As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    It's better than most DC live action movies but not anything special.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I've been rewatching Starcrash because, just lol

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!"
    Bang!

edited August 2018
    "Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!"
    Bang!

I think you mean
    Bang!

Rius on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Do we have a list of the new films yet?
    Rius wrote: »
    I've been rewatching Starcrash because, just lol

I had never seen Starcrash before, that was like watching a fever dream.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The best part of Starcrash was then seeing Rogue One and the main themes were almost identical, specifically because it was an homage to Starcrash.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is the new death of superman animated movie any good?

Ummmm I may have been in the wrong thread.

BANG!

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    How are the riff tracks written?

I'm assuming it's not a done cold on a first viewing, but is it done impromptu by the actors on a second/third viewing, or are they scripted in a writers room, or somewhere in between?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

I'm assuming it's not a done cold on a first viewing, but is it done impromptu by the actors on a second/third viewing, or are they scripted in a writers room, or somewhere in between?

Usually they watched the movies in a combination of individual and group and come up with jokes on their own or as a whole and decide which get included.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I had heard in the MST3K days they just watched the film once dry, cracking wise and keeping the stuff that made everyone last. THEN they start writing the genius jokes, etc.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

It's a combination. Or, well, was a combination. I have no idea how the new seasons are being done but I imagine it's similar.

Incidentally I had a couple of friends that ended up running local movie rental stores and they both managed to put together a small section of these kinds of movies.

Turns out sitting around with your friends watching terrible (ly great) B movies and cracking jokes for a few hours while getting boozy is a pretty fun time.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You can tell most of the stuff that’s off-the-cuff rather than obscure references is directed at things that are ridiculous at a glance and they fill in the spaces with stuff they had to think harder about

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

It's a combination. Or, well, was a combination. I have no idea how the new seasons are being done but I imagine it's similar.

Incidentally I had a couple of friends that ended up running local movie rental stores and they both managed to put together a small section of these kinds of movies.

Turns out sitting around with your friends watching terrible (ly great) B movies and cracking jokes for a few hours while getting boozy is a pretty fun time.

In college we even had a decal of the MST crew silhouettes we could stick on the TV for this exact purpose.

steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I may just jump straight to Merlin.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Wrong thread, lol.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I got some rough financial news recently, so in order to keep my sanity I've had a little help from my robot friends.

I finished Beast of Hollow Mountain and Starcrash. Beast is a strange offering, because it almost feels like a 50's western love story that abruptly turns into a monster movie.

Starcrash was pure cheese popcorn and them making fun of the Southern accented robot provided some well-needed laughs. Christopher Plummer's dialogue made me want to fall asleep. Caroline Munro woke me up.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Is Starcrash the one where the female character is suddenly just randomly wearing less clothing?

steam_sig.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Is Starcrash the one where the female character is suddenly just randomly wearing less clothing?

No that's Into Darkness

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Starcrash is the one where she's scantily-clad basically from the word go.

Elvenshae on
    Starcrash is the first movie in a long while I was actually befuddled by.

edited August 2018
    Nah she definitely loses clothing twice early in the movie. The prison camp uniform! And then she regains full body latex when she's rescued by Tough Action Tin-Acton Southern Robot L.

Rius on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Starcrash and Carnival Magic (along with San Diego International Airport) are the only MST3ks I have not been able to make it through

edit: also the season 11 Christmas one

Xaquin on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You made it through Red Zone Cuba but not Starcrash?!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... how could you not make it through Starcrash?

The riffs are fantastic!

You made it through Red Zone Cuba but not Starcrash?!

Red Zone Cuba was amazing

Every time that guy trades his ring and someone riffs "what's the hole in it for?" I crack up

Elvenshae wrote: »
    ... how could you not make it through Starcrash?

The riffs are fantastic!

I couldn't follow it at all. TISCTSLABHMUZ was more comprehensible

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm watching Season 1, and my god, Robot Holocaust is terrible.

wVEsyIc.png
    Season 1 and 2 are pretty rough

Xaquin wrote: »
    Season 1 and 2 are pretty rough

I actually didn't mind the Commando Cody stuff much, but the movies? Woof.

wVEsyIc.png
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    The BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) have classified five of the six Season 12 episodes, and in doing so made it clear what films they are. So, with appropriate warnings, here be spoilers
    Experiment 1201: Mac and Me (1988)
    Experiment 1202: Atlantic Rim (2013)
    Experiment 1203: Lords of the Deep (1988)
    Experiment 1204: The Day Time Ended (1980)
    Experiment 1205: ???
    Experiment 1206: Ator (1982)

Whoa, those are all relatively recent

• dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    1202 seems like an odd choice, since it's obviously a
    mockbuster of Pacific Rim.

was also a relatively recent RiffTrax release. Not that double-dipping doesn't happen, but it seems pretty soon after. I thought Ator was pretty dull compared to Cave Dwellers; let's hope the MST3K riff is better.

steam_sig.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Can we hold out hope they watch the Japanese version with the original ending for maximum weirdness?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I'm pretty sure I watched that as a kid...
    Was it really that bad?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I watched it when I was 7 and yes, it was. Especially with the ET comparison, bad FX, trite story, it was not good.

I'm pumped for this season, my favorite episodes tend to be more recent-ish movies that try too hard and come up wayyyy short

Thinkin' Warwilf kinda shit

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    literally made my jaw drop. That's not just a bad movie, that's a legendarily bad movie. That's a step away from them doing Plan 9 or The Room.

I wonder if we'll get a Paul Rudd reference when they get to THAT SCENE?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    Paul Rudd has been trolling Conan for years. Every single time he’s a guest, he tells Conan he has a clip from his latest movie and it’s always the same scene from Mac and Me with the wheelchair kid falling off a cliff:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNzAgJMYVE

Lately he seems to have upped his game and at least starts the real clip before it suddenly cuts to the wheelchair cliff scene again.

He is an immortal national treasure

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I will be extremely disappointed if the riff during that scene isn't something like "this looks like every movie Paul Rudd has ever been in"