As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm trying Scholar version again. I have no idea where I left off...except I remembered I didn't do the Pharros Lockstone area. Rat went down way easier than the first time, and now I've opened a new area so I'm not totally lost.

I believe I had stumbled onto the first DLC area before I stopped playing. But immediately left because it seemed a bit too hard. Roughly what level should I be to give it a shot? I think there's three DLC areas and you open them at different points in the game, so I'm guessing I need to be higher level for ones I open later?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Apostate wrote: »
    In DS3 what's a good place to get sunlight medals? So far I've been using High King Wolinar since he's pretty easy to take down and it's a fast fight. Traffic isn't super high though. Any other suggestions?

SL50ish you can help with Pontiff Sulyvahn.
    SL55-60ish Aldrich or Dancer should get some summons.
    SL70s Nameless king or Lorian.

If you're a sorcerer build, Nameless is an easy summon, that's where I got the bulk of my medals. CSS wrecks him so hard.

edit: Even if you go over 70s, people really don't like Nameless king, so you can often still get summons in to your high 80s at Nameless.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    In the next week or so, I'll be updating my old G3258 to an equally old but stronger i5-4460 or i5-4690. Which means I'll finally get to enjoy DS3 without being haunted by CPU-induced crashes and frame rate issues, woo.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm trying Scholar version again. I have no idea where I left off...except I remembered I didn't do the Pharros Lockstone area. Rat went down way easier than the first time, and now I've opened a new area so I'm not totally lost.

I believe I had stumbled onto the first DLC area before I stopped playing. But immediately left because it seemed a bit too hard. Roughly what level should I be to give it a shot? I think there's three DLC areas and you open them at different points in the game, so I'm guessing I need to be higher level for ones I open later?

IIRC I would go after finding Vendrick/before the final Boss. You can probably go earlier but it's really up to you if you find it too difficult. Doing a quick google search some recommend it as early as after beating The Rotten.

• Options
    You need the Ashen Mist Heart to finish at least one of the DLCs, so that's usually when I do them.

• Options
    I can't decide whether to run a refined partizan then swap to the Ringed Knight Spear, or to run a faith build with a lightning partizan or saint bident so I can lean on magic to clear out part of the HP pool on those bosses where spears suck the most. Wish the RKS could be infused. Or that they'd brought back the Silverblack Spear from DS2.

Ah well, a Knight can respec to either without too much pain.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    And now, with Midir vanquished and the Frayed Blade acquired that I don’t even really intend to use, I’m done with the main game and all DLC. All rings from NG and all spells I can get without doing another round of transpositions have been acquired. Once I farm a bit to upgrade some weapons for variety’s sake, I’m on to NG+.

I know some people diss DS3, but it’s the first DS game I’ve actually completed. So that’s something. I’ll go back to my DS1 save if I reach a point in NG+ where it’s all too familiar.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Hey the DLC for DS3 is finally on sale on humble bundle. I can't believe it took almost 2 years for Ashes and over 1.5 years for Ringed City to get decent non-season pass related sale prices.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finally getting around to doing Ringed City. Managed to get to the first boss fight and one-shot it, not sure if it's considered an easy fight or not since you mostly hear about the dragon and the final boss.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So I decided to jump on that ps4 trilogy.

I guess it's a little cheaper if I had bought them separately... but I never had the DS3 DLC and never even owned the first two, so this kinda worked out for me as a latecomer.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    So I decided to jump on that ps4 trilogy.

I guess it's a little cheaper if I had bought them separately... but I never had the DS3 DLC and never even owned the first two, so this kinda worked out for me as a latecomer.

Be warned that Dark Souls 2 scholars edition is a very different beast from the base game. If you look up help or Walkthrougs make sure you look at the correct version. Also Dark Souls 1 is going to feel really weird to play after 3 I bet since 3 is basically a love letter/expansion pack to 1.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    The only thing that feels REALLY weird going back to DS1 is that you can only roll in cardinal directions while locked on in DS1, and you lose full roll functionality at a comparably much lower weight.

Other than that, and poise not being reliant upon weapon hyperarmor multipliers to be valuable, they're remarkably similar.

DS2 is the odd duck, read up on ADP and Agility before you start so you don't go insane.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Good to know for 2 - I try to play as much as I can blind but inevitably look things up so I don't miss bosses.

Hopefully it won't be too weird. 3 was kinda weird coming from bloodborne, but was good because I wanted it to feel different. I'd played sorcerer there so I'm planning to start 1 with melee of some sort.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Trying to remember other differences that could trip you up in DS1 specifically.

Ah right, in DS1 Endurance governs Stamina AND Max Equip Weight.

Some infusions have the same names but do different things from DS3. Lightning, Fire, and Chaos are fixed damage infusions, like Deep or Fire in DS3. Crystal is a weird high-melee damage infusion that makes your weapon irreparable. Faith scaling infusion is Divine or Occult, Magic infusion is Magic or Enchanted.

