As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Y'all are right about tripcaster overload. I did the first hunter challenges last night and for the tripcaster one, I just laid down 10 or so lines, then ran into the group of machines like a crazy person. They stampeded away and I got all 6 kills at once. Also did my first longneck.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Imagine how many tripwires it takes to bring a longneck down.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Y'all are right about tripcaster overload. I did the first hunter challenges last night and for the tripcaster one, I just laid down 10 or so lines, then ran into the group of machines like a crazy person. They stampeded away and I got all 6 kills at once. Also did my first longneck.

Ah that one with the herds. I hated that one because they would always book it in a random direction from what I expected.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    cncaudata wrote: »

Ah that one with the herds. I hated that one because they would always book it in a random direction from what I expected.

Yep, each of them took me two tries because of this. The challenge giver said something about using a slingshot to try to control where they go, but I don't have a slingshot, nor do I know how to make them run a certain way, so I just ran in and beat them with a stick until they ran off.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's verboten to link active Kickstarters here, but for those who might be interested, Steam Forged Games' KS for Horizon Zero Dawn has launched.

I'm not sure if I'm going to jump in feet first on this one; the core tier plus some of the add ons would get quite expensive, but I'm intrigued enough to keep an eye on it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I preemptively backed it just to keep an eye on updates for now. Honestly I think I just want the thunderjaw mini to have as a sweet sculpt on my desk.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    It's verboten to link active Kickstarters here, but for those who might be interested, Steam Forged Games' KS for Horizon Zero Dawn has launched.

I'm not sure if I'm going to jump in feet first on this one; the core tier plus some of the add ons would get quite expensive, but I'm intrigued enough to keep an eye on it.

... oh my.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I actually got in to using all the tools really late in the game. Which for me worked out well, because had I known the joy of tripcaster and slingshot earlier, I'd have been forced to farm a lot more materials than I did. A few times during Frozen Wilds I had to stop and go on a farming run for materials because, by that time, due to tripcaster and slingshot I was going through blaze canisters so damn much. As a note I started using these tools before frozen wilds, during the main story, but I had a reasonable surplus of materials banked up. Those stores dwindled rapidly though, and frozen wilds ate them up.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited September 2018
    So, I have been having success so far (up to first cauldron and killing the killers), but I feel like I'm doing it wrong? I am either stealth 1-shotting things, or I am beating the bigger things through sheer brute force.

Sawtooth have a canister under their body, but I can't seem to ever get a shot off at it, so they get shock-tripped and arrowed to death while I dodge around like an idiot.

I just fought a Bellowback that I think I put 5 triple-arrow shots into its back and still didn't explode that. I killed it before I was able to blow up any canisters or destroy any components.

So, am I doing something wrong? Do I need to use tear damage to destroy components? I thought that was only to knock them off. Bellowbacks just have "all" listed as a weakness, so I don't know what else to use there. Is there some tactic that would be useful to get shots at things' bellies?

cncaudata on
    There are certain skills that unlock time slowing when you aim, which also helps. Bellowbacks, IIRC basically use the opposite of their element. So fire attacks on ice bellowbacks, vice versa. Acid I want to say just explosions.

Tear helps with basically everything by getting armor out of the way too. I tend to start basically every fight with 1-2 tear arrows.

Some of the weak points are very hard to hit.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh word of caution on that kickstarter. A friend who keeps up with this stuff says the chances of it bring fulfilled are pretty low. Steam Forged have a really bad kickstarter track record, particularly with Stretch Goals. Might be worth waiting for it to hit retail.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I finally got a 4k tv that was also much larger than my previous tv and this was the first thing I loaded to see what the fuss was all about and oh... Oh my.

Also I've forgotten how to play and got killed very easily a few times

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I preemptively backed it just to keep an eye on updates for now. Honestly I think I just want the thunderjaw mini to have as a sweet sculpt on my desk.

There is a model up on thingiverse for 3d printing one out. Not sure on dimensions. Also you'd need to assemble and maybe paint it, if you are into that sort of thing.
    If you don't have access to a 3d printer and are interested, llsend me a pm and we can try and work something out.

