As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[College Football] I'M BIG COW AND I DON'T LIKE YOUUUUU

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    @ASimPerson Quick correction, I picked Georgia Tech to win so I should just get 6 points.

It says Duke in the form, so that's what you submitted. I can change it if you really prefer, though.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I love the fact that Oklahoma jumped UCF despite having a bye.

Wait, no the opposite.

It's fucking bullshit. They're just waiting for UCF to lose a game so they can dump them out of the top 25.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Wait, no the opposite.

It's fucking bullshit. They're just waiting for UCF to lose a game so they can dump them out of the top 25.
    Yeah, and one thing I don't know if people have noticed, is that there are three teams from the American that are in the top 25 and undefeated. UCF is in the top 10, but South Florida and Cincinnati are still in there too.

Of course, all three of those teams will play each other towards the end of the season, so they'll all do a pretty good job of knocking each other around/out I suppose.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Remember that whole "UCF just needs to go undefeated for two years straight to have a shot at the playoff" bullshit people pulled last year?

Yeah that goalpost looks totally moved

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I mean, the committee's ranking isn't out yet, and isn't effected by the AP poll.

The AP top ten also has multiple teams in it that will fall out due to their current scheduling/matchups. LSU, Georgia, and Alabama cannot all be playoff contenders. They only possible way it's Alabama/Georgia in it again is if Alabama gets to the SEC Championship undefeated and loses to Georgia, who doesn't lose another game.

Even then, I don't think the committee will let that happen two years in a row.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's the reason I will never be able to get fully into college football.

There's 100+ teams that basically have zero chance of winning the national championship before the season even starts.

Is Rutgers going to win a title in basketball anytime soon? No... But at least if they play well they are given the chance.

I understand it's 2 very different sports and I don't have a perfect solution but it will always sour college football for me a little.

• Options
    I think the CFP is the best answer to the question so far, but it needs to be more than 4 teams. If it was 8, or even 6, I think a lot of complaints would be alleviated.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I think the CFP is the best answer to the question so far, but it needs to be more than 4 teams. If it was 8, or even 6, I think a lot of complaints would be alleviated.

I think an 8 team playoff would be pretty hard to schedule around given the current circumstances, but 6 is totally doable and I think would silence most complaints. 4 is just not enough and leads to the pretty much instant stagnation we are seeing.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Wait, no the opposite.

Yeah, and one thing I don't know if people have noticed, is that there are three teams from the American that are in the top 25 and undefeated. UCF is in the top 10, but South Florida and Cincinnati are still in there too.

Of course, all three of those teams will play each other towards the end of the season, so they'll all do a pretty good job of knocking each other around/out I suppose.

AAC >>>>>>> ACC

AAC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> B1G West/PAC12 South

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    11 conferences. Why not just have the best team from each conference slug it out? Someone always getting a bye I guess.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Wait, no the opposite.

AAC >>>>>>> ACC

Iowa is really good. This is my current hot take.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    cursedking wrote: »

I think an 8 team playoff would be pretty hard to schedule around given the current circumstances, but 6 is totally doable and I think would silence most complaints. 4 is just not enough and leads to the pretty much instant stagnation we are seeing.
    Not really? I think if they co-opted the NY6 games, that would be 6 bowls right there. So you'd have the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Rose, and Peach Bowls as your settings, then bracket them however.

Now, if you mean so that the kids don't get their studies interfered with, then that's something different.

edit: You'd need 7 bowls, so add Liberty or something, or just repeat one of the other 6 locations.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Also; maybe don't put a bunch of ADs from Power 5 schools on the committee with a smattering of other random people with some marginally relevant football knowledge.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
  • Options

Wait, no the opposite.

AAC >>>>>>> ACC

That is a blazing hot take, friend.

They will probably be in the B1G championship game though, which isn’t at Kinnick...

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Wait, no the opposite.

AAC >>>>>>> ACC

Keep saying it, loudly. Maybe it'll confuse them and they'll think it's one of those "We're supposed to be good so let's play like shit" years.

• Options
    Columbus Dispatch is saying Bosa is done, focusing on the NFL.

• Options
    He's making a business decision, and good on him for doing so

I'm sure the majority of Ohio State fans will respond with appropriate respect and understanding of these decisions

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I wasn't boots on the ground for when Saquon decided to go pro instead of staying a PSU, but among all the people that I did see the response was basically "Yeah that makes sense"

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    It's the reason I will never be able to get fully into college football.

