As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Be a Summoner. Maxed out incarnates are pretty scary.

This is very true. I had Lohse in my party as a Necro/Summoner and her main job was to start every combat with a big scary demon to do big scary things.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Be a necromancer is great advice for just about anything because making it rain blood and then drinking that blood and using the bones of the people you've killed to bolster yourself is pretty metal either way.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I had blood drink on Sebille and a few times it hurt her a lot and I am not sure why.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I had blood drink on Sebille and a few times it hurt her a lot and I am not sure why.

If you were affected by Decay when you cast it, the healing effect will damage you instead.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    IF I'M DISGUISED HOW DO YOU KNOW I'M UNDEAD AND WHY DO YOU KEEP HEALING ME IT HURTS SO MUCH

i know that's a tough AI issue to code but if a combatant doesn't know you're undead then it's just kind of annoying for them to wreck you with heals immediately. I guess the alternative would be not having that, plus the objectively OP nature of the undead status (my ooze barrel is my best friend, drank so much of it).

I'm not quite off the island in the Definitive. Who should I end up taking with me? I'm Ifan, and Lohse is a lock-in for me already. I really like the Red Prince, I'm not that interested in Beast or elf assassin (since I can't remember her name I guess). So I guess Fane is staying with me? he is pretty interesting, but you also don't learn much about him on the island really.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Sebille and Ifan's questlines intersect in some interesting ways.

• Options
    I like her but her but it has been twice now where I'm like "ok cook it I need to talk to this guy for a quest first" and she's just like "no thanks" and kills them anyway. other than that her personality is a lot of fun, I just didn't see a lot of potential in it but I didn't think Ifan would have a great story, but he does, and apparently definitive expands/clears up some of it.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Ah, that's fair. I'm currently playing as Sebille and bringing Ifan along, so I'm able to restrain some of my more murderous impulses. Though it is definitely fun to occasionally just murder someone and eat them to learn what you needed.

Edit: Beast's quest doesn't even really start until you get off the island, but it seems mildly interesting so far.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Beast had his quest rewritten because he didn't seem important enough. Once I get through the playthrough I'm doing with friends I'll probably bring him along as one of my characters just to figure out how his interactions differ.

As far as party members go elves are probably the best race because flesh sacrifice is really good and Sebille's innate source ability is a nice backup to have. Fane has I think by far the best innate. The human racial is a good damage buff but unfortunately lost the free initiative they got which is always sad. Other than that what character you bring is really just who you like, they all can function the exact same way when you have access to full respec.

As for the undead thing it's a little immersion breaking but there's a mod somewhere that lowers the loremaster values of almost all NPCs so they can't tell you're a skeleton as often. The same thing is true of glass cannon characters, enemies immediately dump CC on them.

butts
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So, I just started playing this (the Enhanced Edition) and I think I ran into a bug. At least, I think it's a bug.

To start with, I'm playing co-op with a friend. We both make custom characters (he, a lizard; me, human)...then we start talking about what we're envisioning our character abilities are going to be so we don't have too much overlap. I went Aerothurge and two-handed (basically the good ol' shock-'n-smash routine), so he went hydrosophist and summoning. Now, this is where things got weird. After choosing my traits and tags (picked up Barbarian and Jester), I went back to pick out my aerothurge skills...only I couldn't. I had 3 squares of equipped starting skills, but clicking on any of the 4 available skills did nothing. Clicking and dragging did nothing...nor did double-clicking. I just couldn't select starting skills. I figured "meh, whatever, I'll slot them when I'm in the game." Only, when I got on the ship, I didn't have any available skills to memorize.

Now, we're a few hours in, and I finally got my first aerothurge skill because we found a skill book in some random chest...and, up until now, I've just been relying on the skills that are inherently picked up from the equipment we've been finding. Meanwhile, my friend is throwing out dragon breaths, calling up pet demons, and casting regenerations all the damn time.

So...bug, or did I somehow trigger some weird hard-mode/deprived game start?

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hmm, there's a button that locks skills on the hot bar, and I've run into a bug that locks inventory in single player.

Not anything that blocks you from using/adding existing skills though from your known skills library.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Hmm, there's a button that locks skills on the hot bar, and I've run into a bug that locks inventory in single player.

Not anything that blocks you from using/adding existing skills though from your known skills library.

That's the thing, though. According to the game (post-character creation), I had no existing skills.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Had that happen during character creation once, had to exit out and restart to fix it. No idea how to fix it if you've already moved past there.

• Options
    Had that happen during character creation once, had to exit out and restart to fix it. No idea how to fix it if you've already moved past there.

Best I can find is buying skill books. Annoying, yes. Expensive, yes. I'm just glad I had the foresight to pick up a martial specialization so I'm not completely useless.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Think I'm gearing up for another spin thru this. Anybody discover a particular new playstyle/build with the definitive edition that you enjoyed? I'm suffering paralysis of choice when thinking about how I'll build my party.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Think I'm gearing up for another spin thru this. Anybody discover a particular new playstyle/build with the definitive edition that you enjoyed? I'm suffering paralysis of choice when thinking about how I'll build my party.