PSN: jfrofl
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hoooooooly shit I need that just so I can sit and look at it same as the Dark Souls board game.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Oh word of caution on that kickstarter. A friend who keeps up with this stuff says the chances of it bring fulfilled are pretty low. Steam Forged have a really bad kickstarter track record, particularly with Stretch Goals. Might be worth waiting for it to hit retail.

That seems particularly pessimistic.

I have no dog in this fight other than wanting to see the game get released, but SFG is currently delivering their Dark Soul's game's second wave of shipping, and others seem to be getting progress as well.

I get that having multiple projects on the go can be a warning sign, and there should certainly be caution shown by any potential backers, but "low chance of fulfillment" doesn't quite compute. I'm guessing Sony wouldn't want a pile of bad press and bullshit in a year and a half, say, when the sequel to this thing is in the works or perhaps even on the cusp of coming out.

Kickstarters should always be "buyer beware", but while it's not Reaper or CMON, it's not like we're dealing with Palladium Books here either (fuck those guys).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    I’m well aware of kickstarter difficulties. Just leaving a warning from someone who has followed SFGs projects. Take it or leave it.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    You know, I love Alloy's basic look but goddamn, seems like every armor design that isn't her default outfit is just terrible.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    You know, I love Alloy's basic look but goddamn, seems like every armor design that isn't her default outfit is just terrible.

To be fair, creating outfits in this series is outright scary for me. It has to be equal parts Clan of the Cave Bear and Zoids. It's gotta be terribly frustrating to make different kinds of light/med/heavy costumes and armor without it eventually looking like you're cosplaying as a Dinobot the whole time.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I pretty much ran around everywhere in heavy Nora Protector.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Most of the outfits look better in motion than they do on the model in the menu screen

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Iunno, I like them. The ceremonial Carja armor with all the feathers (that I think I got from a quest? Couldn't find it in stores later) was particularly cool.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    The super shield armor was maybe the most disappointing thing i've ever seen. I get you don't want to mess with her hair because that's her iconic feature but come on at least do something.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    It’s a good thing I didn’t see that Kickstarter before. I would have jumped all over it since I missed out on the Dark Souls one (and boy, I’m not bitter about that at all!)

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Since this thread has popped back up, can someone give me a rough idea of how far through the game I am?

Main quest I just got is 'To Curse the Darkness'.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think that’s somewhere around 50-60% through the main game. It’s kind of hard to judge because there’s a lot of stuff that’s not strictly required but you’ll likely want to do anyway, like finding all the tallnecks and opening up the map and doing all the cauldrons.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Geez, thought I was getting closer to the end than that! I got the trophy yesterday for getting all the tallnecks, think I've got one cauldron to go.

Haven't done many of the Hunting Lodge trials yet but they seem fairly optional? Think I've completed the main quest from the lodge in Meridian though.

Edit: I also hit level 50 yesterday, which according to trophy percentages only about 20% of people do? So maybe in doing every bit of side stuff I've come across I've put off the main quest stuff a lot longer than most.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If you’ve done a lot of the side content, it will feel like you’re closer to 75%.

Especially because you’re overleveled now.

Hunting Lodge quests are fun but you don’t have to do them, they give you some nice weapons (I think some of them are 4-slot weapons instead of the usual 3)

You can also do Frozen Wilds at any time if you want, that’s probably another 20 hours of content at least though.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    At the very least it's worth it to do the opening bits to Frozen Wilds to get the spear that accepts upgrades. It's pretty much a straight run from the base camp there to the quest location.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The super shield armor was maybe the most disappointing thing i've ever seen. I get you don't want to mess with her hair because that's her iconic feature but come on at least do something.

Counterpoint: The shield armor is the best armor in the game, both in appearance and thematically.

Throwing this in spoilers, since the theme stuff is mildly spoilery:
    Whereas all of the other sets were tailored by other people and purchased by Aloy, the shield armor is Aloy's own work combining the ancient armor set with 'modern' leather-working. There's nothing about it that's over the top. It's a very neutral set, with nothing outrageous, and that's a good thing from my perspective. It's practical. It's very much an 'Aloy' set, reflecting who she is as a person.