There's 100+ teams that basically have zero chance of winning the national championship before the season even starts.

Is Rutgers going to win a title in basketball anytime soon? No... But at least if they play well they are given the chance.

I understand it's 2 very different sports and I don't have a perfect solution but it will always sour college football for me a little.
    Wait, what?

If Rutgers has a magical season sometime and runs the table with a conference win (maybe even while dropping one), it's probably in the playoff.

60 or so teams have little to no chance, though. Really, it suggests the league could use a third division.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    I wasn't boots on the ground for when Saquon decided to go pro instead of staying a PSU, but among all the people that I did see the response was basically "Yeah that makes sense"

I dunno how plugged in you are, but what I was hearing in back channels from people back home and in the area was he only went pro because he was having a kid.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    He's making a business decision, and good on him for doing so

I'm sure the majority of Ohio State fans will respond with appropriate respect and understanding of these decisions

Actually I think most are fine with it. If he weren’t already injured, probably some meltdowns, but I actually think a lot of people are glad for him to protect himself now.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

I dunno how plugged in you are, but what I was hearing in back channels from people back home and in the area was he only went pro because he was having a kid.

Cue Saquan Barkley talking to high school kids about safe sex.

"I didn't use protection and had to drop out of school and get a job to support my family."

• Options
    I love internet insiders. Yesterday: Rashan Gary is going to follow Joey Bosa. Today, literally the same guy: Rashan Gary is full go in practice and will play Saturday.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    My insider connection says Rashan Gary is secretly a space alien and will return to his home planet before kickoff

• Options
    In other news, Satanic Witch Mark Dantonio has summoned up some garbage weather for Saturday.

• Options
    In other news, Satanic Witch Mark Dantonio has summoned up some garbage weather for Saturday.

Sparty by 2 given this

• Options

Of course.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    WEEK 8: OL' CRIMSON'S COMING HOME

Straight-Up
    Auburn (-3.5) @ Ole Miss - Auburn....may not be good. Ole Miss....may have an inflated record (wow, pick any year in the past decade and this statement could still work). Both teams need a victory to keep up in the SEC Wepfffttttahaha I'm sorry I almost was able to complete that sentence with a straight face. No, no both these teams are bad and should feel bad.

#20 Cincinnati @ Temple (NO LINE) - I assume Vegas is still out on what to think of Cincinnati. Their best opponent so far is probably still UCLA, who just won their first game of the season (to be fair, their opponents have a ridiculous combined record prior to last week) and this team is coming off consecutive 4-8 seasons, so no one really knows how good this team is. This makes it hard to say how they'll do against a much improved Temple team, which just went on the road to beat Navy, and has a B1G victory over Maryland, which I hear is a hard thing to do. For example:

Minnesota @ Nebraska (-4) - Minnesota, which does not have a victory over Maryland this year. Or Nebraska, which does not have a victory over anyone. They probably should have beaten Northwestern last week, but thems the breaks. I don't know what it says about these teams that Nebraska is favored to win, and I don't want to know. Next game please.

Southern California @ Utah (NO LINE) - Speaking of teams that no one has any clue about: Utah! The Utes lost back to back games against the Washington schools, but spent the past few weeks beating the ever-loving hell out of Arizona and *checks notes* Stanford? Huh, yeah they beat the hell out of Stanford! The Trojans didn't do that! USC has actually won 3 straight, though they've looked bad in the process, and Utah is not a pleasant place to travel to for a game. Bonus points: the winner of this game has the inside track on the Pac-12 South title.

Against the Spread
    #9 Oklahoma (-7.5) @ Texas Christian - TCU has lost a lot of sheen since that close Ohio State loss, getting beat down by both Texas and Texas Tech. The bad news is they now have to figure out how to stop Kyler Murray and the Oklahoma offense. The good news is they get to face the Oklahoma defense, which is actually just a series of Brian Bosworth standees assembled prior to each play.

#6 Michigan (-7.5) @ #24 Michigan State - Y'all Michigan is going to lose this game, aren't they?

#1 Alabama (-28.5) @ Tennessee - THE THIRD SATURDAY IN OCTOBER used to have meaning, but now it's just another excuse to watch Tua throw the ball a billion yards while the Alabama defense sits on their opponent and repeatedly punches them in the face. Sorry Tennessee, but thems the breaks.

