As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's time to get a new(er) car

I've been driving my Scion xB for 14 years and it's time for me to get a new or newish car. I've been scoping out hybrid vehicles and have it pared down to these three options which consistently are in the top of various lists.

Honda Accord Hybrid
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Chevy Volt

I'm personally kinda surprised that the Chevy is has topped a lot of the recommendations and reviews. My preference is to go with the Honda. I'd like to hear from anyone who has owned or current owns any of these three and what your thoughts are on long term ownership. If you couldn't tell, I'm not a every four or five year kind of car buyer. I'd rather keep it for a decent amount of time. For the record, my xB has made it over a quarter million miles and is still going strong. Part of what's prompting this is the absolute stark changes in technology since I bought that one and a consistent, but slow decline in gas mileage.

Open to buying used or off lease versions if the price difference is enough to cut payments by years and not just months.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Why a Camry over a Prius?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    How long is your daily commute and could you plug in the Volt nightly?

A couple and a former coworker of mine both own Volts and were very happy with them. The couple worked close enough to drive to work together in it and (about 10ish miles round trip) and went over a year between fill ups with it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I know 2 colleagues who swear by their Volt and Leaf, respectively. However, both have predictable in town commutes of less than 15 miles. I have heard them complain about occasionally having to charge for an unexpected trip somewhere, but other than that, it has been nothing but praise.

It's enough that I'm thinking about a pure electric myself.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I've done some development work on the second generation Volt, and spent a fair amount of time in both. The first gen was programmed very conservatively, so the batteries have been lasting a very long time. The second gens are too new to have an accurate read on long term reliability.

Overall I like them a lot, but they only make sense if you have somewhere to charge. I ultimately ended up with a fuel efficient conventional car because my long highway drive wasn't well suited to the Volt's strengths.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Yeah, I could plug the car in overnight most days and my daily commute is around 35 miles, round trip.

I'm looking at the sedan side of things instead of a compact car due to wanting some leg room in the back for passengers and the grand kids who need car seats for the foreseeable future. Want to make sure there's plenty of room so they're not pressed up against the front seats.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I could plug the car in overnight most days and my daily commute is around 35 miles, round trip.

I'm looking at the sedan side of things instead of a compact car due to wanting some leg room in the back for passengers and the grand kids who need car seats for the foreseeable future. Want to make sure there's plenty of room so they're not pressed up against the front seats.

The Prius and Prius V have similar interiors aside from the trunk space, and I can fit pretty comfortable in the back seat of one.

I'm 6'4" and very large. I haven't been able to get in the back seat of a car since I was 13.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Priuses (Prii?) have pretty fantastic back seats, actually.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

If your round-trip commute is 35 miles, that's basically tailor-made for the Volt. The gas engine will start up occasionally as a maintenance precaution to keep things lubricated, but you will effectively be driving in EV mode 99% of the time. You'll need to do the math to determine your electricity cost versus the cost of gas and see which is cheaper, but the Accord and Camry hybrids will use substantially more gas in the kind of use you're looking at.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Priuses (Prii?) have pretty fantastic back seats, actually.

The regular and the V. The Prius C might as well not have one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter