As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I didn't play quite as much Shadespire as I would've liked, so I was going to sit out season 2, but I like what I'm seeing so far and I need a new painting project anyway.
    Interesting in terms of AoS future stuff to see Darkoath in there (though I suppose they've been rumoured about for a bit) and that the mushroom troggoth is separate from the Moonclan stuff.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have only played a few games I would like to play more though. The not wood elves do have my interest as well as some of the others and warbands. I guess i am going to get Mulgore soon

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How are aleguzzler gargants? (As potential allies of beastclaw riders.)

I know they don't exactly cover a weakness in the bcr lineup (more behemoths! yay!), but are they gonna be able to pull their points' worth?

I really like the model.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    In a BCR list I'm not sure a Gargant adds much, it's slower than your Stonehorns, considerably more fragile and with worse damage outfit, and that irritating little rule where it fails any charge on the roll of a double. Of course it is also pretty cheap on the points front, and the model, whilst old, is a fun one, with lots of build options. In a competitive setting with BCR, where you have to really work to squeeze efficiency into a list, it would probably be tough to squeeze one in and have it perform, but in a more casual environment it would probably be fine.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    In a BCR list I'm not sure a Gargant adds much, it's slower than your Stonehorns, considerably more fragile and with worse damage outfit, and that irritating little rule where it fails any charge on the roll of a double. Of course it is also pretty cheap on the points front, and the model, whilst old, is a fun one, with lots of build options. In a competitive setting with BCR, where you have to really work to squeeze efficiency into a list, it would probably be tough to squeeze one in and have it perform, but in a more casual environment it would probably be fine.

yeah, if you are doing this to have fun then do what your heart feels like and don't worry too much about efficacy because BCR is not competitive

if you are trying to make it somewhat competitive, you need at least one butcher and a bunch of gobbos to screen and hold an objective
    a night gobbo shaman wouldn't hurt either

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    PiptheFair wrote: »

yeah, if you are doing this to have fun then do what your heart feels like and don't worry too much about efficacy because BCR is not competitive

if you are trying to make it somewhat competitive, you need at least one butcher and a bunch of gobbos to screen and hold an objective
    a night gobbo shaman wouldn't hurt either

I haven’t done it myself yet because I’m still painting my first start collecting, but it’ll be real easy to make a butcher from an irongut and spares from the Beastclaw start collecting. There is a lot of meat and stuff that hang off the hooks on the mounts spare.

It’s probably worth picking them up for more variant heads and stuff too.

Edit: Looking at irongutz come in multiples of three, and box contains four so you can get a butcher and a unit for less than the butcher model.

Norgoth on
    I don't think BCR can ally with Moonclan, unfortunately, you have to use the Gutbuster grots if you want some cheap screening bodies.

Converting up a plastic butcher is pretty easy, for sure, I think the Irongut kit even comes with the arms and one-hand weapons from the basic Ogor kit, so you have lots of customisation options. I just used a bit of green stuff to bulk up one of the ogor bodies and add a rough apron, then loaded it up with bits of spare meat and bone and such, chopped one hand off to replace with a meat cleaver or whatever, easy enough.
    Only thing to bear in mind is that there's no real point running a Butcher without the 'Great Cauldron' option, which is tougher to convert from scratch, I just used the big maw totem thing from the thundertusk kit and glued it to the Butcher's back, no one's complained yet.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I don't think BCR can ally with Moonclan, unfortunately, you have to use the Gutbuster grots if you want some cheap screening bodies.

Converting up a plastic butcher is pretty easy, for sure, I think the Irongut kit even comes with the arms and one-hand weapons from the basic Ogor kit, so you have lots of customisation options. I just used a bit of green stuff to bulk up one of the ogor bodies and add a rough apron, then loaded it up with bits of spare meat and bone and such, chopped one hand off to replace with a meat cleaver or whatever, easy enough.
    Only thing to bear in mind is that there's no real point running a Butcher without the 'Great Cauldron' option, which is tougher to convert from scratch, I just used the big maw totem thing from the thundertusk kit and glued it to the Butcher's back, no one's complained yet.

It’s just regular ogres, troggoths and gargants. They can take the malign portents shaman too as he’s takeable by any destruction army.

Worth pointing out the BCR specific bonuses and stuff are mainly ok, which means you don’t lose out on much just running a destruction force.

The biggest problem for ally’s in BCR is that only one in four of your units can be allies. The unit count is so small in BCR you often get one ally unit and that’s it.

Edit: Oh I forgot because there is one other option (and it’s actually the army I’m building so I can’t belive I forgot!) but you can take gore gruntas in your list if you take the braggoths beast raiders battalion. These don’t count as allies either.

Norgoth on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I think I have almost everything for the Beast Hammer battalion.

llsawbsqq4wo.png

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Way back when I first started playing 40K I was really interested in Fantasy, but like many people I just couldn't find people who played, and the few who did at my LGS were not F, as it were. I got my Fantasy fix via White Dwarf, and I always distinctly recalled a battle report featuring The Beastmen. I don't know what it was about their models and playstyle that got my goat, but they did.

Fast forward 20 years and huh I seem to have acquired a Start Collecting Beasts of Chaos.

There's a lot of gluing and painting in my future.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    Way back when I first started playing 40K I was really interested in Fantasy, but like many people I just couldn't find people who played, and the few who did at my LGS were not F, as it were. I got my Fantasy fix via White Dwarf, and I always distinctly recalled a battle report featuring The Beastmen. I don't know what it was about their models and playstyle that got my goat, but they did.

Fast forward 20 years and huh I seem to have acquired a Start Collecting Beasts of Chaos.

There's a lot of gluing and painting in my future.

Try and track down the old start collecting to another big guy and some minos!

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Really I only knew of one person the entire time I played 40k that played Warhammer {I played a lot of Warhammer quest with him and he was avid fan of blood bowl}
    The Daughters of Khaine really pulled me into to really trying to play a game which I have never done in the nearly 30 years I have played Gw games

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Quick rules question after reading the General’s Handbook.

If I’m playing a matched play game, to use a specific warscroll battalion I have to buy the required units, then pay the cost of the battalion to get the special ability, right?

For example, if I want a Cleansing Plalanx I have to buy the 2 units of Sequitors and 2 units of Evocators, then spend the 120 points for the battalion itself?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

If I’m playing a matched play game, to use a specific warscroll battalion I have to buy the required units, then pay the cost of the battalion to get the special ability, right?

For example, if I want a Cleansing Phalanx I have to buy the 2 units of Sequitors and 2 units of Evocators, then spend the 120 points for the battalion itself?

Yes.

Bear in mind when evaluating the cost that as well as whatever abilities the battalion scroll gives you, you also get an extra magic item and command point.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

For example, if I want a Cleansing Phalanx I have to buy the 2 units of Sequitors and 2 units of Evocators, then spend the 120 points for the battalion itself?

Yes.

Bear in mind when evaluating the cost that as well as whatever abilities the battalion scroll gives you, you also get an extra magic item and command point.

Ah, did not know that. That helps. Thanks.

Yes.

Ah, did not know that. That helps. Thanks.

You also have the option to set up all the units in the battalion in one go instead of setting up one unit at a time. This might let you finish deploying first and thus get to choose who gets the first turn.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Since I was going to wait and see about season 2 of Shadespire nightvault they put out the new warbands quicker than I thought
    5bcf7lb9q8kf.png
    A Tzeentch one named the Eyes of the Nine

1t5v6rtbry1e.png
    A night goblin one

Really I have been playing Orcs or Magore's but it's how the skeleton warband gets a different mechcanic to bring more fighters into the game in the season 2 game make me really think about getting it

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ks6LRl6l.jpg

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Eyes of the Nine and the Kharadron guys are pretty much instant buys for me for Shadespire, if I can find somewhere to play it regularly. The addition of "All the Generics," decks they've alluded to in some of the Season 2 promotional stuff should make the game an easier sell in my area at least.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    Eyes of the Nine and the Kharadron guys are pretty much instant buys for me for Shadespire, if I can find somewhere to play it regularly. The addition of "All the Generics," decks they've alluded to in some of the Season 2 promotional stuff should make the game an easier sell in my area at least.

Not quite sure what you mean by "All the Generics" and I keep pretty up on the Underworlds scene.

They are doing the bands from the old core box as single releases with new universal cards, and in a remarkably customer friendly manner are releasing those specific universals separately so people who own the old core box don't miss out/have to double dip.

But that's all I'm aware of.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I finally got the Start Collecting Beasts assembled. I'm using a variety of base coats and skin/fur colors to keep them individualistic, and am going to use the Citadel paint app's Weathered Bronze scheme on the weapons/armor to make them look suitably just emerged from a dark European forest to burn your civilization to the ground.

I'm excited.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »

Not quite sure what you mean by "All the Generics" and I keep pretty up on the Underworlds scene.

They are doing the bands from the old core box as single releases with new universal cards, and in a remarkably customer friendly manner are releasing those specific universals separately so people who own the old core box don't miss out/have to double dip.

But that's all I'm aware of.

It's distinctly possible I misinterpreted something, but the impression I got from the Warhammer Community stuff was that a box of just non-faction specific cards was incoming at some point in the near future. You may well be right.

E: Did some looking again and can't find the thing I read that way, so more than likely you're correct.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

In the "made to order" stuff the Troll King comes from the time I quit playing GW stuff or paying attention to it.
    I kind of want to get it to paint but I have a ton of stuff already and I know the secondary market is bonkers for those so it's tempting but really just on my list of meh

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Throgg really is a great model though. Especially all the Dwarven axes embedded in his hide that he’s just sort of ignoring…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This army is fantastic:
    Venetian Carnival themed Nighthaunt
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/11/nighthaunts-in-venice/

honovere wrote: »
    This army is fantastic:
    Venetian Carnival themed Nighthaunt
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/11/nighthaunts-in-venice/
    I love this a whole lot

This weekend I was playing in the 2018 Finals for the Age of Sigmar Grand Tournament at Warhammer World, 6 games over two days, plus all the usual prizes for painting and such, to determine this year's top player in the GT. There are photos of all the painting entries along with the overall score sheet on Warhammer World's facebook.
    I managed 3 major wins and 3 major losses, with 2 favourite army and 1 favourite game votes, plus a heaping pile of kill points, placing me at 34th out of 73 competitors, so middle of the pack, which seems about right to be honest. But more importantly I had six great opponents and six great games (barring some, er, issues in round 3, which I'll get into) even if the air conditioning was broken on the first day...

My list was basically the exact same as I took too the heats, it was more written with AoS edition 1 in mind, but it still works well enough with the new rules. A slightly more balanced approach to Daughters of Khaine than some of the higher scoring lists, but I've never been that keen on the look of more spam-heavy armies.
    Hagg Nar temple
    -Morathi (Mindrazor)
    -Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (Devoted Disciples, Blood Sigil, Blessing of Khaine, Crimson Rejuvenation)
    -Hag Queen (Sacrament of Blood)
    -Hag Queen (Catechism of Murder)
    -30x Witch Aelves (Knives)
    -10x Witch Aelves (Knives)
    -10x Sisters of Slaughter (Shields)
    -15x Blood Sisters
    -5x Heartrenders
    -5x Heartrenders

Game 1 - Total Commitment - Realm of Fire (Clouds of Smoke and Steam)

The first game was a mirror match versus another DoK player. Unsurprisingly there were a lot of DoK players in attendance, though there was quite a variety of lists between them, which was interesting to see, the 1st place list was a DoK army which did not include any Hag Queens, for example. The Total Commitment mission prevents you using any special deployment methods, which only impacted our harpy units, while the Realm Feature made all terrain pieces block line of sight, which, again, not a huge deal without much shooting going around.

My opponent's list:
    Khailebron temple
    -Morathi (Mindrazor?)
    -Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (Mistress of Illusion)
    -Hag Queen
    -Hag Queen
    -Bloodwrack Medusa (Shadow Stone)
    -30x Witch Aelves (Knives)
    -20x Witch Aelves (Knives)
    -10x Sisters of Slaughter (Shields)
    -5x Doomfire Warlocks
    -5x Heartrenders
    -5x Heartrenders
    -Soulsnare Shackles

I took the first turn and I think managed to surprise my opponent by transforming Morathi straight away, buffing her up and using her cheeky transformation shunt plus high movement stat to barrel into both of their Witch units. I only really wanted to keep them pinned there for a turn or two, but with Mindrazor and Catechism she ended up killing 24 of the 30 witches with her spear, as well as tagging the other Witch Squad and the Sisters of Slaughter protecting an objective in combat. My opponent then used a similar trick in their turn to do the same thing, with the Khailebron teleport followed by her transformation their Morathi was able to reach my own Witch Aelves, but as those trigger at the start of the Hero phase she did not have the buffs available to reap quite as much damage.

