As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, and Michigan State : Sports Abuse Scandals

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I appreciate that Simone Biles rightly called them out on this shit and pointed out the stupidity of choosing someone who took part in the Nike protest bullshit. Under Armour walked away from them because of the Nassar taint, probably best not to be antagonistic to one of the other largest athletic gear companies.

The bigger point is that Bono "apologized" and deleted the tweet, which is something Steve Penny would have never done. It's clear that Biles is in the driver's seat.

Doesn’t matter. USAG protected a pedophile for years. They needed someone unimpeachable to take the reins and they didn’t do it, they went with someone political who had recently called out a large sponsor that USAG could have used.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Another day, another sexual assault scandal in Lansing:
    A Michigan State University medical resident charged with sexually assaulting two women at the Clinical Center forced them to watch videos of him masturbating, according to court records.

...He was suspended from clinical duties after the allegations surfaced, university spokeswoman Emily Guerrant said. The women were not Phinn's patients at the Clinical Center, MSU Police Chief Jim Dunlap said previously.

Phinn is charged with one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, two counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct, one count of assault with the intent to commit sexual contact, two counts of gross indecency and four counts of aggravated indecent exposure. He was charged Oct. 9, about a week after the women reported the assaults to police.

Sparty needs to clean their house in their medical school.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Also, it turns out that Mary Bono was a VP at the firm that did damage control for Nassar:
    But before Bono became president of USA Gymnastics, she served as senior vice president of Faegre Baker Daniels Consulting, a fact that was mentioned in the USA Gymnastics press release announcing her appointment.

What USA Gymnastics didn’t mention was that USA Gymnastics worked with a Faegre Baker Daniels employee named Scott D. Himsel to help the organization concoct cover stories to explain why Larry Nassar was not present at major competitions that took place in 2015 and 2016 in the run-up to the 2016 Olympics in Rio, including saying that Nassar was ill and that he was focusing on his “private practice.”

By doing so, USA Gymnastics helped Nassar not only avoid public scrutiny, but allowed him to keep working at USA Gymnastics member gyms and at Michigan State University, where he continued to molest young athletes. USA Gymnastics also did not add Nassar to its “banned” list, for people who are permanently separated from the sport for rules violations.

It’s not clear whether Bono was involved in helping concoct the cover-up, but as senior vice president, she was a high ranking person in the firm. In 2013, the firm described her role as utilizing “her firsthand media relations experience to advise clients on media and strategic communications matters.”

What the everloving fuck, USA Gymnastics? Can you not find a candidate that isn't compromised?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://deadspin.com/montana-school-district-denies-it-knew-about-athletic-t-1829785024

More sexual assault by trainers, this from a Montana Highschool? With perhaps the most awful defense of using made up chinese masturbation techniques to increase testosterone?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Bono resigned today, and complained "but Kaepernick got to do it!"

(Sara Boxer works for CNN: "politics & breaking news journalist // @cnn producer")
    Mary Bono is OUT as @USAGym interim president and CEO. In exit stmt, she defends her tweet marking out @Nike logo on her sneakers: "With respect to Mr. Kaepernick, he nationally exercised his first amendment right to kneel. I exercised mine" (tall image of her resignation letter)
    Dppy8GtWwAAH0jA.jpg

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    As I've said before, just fucking give Raisman the job.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Oh fuck off!

“Well this guy got away with X!”

Yeah, but that guy didn’t rape hundreds of children either.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You can tell your tone deaf when you complain your freedom of speech is being attacked when you direct it at someone who famously lost his livelihood for "kneeling". Swear to god these people are disgusting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Classic Republican response- find the most convenient target and pull the whatabout when called on whatever bullshit they're trying to pull. Give the job to Raisman like ebum says.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Furthermore, she wasn't booted because she marked up a shoe.

She was booted because she was involved in the cover-up of the sexual abuse of over 250 girls and women.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    "Whatabout Kaepernic?"
    "He got fucking fired. In the interest of being 100% fair and unbiased, there's the door."

