As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Pithy Comment

19495969798100»

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Gee whiz, with that kind of non-rebuke, Trump may as well call open season on any green card holders overseas.

Got brown skin or a foreign-sounding name? America just said it ain't gonna do shit to protect you - probably even if you are a for-realsies no-take-backs natural born citizen!

That sort of thing is A Thing among conservative parties in general the last several years. They can't go after citizens directly, much, yet, so they'll do what they can to make life more difficult for other people they've got an interest in.

Canada spent Harper's last few years deciding that permanent residents or citizens who had dual nationality didn't warrant consular services if something happened to them abroad. It's something they can go to go after people who aren't really insert-our-nationality-here while figuring out ways to start attacking citizenship outright. Britain and France have each been batting around similar concepts recently, and the US has several variants in the works as well.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    CNN reporting that Saudis will say Khashoggi was killed at Istanbul consulate in unauthorized interrogation gone wrong.

That would be an old fashioned "if only the emperor knew about this thing being done in furtherance of his policies!"

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    While I suppose that it's possible that the King didn't personally order this, the fact that he's so clearly ambivelent about paramilitary death squads going off to execute political dissidents is basically... well lets just say the gays call it "docking".

Remember how it was a big "revelation" that Putin never ordered hits? That's nothing new. It's been a tool of dictators for as long as there've been dictators. Some dictators bloody their hands, others order their followers to bloody theirs, some openly reward bloody hands, some do none of these things... But for that last group, if your hands are bloody, your loyalty and other actions will inexplicably be rewarded that bit better than those around you.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    CNN reporting that Saudis will say Khashoggi was killed at Istanbul consulate in unauthorized interrogation gone wrong.

That would be an old fashioned "if only the emperor knew about this thing being done in furtherance of his policies!"

Will this disavowed wet work team be publicly punished?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Lemme guess.

The dismemberment was an "unauthorized mani-pedi gone wrong".

The disappearance of the body was an "unauthorized Stamps.com promo gone wrong".

I mean, I knew that they were gonna obfuscate it, and I'm kinda surprised that they appear to be admitting that much.

But honestly, I would expect a more sophisticated deception than the Urkel defense.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Who among us

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

The National reporter:

I am sure they will find a few fall guys.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I can't believe this is happening. Well, I can, fact is stranger than fiction with this admin, but I'm still surprised.

Find it funny though
    Trump "Saudi king says he had nothing to do with it. I belive him "
    Later
    Saudi king " it was an investigation gone wrong"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So basically MBS scapegoats elements of the royal family he doesn't like, executes them summarily, strengthens his grip on power, and claims everything is fine.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    They're going to present "oh well he accidentally died while we were torturing him and we were about to abduct him back to SA, whoopsie!" as their actual response? Alright.

• Options
    If this was a rogue operation, why did the rogue agents apparently assume the torture plus kidnapping would be all well and good to those above them?

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

I assume a handful of completely uninvolved people will be deemed to be the wetwork team and will receive nice, convenient near-miss headcuts to Put An End To The Story.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If this was a rogue operation, why did the rogue agents apparently assume the torture plus kidnapping would be all well and good to those above them?

We don't have time for rational thought!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

The National reporter:

This explanation of events reads like the Saudis watched Burn After Reading and figured yep, that's good enough for us.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Rogue agents operating freely in my consulate.

Makes sense.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Was Trump the first one to use the rogue agent line?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The National reporter:

Interrogation gone wrong...

I've heard of cutting remarks, but not questions that can sever a femur.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Was Trump the first one to use the rogue agent line?

My guess is he was told this earlier and he's parroting SA's line

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Feels to me like they're going to punish the murderers for getting caught, and would also like an international PR boost for doing so.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one that read that tweet and wondered how Brian Stelter would hold the rogues responsible?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    MBS will use it as an excuse to murder more rival family members

This discussion has been closed.