Summoning is extremely powerful, the elemental totems are mini turrets that you can place practically anywhere you can see and can do magical or physical damage. The incarnate starts a bit wussy but gets ludicrous as you get more buff skills and turns into a monster at Summoning 10.

• Options
    I did full summoning and hated it until I started leveling other schools so my character was capable of doing something besides spending a whole turn summoning and buffing the incarnate.

By level sixteen it takes two turns without glass cannon to fully buff and summon and honestly I'm not about that.

I think I would be less opposed to the build if I was using the character in a solo playthrough but I'm with friends so that one character felt ridiculously weak. Just an incarnate delivery service.

butts
  • Options
    Yeah definitely gonna have a summoner/buffer and it'll be one of the other 3. First time thru I was almost entirely physical damage so I'm thinking I want at least one mage tossing damage around.

I may just say screw it and grab that mod for expanded party size. I want all the builds.

• Options
    I've found it to be very helpful to give everyone two points in aerothurge and the teleport skill.

I've been stacking Crit on my mages (necro/hydro and pyro/geo/aero) with savage sortilege and torturer.

Pre battle is spent sneaking into place, and then using rain and oil to take advantage of elemental affinity.

Combat is pretty much spending turn one teleporting every enemy into a big pile and then entangling them, and then turn two is AoE nukes.

Anyone who survives the elemental nukes will generally get caught by my melee tank, who has Medusa head to catch magic armor users and knockdown to catch physical armor.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    I've found it to be very helpful to give everyone two points in aerothurge and the teleport skill.

There are a few skills everyone can and should take. Teleport, Chicken Claw, Medusa Head and Tactical Retreat come to mind. If you’re taking poly for claw/head, might as well grab Chameleon Cloak and Spread Your Wings.

CC skills, movement skills, and skills that don’t rely on what weapon you have or where the damage isn’t the point.

Every Melee character can benefit from Battle Stomp, Battering Ram, and Decaying Touch.

• Options
    Jookie wrote: »
    I did full summoning and hated it until I started leveling other schools so my character was capable of doing something besides spending a whole turn summoning and buffing the incarnate.

By level sixteen it takes two turns without glass cannon to fully buff and summon and honestly I'm not about that.

I think I would be less opposed to the build if I was using the character in a solo playthrough but I'm with friends so that one character felt ridiculously weak. Just an incarnate delivery service.

Oh for sure, but the thing about summoning is that there's no stat requirement so after your 10 points in summoning you can branch out in any direction you like. I found a point in scoundrel to pick up adrenaline and some movement skills was helpful and now I'm going into necromancy for some direct damage on turn 2+.

Polymorph is very similar in that it fits in well with pretty much any build. No one doesn't want a couple polymorph skills and the bonus stats are nice.

• Options
    Everyone needs teleport for sure, whether from skills or equipment. Not so sure everyone needs the Polymorph skills...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Everyone needs teleport for sure, whether from skills or equipment. Not so sure everyone needs the Polymorph skills...

Chicken Claw and Medusa Head are pretty much the best CC in the game and you get extra stat points speccing into poly sooooo...

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Chicken polymorph is possible the best physical CC in the game, and everyone benefits 100% from points in poly because it's just bonus stats. Medusa head is also pretty nuts since it just auto petrifies any enemy with 0 magic armour.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Well alrighty. Guess I accidentally played hard mode. :)

EDIT: Wait, is Medusa's Head the one where you petrify them but then can't loot the corpse?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Not that I’m aware of? It petrifies anyone who has no magic defense. It also works while you have chameleon cloak on so you can stand around being an invisible petrify beacon.

• Options
    I took down a wolf abomination thing at way lower level than I should have entirely because of Medusa head.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I am like the person a few posts up. I have had this game for a bit, but haven't gotten much past the leaving of Fort Joy. I get stuck trying to figure out what I want my four party members to be, and especially what I want my created character to be. I have messed around with being a tank dwarf with sword and, but got bored causing little to no damage. I read somewhere that somebody did a three archer and one tank build, which sounds funny. I read that Summoner is supposedly strong and that Necro is strong but slow/weak to start and has one try spells and if you miss you're kind of screwed.

RightfulSin on
    "If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    The release of the definitive edition forced me to re roll everyone and I feel like if I hadn't I would have been up against a wall because of my character decisions. The early game is not very friendly if you don't go to the right places or level up a few certain traits. In particular, if you don't have an archer you'll get picked apart by magister archers and if you don't have a thief you'll run out of resources because there isn't much you can buy with early on.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    The release of the definitive edition forced me to re roll everyone and I feel like if I hadn't I would have been up against a wall because of my character decisions. The early game is not very friendly if you don't go to the right places or level up a few certain traits. In particular, if you don't have an archer you'll get picked apart by magister archers and if you don't have a thief you'll run out of resources because there isn't much you can buy with early on.

