupe 5 stars, and it means that you can spend even more resources failing to get OP units! Whooo!

I've played Brave Frontier and liked/hated it. How does this compare?
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is an expanded spin on Brave Frontier, with whom it shares some similarities. It's another gacha game, meaning you will earn in-game currency, coming in the form of Friend Points and Lapis, to summon new units on a seemingly unfair spreadsheet of hidden factors that emerge in the form of unique characters, and many familiar to the world of Final Fantasy. This game, though, adds the usual Final Fantasy elements of equipment and materia, giving a surprising depth to the gameplay as units can be mixed and matched with different abilities and stats boosted or modified.Each unit can equip up to 6 types of equipment and 4 materia, but each unit also has limitations and advantages to what they can equip and use.

You mentioned Final Fantasy characters? I love Final Fantasy!
FFBE has a wide variety of characters from Final Fantasy, with its own beefy roster of unique names original to FFBE. Characters from Final Fantasy 1 all the way to 15 and even outliers such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Type-0 are represented. We have pretty much all major FFs represented at this point. Yay!

The roster of characters in game is a mishmash of various Final Fantasy games and units exclusive to FFBE, although most people care about the FF characters. As previously mentioned, characters are added to the gacha, usually alongside special events that tie into the game they're from (unless it's just more FFBE exclusives). Unlike other games of this type, the rarity isn't just in the higher rank of the unit, but also the characters themselves.

Further, different units are good at different things. Some are chainers, some straight damage or support, healers, and so forth. Good units often do a useful mix of those abilities.

Here's a link to a site that will update regularly as the global version gets more characters, and ranks the units by various categories to back up the reasoning for their position in the tier list. Unit Rankings

I'm new, and got a bunch of these characters out of my first 11-pull. Are any of these good? I love Shadow/Sabin/Penelo!

Unfortunately, your Shadow/Sabin/Penelo are some of the worst characters in the game. Yes, they are beloved Final Fantasy characters, but that doesn't exclude them from being King of the Trash Heap. Someone has to be, right? A lot of early characters are mainline Final Fantasy units, but by nature of power creep, they’ve been long overshadowed by new units. Different units are powerful or weak in different ways, and just because a unit is popular in their original Final Fantasy series doesn’t mean they will be useful in FFBE.

However, FFBE is unique in that many older units are perfectly viable. Good team composition and strategy can make mid-tier units very good, and sometimes spending a bit of time thinking through a tough fight can result in eeking out a well-deserved win. Many players are F2P (they spend no money) and have a good roster of units, or are otherwise able to tackle some of the hardest content in the game.

If you're just starting out and want to know who to look for, note that as we are 18 months into the game, the hardest content tends to require some fancy gear and "rainbow" base units. If you see a rainbow crystal, rejoice, for it will grant a 5* base unit, which range from useful to very powerful and can easily secure a spot on your team! Now, get 2 of them!

The state of the game:
Pull for 5 star units, as they have the best future, and most, when they get to 7 stars, will carry your team.

Helpful Links:

ExviusWiki: Best source for Global version information, with maps for exploration dungeons, quest guides, and unit details.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Reddit: The reddit community for FFBE, containing info and updates for both the Japan and Global versions. Check here if you want to know what kind of stuff we'll get 5-6 months in advance since Japan gets it first. Also contains useful player-submitted guides, and has a Wiki which is up to date with the current state of Japan's game, so you can look ahead at unit enhancements and trust masteries, that sort of thing.

Friend ID List!:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HfEIPxz_tV42C8dhfSiuVsWJ_f2YQhXiNg5BwiuJCik/edit?usp=sharing

To find your friend ID in the game, tap Home in the upper right corner (on most screens), then the Menu icon in the upper right, then Player Info on the left. Your ID should look like this in your little character card: 123,456,789. This is also where you change your greeting, and rename your character if you like. Adding friends is the only way to use your "guest character" limit break in combat, and only your current party's Leader is shared to friends. Remember to set a Companion Party from the Options in the Main Menu! This way, you will always have a party set up with a specific character that will be shared to your friends, and you should never ever edit that party except to change the Leader if you want to change who you share.

aqnn3q0cw6aq.png

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
Trajan45 on

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Taking suggestions for title's and updates to the OP.

edited October 2018
    Halloween Event Video:

Event & New Units
    An Eerie Invitation

Halloween KM Event (10/19 1:00 - 11/4 0:59 PDT)

New event units and old ones will be Bonus units!

