As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Seamline removal question: I’m using the plastic cement way to stick them together, but after sanding it smooth I still have colour discolourisations :sad:

Does that mean that I have to keep sanding till they’re gone?

So it’s the seam that is invisible, but where the glue touched the surface of the plastic.

Or is this discolourisation dependant on the type of plastic? Because I am trying to do it on some old kits...

Or does seamline removal always imply that you need to paint the model too?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    it is possible to do it without painting, but I've never managed it. If you use a buncha model cement and squeeze the parts like crazy, then they should melt and leave you with a little excess to cut off with a craft knife, and no trace. But again, I've never been able to pull that off. Usually end up with one side floating higher or something, needing putty and sanding, and then painting.

Oh brilliant
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Seamline removal question: I’m using the plastic cement way to stick them together, but after sanding it smooth I still have colour discolourisations :sad:

Does that mean that I have to keep sanding till they’re gone?

So it’s the seam that is invisible, but where the glue touched the surface of the plastic.

Or is this discolourisation dependant on the type of plastic? Because I am trying to do it on some old kits...

Or does seamline removal always imply that you need to paint the model too?

If you use putty you have to paint. If you just use cement you can get away without painting. Generally if you dont paint then seam lines are something you have to live with.

Newer kits are much better about not having bad seam lines.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    I told myself I wouldn't get into painting or heavy customization. I would just assemble, decal, mount on stands, and maybe light things up.

But then I remembered that Metal Warriors was a thing, and now I want to find a really chunky Zaku-ish guy with giant shoulder pads to redeco as the cover art mech from that game.

Maybe a 1/144 Zaku with 1/100 shoulders. Or an SD Zaku with a different head.

Damnit all.

8aVThp6.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Oh, and Metalstorm, I always liked the look of that mech. Something without a head for that, I guess. And a wingaling backpack.

God damnit all.

8aVThp6.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I think I brought up the same thing last Gundam thread. I'd absolutely love to have some models from Metal Storm and Metal Warriors (snes)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My store... It is overflowing with gundam and uggh. Choices!

4md5vNCh.jpg

YwXS6XWh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Great googly moogly don't ever let me in to that store I'll max out my credit card.

Curly_Brace on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Step 1: Get all the Haros.
    Step 2: Learn to juggle gunpla.

What the fuck Ath, my local store has like, 2 Gunpla. That they buy off Amazon and mark up.

Oh brilliant
    Heh. Thanks all. You made the store manager's day. He's a friend of mine who is huge into anime, toku / sentai, mecha, and all that. He brought gunpla into the store as an experiment about a year ago, and it's been selling like gangbusters. Like.. the oldest thing on that shelf are the two Broly figs at the top. As long as the product keeps moving, the store owner is fine giving him shelf space.

Sadly, the models I keep getting attracted to don't appear to have 1/100 MG variants. Notably, the Moon gundam thingy and the Psycho(?) Unicorn? I dunno, it's gold and has two shields with whips on it and like I said I like wings and mechanical fiddly bits.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think that's the Phenex Narrative. Both it and Moon Gundam are too new to have MGs, unfortunately. There aren't even MG kits from IBO yet. It takes a while.

Though Unicorn-era kits like the Phenex tend to be on the large side of HG, and Moon Gundam seems to be about halfway between HG and MG in terms of size and surface detail.

Renzo wrote: »
    I think that's the Phenex Narrative. Both it and Moon Gundam are too new to have MGs, unfortunately. There aren't even MG kits from IBO yet. It takes a while.

Though Unicorn-era kits like the Phenex tend to be on the large side of HG, and Moon Gundam seems to be about halfway between HG and MG in terms of size and surface detail.

Yeah. those are them!

... I know nothing about how gundam releases are chosen.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think they decide what to make models of by using a ratio of 50% what's popular, 50% having a balance of hero and badguy suits, and 50% what they can reuse existing molds for

BahamutZERO.gif
    Still a lil' bummed we're not getting a PG Nu Gundam this year for the anniversary. That and a PG Barbatos are my dream kits.