There’s a mod in the steam workshop that puts a respec mirror on the beach immediately after you hit the island in act 1 and it’s a fucking godsend. The early game is when you can fuck yourself hardest by not knowing what you’re doing, and then you’re locked in for a whole goddamn act.

I am like the person a few posts up. I have had this game for a bit, but haven't gotten much past the leaving of Fort Joy. I get stuck trying to figure out what I want my four party members to be, and especially what I want my created character to be. I have messed around with being a tank dwarf with sword and, but got bored causing little to no damage. I read somewhere that somebody did a three archer and one tank build, which sounds funny. I read that Summoner is supposedly strong and that Necro is strong but slow/weak to start and has one try spells and if you miss you're kind of screwed.

You need a tank, obviously.

I personally really love an archer. They are damage machines. Ifan’s normal build with geo works just fine and gives him utility and buffing.

I like a scoundrel who also has some touch spells, especially some necro stuff that does/is resisted by physical, and gives them some self heal.

I also like a general elemental spell caster. They’re not considered “strong” but fuck it. I like them.

I usually go self as tank, Ifan as archer, Sebille as scoundrel, red prince/Fane as caster.

Tank/scoundrel spec into poly early on, Archer/caster pick up summoning and teleport.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Also, I bought the game before the DD edition was released. Do I gave to buy or patch or do something to have the DD edition? According to my Steam library the game is up to date, but I don't think it says anything about being the DD edition.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Also, I bought the game before the DD edition was released. Do I gave to buy or patch or do something to have the DD edition? According to my Steam library the game is up to date, but I don't think it says anything about being the DD edition.

Although I haven't checked, apparently when you launch the game you'll be given the option of playing original or DE. Apparently they opted to use a launcher rather than having a separate Steam entry. I would have liked to have the separate entry myself.

• Options

Although I haven't checked, apparently when you launch the game you'll be given the option of playing original or DE. Apparently they opted to use a launcher rather than having a separate Steam entry. I would have liked to have the separate entry myself.

I'm not sure if a separate entry requires fully separate installs though?

• Options
    Today I learned something interesting about enemies spawning mid-fight (spoilers end of act 1)
    That is a giant worm that spawned on the very top platform of the encounter area. Whoops.
    fR4sVaz.jpg

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Today I learned something interesting about enemies spawning mid-fight (spoilers end of act 1)
    That is a giant worm that spawned on the very top platform of the encounter area. Whoops.
    fR4sVaz.jpg
    Hope you weren't playing on Honor Mode.

butts
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I finally beat my run through on Definitive Edition

125 hours on tactician mode!

the last fight was really silly
    So you're supposed to fight Lucian and Dallis and Braccus Rex

and halfway through the fight Braccus stops and has a scripted chat

where he invokes the god king and you fight against all of the bosses in the game simultaneously

and I was completely stuck on this fight for several hours

eventually I reloaded outside the final area, respecced my characters with some source infused pyroclastic eruption scrolls, and did the fight again

the spell just one-shotted the entire boss encounter, everyone got critted, everyone took 15000+ damage

braccus rex didn't get a chance to give his scripted speech, there was no phase 2, the fight was over on the first turn of my first character

all in all I ain't even mad, very happy to have played the game

also very happy to be done with it

Brolo on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Watching the Larian documentary and I really feel like giving this another real go. I bounced off it pretty hard but knowing the way they design their storytelling might give me a better idea of what to look for. Also the blood, sweat and tears (and money) they went through to not close down, making little kids games just to pay the bills while they worked on their passion projects, I appreciate that level of commitment to game design. They make games because they want to, not just because it's a job.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I just started this as a big lizard skeleton and I'm already very excited. I literally haven't moved out of the first room because character creation took me like an hour BUT I was impressively sensible and didn't pick Tactician Mode because I am able to recognize that doubling my playtime isn't something I gotta be doing right now.

I love that they seem to have really baked Undead into the game as a significant choice up front. I look forward to accidentally terrorizing people!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I just started this as a big lizard skeleton and I'm already very excited. I literally haven't moved out of the first room because character creation took me like an hour BUT I was impressively sensible and didn't pick Tactician Mode because I am able to recognize that doubling my playtime isn't something I gotta be doing right now.

I love that they seem to have really baked Undead into the game as a significant choice up front. I look forward to accidentally terrorizing people!

Undead enables some pretty wild spell and item combinations. It's totally worth the playthrough.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I see they added people noticing their stuff is gone, just a mild annoyance it seems but I would be happy with a mod to remove that.

I may progress the quest soon now that I think I've swiped most everyone's stuff in Fort Joy!