Knocking out the main threat of my opponents army right off the bat put me in a strong position going forwards, even when they won the turn 2 initiative I was able to weather what was left of their assault and push through it to secure a major victory.

1kZ7iLk.jpg?1

Game 2 - Shifting Objectives - Realm of Life (Lifesprings)

Game 2 was against Idoneth Deepkin, an army I'm not hugely familiar with, on a mission which can be quite tough to adapt to. The realm feature lets you give one of your heroes an additional wound, which you might note is kinda busted on Morathi... Didn't make much difference in this game, but in other cases could prove hugely irritating.

NZADwis.jpg?1

My opponent's list:
    Fuethan enclave
    -Akhelian King
    -Tidecaster (General)
    -Soulscryer
    -Soulscryer
    -10x Thralls
    -10x Thralls
    -10x Thralls
    -9x Morsarr Guard
    -9x Morsarr Guard
    -5x Heartrenders

I'm scared of the Soulscryer's ability to bring units in from a board edge and take out my key support units, so I spent a long time trying to deploy defensively to avoid such a thing, but then my opponent just stuck all the scary eels on the board anyway, with a 14" flying move, 6" run via command point and the ability to run and charge in the first turn thanks to the Fuethan enclave and reversing the Tides of Death with the Tidecaster you don't really need to outflank them to get them where they need to go... My opponent took the first turn and promptly charged with one unit of eels and the Ahkelian King, evaporating the Blood Sisters and tying up the Witch Aelves whilst the second eel unit hung back to repeat the same trick next turn when they would all get to fight first.

It's quite rare with my list to lose a whole unit so suddenly, and when it does happen it's hard to come back from. Fortunately Idoneth units are generally low Bravery, which lets Mindrazor really shine, though my opponent had cannily tied up my Witch Aelves in a way to minimise their return attacks against the eels a combination of Mindrazor and my command ability to attack in the hero phase allowed even those Witches that could reach to chew through the remaining eels. I was forced to commit the Cauldron to combat in order to take out the Ahkelian King so that his re-roll aura wouldn't be a factor for the next turn.

I won the initiative in turn 2 and had to take it so that I could at least advance up the board and score some points before the second batch of eels wiped out the Witches, killing a squad of Thralls sitting on the central objective. In my opponents turn the eels, as expected, smashed into the Witch Aelves, and, along with a unit of Thralls, killed all but I think 4 of them, but with Mindrazor 4 Witch Aelves are still more than enough to chew through a Thrall unit, which they promptly did.

I won the initiative again for turn 3, which was lucky cos I was rapidly running out of units. I transformed Morathi and, with Mindrazor, she proved herself a very capable eel killing tool, slaying 7 of the 9 remaining Morsarr guard, though a command point saved them from fleeing. The game actually then became quite tense, with both eel squads more or less out of the game my opponent was on the back foot in terms of power, but was well ahead on victory points, in the end it came down to the turn 4 roll off, if my opponent won I would not be able to catch up on points, whereas if I won I could wipe out their units and score enough points in turn 5 to win. But the dice came down in the Idoneth's favour after a surprisingly close match given how bloody the first turns were.

Game 3 - Duality of Death - Realm of Metal (Metallic Hinterlands)

YmexFNh.jpg?1

For this game I was matched against last years champion and their well-honed, turquoise-hued, mixed order list, things were going quite well, after a dicey first couple of turns I was starting to push into a potential win, however with 40 minutes left on the clock I suddenly remembered that re-rolls happen before modifiers, and my their army was mostly de-buffs versus my army of mostly re-rolls, I'd been playing it wrong the whole time. We paused the game to talk it over and see if we could rewind the position of units to a point where we could play back through, but it would have basically been playing the whole game over and there wasn't time for that, we ended up theory-ing out how things should have gone and figured my opponent would almost certainly have had the win if I'd had the rules right from the beginning. A pretty embarrassing mess, but at least I didn't end up accidentally cheating my way to an unearned victory.

