As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    *pushes up glasses*
    Technically the extradimensional space where the glyph is inscribed inside the bag of holding is not in fact moving in it's own reference frame.

yeah I guess it depends how you look at it. the location where the glyph is inscribed isn't moving, but the bag and thus the glyph itself is moving away from the location in realspace where you stood when you cast the spell, and the spell does say it ends if the object or surface the glyph is on moves more than 10ft away

so, edgecase, and rule of cool applies 100%

other option is to go inside the bag of holding yourself and cast the spell from within. a foolproof plan (until someone shuts the bag on you)

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Crusades session 3, I think?

Our semi-historical campaign continued last Thursday
    Last time we (paladin, cleric, barbarian and scout (me)) ended up on sea on our way to Cyprus, but our ship was attacked by ghosts (spectres and a wraith to be precise). Our paladin captured a magical scythe from the wraith that is probably cursed. We managed to defeat them despite two of the sailors dying and our ship being damaged. Our cleric repaired some of the magical rot, enough to make it to safe harbour just in time.

On Cyprus our main forces were gathering and we joined up again, but as we would be staying on the island for 2 weeks, we started to investigate the spirits that were infesting the seas around Cyprus (2000 men died on their way to Cyprus attacked by spectres, wraiths and so on). Or more accurately our paladin and cleric wanted to investigate, our barbarian went along and my rogue wants nothing to do with magic and spirits, but didn't want to be left alone. He also believed (INT9) that the spectres were after him, because he took a magic rosary from a corpse in the first session. He gave it to the Cleric as penance (the rosary is a spell focus with special powers, but there was no in-character reason to give it to him. Also my rogue had only met with the cleric on the ship). The cleric felt that it was a valuable gift, so he gave me a magic dagger in return (the probably cursed dagger that was used in the assassination attempt the cleric and paladin foiled in the first session).

We set out for a church on Cyprus to find out more about the spirits and learned that the spirits were keeping away from the main city/harbour/castle, but their presence was felt all over the rest of the island. Attempts to cleanse or destroy the magic scythe were unsuccessful. We did learn a bit more about the island and the existence of a cloister where a saint was entombed. We returned to the city where the barbarian got a new axe to replace the throwing axe he lost against the spectres and I added some silver arrows (some bought, some stolen) so I was a bit more prepared against supernatural threats next time. We returned to the castle as the cloister was more than a day travel on foot away. Our paladin summoned his steed, I managed to convince the leader of our army that the horses should get some exercise while on the island (and got paid for it).

Neither cleric nor my scout could ride, so our paladin convinced us to let him tie us to our horses. Our barbarian could not ride either, but wanted to try without help. During the trip, he fell three times of his horse, but he was more mobile than us when we were attacked by bandits. The bandits were of little threat though and being unharmed during the battle my scout is convinced that getting tied to a horse is completely safe and a smart thing to do (the cleric didn't even manage to slip his bonds before the fight ended and was uninjured during it, so he might feel the same.)

Arriving at the cloister of St. Mammes (look him up, he is the actual Patron Saint of Tax Evasion, so we ended up in cloister of a bunch of libertarian "monks" who act as tax consultants to the rich and powerful). Our cleric's and paladin's appeals to their piety didn't get us any entry, my offer of gold worked far better. At the end of the session, our paladin's sense evil detected that the cloister actually seems to be the source of the dark magic that we were tracking and we went down in the cellars of the cloister. At the end of the session we were in a long tunnel with bleeding walls, too cramped to continue, but blood was slowly rising from the floor. We haven't figured out to escape yet, though the walls seem illusionary; the magic dagger and scythe pass through them (though nothing else does) and the rosary even seems to dispel the wall if just for a fraction of a moment. There is an intelligent presence that is manipulating us, but it doesn't seem to be actively malevolent right now, just toying with us and mocking us. No clue how we're going to get out of this one.

All in all: we had great fun, all characters had things to do and my scout despite being not the most useful in combat against the spectres and wraiths, still was pretty useful in the non-combat and puzzle sections.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My god, I am envious of your campaign setting.

