As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Something telling me they are God is not scary!

But what if you sat down to have dinner in your isolated rental cabin at 6 pm and then suddenly it was 7:30 and something had told you it was God?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm on vacation up here in Cape Cod and I passed through the town of Barnstable yesterday, which looked exactly like the platonic ideal of a New England town right before Halloween
    Chilly, gloomy, way too quiet
    I took a bunch of photos with my instant camera and they all came out just slightly underexposed, no matter how I fiddled with it. Like the whole town just sucks up the light
    It ruled

I also hung out in the cemetery for a bit, which looked like Geralt of Rivia was gonna come through and fight a noonwraith at any second, and took some shots there, including of a big tomb built into a hill with no visible name on it.

I'll post them when I feel like messing with Imgur

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The top/all post on r/nosleep right now is actually pretty good, though weirdly not that scary

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    There's the No Sleep Podcast, but it's kinda hit or miss, Knifepoint Horror is pretty good and Campfire Radio Theater are the three I listen to the most. NoSleep has one of the most hilarious stories entitled, "My Anime Body Pillow".

I stopped listening after having to skip through the third attempt at turning a splatter movie into a radio play.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

But what if you sat down to have dinner in your isolated rental cabin at 6 pm and then suddenly it was 7:30 and something had told you it was God?

A god, maybe.

What? The bible leaves the possibility open!

He said "you shall have no other gods before me."

Not, there are no other gods. Just, "I'm El Supremo. Worship me!"

So all those eldritch gods... yeah, they probably exist.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So this weird cooking show popped up in Netflix. Its sorta like if Marylin Munster ran a boarding house. Its called the Curioys creations of Christine McConnell. Its fun if you want something spookyish for younger kids. Also theres a mummy Beerus

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So this weird cooking show popped up in Netflix. Its sorta like if Marylin Munster ran a boarding house. Its called the Curioys creations of Christine McConnell. Its fun if you want something spookyish for younger kids. Also theres a mummy Beerus

Marked that out the other day as something to put on if my wife feels like hanging out watching something; seemed like her kind of thing.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    What's the best creepy story podcast?
    I liked Alice isnt dead. Its one long story broken up into small chapters. Its available on Youtube if you dont want to download it. And It answers a very important question about chickens.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

There’s a lot of jokes about sex so I dunno how comfortable I’d be showing it to young kids, but it’s been a fun watch so far. After all the competition baking shows my wife and I watch, it’s nice to see someone take their time and be meticulous.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

A god, maybe.

It's even pretty explicit in the bible
    On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD.

Also a bunch of references to God ruling over a council of gods and passing judgment on them.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I can't stop listening to the Creepy Spooky Skeletons song remix over and over

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm on vacation up here in Cape Cod and I passed through the town of Barnstable yesterday, which looked exactly like the platonic ideal of a New England town right before Halloween
    Chilly, gloomy, way too quiet
    I took a bunch of photos with my instant camera and they all came out just slightly underexposed, no matter how I fiddled with it. Like the whole town just sucks up the light
    It ruled

I also hung out in the cemetery for a bit, which looked like Geralt of Rivia was gonna come through and fight a noonwraith at any second, and took some shots there, including of a big tomb built into a hill with no visible name on it.

I'll post them when I feel like messing with Imgur

@Grey Ghost Are you gonna visit the Edward Gorey house while you're there? You really should. Good creepy art in an old house surrounded by cats.

If you want some good Italian food the Four Seasons Trattoria in Yarmothport is most excellent as well.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Yarmothport is totally an old god name.

• Options
    I was on the way back from the Gorey house when I stumbled upon Barnstable!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

A god, maybe.

It's even pretty explicit in the bible
    On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD.

Also a bunch of references to God ruling over a council of gods and passing judgment on them.

What I'm guessing is that "God" was the Odin/Zeus/Jupiter of his particular pantheon and the Hebrew decided he was the only one they should pay attention to.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I liked Alice isnt dead. Its one long story broken up into small chapters. Its available on Youtube if you dont want to download it. And It answers a very important question about chickens.

Alice isnt Dead is good. It just ended season 3 and they put out a book as well.

Welcome to Nightvale is fun horror. It's more about a local radio news show that happens to take place in a universe where Lovecraft is the law of the universe. So it passes off all the eldritch horror as common place. For example a sentiant glow cloud (ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD) serves on the PTA.

Others I've come across is Tanis, Darkest Night, and Rabbits. They are all contained in universe story narrative podcasts that I've had come across my recommendation on Stitcher.

• Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

There’s a lot of jokes about sex so I dunno how comfortable I’d be showing it to young kids, but it’s been a fun watch so far. After all the competition baking shows my wife and I watch, it’s nice to see someone take their time and be meticulous.

Yeah episode 2 kinda upped the ante. Netflix has a generous definition of TV PG.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    On of my coworker's kids were in El Salvador with her husband recently. While down there her youngest used her husband's phone to play games all the time and also took thousands of pictures. As he was deleting the pictures, one came up of a pitch black room that was identified as taken from one of the beds because the mosquito netting is seen. Right on the other side of the netting are faint objects that kinda look like two glowing eyes and crazy buck teeth.

I couldn't be sure and thought it might just be the mind making mundane objects into a face so she sent it to me from the phone so I could see it on a monitor.

NOPE IT IS 100% A CREEPY FACE WITH NOSE AND GRIN AND EVERYTHING. She is pretty sure it is none of her kids since none have teeth like that and she was down there over the summer for a while and it doesn't look like any of the other children there. Also it was at night in a locked house.

She vaguely asked her youngest child about pictures, as she didn't want to show him the picture in case it might freak him out. She asked, "Did you take any creepy photos?" "Yes," he replied, "Of Chucky!"

