As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited August 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to
V8rRcO0.png
Australia!

Australia's sons let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
VKu7IGF.jpg

We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
CWozWsB.jpg

Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
vw5cXZi.jpg

In hist'ry's page, let ev'ry stage
Advance Australia fair.
WsXqPwC.jpg

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.

atzC88o.jpg

Suriko on

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Everyone always forgets the second verse...

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
    aGtv2FG.jpg

We'll toil with hearts and hands;
    To make this Commonwealth of ours
    Renowned of all the lands;

JU3uz2j.jpg

For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

3A5d48q.jpg

With courage let us all combine
    To Advance Australia Fair.

YlzBDoh.jpg

In joyful strains then let us sing,
    Advance Australia Fair.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Suriko wrote: »
    Welcome to
    hJAQWOk.png
    New Zealand

TheyWe made this
    j8RYcQo.jpg

https://youtu.be/7xUYbI64QHI

discrider on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I think the thread title is a bit unsustainable. There's simply no way we get to 100 pages before there's another change of Prime Minister.

MorganV wrote: »
    I think the thread title is a bit unsustainable. There's simply no way we get to 100 pages before there's another change of Prime Minister.

I'm genuinely interested in how far we'll get before the next change.

I fully expect the Libs to lose Wentworth and be forced into an election.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just add an s to the end of the thread title.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The mystery of the leaker seems to have been solved. It looks like National MP Jami-Lee Ross was the one to leak Simon Bridges expenses.

The one thing I've learned from this mess is that the so called waka jumping bill is quite tough. If you're an MP, list or electorate, and you leave the party then you also leave Parliament. I understand leaving as a list MP, however I don't agree with the rule that an electorate MP is also out. The electorate votes for the MP, not the party, imo. While an electorate MP might fall out of favour with the party they were still voted in by their electorate and represent them in parliament. I would hope that in the by election the electorate would stick with who they voted for in the first place, but I fear that for most people they are voting for the party, not the person. And whichever party candidate stood against the now independent ex-MP would have a campaign advantage.

I'm wistful for pre-party politics and I don't think that party politics needs additional support. This seems like it will entrench the current parties.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The one thing I've learned from this mess is that the so called waka jumping bill is quite tough. If you're an MP, list or electorate, and you leave the party then you also leave Parliament. I understand leaving as a list MP, however I don't agree with the rule that an electorate MP is also out. The electorate votes for the MP, not the party, imo. While an electorate MP might fall out of favour with the party they were still voted in by their electorate and represent them in parliament. I would hope that in the by election the electorate would stick with who they voted for in the first place, but I fear that for most people they are voting for the party, not the person. And whichever party candidate stood against the now independent ex-MP would have a campaign advantage.

While that should be the case, I doubt that outside of particularly notable MPs, even a majority of people could name the party that represents them in their electorate, let alone the sitting members.

I'll be honest, I couldn't remember off the top of my head who my federal representative was, though I'd have gotten it on multiple choice. My state representative is easy (cause he's Premier), but I'd be surprised if half the people in the district could name him without a hint.

We've become too disengaged from our politicians, and they from us. There's over 200 federal politicians, and 128 state. And outside of the high profile ones, I doubt most people would recognize their names.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that my MP is Paula Bennett, National.

But she's a big name.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm not who sure the MP is for my area, but then I didn't vote for her. Damn vote splitting.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So it sounds like an interesting day down at the Beehive.

Apparently Ross has a recording of Bridges talking about the illegal election contribution, and photos of Bridges with the alleged Chinese business man who gave the donation.

Ross will resign from parliament and run in the by-election as an Independent.

Apparently Bridges and Paula Bennett accused Ross of some sexual misconduct allegations from at least 4 women, which led Ross to have a mental breakdown (his words). Bridges then start to the press that Ross was taking a leave of absence to deal with an 'embarassing' health issue.

Ross vehemently denies any wrong doing of a sexual nature and claims that Bridges will do anything to maintain power at any cost.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2018
    Is it possible to set up some kind of parliamentary censure for being a goddamn nuisance
    the world is burning down around our ears but sure, let's let pauline fucking hanson waste everyone's time proposing bullshit racist slogans

edit: In case any of you have the misfortune to be represented by one of these numpties, here's the people that voted for this piece of trash

tynic on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The back pedalling this morning has been immense and hilarious, with the excuse of "it was an admin error". Which is horseshit, given:
    Both Hinch and Di Natalie explained before the vote why this was so racist; and after the vote, several LNP senators tweeted in support.

And it's too late, since the conversation in the public is happening and converting people to white nationalism.

Fucking dickheads. I hope Wentworth is a bloodbath.

....regarding Wentworth, Scott this morning is talking about considering moving the Israel embassy to Jerusalem. No doubt due to the 13% of Wenworth voters with Jewish heratige.

Good God, the world SAW what happened when the US did it. The repurcussions are well known, any blood is on LNP hands.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The last couple of days has been so very obviously backpedaling to save Wentworth that I’m shocked (well, not really) that Labor isn’t calling them out on it.

-Loki- wrote: »
    The last couple of days has been so very obviously backpedaling to save Wentworth that I’m shocked (well, not really) that Labor isn’t calling them out on it.

Because Democrats in the US aren't the only left-of-centre political party that don't know how to set, maintain, and follow through on narratives?

But it does look like it'll be either a left-leaning Independent or a Labor candidate that'll take Wentworth. Morrison claims that'll destabilize the government.

My response? Good.

While I understand we vote for candidates, and the candidates make the party, and the party chooses the leader of the party, I REALLY despise the idea of unseating a sitting Prime Minister, and then just carrying on as normal. While the Governor General (or Queen depending on interpretation) is technically Head of State, the Prime Minister is the leader of the country. And that 43 politicians got to make that determination, should be seen as a f'n outrage.