My opponent's list:
    -Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix (Some -1 to hit thing)
    -Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix
    -Treelord Ancient
    -Tenebreal Shard (Sword of Judgement)
    -Branchwych
    -Branchwraith
    -10x Arkanaut Company (3x Lightskyhooks)
    -10x Skinks
    -10x Skinks
    -10x Skinks
    -5x Tree Revenants
    -Some Sylvaneth Battalion

Game 4 - Knife to the Heart - Realm of Shadow (Perpetual Dusk)

R7y7ZEq.jpg?1

Another turquoise mixed order list, it's like there's a trend, this was quite similar to the list from the previous game, but with some key differences. The Knife to the Heart mission has changed somewhat with AoS2, making it less likely to end in a minor victory every single time, which is good, but is now also much easier to lose! The realm feature capped the range of spells and magic to 12", effectively taking the Arkanauts out of much of the game and limiting Morathi's value as a spellcaster.

My opponent's list:
    -Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix (Some -1 to hit thing)
    -Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix
    -Morathi
    -Sorceress on Pegasus? (Compendium unit)
    -5x Doomfire Warlocks
    -10x Skinks
    -10x Skinks
    -10x Witch Aelves
    -5x Heartrenders
    -5x Heartrenders

I was given the first turn, mostly using it to buff up and advance a little, this mission is always a little cagey. In my opponents turn I learned that the Realm of Shadow command ability which lets you teleport a unit from one board edge to another does not restrict that unit's ability to move after doing so. When that unit is Morathi that is quite concerning! A transformed Morathi and the two phoenixes got into my Witch Aelves turn one, and Morathi got a high enough charge to let her get right into my lines and attack my own (untransformed) Morathi with her spear, causing 3 wounds.

When my opponent won the initiative for turn 2 I was certain they had it in the bag, a crucial moment of the game was when their Morathi put all of her attacks into my Morathi in an effort to kill her before she could transform, but only managed to cause a single wound, leaving her with 2, so once she transformed she would be there for at least two more turns. In my turn I was able to start clawing back an upper hand, retreating what was left of my battered Witch Aelves to guard the objective and sending in the Blood Sisters to grind down the Phoenixes.

I won the initiative for turn 3, which let me kill of the opposing Morathi and both phoenixes, along with the Doomfire Warlocks which had been sneaking around my flanks by charging my Morathi into them, putting her within 6" of my board edge so I could teleport her in the next turn. From round 3 onwards you can win the game at any point by holding both objectives, and my opponent had an opportunity to do so here by dropping 10 Heartrenders onto my side of the board and thinning down the weak units on my objective, however once the dice had been rolled I still had 10 models to their 8 in range.

My opponent won the turn 4 roll, the vaunted triple-double turn flip-flopping between us, another chance for them to thin off just enough models to steal my objective and win the game, the Heartrenders needed to kill just 2 of my models between them whilst taking no casualties themselves, but they could not quite manage it, which meant in my turn 4 I was able to clear off the Heartrenders from my objective and remove the threat of losing the game. My opponents objective was still blocked off with skinks and arkanauts, however, but by teleporting Morathi and some accompanying Witch Aelves, along with my own Heartrenders, I was able to sneak out a very luck major victory.

Game 5 - The Better Part of Valor - Realm of Death (Eternal War)

I do not understand this mission at all, reading the rules to it it seems fine, but then actually playing it out I cannot get my head round the scoring and burning objectives, it seems very easy to put yourself in an unwinnable position without even realising it. The realm feature gives everyone +1 bravery, but it didn't matter much in this game. I was playing against Rob of Warhammer TV fame, with a Legion of Azgohr army.