Lilith 5★-7★ Job : Succubus Image
    Magic tank
    On demand AOE cover for phys/mag like Basch
    Can chain with Lucius and Nyx (Kingsglaive)
    Multi-hit counter

Lucius 5★-7★ Job : Incubus Image
    Physical DW attacker
    Dark/Fire element with self imbue
    Octoslash and Aureole Ray chaining family
    Also chains with Lilith and Nyx (Kingsglaive)
    Multi-hit counter

Both these new Halloween units has multi-hit counters (counter chaining!?) and finally more chainers for Nyx/Yun!

There will be a Step-Up banner for the new Halloween units! 5-Step 20k limited to 3 per player.

Trajan45 on
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I am very interested in Lilith, she would fit well in my team as it stands. I'm surprised we're getting the VP collaborators now. Didn't JP get it a bit after they got the SoM raid with 7* Randi?

Starting to get worried about the status of mah boi.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

My brain wants the title to say something like "This is Halloween" or something similar because I love me some Halloween also love Nightmare Before Christmas. Not sure how to phrase it though.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Just a reminder to update your info on the friend list if you haven't:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HfEIPxz_tV42C8dhfSiuVsWJ_f2YQhXiNg5BwiuJCik/edit?usp=sharing

I moved anyone who listed 3,4, or 5* units to the "inactive" tab. So if you haven't updated in a while and don't see yourself in the list, you might have been moved there. I also moved people who listed 7* units up to the top. Hopefully that will help new people or people trying to fill out their lists to find the best characters.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I would totally take out my wallet for a Nightmare Before Christmas banner tbh.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Man all was going well on the bonus stage until that last fight where he one shot everyone on my team but my tanks. I'm assuming that I need a cover all tank? Does Basch's physical cover tank it?

urahonky on
    Cruor wrote: »
    I am very interested in Lilith, she would fit well in my team as it stands. I'm surprised we're getting the VP collaborators now. Didn't JP get it a bit after they got the SoM raid with 7* Randi?

If they follow JP, the VP will be our next Raid, then SOM is the Raid after that. So we would be looking at mid or late November for Randi.

I could probably use Lilith, but I just spent a ton of resources getting Merc Ramza up to speed. We'll have to see how the banners shake out. If they do a step like Hyoh's with a guaranteed 4* like Pirate Jake, I may have to go a round lol. Otherwise, it's a bit confusing, are they going to have 3 5*'s, 2 4*'s, and some 3*'s on 1 banner?

• JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular

Title petition: These Halloween units are an unique Ex-FEAR-ience.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    urahonky wrote: »
    Man all was going well on the bonus stage until that last fight where he one shot everyone on my team but my tanks. I'm assuming that I need a cover all tank? Does Basch's physical cover tank it?

If you're not otk'ing it, make sure all have a high atk break, single target the tentacles down, and yeah AoE phys and barwaterga or similar. Try to at least kill the last one from 50% +

BlehBlehAmiga on
    ffbe ign: Kas
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I honestly didn't think we'd be getting the VP collab. That sets a very good precedent for us getting the Xenogears collab and that's the big one. If they follow JPs system for it, we'll get a step up with a guaranteed unit at the end and a ticket for each 5k pull, 5 of which will allow you to choose the Xeno unit you want. Essentially you're guaranteed a 7* Xeno unit if you have 36k lapis or thereabouts, assuming you have zero luck in the step ups (there are two Xeno UoC tickets in that banner's raid).

hmmm sucks that our 2nd UoC of the month is going to be another 150K MK reward. On the plus side, like the FF15 event, seems we'll be able to use older units for bonus.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I honestly didn't think we'd be getting the VP collab. That sets a very good precedent for us getting the Xenogears collab and that's the big one. If they follow JPs system for it, we'll get a step up with a guaranteed unit at the end and a ticket for each 5k pull, 5 of which will allow you to choose the Xeno unit you want. Essentially you're guaranteed a 7* Xeno unit if you have 36k lapis or thereabouts, assuming you have zero luck in the step ups (there are two Xeno UoC tickets in that banner's raid).

Yeah, I'm gonna save for Xenogears. Valkyrie Profile was good and all, but not my favorite.