My idea of one based on Golden Age/folk myths The Netherlands has been gathering dust in the back of my mind for a year now. There's so many paths to explore and factions to consider. And all of that pales in comparison with the challenge of finding a group of players excited to play in that setting.

Oh and finding time to play the fucking game in the first place.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    With the Ravnica sourcebook coming out next month and like 6 planeshift supplements out im thinking I'm gonna start up 5e again and do a planeswalker campaign. I have enough time to figure out some super awesome abilities for when their sparks ignite.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    With the Ravnica sourcebook coming out next month and like 6 planeshift supplements out im thinking I'm gonna start up 5e again and do a planeswalker campaign. I have enough time to figure out some super awesome abilities for when their sparks ignite.

I've been doing this very same thing in prep for Ravnica.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I want a 5e high level (say 11 - 20) campaign set in the Planes with Sigil as the central hub, that i can chain my Strahd game into.

Make it so WotC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

I've been doing this very same thing in prep for Ravnica.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll want to start on Dominaria, since that has enough variety in racial options. Play out a story for the party and at level 3 have something massive set up that sets off their sparks. The sessions ends with the dust clearing and all the PCs being gone. Then we pick up next time and everyone is on Ravnica going wtf

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    My god, I am envious of your campaign setting.

My idea of one based on Golden Age/folk myths The Netherlands has been gathering dust in the back of my mind for a year now. There's so many paths to explore and factions to consider. And all of that pales in comparison with the challenge of finding a group of players excited to play in that setting.

Oh and finding time to play the fucking game in the first place.

Advantage of playing with colleagues, getting them all in the same place at the same time is the less of a problem, but still we have had to reschedule several times. (if it makes you feel better, this is the first group I've been playing with in 20 years, being unable to find a group till then).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm having a hell of a time setting up a mercenary group as the PC's main foes. They are called the Dead Eyes, a group of exiled Cyran military sappers who used Alchemy to mutate monsters as war tools. Some of their number have fallen in with the cult of the Cold Sun and are threatening life in Q'barra. The PCs are just now getting to Newthrone and discovering the scope of their operations. And to think this is just the level 1-5 badguy npc faction they will be dealing with. XD

It also allows me to throw cool variant monsters at the PCs. Like basilisks who have a ranged eye beam attack! CR adjusted of course. I allow my PCs to make Arcane/Religion/Nature rolls to figure out how the beasts have been altered. They are building a catalog of Dead Eye mutations and how to deal with them.

I'm so proud!

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Ye gods! I ran that IRL session of LMoP this afternoon and I was still kinda thinking about a Curse of Strahd pbp on the way home...

It was pretty great though. Five level 3 pcs talked for more than an hour planning on how best to handle the dragon. The session only lasted ~3.5 hours. I gave them fair warning that this would be tough, and they took it very seriously!

I was so impressed at the planning and precautions they took that, as a reward, I gave them the best case scenario on how the dragon fight would go.

They used their familiar to scout the tower and snuck in while it was off hunting. They got in, looted the treasure, took up a wide spread so they weren't bunched up and hid for an ambush. The familiar gave them warning when Venomfang returned. The dwarf cleric buffed two of them with protection vs poison and the Barbarian with Bless.

With a lot of hard work, some well placed sneak attacks and a tanking, poison resistant Dwarf cleric they managed to take it down! I went a little easy on them by dropping to melee range once the first breath weapon went off...but they worked really hard and earned that win. Very proud of the new players. Awesome.

• Options
    So weird, my LMoP campaign didn't have any dragons in it. Just a whole pile Dungeons and ampersands.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    That sounds awesome, Steelhawk

Why did he only Bless the Barb though?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

The cleric wanted to keep some spells in the tank. Particary the cure wounds so that even after the Barbarian was dropped to 1 after barely making the save against the breath weapon (thanks Bless!) After a spell and a potion, he could stay in the fight and not hide in the cottage like the wizard did.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »

The cleric wanted to keep some spells in the tank. Particary the cure wounds so that even after the Barbarian was dropped to 1 after barely making the save against the breath weapon (thanks Bless!) After a spell and a potion, he could stay in the fight and not hide in the cottage like the wizard did.