No respec.

Pyromancy scales only with your flame upgrade level and doesn't require magic stats at all except attunement for slots.

I can't think of anything else that's different in a 'trip you up' way. There are system differences but nothing where you'll be misled based on prior experience? Like Vancian magic instead of an MP bar or Humanity vs Embers, they're obviously different.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Chaos scales with Humanity to upto 10, it isn't fixed.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Chaos scales with Humanity to upto 10, it isn't fixed.

I mean, it's fixed at its 0 humanity or 10 humanity numbers for most players, isn't it?

Mostly I just didn't want to make an aside to explain humanity.

Anyway, just beat Gael. Died once to learn each phase, one more time to HUBRIS in phase 1, then got him.

Not looking forward to the dragon, I suck at fights with big things that mess with my camera.

• Options
    With Midir down (4 or 5 pulls, hitting is face is way easier than anywhere else it turns out), the only things I've never beaten in Dark Souls are Priscilla and Darklurker.

With that said, I want to poke at some lore with anyone still reading this thread.
    I saw this theory a while back that Londor is a nation somewhere in the future, in the time of the Dreg Heap and Soul of Cinder. Yuria and the pilgrims would be time travelers by this logic.

It seemed a bit silly, even if logically consistent, until I saw it includedin the context of the overall Dark Souls timeline (though that has some errors, like Oolacile being before the linking of the flame).

There sure is a lot of unexplained time travel in this series. AotA, the beginning of DS2 (arguable, admittedly), Ashen Mist Heart memories, the three Firelink Shrines, etc. In that context, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable, and all the evidence in that theory holds up pretty well.

On a completely different topic, did the Painter come from the egg? She has reptilian traits if you look closely and, purely from an imagery standpoint, the creator of the next world being born from an egg near the end of time makes sense.

• Options
    The painter has reptilian traits because she's just a lazy copy of Priscilla. But that's the boring answer.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Aistan wrote: »
    The painter has reptilian traits because she's just a lazy copy of Priscilla. But that's the boring answer.

I don't know about lazy. Her deisgn is pretty unique compared to the direct copy of Priscilla, Yorshka. If she's a half-breed there are going to be similarities, though.
    Actually, wasn't the Queen of Lothric (wife of noted dragon-man Oceiros) generally presumed to be Gwynevere? And the Painter's hair is actually quite similar to the Twin Princes'.

So I guess she could be Ocelotte or an unnamed sibling.

To reconcile that with my earlier theory that'd mean Gwynevere went to meet up with her youngest sister when she vanished. It seems unlikely Filianore herself was the Queen of Lothric, since the QoL-associated items are Gwynevere-style while Filianore items are stamina stuff. TBH at this point it's taking too many leaps to keep these theories together so I'll divide it.

1. Painter might be from the egg-thing Filianore had. This perhaps suggests being a half-breed daughter of Filianore, though with what father I'm not sure. Midir is around and Shira, Filianore's servant, thought well of him even though she asked you to kill him. I wish I could dig up the Mother of Dragons datamine stuff from back when Ringed City wasn't out yet, what did that end up being about?

2. She may be from the Lothric royal family, perhaps the real Ocelotte. Either Oceiros didn't know the gender, being a blind insane dragon-man whose wife disappeared with his youngest child right after its birth, or the Painter is biologically male but raised feminine for whatever reason like his/her uncle.

(Of course, that same potential origin works as well or better for Yorshka, who isn't unambiguously female either, especially with the associated context of being a moon-associated person raised by Gwyndolin)

Kamar on
  • Options
    I died more trying to fight Deacons of the Deep with a thrust-only spear than I did fighting the DLC bosses on my sword and greatsword characters combined.

:|

• Options
    My Solaire amiibo arrived today. I had completely forgotten I preordered it.

It's very neat.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

It's very neat.

Is he praising the sun?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's very neat.

Is he praising the sun?

You know it!

Also if you use it with your copy of Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch it makes your character praise the sun.

I do not own a Switch.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My switch broke down recently, just in time for Dark Souls Remastered!

I got an email about it launching today and it almost felt like Nintendo taunting me.

I'm mostly joking, I can appreciate the coincidence in timing. DS is the game I'd choose if I could only play one game ever again.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Because all it takes to amuse me is mention something I know about and enjoy, a random mercenary from AC: Odyssey:
    B25C5B6BDC5B4AC62CFD82FB16F4D78D61EB0B4D

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    DS3 NG+ is pure catharsis, so far. It’s like I followed all the game’s bosses into the deep, dark place where I sent them the first time around, and now it’s my responsibility privilege to continue tormenting their regenerated forms, like a reverse Prometheus.