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Two points:

1. she titles herself “The Honorable Mary Bono” despite her complete lack of honor
    2. It’s probably not a great idea for the head of USAG to attack a company that sponsors a lot of the athletes she’s supposed to be overseeing

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Two points:

1. she titles herself “The Honorable Mary Bono” despite her complete lack of honor
    2. It’s probably not a great idea for the head of USAG to attack a company that sponsors a lot of the athletes she’s supposed to be overseeing

The first is because she is a former US Representative,for whom that is the "proper" form of address.

As for the second, no, it's not, but it's also just part of why she was dismissed. The main reason was that she was an SVP at the firm that aided USAG in covering up Nassar at the very end, which had gymnasts infuriated over her appointment.

• Options
    Steve Penny arrested, indicted on felony tampering with evidence charges. He was the CEO of USAG and worked to cover up Nassar's involvement. This is in Texas, because the tampering took place at the Karolyi Ranch.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Apparently, Steve Penny schmoozed and all but bribed FBI agents during the Nassar investigation:
    A day after former USA Gymnastics CEO Steve Penny was arrested following a grand jury indictment for tampering with evidence in the investigation of Larry Nassar, the New York Times has a new report detailing how Penny behaved with the FBI as its agents looked into reports from gymnasts about the former national team doctor who sexually abused them. Penny, in the Times’s words, “sought to cultivate a close relationship with federal investigators,” and not only discussed media strategy with them, but also the possibility of a prestigious job at the U.S. Olympic Committee with one agent. From the report:
    [Penny] worried about the organization’s image and sought to cultivate a close relationship with federal investigators, going so far as to ask for their recommendations on the wording of public statements about the investigation, according to emails reviewed by The New York Times. In one email to an F.B.I. employee, he wrote, “We need some cover.”

Penny is utter slime.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    What the everloving fuck, USA Gymnastics? Can you not find a candidate that isn't compromised?

Likely not without having the whole house of cards topple the moment that the honest candidate gets to take a peek at it.

• Options
    It’s like some decadent royal court or something. Everyone knows where everyone else’s bodies are buried, so they are in this incestious feedback loop of having to keep propping each other up, but they are all monsters and bringing in not a monster will expose them.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    And in further "Steve Penny is scum" news, he gaslit a Nassar victim into defending USAG when everything was coming to light:
    "[Penny] contacted me at probably one of the most vulnerable times of my life," she said, noting that she was days away from taking the BAR exam, pregnant, working and taking care of her year-old daughter alone, while her husband worked overseas "for months on end."

"I hadn't even addressed or acknowledged my personal skeletons with Larry... I just felt indebted to [Penny]. Basically, because I was so vulnerable, he was able to manipulate me into just signing off on a statement that they drafted for me."

She said that she never heard from Penny again after the statement was released. According to Schwikert, Nassar abused her for the first time when she was 16 at the Olympic Games Training Camp at the Karolyi Ranch in 2000. She said she was assaulted more than 100 times until 2005.

Steve Penny keeps lowering the bar.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    It’s like some decadent royal court or something. Everyone knows where everyone else’s bodies are buried, so they are in this incestious feedback loop of having to keep propping each other up, but they are all monsters and bringing in not a monster will expose them.

It really isn't all the far from how many high schools and colleges run their athletic programs. And those are well known for being one step away from people acting like royalty.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It really isn't all the far from how many high schools and colleges run their athletic programs. And those are well known for being one step away from people acting like royalty.

Penn State being a high profile example of this, when Paterno went to bat for the sexual abuser and was punished students rioted. It was horrifying hearing what the victims who spoke out went through from the public since they dared stand up against Paterno's little empire.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Good. It is the least we can do.

Edit: This makes me so fucking angry, that we let a predator lurk in our halls for over two fucking decades.

Edit 2: Statement on the settlement from the interim president.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Lawyer for perv dean tells truth, gets fired:
    Three days after a lawyer hired to defend William Strampel said criminal charges against the former Michigan State University dean were unfounded because he was only following orders from MSU's lawyers, the university fired his firm from representing six other MSU employees.