Oh brilliant
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    143999 wrote: »
    I told myself I wouldn't get into painting or heavy customization. I would just assemble, decal, mount on stands, and maybe light things up.

But then I remembered that Metal Warriors was a thing, and now I want to find a really chunky Zaku-ish guy with giant shoulder pads to redeco as the cover art mech from that game.

Maybe a 1/144 Zaku with 1/100 shoulders. Or an SD Zaku with a different head.

Damnit all.

@143999 If you're talking about the Nitro...
    cnqrlfyrisge.jpgoxcscsgnvi6i.png
    ccm0rdb8bpx3.jpg
    ...then a Xeku Eins from Gundam Sentinel seems like it might be a good starting point:
    v6gb9q9ixfeu.jpg
    It's got HGUC kits in 1/144th.

Not sure about kits to bash the M-308 Gunner from Metal Storm...
    z324ht4a4sco.jpg
    f25s0p9gp7lq.jpg
    ...although there's a pretty great Lego scratch build of it:
    ra30h7ts9gm5.jpg

...Also, since you're obviously a gentleman of refined mecha tastes, I feel I should point out that Cybernator/Assault Suit Valken (Japanese name) and its series have had official model kits produced for them.
    Valken:
    yt7mqwalz1o7.jpg
    Leynos:
    nf75kzi6d9lm.jpg
    Exzas (apparently these are from a tactical rpg spin-off for the playstation 1 that never got a US release):
    6mrcjyy5rwna.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    IS metalstorm the mech that can flip gravity?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    IS metalstorm the mech that can flip gravity?

Yes, but not like all gravity, just the gravity effecting itself.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    ...Also, since you're obviously a gentleman of refined mecha tastes, I feel I should point out that Cybernator/Assault Suit Valken (Japanese name) and its series have had official model kits produced for them.
    Valken:
    yt7mqwalz1o7.jpg
    Leynos:
    nf75kzi6d9lm.jpg
    Exzas (apparently these are from a tactical rpg spin-off for the playstation 1 that never got a US release):
    6mrcjyy5rwna.jpg

How nice of them, they made model kits specifically for me. I bet these are like a hundred apiece now.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Next time I stop by International Hobby, I should take some pictures. . . The guy who runs/owns(?) that shop also does custom motorcycle helmet paint jobs and has several of them on display.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Valken:
    yt7mqwalz1o7.jpg
    Leynos:
    nf75kzi6d9lm.jpg
    6mrcjyy5rwna.jpg

How nice of them, they made model kits specifically for me. I bet these are like a hundred apiece now.

Valken’s around $80 on US Amazon, around $55 plus shipping from Japanese exporters

edited October 2018
    Valken:
    yt7mqwalz1o7.jpg
    Leynos:
    nf75kzi6d9lm.jpg
    6mrcjyy5rwna.jpg

I fucking love the Assault Suits series' aesthetic. It's right up there with Dougram, Votoms, early Macross' destroids, and PGI/CGL/HBS' modern take on Battletech/Mechwarrior for some of my favorite mecha designs. I mean, stylized stuff like UC era Gundam is fucking rad too (especially the post-MSG OYW series like 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team), but there's just something about those gritty, grunty mecha that I adore.

I think that's a big part of why the Zaku II's such a perennial favorite among Gundam fans, it's got this great blend of stylized (like the round spiked shoulder pad) and crude (the tubing, mono-eye, olive color scheme, etc) aesthetics that really make it stand out. Dragonar (a very Gundam-esque series Sunrise made after ZZ Gundam, thinking it would take over from the older franchise) had some blended designs like that as well..