Though I'll also be saving for Chinese New year because I need me some 7* Ang and Good Boy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I missed last years end of year events so I have no bonus units for MK stuff. We'll see what all pulls happen. I've got some tickets saved up for pulls. Tempted to run a lap but I dunno at the moment.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Definitely worth it to get a few Pirate Jakes, his ring is still basically BiS for most tanks.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular

I have no doubt that SoM collab will be back at some point, I'm just curious what form it will take. SoM2 was never officially released outside of Japan, so I doubt they'd give us the SoM2 units. Randi is already well worth it, and Flammie should be there, too. I wonder if they'll come up with some GL exclusive SoM units to take the place of the SoM2 ones. A 5* Thanatos would be pretty cool.

Zomro wrote: »

I have no doubt that SoM collab will be back at some point, I'm just curious what form it will take. SoM2 was never officially released outside of Japan, so I doubt they'd give us the SoM2 units. Randi is already well worth it, and Flammie should be there, too. I wonder if they'll come up with some GL exclusive SoM units to take the place of the SoM2 ones. A 5* Thanatos would be pretty cool.

They could make Dyluck and Thanatos the 5* bases. Or they could do Jema as a 5* base.

I was thinking how they could buff Randi's TMR ability to make it more enticing. Maybe make his LB unlock T-cast as well as giving him a 300% ATK boost would do it.

Speculation time, iNichol does not have a lot of skills. I wonder what they are going to enhance? My biggest hope is that upgrade his bread and butter, Illusion - Redirect for more turns in effect and DM to something like 50%. I also wouldn't mind a passive upgrade for minimum 20% physical/magic evade.

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    My best magic tank is still Mystea, and I have no 7* tanks (although I could UoC a second M. Ramza), so Lilith is looking very tempting. I don't think I'll be able to justify going through the full step up banner after just doing that to get a second Malphasie, but I have over 100 tickets saved up, so I may go nuts with those.

• TipharesTiphares Registered User regular
    Depending on how they do the banners, I may use up some tickets. I don't NEED any of the units, but a 7* Succubus AOE cover tank would be welcomed. Also, more P. Jake for his ring would be great. At a minimum, I will go for another one of him and hope for a hail Mary GL Sakura.

edited October 2018
    I'd even be (somewhat) happy with just one Lilith. Even at just 6* she's got to be better than Mystea.

Cururu on
    I have one P. Jake, One I.Nichol, and 2 GL Sakura's. Last Halloween was super good to me(and I was in Iceland which was amazing!), I doubt this Halloween lives up to that one, but GL Sakura will definitely be my friend unit with her 7* then.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Speculation time, iNichol does not have a lot of skills. I wonder what they are going to enhance? My biggest hope is that upgrade his bread and butter, Illusion - Redirect for more turns in effect and DM to something like 50%. I also wouldn't mind a passive upgrade for minimum 20% physical/magic evade.

Yeah, my two big things are longer durations because two turn rotations don't cut it anymore, and an increase in his breaks, because 45% don't count it anymore.

If you're not otk'ing it, make sure all have a high atk break, single target the tentacles down, and yeah AoE phys and barwaterga or similar. Try to at least kill the last one from 50% +

Yeah I went in with a Tidus and Friend Tidus. I don't think I am going to OTK when all his attacks are immune haha. I'll have to play around with my team composition... Tornado Barbie is really good.

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    AoE reraise should give you another turn to kill the squid. Didn't have the DPS the OTK it. Or rather, I didn't put enough effort into building my team and researching the bosses. So I took an extra turn.

TeaSpoon wrote: »
    AoE reraise should give you another turn to kill the squid. Didn't have the DPS the OTK it. Or rather, I didn't put enough effort into building my team and researching the bosses. So I took an extra turn.

So I should bring Rikku? Hmm.

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Yeah, not so sure how useful that advise was for people without CG Fina. And I only brought her the second time, when I went back for a moogle. The first attempt, I didn't even bring a healer. I brought Ace for the instant esper. Who I didn't end up using because I accidentally OTK the second boss.

• lodgerlodger Humble Narrator Registered User regular
    Does Pure Summoner Rydia still rate as a summoner/mage? Right now, she's my go-to for Esper missions, and Tornado chain partner to my Barb. I have a dupe for whenever she goes 7*, but she doesn't seem to get much attention with Citra and Elko out here.

I had Rinoa and Wilhelm covering breaks. Rinoa did the arms eraser so the tentacles were hit, wilhelm did his big breaks on the main body. That kept me up thru most of the whirlpool / jump around hits. I didn't OTK either, took me a few turns and got all missions.