That we haven't had a PM serve a full term in four election cycles (since John f'n Howard), is a national embarrassment.

If Ross has recordings, I would like to hear them.

edited October 2018
    In this afternoon's "well duh of course", Indonesia is pissed about the Israel comments, threatening to walk away from a free trade agreement with us.

The own-goals scored by the LNP keep on coming.

Edit: this has been walked back by the Indonesian trade minister. We do have a lot of other nations issuing us a "please explain" though.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2018
    I think that changing party leader of the ruling party should always trigger an election, except under extreme circumstances (ie PM dies or is arrested, etc)

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
    It's like the hard right vs everyone else rift in the LNP didn't magically fix itself after the ritual sacrifice of Malcolm...

steam_sig.png
    steam_sig.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

What was it? Two weeks Scotty was Prime Minister?

plufim wrote: »

What was it? Two weeks Scotty was Prime Minister?

From what I'm seeing, this doesn't affect Scotty. This is purely the National party, and it affects the Deputy PM (because that's the position the Nationals hold within the Coalition).

It's still a clusterfuck, because it shows that a significant minority portion of the Coalition is just as fucking dysfunctional as the core minority is.

But Scotty's job is safe for now. Though check again in two weeks, at this point.

edited October 2018
    Eh..
    It's more a return to form for the Nats, as the old deputy PM got pushed out because he impregnated a staffer and then shuffled her somewhere else so as to try and avoid notice, and now he may be making a second showing.
    And the Nats are losing support to the straight xenophobic party, so they probably need his 'charisma' back.

discrider on
    Barnaby's return to political power following his affair is absolutely staggering, due in equal parts to how unlikely it seems, and how unbelievably shameless and morally bankrupt these people here.

Suriko wrote: »
    Barnaby's return to political power following his affair is absolutely staggering, due in equal parts to how unlikely it seems, and how unbelievably shameless and morally bankrupt these people here.

They appear to be taking a page from the USA's Republicans. That you can only get shamed out of office if you allow yourself to feel shame. That as long as you hold fast to your convictions, deny whenever possible, ignore or deflect when you can't, and never show "weakness" (like shame), then for the most part, you're untouchable.

I'm hoping that's not where we're headed, but I'm really starting to think it's inevitable. We've got some safeguards that'll protect us longer, but the general apathy amongst the electorate for principle (over "what can I get for my vote?") seems to have us heading that way.

Not so sure...
    I feel like the electorate has been lied to too many times by the incoming government for people to care what the government promises.
    Barnaby at least moved a public department into his electorate, at great expense, to provide maybe one more Macca's cashier a full-time job as the influx of homeless public servants leeched the free wifi, so I think he's perceived as at least doing something for his voters.

And if the major parties are not going to do things for the electorate, then the farmers will turn to Hanson, who is all too happy to do something stupid.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So what's this now about us putting "Jesus Christ" back into the parliamentary prayer/opening thingy?

The radio was vague, and there's nothing in the paper. Just some random thing that wont happen, or something I should be concerned about?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Coalition default for the past decade seems to be "when in doubt, throw in some religion." I don't really know why.

Maybe it's less of a prayer and more of an exclamation. "Jesus Christ, this shower of incompetents!"

Looks like NZ is removing the prayer from the opening address or what have you, and there is a protest being organised for Oct 30 about it.

edited October 2018
    The opening prayer for NZ parliament used to name Jesus Christ and the Queen. It was changed last year I think?

When are they gonna remove Jehovah from the national anthem, that's the one that bothers me.

Gvzbgul on
    edited October 2018
    They have Howard out campaigning in Wentworth.
    Desperate times.

discrider on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Coalition default for the past decade seems to be "when in doubt, throw in some religion." I don't really know why.

Maybe it's less of a prayer and more of an exclamation. "Jesus Christ, this shower of incompetents!"

the coalition seems to think australians are way more into theocracy than they actually are. like they've copied the republican strategy of riling up the evangelicals without thinking for a second about whether it actually works in a country that is not america

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    They have Howard out campaigning in Wentworth.
    Desperate times.

Apparently they asked Malcolm to endorse their candidate but he’d have to include how they knifed him.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

the coalition seems to think australians are way more into theocracy than they actually are. like they've copied the republican strategy of riling up the evangelicals without thinking for a second about whether it actually works in a country that is not america

Sounds like they would love America because they're acting exactly like Republicans do with this mindset. Which is weird as Australia is nowhere near as fundamentalist culturally.

edited October 2018
    Kelor wrote: »

I think the person responsible for that quote should come forward, out of anonymity.

And be named Leader of the National Party.

EDIT: I'm kinda surprised at the lack of national coverage of this election. News.com and Melbourne's Herald Sun aren't really covering it. Sydney Morning Herald isn't either. The Channel 9 Website has one article. ABC has two.

Given that this isn't a trivial seat (in the sense that the Coalition are already on the razor's edge with Hogan), and it's not a safe seat (Turnbull won it comfortably, but with preferences both ALP and Phelps appear to have a 10pt lead over the Coalition, and so it's at least as likely as not to be one of those), and could all but force a general election, I'm honestly surprised at how little coverage it's getting.

MorganV on
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    This is amazing.

Site seems down at the moment, probably getting more traffic than ever before. (Edit: It's back up!)

Scotty Doesn't Know: prankster takes over Scott Morrison's website.

Apparently someone didn't tick the 'auto renew' option on their domain.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    edited October 2018
    ABC already wants to claim Phelps victory in Wentworth, 1 hour after vote close, based on the very large swing from some small electorates.
    Question is whether Phelps would vote for no confidence in the Liberals and get us a new government for Christmas.

discrider on
This discussion has been closed.