It almost certainly feels easier in part because the DLC was quite a bit tougher than the base game, and that experience was fresh in my mind. The fact that my GCFO is scaled up to the point where I’m basically hurling main-sequence stars at my unfortunate enemies doesn’t hurt, either.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    When is the best level/time to play the DS3 DLC?

I haven't played since the game was first released so I'll just be making a new character. Also I'm taking build suggestions.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I haven't played since the game was first released so I'll just be making a new character. Also I'm taking build suggestions.

sl90+ would be your best bet

as for builds, while dark builds are amazing for most of the game it kind of sucks for the second DLC because everything is dark resistant for the most part. can't go wrong with a strength build really, two hand with 66 str = 99 str effectively.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

sl90+ would be your best bet

as for builds, while dark builds are amazing for most of the game it kind of sucks for the second DLC because everything is dark resistant for the most part. can't go wrong with a strength build really, two hand with 66 str = 99 str effectively.

Agreed.

Strength + Millwood Battle Axe is love and light and truth.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Going all-in on dex for certain sharp weapons can also net you really high damage. Its scaling is weak from like 40-50 iirc, but picks back up again going to 60 or 70 or even 80. It's equal to or stronger than other infusions on a lot of weapons, with the added benefit that you rarely lose more than 10 AR going 1h.

Like, Lothric Knight Sword at 18/80 is 463 pure physical AR one-handed, but 447 at 18/70 and 423 at 18/60.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    dex sags between about 40-60 but after that it's monstrous

i have a 75 dex build and the astora greatsword comfortably breaks 610 or so AR, putting it right up there with the profaned or fume knight greatsword

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Playing on the Switch get invaded in Sen's fortress. While i was using the vendor there.

It's the first time i have ever really felt bad for an invader because i managed to nail them dead on with a Greatbow arrow every time they tried to make the jump over to me. this went on for about ten minutes before they just quit out.

Now that i think about it this is actually not the first time that i have trolled an invader with a greatbow in a bottleneck.

Zunde on
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    Playing on the Switch get invaded in Sen's fortress. While i was using the vendor there.

It's the first time i have ever really felt bad for an invader because i managed to nail them dead on with a Greatbow arrow every time they tried to make the jump over to me. this went on for about ten minutes before they just quit out.

Now that i think about it this is actually not the first time that i have trolled an invader with a greatbow in a bottleneck.

My school of thought on invasions is anything goes. I'd rather die to the dumbest cheese imaginable over an instant disconnect.

I've been trying to farm covenant items in DS3 to get the spells and rings necessary for my last few achievements, and Farron at least is a miserable slog. I'm at like 16 or 17 turn-ins and I'm strongly considering waiting for full discovery so I can just farm swordgrass in PVE. Half the summons fizzle out, half of them plop me in and I can't find the host.

• Options
    When i did my Trophy farming for Dark souls 3 i 100% had to do PvE farming for every covenant drop and it was just awful complete shit from the butt.

Like blue summoning's were a laughable myth and if you tried to invade for tongues or shackles you always spawned into a host who had two phantoms with him it was just awful.

• Options
    I would rather grind enemies for covenant drops than engage with any amount of invading.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    As much as I've played Souls games, I think this is the first time I've finished a NG+ playthrough? Since I don't care much for 'the same, but it takes longer' as a form of difficulty increase.

Rushed through NG+ to NG+2 without doing Archdragon or the DLC, since I need the +2 rings anyway. 1-shot most bosses and spent 2 or 3 on Wolnir, Dancer, Princes, and Soul of Cinder. I hear NG+2 is the actual jump in difficulty, since you're not gaining much damage from stats at this point, even if you don't stick to the meta SL. I guess you could go way past so you hit softcaps for your weapon AND have enough for a strong buff.

If it gets too rough maybe I'll swap from quality or strength ultragreats to dex/faith sellswords.

Kamar on
  • Options
    It was the ring trophy that really busted my balls for DS3
    A ring gated behind Nameless king on Ng++ and he was an absolute ballbuster for me.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I'd like to avoid guides as much as possible but I'd like to know if I'm headed in the right direction.

I've rung the bell atop The Parish and I'm trying to head downward from firelink. But I keep getting swarmed by ghosts. I can kill them easily enough with transisant curse up but when they're swarming and coming through walls I die pretty quick.

I just want to know if I just need to push a little further or I need to head in a different direction.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    I'd like to avoid guides as much as possible but I'd like to know if I'm headed in the right direction.

I've rung the bell atop The Parish and I'm trying to head downward from firelink. But I keep getting swarmed by ghosts. I can kill them easily enough with transisant curse up but when they're swarming and coming through walls I die pretty quick.

I just want to know if I just need to push a little further or I need to head in a different direction.
    Different direction. Nudge in the correct direction in spoiler.
    Remember that bridge after the Taurus demon? There'd been a door you didn't have the key for. You ought to have its key by now.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
This discussion has been closed.