As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Pride was a bust for me

Just not my scene at all

My toes still look cute at least

I'm sorry it wasn't your thing! I hope you weren't overly uncomfortable.

But your toes are pretty cute.

Thank you!

I was just as uncomfortable as I am at any other big gathering of people, which is to say, a lot

I’m just not a party person, and the solution to that issue is not, apparently, “just fill the party with queer people”

In fact it made me feel more uncomfortable because I had his sinking feeling of “ugh, I should be feeling like I fit in here, I should be able to let loose and have fun, but I’m not”

It was just a depressing day really

Unfortunately a lot of queer spaces can be by default pretty unwelcoming to those of us who don't deal well with lots of noise, or crowds, flashing lights etc. This can be especially the case for neurodivergent people, a lot of whom tend to be queer!

Where are the queer book clubs, tea parties, and baking groups?

There's a Hannah Gatsby bit about that.

Ah, I had a vague feeling what I was typing seemed familiar. I guess there's worse people to accidentally plagiarise than Hanna Gadsby!

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    https://m.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/witch-wife

I was reminded of this poem earlier today and I felt like it belonged here. Felt it in me skeleton bones I did

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

I was reminded of this poem earlier today and I felt like it belonged here. Felt it in me skeleton bones I did

Do you have some other kind of bones besides your skeleton?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    eyyyyyyyyyyyyo

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Do you have some other kind of bones besides your skeleton?

Does he have a million dollars?

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i miss this thread for a few days and there's SO MUCH TO RESPOND TO!
    Gundi wrote: »
    Utena is the grand dame of gay anime
    *pushes up glasses* preceded slightly by Rose of Versailles, which is mostly as gay.
    Grog wrote:
    I keep getting Boy Named Sue stuck in my head, so I've mentally rewritten it to be about a trans dude.
    i know a guy, actually... that's mostly his life story, yeah. he always loved the song for some reason. :)
    it's probably the driving synths
    it is known that driving synths are extremely gay

there's no hope for me, all the music i like is gay
    All emo music is gay I don't make the rules.

all the music i ever liked is gay

also re: yet another thread topic:
    as an lgbtq person with ASD, i can't really do bars or parties without an unreasonable amount of effort, so...
    i basically just hang at home with my partner, being quietly gay?

personal musings.
    i think the ASD stuff is a huge part of why i haven't wanted to transition.
    even if my body was more appropriate and the dysphoria went away,
    i pretty much still don't have the spoons to deal with social situations, being visibly trans, etc.
    surgery is OK but not what i'd ideally want, and i think ultimately i'd be fine if i just didn't have to deal with gender roles.
    what i would want to be is (even more) offensive to societal conceptions of sex and gender, but uh,
    i don't have the raw firepower to live that life anyway, and i'm not particularly charismatic enough to pull it off.

instead i've just been quietly dressing queerer as i get older and get better at social stuff.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I flip between bi and pan

Keep my enemies on their toes

I feel like this fits really well with your Lapis av/sig.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hey y'all, what's your favorite "gay bop?" Something like, say, Born This Way by Lady Gaga, or Single Ladies by Beyonce. Maybe I Wanna Dance With Somebody. You know what I'm talking about.

For me, Cher's Believe is probably right up near the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGRzz0oqgUE

Ugh I'm dying <3

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    That whole freakin' album

Hey y'all, what's your favorite "gay bop?" Something like, say, Born This Way by Lady Gaga, or Single Ladies by Beyonce. Maybe I Wanna Dance With Somebody. You know what I'm talking about.

@Usagi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    BEAR FORCE ONE YEEEAAAH~ :cool:

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hoo haa, hoohaa

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yep, video's still good.

sig.gif
    Oh, and while we're still on the subject of awesome gay music; here's two lesbians in a trench coat singing about how awesome their relationship is, while beating up a toxic jackass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpXcpiOdp4s

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I just had an incredibly gay quest resolution in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I'm happy as heck.

Spoilers for Battle of One Hundred Hands questline
    So I trained with the other champion, Roxana, and we became close (smooching and all) during the training but we knew we'd have to fight at the end of the tournament.
    Then this happened.
    https://youtu.be/-t0_GypOwp4

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I just had an incredibly gay quest resolution in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I'm happy as heck.