However, messed up on the second boss in the bonus and did not do fire lightning and missed the esper kill cuz i did a tornado from Rinoa and that pushed it down to zero when I wasn't expecting it but .. meh, I'm done with it.

76561197990097905.png
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

So I should bring Rikku? Hmm.
    I would not waste a slot on Rikku. Bring any healer or reraiser to keep your AOE physical cover tank alive for the 3rd boss and have your magic tank provoke to take all of the single target water magic hits. So, don't worry about ATK breaking, just keep reraising your AOE tank because Jump Around will squash them every turn. They will keep getting back up when it's over and be ready next round to AOE cover again.

If they do some interesting buffs on I. Nichol, like increasing the redirect duration, I'd be tempted to try to come up with a good tanking build for Queen and then run them together as kind of a substitute 7* tank solution. Queen could probably get some good tanking numbers, especially after her low HP self-buffs.

Might just be me, but I want my tanks to looks sort of like tanks. Unless Lilith is super OP, I'll probably pass on a 20K step up with 2 5*'s on it. I'm also falling into the Eggy camp of them needing 5*'s on the step ups to be banner units only for limited time units. Keeping hope alive that WKN will have a non-cooldown AoE Magic cover at 7*.

The rest will depend on what they do for the units and what they have in a way of pulling. 3 5* units on a single banner with no decent step up is a hard pass. I have 1 D.Rain, but unless they give him Def as Attack moves and counters, he's just a flavor unit. Draco Lasswell seems like he'll be an Emperor Shera type in that he'll work well with Hyoh, but I don't have any so I'd need 2. Same for GL Sakura.

If the schedule falls in line with JP,

After VP, we'll probably get another story event (Elephim), then MK event (FF7 with Tifa/Vincent), then raid (SOM collab likely), then story event (Sieghard), then MK (FF TYPE-0) with Kurasame and his Fryevia drooling STMR. After that it's hard to say, Yuraisha came out with a Tomb Raider collab, so we could see a new collab or who knows. We'll be into December, and they may do the last 2 weeks for Christmas stuff. They could move the Xenogears collab up before Christmas, but I hope they don't so I can see if WKN is worth it first lol.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Might just be me, but I want my tanks to looks sort of like tanks.

Hoard4Charlotte

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    So they mention that Lucius has AR frames, does Lilith? If so, I could see using her and 7* Viktor together and being able to completely forgo bringing traditional damage dealers for some content. If that's the case, then I'll be even more tempted to pull for Lilith. I'm sure she pairs well with D.Rain as well. I hope the levels of DEF/SPR TDH they give him are decent. Just the increase in base stats he'll get as a 7* are going to massively increase his ability to take hits, what with that silly 50% mitigation on his taunt.

edited October 2018
    After thinking about it a bit, I think all of the 7* Halloween units will give 200% MK bonus because they are limited and chances are low that people will have any or multiples of any to start with. For the FFXV event, it was a rather large selection of units and they are in the pool forever. So, assuming the same breakdown (and no new 4* or 3* Halloween units) it will be:

200% - 7* Lilith, Lucius, D. Rain, D. Lasswell, and GL Sakura
    100% - 6* Lilith, Lucius, D. Rain, D. Lasswell, and GL Sakura
    75% - I. Nichol and P. Jake
    50% - Blackcat Lid

Which should give me 625% bonus (including 7* friend). I will be switching my friend unit to 7* GL Sakura ASAP - hopefully after maintenance on Thurs. I'm so glad that I ran her TMR through IW and got MAG and MP on it. Triple cast is going to be expensive!

edit: Random thought on VP. Why is Angrim's STMR a Lightning 2h GS when his sprite CLEARLY shows him wielding a 2h GS that is on FIRE?!?!

Tiphares on
    hmm we still have another part of the User created characters as well. I wonder if they'll slide that into December or push SOM back another month?

omg, IW decided to not dick me over for the first time in over a dozen run through's. Holy Wand got the rare ability along with 10% SPR and 15%MP. I should go grab a lotto ticket.

• CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The Halloween stuff is of little interest for me. I'll try to get Illusionist Nichol I guess, but I'm not going to break the bank. The Valkyrie Profile collaboration is even less appealing, so I guess more hoarding!

Craigopogo on
    At this point do we even know if we'll get the SoM event? I see little reason for them to give it to us honestly.

I know that would suck for those folks wanting Randi, but I don't think SoM has any events or items tied to it like last time so I'm not sure why they'd give us another shot at it except 7* Randi.

This discussion has been closed.