#16 North Carolina State @ #3 Clemson (-17.5) - NC State is undefeated! Their best victory is a home victory over Virginia! Those two facts are not mutually exclusive in the slightest. Of course, they now face easily their toughest opponent in Clemson. Meanwhile, the Tigers are coming off a bye week after beating the breaks off of Wake Forest, so maybe they've reached the point of the year where they stop messing around and turn into a knock-off version ACC version of Alabama. This is still the ACC, however, so chaos remains the best team in this conference.

Memphis @ Missouri (-9.5) - What a weird game to be on the Week 8 schedule. Memphis came close to knocking off the defending national champions last week, while Missouri played a good enough game against pretender to the throne Alabama last week that Tua actually took a snap in the 4th quarter for the first time last year. Drew Lock needs a good game here, if only to try and salvage what feels like a fading draft stock, so we'll see what happens.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (STRAIGHT UP)
    #12 Oregon @ #25 Washington State - Oregon was in this spot last week, and pulled off the upset of Washington, so I'm going to skip talking about them for now, and instead focus on Wazzu. This is the first time College Gameday has come to Pullman, but Washington State has been a prominent fixture of the show for 216 consecutive episodes, as Ol' Crimson has flown in the crowd since October of 2003. In fact, this Saturday is the 15th anniversary of Ol' Crimson. Naturally, the Washington State community is handling the arrival of College Gameday in stride.

Pullman had to declare a state of public transport emergency due to the large amount of Wazzu fans expected to mob into the city for this. Unfortunately, there is also no possible amount of alcohol that will satisfy this crowd (in a perfect world, we are given a Wazzu/Wisconsin bowl game every year where the two fanbases drink cities dry each year). This is going to be fun to watch.

Go here to enter your choices: https://goo.gl/forms/sWeYHKKgotxkhxcv2

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Gameday finally going to Pullman is honestly one of the most heartwarming things this season

Im almost wanting to wake up early Saturday just to see all the ol crimsom flags

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Straight-Up
    Auburn @ Mississippi
    Cincinnati @ Temple
    Minnesota @ Nebraska
    Southern California @ Utah

Against the Spread
    Oklahoma (-7.5) @ Texas Christian
    Michigan (-7.5) @ Michigan State I think this game will be close
    Alabama (-28.5) @ Tennessee free points here I think. Hopefully won't eat my words
    North Carolina State @ Clemson (-17.5)
    Memphis @ Missouri (-9.5) Mizzou probably wins this but it's a tossup on if they cover or not.

Game of the Week
    Oregon @ Washington State home field advantage plus the magic of College Gameday means Wazzu squeaks this one out

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Can confirm that Cougar Nation is losing its collective minds

We finally got one, and it’s for a game that means something!

I was afraid that if GameDay ever came it would be a pity visit.

There are expected to be upwards of 70,000 people in Pullman on Saturday.

Martin Stadium holds just under 33,000.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Can confirm that Cougar Nation is losing its collective minds

We finally got one, and it’s for a game that means something!

I was afraid that if GameDay ever came it would be a pity visit.

There are expected to be upwards of 70,000 people in Pullman on Saturday.

Martin Stadium holds just under 33,000.

My best friend's boyfriend is a Wazzu alum.

He has made it known he will wake up at 6 AM to watch the entirety of Gameday (he's then coming out to the UCLA game with us, which kicks off at 7:30 PM and we start "officially" tailgating for at 1:30. He is going to die on Saturday and I'm very excited to watch it).

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There’s no way I’m getting up at 6 but I’ll record it for later.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    So Michigan stuff:

1) Dantonio is literally undefeated against the spread against Michigan.
    2) Logically, Michigan is basically better at every position except DT. WR if State was healthy, but they're not.
    3) Illogically, State is going to beat us. Because of course they are. And then win the Big Ten despite being mediocre at everything but run defense.
    4) The weather is going to suck.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    There's some argument to be made that NCSU@Clemson should be GOTW, and from a pure rankings perspective, sure. And we did put Oregon in the GOTW last week. But Oregon's only favored by 3 and Pullman is gonna be nuts, and with Gameday there, well, it wasn't really a question once I put the list together.

Also the picks only going up today was my fault. I've been much busier this fall than I usually am. Hopefully the bat-signal makes it easier for folks to get their picks in on time.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    It's ok, I'm pretty sure that statistically I would do better if I didn't make any picks.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Are we sure that 7.5 is the spread in Michigan-MSU, and not the over/under?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Are we sure that 7.5 is the spread in Michigan-MSU, and not the over/under?

That's 41, for the record.

This discussion has been closed.