It's a move experts said raised concerns once again about whether the school was more worried about its reputation than the truth. It also sent a signal to law firms being paid by MSU to represent its employees in various lawsuits and criminal matters: Toe the company line or risk losing a lot of money.

"It fits the pattern on MSU under (former president Lou Anna) Simon and (current interim President John) Engler — just run everything through the lens of protecting the university first," said David Jaffe, an attorney specializing in compliance and the former vice president, general counsel and secretary of Guardian Industries Corp. of Auburn Hills, as well as former partner in the law firm of Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn in Detroit. Jaffe reviewed correspondence obtained by the Detroit Free Press under an open records request between MSU and and the law firm at the request of the Free Press.
    After Strampel's arraignment, his attorney, John Dakmak, made his statement outside of the courtroom, including saying that the Office of the General Counsel was heavily involved in the Nassar investigation and follow-up. In doing so, he was, in effect, saying Strampel shouldn't be convicted because he was following the orders of the general counsel and others.

Emails obtained by the Free Press from a source inside MSU show that involvement. As reported on in May by the Free Press, at least two members of the general counsel's office were involved in the investigation, the protocols put in place and the plans for follow-up. The follow-up included new conditions for how Nassar could see patients. It's a matter of dispute over who was ultimately responsible for making sure the rules were followed.

Three days after Dakmak's statement, Clark Hill was told it would be replaced and all the employees MSU was paying for — except Strampel — would be placed with other lawyers.

MSU continues to fuck things up, news at 11.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So wait, they wanted him to not act in the interests of the person he was defending?

That opens yet another huge can of worms.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Three days after a lawyer hired to defend William Strampel said criminal charges against the former Michigan State University dean were unfounded because he was only following orders from MSU's lawyers, the university fired his firm from representing six other MSU employees.

It's a move experts said raised concerns once again about whether the school was more worried about its reputation than the truth.

The sad irony in this is that if MSU wasn’t so bad at at least appearing contrite. Their role in all of this wouldn’t be more than an afterthought at this point.

• Options
    UM assistant coach gets caught having sex with gymnast under his direction in public:
    Scott Vetere, 39, was arrested on Oct. 8 in the parking lot of an Ann Arbor apartment complex after police officers witnessed him and a female gymnast, 18, performing a sex act in a car, according to the police report.

Vetere was arraigned on Oct. 19 on the charges and will be in court again on Nov. 14.

The female gymnast also was arrested. Court records show she is also charged with committing an indecent or obscene act in public. She is scheduled for arraignment on Nov. 5.

The Free Press decided not to immediately name the female gymnast because of Vetere's position of power in the situation.

They really should drop the charges against her. Also, good on the Freep to acknowledge the power imbalance and protect her.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yuuuuuck welp time to write some emails

• Options
    Btw the article says he's resigned

• Options
    Suspended immediately and resigned during the disciplinary process, yeah.

• Options
    Someone with a small amount of shame in this thread?

steam_sig.png

• Options

Or the school gave him the business

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

Or doesn't have the position in the university needed to force them to cover up his getting a BJ in public.

Also, what was the cop thinking in this situation? Better cover my ass and arrest them both just in case the coach decides to accuse the athlete who's half his age and in his charge of blackmail?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Presumably didn't intuit the power dynamics and having sex in public is against the law, so. Hopefully the DA drops the charges though.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Arguably since she is of age, doesn't it fall on the DA to drop the charges rather then the officer to not make the arrest?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    RedTide wrote: »
    Arguably since she is of age, doesn't it fall on the DA to drop the charges rather then the officer to not make the arrest?

Officers have discretion too. However it's not surprising they were both arrested.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

Officers have discretion too. However it's not surprising they were both arrested.