The shield armor is a blending of the two aspects of Aloy. On the one hand, she's Aloy of the (and despite the) Nora tribe. The leather portions are in the Nora style, and basically represent the world Aloy has grown up in. The glimmer of the shield, and the mostly intact armor pieces, represent the other half of who she is: Elisabet Sobeck. The ancient savior of the world. It thematically blends those two ideas of her as a person.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    edited October 2018
    It doesn't look like the kickass power armor you've been seeing through a window and working towards the entire game. It looks like her normal outfit with plastic glued onto it. It's awful.

Aistan on
    It doesn't look like the kickass power armor you've been seeing through a window and working towards the entire game. It looks like her normal outfit with plastic glued onto it. It's awful.

It looks like her normal outfit combined with the power armor. It’s perfect.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have to disagree completely. The shield armor looks fine and works thematically. I have no real complaints about it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I was a little disappointed with the shield armor design for the same reasons Aistan was; I'd been staring at this super-cool looking powered armor whenever I went into the bunker and was excited to see how Aloy looked wearing it and if the game would have npc's make any comment on it.

Unlocked it and equipped it: "Oh, it's mostly just her default design with some armor pieces worked in. That's cool, and explains how npc's won't ask about the full body suit. *grumble-mumble*" The commentary on it being thematic and something She made for herself is really cool and fits, don't get me wrong. I did get over my disappointment, it was just built-up expectations and the immediate dashing of same.

I keep thinking I should go back and play a new-game+ to see this world again and go through the DLC content. But I never make the time. Always new games to play or stuff that needs to get done instead.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Counterpoint: The shield armor is the best armor in the game, both in appearance and thematically.

Throwing this in spoilers, since the theme stuff is mildly spoilery:
    Whereas all of the other sets were tailored by other people and purchased by Aloy, the shield armor is Aloy's own work combining the ancient armor set with 'modern' leather-working. There's nothing about it that's over the top. It's a very neutral set, with nothing outrageous, and that's a good thing from my perspective. It's practical. It's very much an 'Aloy' set, reflecting who she is as a person.

The shield armor is a blending of the two aspects of Aloy. On the one hand, she's Aloy of the (and despite the) Nora tribe. The leather portions are in the Nora style, and basically represent the world Aloy has grown up in. The glimmer of the shield, and the mostly intact armor pieces, represent the other half of who she is: Elisabet Sobeck. The ancient savior of the world. It thematically blends those two ideas of her as a person.

Aesthetically the shield armor is pretty boring. I used it on occasion but I preferred the heavy stalwart shadow armor—the one with the face mask and metal feather-like headdress. Looked cool as shit.

Goddamn I love this game. I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately, maybe it’s time to play it again.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    This game is good enough that it made me like Lairon more just because it reminds me of it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

If she was dressed as an Infinite Warfare character, every single instance of her interacting with anyone would just look weird.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited October 2018
    edit - probably a bad idea to kinda spoil another game

-Loki- on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

If she was dressed as an Infinite Warfare character, every single instance of her interacting with anyone would just look weird.

It would be kinda neat if Aloy rolled up to villages in this power suit and it would change the ambient dialog a little bit, maybe some off hand remarks from some NPCs.

“Holy shit what the fuck is that.”
    “Do they have human machines now?”
    “Burn it with fire!”

But yeah I get it, they just work with what they have and Aloy is not an artisan. So it would make sense if she looked a bunch of pieces of armor and was like “well, I guess I can make it work like this? I dunno.”

But looking boring is a major downside since it’s pretty overpowered. Plus, don’t you want to look good for Nil?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Nil is batshit crazy, no thank you.

Varl is ok but his mother is a psychopathic asshole so i'll pass.

Erend is my boy. Or Petra.

edited October 2018
    Nil is batshit crazy, no thank you.

Varl is ok but his mother is a psychopathic asshole so i'll pass.

Erend is my boy. Or Petra.

Ikrie is the second best living character in HZD.

(After Aloy of course.)

Shadowhope on
This discussion has been closed.