So I trained with the other champion, Roxana, and we became close (smooching and all) during the training but we knew we'd have to fight at the end of the tournament.
    Then this happened.

oh my god this is so good

Anzekay wrote: »

Then this happened.

It REALLY IS SO VERY GOOD

Then this happened.

I hope there's some m/m stuff with that level of awesome, it might be enough to make me voluntarily play a dude in an action game

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My understanding is that the male lead can cross swords, so to speak, with any of the male love interests.

I'm usually kinda apprehensive about the quality of m/m romances in video games, there's not a particularly great track record in my experience

but I guess if they can romance any of the male love interests there's gotta be at least one or two good ones

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Yeah my concern with games where "you can romance any of the available characters" is that in order to have all those options, there's usually not a lot of substance to any of the relationships. Quality queer relationships in games are few and far between.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

Then this happened.

I hope there's some m/m stuff with that level of awesome, it might be enough to make me voluntarily play a dude in an action game

It feels (to me) like there's been a severe shortage of decent romanceable dudes. Then again, I've definitely flubbed a couple of the relationships that I've given a shot so maybe I've just missed stuff?

edited October 2018

Then this happened.

It feels (to me) like there's been a severe shortage of decent romanceable dudes. Then again, I've definitely flubbed a couple of the relationships that I've given a shot so maybe I've just missed stuff?

I'll give it a look up when I eventually get Odyssey, see what the general consensus is before I pick who to play as. It's been ages since I've been able to do a proper m/m romance in a game that wasn't crap so I am just keen to find one!

part of the reason I play so many women protagonists (that and I am a lil tired of gruff masculine action hero dudes)

Anzekay on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don’t think I’ve come across any “romance” in Odyssey yet

Most of it is just a quest-fulfilling “let’s fuck”

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Scrolling through the queer thread and seeing a video for Bear Force One, and I can't help but laugh. I mean, the lead singer at least is taking it super-seriously like it's the last video he'll ever make, and I'm aware they got some bookings at some gay events, but I don't think anyone else ever took them as a serious act.

I remember when that video first dropped and the bear masses were saying that none of them were big enough, hairy enough, masculine enough, and it's just like "This is the hill you're going to die on? How "bear" someone is?" We're such an internally toxic community, sometimes.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    “Let me just say, I thought when I saw your name you were male, but I’m really happy to be interviewing a female technical person for the role, because everyone else has been male”

“Ummmmm ABOUT THAT....”

It is kinda stressful to have to be like OK yes I know I have a female voice but actually I am trans, the voice will probably change some time, I use male pronouns, sorry I cannot be your female technical person but that said I do have a lot of experience being the only woman in an all-male technical environment so uh I have sympathy/experience with that...

And her response was ohhhh well that’s great, you’ll see we have a good community here at [company], thanks for being open, if I can put you in touch with anyone let me know. (Very professional and friendly; I appreciate it.)

We’ll see whether I actually want on this contract or not; there’s a whole thing for internally interviewing for positions that I absolutely did not expect and am sort of baffled by. But I guess it does mean I have some choice in my work. And have to put mental effort into coming out to a billion more people as I meet a billion more people during this process.

I could do something to try to modify my vocal patterns but...definitely don’t have the energy for it at the moment and also still basically don’t want to. I talk like a girl, so the fuck what...

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    as I tell people, I don't have a "male" voice

I have a deep voice

just how I look at it, personally

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Had my first question about my name at college last week. "Is it short for something. Like... Persephone?"

This after someone accidentally called a woman Sean instead of her name, Sian, and someone else made a joke about her changing gender. So I guess they do think it's weird.

Had my first question about my name at college last week. "Is it short for something. Like... Persephone?"

This after someone accidentally called a woman Sean instead of her name, Sian, and someone else made a joke about her changing gender. So I guess they do think it's weird.

Are you telling people what your deal is or are you like, no, it isn’t short for anything, and just let them make what they want of it?