Nb5DScV.jpg?1

My opponent's list:
    -Bull Centaur Taur'ruk
    -Daemonsmith
    _Daemonsmith
    -Skarr Bloodwrath
    -30x Fireglaives
    -30x Fireglaives
    -10x Fireglaives
    -12x K'Daai Fireborn
    -Chaos War Mammoth
    -Soulsnare Shackles
    -Geminids

I have no idea what the chaos dwarfs can do, I've never played them before, which might be why I was so fatally cautious on this mission. I suspect if I had played more aggressively I would've fared better, but I was apprehensive of the firepower kicked out by the battleline units, uncertain of how dangerous the mammoth was, and very scared of the K'Daai, this let my opponent dictate the battle expertly. We spent a lot of time in careful movement and measuring, I'm not sure we actually got to roll for a real combat of import over the course of the game, but it was still very tense and careful stuff, a great game, if not a very bombastic one.

Game 6 - Border War - Realm of Light (Gleaming Vista)

This mission is a lot more straightfowards, though complicated by the Realm of Light spells and command abilities. At this point I was sitting at 2 major wins to 3 major losses, so if I didn't get another win here I would be doing worse this year than I did last year when the DoK didn't even have a battletome, which would be pretty embarrassing! My opponent was Idoneth Deepkin again, with a pretty similar list to that seen in Game 2.

zzUr5he.jpg
    Fuethan enclave
    -Tidecaster (General)
    -Tidecaster
    -Soulscryer
    -Soulscryer
    -Spellweaver
    -10x Thralls
    -10x Thralls
    -10x Thralls
    -9x Morsarr Guard
    -9x Morsarr Guard
    -Aethervoid Pendulum
    -Quicksilver Swords

This being basically the second time fighting this style of list in two days I was a little more prepared for it, expecting that the eels might be deployed on the board rather than in reserves and screening for that, and indeed they were. I got the first tun and opted to take it so that my units would at least be immune to battleshock for the inevitable big charge, and so that I could shuffle my screens around a little better based on the deployment of the eels. My opponent was a lot more aggressive than the one in game 2, using Steed of Tides to teleport one Tidecaster into position to throw out endless spells, whilst both eel units charged at the same time, though thanks to my deployment I was able to limit the incoming damage significantly.

In turn 2 it did not matter too much who got initiative (for once) as all the Idoneth were striking first anyway and with Fuethan they cannot retreat and charge, so their dangerous charge bonus would not be in effect. As it happened I won priority which let me get the Blood Sisters into the eels and start making a mess, though my Mindrazor was wisely dispelled by the Spellweaver's automatic unbind. The Aethervoid Pendulum did knock a full three wounds off of Morathi, which is bad as it hits in between battle rounds and therefore bypasses her Heart of Khaine rule, forcing me to transform her earlier than I would've liked or risk losing her. This was a fairly big turn for me, despite the Idoneth swinging first the casualties were not so bad, and I managed to clear the Thralls off of one objective with Morathi (Though she was dropped to one wound in the process) kill a Tidecaster, remove one eel unit from the game and kill three of the other unit. In the Idoneth turn 2 the remaining eels elected to retreat and give up their High Tide advantage as they would likely have been killed off by the blood sisters.

Turn 3 the initiative goes to the Idoneth, who manage to kill off Morathi with a lowly arcane bolt, very embarrassing. The eels charge back in, hoping to wipe out my remaining blood sisters, but roll poorly for the combat and don't do quite enough damage, this more or less leaves me free to finish off the eels and then go objective hunting over the next two turns, coming out with a major victory.

---

And that's that, I didn't want to get into a full blow-by-blow of each game so it's mostly just brief notes, but I had a good time!

I’m honestly shocked you didn’t face any legion of nagash

edited October 2018
    Me too! I suspect that's cos I lost games 2 and 3 and got sorted down to the middle tables whilst the Nagash players mostly moved up past me, there were plenty there, as you can imagine. I think the final top table game was (predictably) Nagash versus DoK.

Halos Nach Tariff on
    Me too! I suspect that's cos I lost games 2 and 3 and got sorted down to the middle tables whilst the Nagash players mostly moved up past me, there were plenty there, as you can imagine. I think the final top table game was (predictably) Nagash versus DoK.

man...

it's a real shame, because a lot of the other armies are pretty well balanced

but jesus christ dok and nagash are a problem

I would not be against having DoK and Nagash dropped down some, I don't think you're wrong to say they're a step above most of the other books, though personally I'd rather the other factions got bumped up to match them instead, both the DoK and LoN books are fun to write lists with and play, and there's a lot of variety in high level lists, unlike some other books which are more mono-build.