Fuck me. I am going to die now that I've seen this picture. It is just sitting in my email right now. I could attach it but it's not my picture and I don't even was the look at it long enough to save it and post it.

According to my mother, I had an imaginary friend named Chucky when I was a little kid that I have no memory of, and more than one of my distant cousins had the same friend. So this post is a little chilling!

So two things. The picture was clearly taken without a flash but there should not have been enough light in the room for the phone camera at all.

Also her son has no idea about horror chucky nor knows anyone named chucky.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    On of my coworker's kids were in El Salvador with her husband recently. While down there her youngest used her husband's phone to play games all the time and also took thousands of pictures. As he was deleting the pictures, one came up of a pitch black room that was identified as taken from one of the beds because the mosquito netting is seen. Right on the other side of the netting are faint objects that kinda look like two glowing eyes and crazy buck teeth.

I couldn't be sure and thought it might just be the mind making mundane objects into a face so she sent it to me from the phone so I could see it on a monitor.

NOPE IT IS 100% A CREEPY FACE WITH NOSE AND GRIN AND EVERYTHING. She is pretty sure it is none of her kids since none have teeth like that and she was down there over the summer for a while and it doesn't look like any of the other children there. Also it was at night in a locked house.

She vaguely asked her youngest child about pictures, as she didn't want to show him the picture in case it might freak him out. She asked, "Did you take any creepy photos?" "Yes," he replied, "Of Chucky!"

Fuck me. I am going to die now that I've seen this picture. It is just sitting in my email right now. I could attach it but it's not my picture and I don't even was the look at it long enough to save it and post it.

According to my mother, I had an imaginary friend named Chucky when I was a little kid that I have no memory of, and more than one of my distant cousins had the same friend. So this post is a little chilling!

So two things. The picture was clearly taken without a flash but there should not have been enough light in the room for the phone camera at all.

I have friends who also hung out with Chucky! It’s fuckin weird!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    When I was little I saw a mouse go into a hole then the hole vanished . I told my Dad immediately so I know I was awake.

To this day I don't know what that was. Do kids just have vivd hallucinations?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    You kind of imply this, but I have to ask: does your dad remember you telling him?

Second question:
    are you sure he's your dad?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

Alice isnt Dead is good. It just ended season 3 and they put out a book as well.

Welcome to Nightvale is fun horror. It's more about a local radio news show that happens to take place in a universe where Lovecraft is the law of the universe. So it passes off all the eldritch horror as common place. For example a sentiant glow cloud (ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD) serves on the PTA.

Others I've come across is Tanis, Darkest Night, and Rabbits. They are all contained in universe story narrative podcasts that I've had come across my recommendation on Stitcher.

Tanis is set in the same world as The Black Tapes, which was a strong recommend up until it became the hardest non recommend I could possibly give. Some real good spooks, but yo it derails pretty fucking hard. Season 3 was a crazy give up moment.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Fucking Tanis

"What is Tanis?"
    Me: it's a place
    "It isn't a place, not really. It's not somewhere you can go"
    What yes it is
    "Maybe it's more like... a concept. A state of mind"
    No it's a place, you can go there, it's just a regular place why are you doing this

• Options
    You kind of imply this, but I have to ask: does your dad remember you telling him?

Second question:
    are you sure he's your dad?

I doubt it. Its one of those random memories that just sticks with you. Its still extremely vivid.

Also if not I dont know who to blame for this nose

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    When I was little I saw a mouse go into a hole then the hole vanished .
    UfFUbXO.jpg

Standard Silent Hill mouse. Do not be alarmed and hurry to a safe place before the fog rolls in.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fucking Tanis

"What is Tanis?"
    What yes it is
    No it's a place, you can go there, it's just a regular place why are you doing this

He's a half elf raised by the speaker of the sun until he was 'asked' to leave because of a young love situation with lauralanthalasa kanan

hero of the lance

etc. etc.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Fucking Tanis

"What is Tanis?"
    What yes it is

He's a half elf raised by the speaker of the sun until he was 'asked' to leave because of a young love situation with lauralanthalasa kanan

hero of the lance

etc. etc.

Pioneer of non-wizard beardy-guy in fantasy representation.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I was thinking of Patricia Tannis from Borderlands who is an insanely tragic character if you think about it for even a minute

King Riptor on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

My parents have a little house there. Yarmoth is the old god, Yarmothport is just the little piece of covered driveway that he pulls into when he visits.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I'm super-curious: when you say "it's a creepy face with nose and grin", do you mean "It's a human face (with perhaps unusual/exaggerated features)", or "It's non-human, but my human mind recognizes it as a face"?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dead Bart is the stupidest fucking story I've ever heard.

• Options
    Dead Bart is the stupidest fucking story I've ever heard.

Its to detailed and if you think about those details it falls apart.

Castaway cove by comparison is just sparse enough that you think "This conversation could have happened "

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

I'm super-curious: when you say "it's a creepy face with nose and grin", do you mean "It's a human face (with perhaps unusual/exaggerated features)", or "It's non-human, but my human mind recognizes it as a face"?

I think we need to see this picture.

• Options
    I need someone to see the picture and then describe it to me in excruciating detail, because I'm a wuss and don't want to see the picture myself but at the same time am consumed by a need to know what it looks like.

Forget the picture, I want the thousand words.

• Options
    Also I don't want timspork's ghost to become timspork's ghost's ghost because they had to look at the demon-photo again.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

a cousin got married there a few months back and I could not deal with the name at all

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

a cousin got married there a few months back and I could not deal with the name at all

When I read it, I can't not hear it in a pirate voice.

• Options
    I went to Yarmouthport today and climbed Scargo Tower
    This place is on some fucking Bloodborne shit

• Options
    Have any of the residents croaked?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Have any of the residents croaked?

You're in the know, right?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List