Bless applies to up to 3 characters with a level 1 slot. He could have blessed two more characters without burning extra spells.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, you are correct. I should have reminded them of that!

S'ok though. They still got it. :)

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Murder Hobo is me and my friends in pretty much any rpg ever. Doesn't matter what the story is, life (and murder) finds a way.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Tomb of annihilation is going great, I have some crazy random encounter tables with a few things inspired by chris perkins' game for sea voyage and the party got double zeros right away for the space encounter (they got a laser pistol now! it only has 9 shots left however)

-The party acquired a boat
    -They ran into a crashed spaceship in the ocean containing a hippo man
    -The ship was attacked by a being from the far realm, that they defeated with the help of the hippo man
    -The druid was devoured by a special kind of mimic and gained the ability to turn into a mimic at the cost of a wildshape (D&D beyond's new thing is great I just logged into the druid's character sheet and added "mimic" as a wildshape)
    -The party murdered someone for the zhentarim in mechanicus and made it look like modrons did it, there's a long story but he deserved it
    -They found the frost giant flagship, Druid wanted to approach it, the ship’s captain refused to go near it because it's suicide
    -They docked in a small fishing village positioned by a sunken city, destroyed ages ago by the ring of winter. A lone frost giant hanging out in the town and bullying people was tricked into being nice to them (I know in the actual module there's really no settlements outside of nyanzaru but not in my Chult)
    -The party ended just before heading into the jungle to take the two noble omuan children they rescued from hags to Kir Sabal, where they may be able to reunite them with more Omuan nobles
    -Only 8% of their new ship was disintegrated on its maiden voyage

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Todays luxury problem. DnD is proving a hit with my friends so the currenty party size is 6 players. I know one DM and four players is what most stuff is balanced around and I also know that the DMG has tables to figure out encounter difficultuy but its still kinda hard to get a good difficult encounter. How do you all handle a large party, more hp to the mobs or just add more monsters?

• Options
    Welp, guess Tycho is an oracle, now.

https://dndsports.tv/

Competitive DnD with team names such as Team Beholder.

I am not obliged to offer a nuanced opinion, so I hate it already. DnD is about roleplaying, when you make it a turnbased MOBA, you're just using the DnD IP for marketing purposes and it has as much to do with the game we love as the Neverwinter MMO has.
    Lind wrote: »
    Todays luxury problem. DnD is proving a hit with my friends so the currenty party size is 6 players. I know one DM and four players is what most stuff is balanced around and I also know that the DMG has tables to figure out encounter difficultuy but its still kinda hard to get a good difficult encounter. How do you all handle a large party, more hp to the mobs or just add more monsters?

More mobs, more multi-attacks, more options to split the party. The biggest challenge was to give everyone a moment to shine in non-combat encounters.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The thing I'm noting with that is... There isn't ANY hint of official recognition, aside from I guess Chris Perkins following their Twitter. No announcements, not even a hint of something on DnDBeyond.

I've a feeling this is an entirely 3rd Party affair, especially since by the sound of it... it's all done via Roll20.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    The thing I'm noting with that is... There isn't ANY hint of official recognition, aside from I guess Chris Perkins following their Twitter. No announcements, not even a hint of something on DnDBeyond.

I've a feeling this is an entirely 3rd Party affair, especially since by the sound of it... it's all done via Roll20.
    An article on it said that Beyond was sponsoring. https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/10/15/dungeons-and-dragons-competitive-tournament-/

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I would challenge the assertion that D&D is just about roleplaying. Competitive D&D has existed since the seventies, and the roots of the game were born in a competitive tabletop wargame.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there's absolutely a history and a place for competitive D&D.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, D&D has always had a big portion of "Super BOARD GAME" in it's DNA and in the player base. It's not a terribly interesting way to play, especially not in 5th, but it has always been present.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    But D&D Shouldn’t be an eSport?!

It’s not an eSport. We created something that would make competitive gamers feel safe and comfortable trying out D&D5e for the first time. It’s a new way to display the versatility of combat in D&D5e in a unique setting. We encourage you to respect the way different people play D&D because we know that this will be a fun event and there is no wrong to play D&D, as long as you are having fun!
    We’re also implementing MOBA-esque mechanics such as a Pick/Ban phase to help expand the strategy.