They could do with some sort of 8th ed 40k style rapid book release for AoS to bring things up to speed, a lot factions are on wildly different levels to one another.

What are those trays?

I would not be against having DoK and Nagash dropped down some, I don't think you're wrong to say they're a step above most of the other books, though personally I'd rather the other factions got bumped up to match them instead, both the DoK and LoN books are fun to write lists with and play, and there's a lot of variety in high level lists, unlike some other books which are more mono-build.

They could do with some sort of 8th ed 40k style rapid book release for AoS to bring things up to speed, a lot factions are on wildly different levels to one another.

DoK at least require finesse to play properly, they're fragile but ludicrously killy
    a nerf to their buff spells and maybe to morathi and some points adjustments would probably put them in line with everything else?

nagash is just a fucking mess though; infinite spells, way too survivable cheap battleline, powerful elites, nagash himself is somehow undercosted at 800 points
    just everything about the army is a problem

I agree that DoK seem a fairly easy fix, either bump the points cost of Hag Queens up to something more in line with other support heroes or limit Witchbrew in some fashion, maybe change the Hagg Nar temple traits a bit, a little bit of points nudging and it would be possible to tone them down without making them unplayable, probably. Morathi as a warscroll is fine I think, the problem (and why she's started showing back up in high-ranking lists) is the addition of realm spells she can take advantage of, kinda similar with Nagash really, though of course he was good before he had access to a slew of extra spells on top of the already decent LoN spells. I feel like the undead command trait to return a slain unit needs a look at, that's the main thing that feels kinda cheap to me in that book, but I don't know. I guess we'll see what shakes up when it comes to big FAQ time.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Interesting to see Morathi in a mixed order list.
    How was Tzeentch doing? Did the tourney use the beasts of chaos Tzaangor changes?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Morathi is a pretty strong choice in a mixed order list, either her or Alarielle are quite popular, lots of spells to buff up phoenix armour saves along with a bit of combat punch/tarpit potential where necessary.

There were a few Tzeentch lists floating around, though none in the top ten, one of the best painted nominees was 3 Lords of Change and Kairos with, like, minimal Kairic acolytes. I didn't look with a huge degree of scrutiny but I didn't see anyone playing heavy Tzaangors, I don't know if there was an official ruling on which Tzaangor rules to use, but the BoC FAQ did come out the day before the tournament started, so I suspect if an issue arose people would've been directed to use the newer BoC warscrolls.

The top ten, for those interested:
    DoK w/Morathi
    Nighthaunt
    Nurgle Daemons
    Stormcast Sacrosanct Chamber
    Nagash
    DoK Snakes
    Order Soup
    Idoneth
    Nagash
    Daughters Horde

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    99560201020_Vorgaroth01.jpg
    Vorgaroth the Scarred & Skalok the Skull Host of Khorne

465€
    1200 points
    https://forgeworld.co.uk/en-DE/Vorgaroth-the-Scarred-and-Skalok-the-Skull-Host-of-Khorne-2018

feels kinda silly that that little axe is responsible for so much of it's offensive output. Maybe he gets of his throne for melee.

honovere on
    edited October 2018
    Off by seconds so have the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4YVm3vUBcE

Brainleech on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

465€
    1200 points
    https://forgeworld.co.uk/en-DE/Vorgaroth-the-Scarred-and-Skalok-the-Skull-Host-of-Khorne-2018

feels kinda silly that that little axe is responsible for so much of it's offensive output. Maybe he gets of his throne for melee.

If you read the rules carefully, you'll se that the axe does in fact no damage against most models. It only has a reach of 1", and I'm pretty sure that Volgaroth (the dude) is way more than 1" away from enemy models, considering the size of his mount.
    :P

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

465€
    1200 points

If you read the rules carefully, you'll se that the axe does in fact no damage against most models. It only has a reach of 1", and I'm pretty sure that Volgaroth (the dude) is way more than 1" away from enemy models, considering the size of his mount.
    :P

This is why people riding something like a dragon should be mages, or archers, or at least using a super-long polearm (IRL pikes could be as long as 25 feet, for instance). In this case, the rider using his ax feels very much like the Age of Sigmar equivalent of this:
    ehoi8bgmd63d.png

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
This discussion has been closed.