I'd imagine that from the cop's view, it was just two adults doing something in public they weren't supposed to be be doing, so it's hard to fault them for arresting both. But now that all the details are out, the DA should really be pulling the charges.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    And the next Olympic sport to have a predator unearthed is skateboarding (trigger warnings for graphic descriptions of rape, suicidal thoughts):
    Julie Lynn Kindstrand Nelson was 14 when she first met Neal Hendrix in 2006. She was a talented amateur skater, and he was an X Games medalist. Kindstrand Nelson, who goes by Julz Lynn, said she idolized Hendrix from the start. He was a famous skater since his X Games days, and took jobs as an executive committee member of USA Skateboarding, an exec at Camp Woodward, and a sought-after skating broadcaster. Kindstrand Nelson befriended Hendrix when her grandparents had just died, and she said she was looking for skateboarding advice, as well as affection. That was where the trouble started.

According to a six-page letter Kindstrand Nelson wrote to the Costa Mesa Police Department on Oct. 11, Hendrix, who was 33 at the time, began grooming her for a sexual relationship. The letter is not a legal document, but rather he own story, in her own words. A few months before she turned 15, Kindstrand Nelson said that she would sneak out of Sunday school to call Hendrix, who would pick her up and drive her back to his apartment for “sex lessons.”
    Kindstrand Nelson had suicidal thoughts, and after she stopped seeing Hendrix in 2008, she said several pros stopped talking to her or working with her. As a professional, she had to compete at many events where Hendrix was working as a commentator, and she said he made a few more passes at her as the years went on. The 25-year-old finally decided to speak out after she said she saw Hendrix inappropriately touching young girls at an event in Idaho this year.

“I wanted to make sure that everybody in the skateboarding community is aware of what’s going on,” Kindstrand Nelson told espnW. “For so long, so many people turned a blind eye.”

Fuck. So many sports need their houses cleaned. And Ms. Kindstrand Nelson should be applauded for her courage.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    And now more information on how MSU screwed up the Nassar situation.

Strampel was a Dean of MSU (in a lawsuit right now), Kelley is an Associate Assistant Counsel at MSU (still employed), Moore was the Title IX investigator (works now as an Assistant General Counsel at MSU), and Kovan was the director of the clinic with Nassar (still employed and cleared).

After the Title IX investigation with Amanda Thomashow, changes were recommended:

Have another person in the room when treating a patient in a sensitive area;
    Modify the "procedure which caused the patient emotional distress because of her interpretation" and avoid skin to skin contact. If it's necessary, the procedure needs to be explained in detail;
    New people at the clinic will be made aware of the new requirements.

And all of this was surely followed up on and implemented?
    Strampel sent Moore Nassar's new protocols on July 30, 2014. Moore forwarded the email to Theresa Kelley. Kelley was and still is an associate general counsel for the university. Additionally, Moore now works as an assistant general counsel.

A day later, Kelley followed up with Strampel. Her email read in part, "I just want to close the loop on this matter. One of the recommendations of the I3's report was to ensure patient complaints of this type get referred to an appropriate person at the practice. Is that something you want to cover with Jeff Kovan or I can..."

Kovan was the director of the clinic at the time and still works at MSU. He was cleared by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs in July as part of multiple investigations into MSU officials.

The next email in the correspondence obtained from MSU came from Moore. Nearly a month after Kelley's email to Strampel she asked Kelley, "did you ever hear anything?"

Kelley responded to Moore the next day, Aug. 30, 2014, "Of course not.”

Wood TV asked if there was any other followup and MSU said they had to review all the emails and get back to them.

Everything about this screams that MSU doesn't want to punish anyone for their actions or lack of actions in the case besides Nassar. You fired the lawyer for saying that Strampel was following orders from MSU because you didn't like that defense. Nothing is changing and it makes me sick to my stomach.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    And look, yet another fucking predator in USAG:
    In the latest upheaval within USA Gymnastics, the national tumbling team coach has stepped down.

Sergio Galvez, who was hired as head coach two years ago and was scheduled to travel to St. Petersburg, Russia, with the team next month, was forced to resign by the board of directors after “allegations of misconduct,” according to the Orange County Register.

At this point, I'm for burning USAG to the ground, then reburning the ashes.

• Options
    Gymnastics' international governing body is really solving the important problems facing the sport. Gymnasts wearing cat makeup.