It is pretty stressful to constantly have to tell people this thing about myself, among other things because every time I need to have that interaction it’s an obvious indicator that I am failing to pull off the look I’m going for. But also because there is so much leeway for female appearance that it’s basically impossible to convey trans rather than butch. Obviously social pressures and circumstances are way worse for trans ladies and I have oodles of privilege as a rich white man etc etc disclaimer etc but I gotta say I do sort of envy the ability to unambiguously signal gender by using makeup and clothing and even haircuts that are essentially restricted to women. There isn’t anything like that on my end that I can do and it’s aggravating.
    It’s not guaranteed that I’ll ever be able to grow decent facial hair because hormones work differently for everyone, so I can’t assume that I’ll be able to use that, even.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I can state unequivocally that trying to code "woman" doesn't always work either - some people just have very specific and narrow notions of what makes someone a certain gender ;/

And to be fair, it shouldn’t be assumed that someone wearing clothes etc associated with a gender wants to be coded as such—there should be a lot of room for variant or unexpected presentation without the person being at all trans. So it’s not like I want to live in a society where dressing a certain way makes all people assume I’m a certain thing; although that would make my life easier, it’s not actually a good thing overall.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Every time I think about doing voice training I realize I actually don't want to spend a bunch of time and effort learning new vocal patterns.

That said I've had a cold all weekend so my voice has been more masc than ever lately and yesterday everyone was so goddamn certain I was a "sir" despite... basically everything about my presentation sans voice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Goatmon wrote: »

@Usagi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM

ugh god the short one with the pink polo is so cute shit i forgot about this video and i've watched it like 5 times now my husband keeps teasing me

like the third time he heard "viewers of a weak disposition" from the living room he was like OMG REALLY

I entertained the notion of training my voice and then thought “nah fuck that”

My voice is deep enough that I somehow still get sirred over the phone though honestly when I hear it on video I don’t think it’s that deep? So if my own perception of my voice doesn’t bother me when most other things about me do, I think I’m good there

No one questions “Veronica” at least, which is good. It can’t really be short for anything and doesn’t really sound like anything else. A GameStop clerk today said he loved my name and I was like “Thanks! Picked it myself!” which is my favorite response

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I entertained the notion of training my voice and then thought “nah fuck that”

My voice is deep enough that I somehow still get sirred over the phone though honestly when I hear it on video I don’t think it’s that deep? So if my own perception of my voice doesn’t bother me when most other things about me do, I think I’m good there

No one questions “Veronica” at least, which is good. It can’t really be short for anything and doesn’t really sound like anything else. A GameStop clerk today said he loved my name and I was like “Thanks! Picked it myself!” which is my favorite response

Ronnie is the only nickname I've ever heard and that's mostly from Archie comics.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Someone at work tried to make Roni happen like the day after I came out and I was like “FUCKIN’ NOPE” and shot that shit down

edited October 2018
    Someone at work tried to make Roni happen like the day after I came out and I was like “FUCKIN’ NOPE” and shot that shit down

My friend Veronica has sometimes been called V, Vroni, and Vera--I'm partial to the last (pronounced Russian-ly, ofc)

credeiki on
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Today

Was a good day
    Had my second Endo appointment scheduled for the afternoon. First one, couple months back, started spiro. This one would be the next step.

So my wife and I went clothes shopping to celebrate! I bought myself a lot of cute evening lounge / weekend things and had several firsts - first time trying on correct gender clothing at a store, first skirt twirl, etc. It was a little nerve-wracking as I'm definitely not out and presenting very male, but weekend morning meant sparse crowds, and presence of the wife helped a ton.

So I got through it all with no drama or weird looks. The cashier lady even complimented my t-shirt, which was my gender lawful / gender neutral / gender chaotic tee I got at PAX. Nobody ever gets that shirt outside of gaming night!

Then the appointment went well. I had to swap off spiro since my body didn't tolerate it properly; I'll see how this Saw Palmetto stuff works instead. But in better news - I got my first supply of patches! And insurance even covered most of the cost somehow.

Now to just wait while it works its magic. In the meantime I'll keep working on my voice (thanks for the recommendation for VoiceUp, Tube!), and I want to start on my handwriting.

So much has improved in my head since I accepted - and embraced - my actual identity. It took a long time getting here, and I still have quite a ways to go. But this is probably the happiest and most hopeful I've been. And the stories and knowledge shared by all you wonderful people had a whole lot to do with kicking all this off for me.

So, hi thread! My name is Alys. My pronouns are she/her. I'm a translady and work-in-progress. It's good to be here with you all!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Better being a work in progress than a hot mess like me :)

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.