"You know what D&D needs? A pick/ban phase."

It's not April, right? This feels like an April Fool's joke.

Fry on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I'm cool with competitive D&D. I played some Lair Assault back in 4E days and it was really fun. Not exactly competitive but close.

But "the versatility of combat in D&D5e"?

https://media.giphy.com/media/jQmVFypWInKCc/200w.gifv

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I wouldn't like it if WotC started making competitive DnD a thing, but this seems like a seperate thing, so I don't mind

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    "I choose to ban Fighters, too OP!"

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wizards are not allowed.
    Warlocks are not allowed.
    Sorcerers are not allowed.
    Druids are not allowed.
    Clerics are not allowed.

Enjoy.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Bardic supremecy is maintained.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    everyone plays a 20 dex 8 wisdom rogue, expertise in stealth, no proficiency in perception

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    I'm cool with competitive D&D. I played some Lair Assault back in 4E days and it was really fun. Not exactly competitive but close.

But "the versatility of combat in D&D5e"?

https://media.giphy.com/media/jQmVFypWInKCc/200w.gifv

Fuck even I scoffed at that.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Like it seems that the way they are gonna control the fact that you can break the game in the build phase by having folks use pregen characters for the competition. Like there's 15 or so pre gen characters to choose from and you get to draft/ban like a moba.

At least that what the article made it seem like. I wonder if the pregen includes spell choice.

Like I could actually get into that kind of format.

Sleep on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wizards are not allowed.
    Druids are not allowed.
    Clerics are not allowed.

Enjoy.

Not quite in the same discussion but, a campaign I am in right now actually started with this condition, out of a desire for a very low-magic experience. It has gone on to be the best campaign I've been a part of.

Magic is overrated.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    How many people are Bards?

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I had a complaint sent to me about some magic items I placed into the game. Artifacts, which as we know, are not all cupcakes and candy, but come with black licorice and Peeps.

And when I say complaint I don't mean 'hey man, this doesn't look very fun' or even 'yeah, I'll pass on that particular item' but " ugh, these magic items overall are kind of like chocolate candy wrapped in shit"...

My feelers were hurt, no doubt about it.

I explained to him that magic has it's consequences and drawbacks but has anyone had this experience? I'm really confused at the reaction.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    How do you get into more than one combat per, uh, adventuring month, I guess?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »

Depends; how important is a given fight to you? Like if you want every fight to be serious buisness and for the party to not just face roll every encounter then increasing threat level can be a good thing by either adding more monsters, increasing damage out put, changing composition of your encounters to begin countering the party etc. This is actually critical for what I refer to as "set piece" monsters; a dragon dies pretty god damn fast when it faces a group of competent adventurers since the players will have more actions to deal with it.

On the other hand, if a fight (or combat in general) isn't that important to the narrative you are establishing with them, running adventures at par isn't a bad idea either and can actually be beneficial to the players growth by allowing them to explore less combat optimized characters.

Really, it's something you should experiment with and see what works for your group.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I had a complaint sent to me about some magic items I placed into the game. Artifacts, which as we know, are not all cupcakes and candy, but come with black licorice and Peeps.

And when I say complaint I don't mean 'hey man, this doesn't look very fun' or even 'yeah, I'll pass on that particular item' but " ugh, these magic items overall are kind of like chocolate candy wrapped in shit"...

My feelers were hurt, no doubt about it.

I explained to him that magic has it's consequences and drawbacks but has anyone had this experience? I'm really confused at the reaction.

What were the artifacts in question? What were the powers/drawbacks?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Kasyn wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wizards are not allowed.
    Druids are not allowed.
    Clerics are not allowed.

Enjoy.

Not quite in the same discussion but, a campaign I am in right now actually started with this condition, out of a desire for a very low-magic experience. It has gone on to be the best campaign I've been a part of.

Magic is overrated.

I hate common magic. Magic should be powerful but dangerous to use, or super powerful but require a lot of time and resources Conan the Barbarian style.

Kadoken on
This discussion has been closed.