The Geyzam Geizum (Edit: apparently MAHQ had the wrong spelling for the name):
    z3y7p7cwma2s.jpget08u32utpeu.jpg
    The Dreu:
    0t9mtq1bjgdr.jpgk88nnau40rnu.jpg27q5isu115oi.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That's a nice kitbash using the Grimoire

edited October 2018
    Renzo wrote: »
    That's a nice kitbash using the Grimoire

Hah, yeah, didn't even catch that it wasn't an official Dreu model at first. Added a pic of one in-between the art & kitbash just for accuracy.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I like that Geyzam, I can just imagine the design meetings though.
    "So, we ran out of space in the ammo container...
    "You made the container bigger, right?
    "You know, now that you say that, it sounds like such an obvious way to take things, but...

I forget what the origin of Heavy Gear is, I wanna say it was at least sort-of a ripoff of 80's real robot mecha stuff like VOTOMS, but I've always loved that aesthetic of ugly, boxy, utilitarian mecha. Things made for war, things that break and need to be repaired, sure it's a box slap some armor on it and call it done.

edited October 2018
    I forget what the origin of Heavy Gear is, I wanna say it was at least sort-of a ripoff of 80's real robot mecha stuff like VOTOMS, but I've always loved that aesthetic of ugly, boxy, utilitarian mecha. Things made for war, things that break and need to be repaired, sure it's a box slap some armor on it and call it done.

Yeah, as I understand it Heavy Gear started as a tabletop game that definitely draws more inspiration from VOTOMS than the kinds of series Battletech was based on (you can tell by the smaller scale, roller feet, etc), then got adapted for a PC game series and CGI tv show when Activision picked it up after they lost the Mechwarrior license (FASA was establishing their own in-house studio to handle videogames of their stuff at that point).

Along similar lines, my favorite mech from Metal Warriors (that SNES game 143999 and I were talking about) was the Havoc (classic grunt; shield, machinge gun, crude melee implement, and VOTOMS roller feet):
    6t4tu805noqt.jpg

Interesting side note, Metal Warriors was developed by Lucasarts and only published by Konami. Which makes me wonder if the person who came up with this transforming ball mecha...
    4xknb58gcl48.png
    ...also designed this droid from the Star Wars prequels?
    rehiuz7w5ioi.png
    Maybe they work at Blizzard now?
    bzw1awy8wmtw.png

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited October 2018
    Along similar lines, my favorite mech from Metal Warriors (that SNES game 143999 and I were talking about) was the Havoc (classic grunt; shield, machinge gun, crude melee implement, and VOTOMS roller feet):
    6t4tu805noqt.jpg
    You're forgetting the best part! His melee attack is a big ol hook and chain!

I'm gonna play Metal Warriors after work today and nobody can stop me.

[edit] I got excited about Metal Warriors and only noticed you did mention that after I posted. Oops!
    While we're talking about SNES era mecha. Metal Marines is a damn decent game too.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
    Blah, been having this weird paint problem, where most of the parts come out with this chalky finish rather than shiny gloss

RVqvQmal.jpg

Top one is great, bottom is all chalky. I dunno what I did differently, short of maybe spraying harder on that top one? Maybe the primer was rougher underneath or something.

Oh brilliant
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I kind of found out Heavy gear was a miniatures game backwards
    I got the Jovian Chronicles RPG because I had no idea what it was. It lead to some rather bizarre theories as well. So pre internet I did not know the same company that made Jovian Chronicles made Heavy Gear I thought it was just a video game people would yell at the controls over.
    It was much much later I found out it was a minis game with lore

Speaking of models DP9 did do some for Jovian C
    Like the pathfinder
    7or2uf5krc60.png
    I still have it from when I bought it an epoch ago just like the thing from the Relic it's lived with it in it's box for a long time.

Part of me feels they missed out as what attracted me to Jovian C was the ships
    3dgwq489zt0r.png
    Asteroid miners
    gaw73oltw772.png
    and so on

I really feel there is a real lack of space ship models like this most are over the top or pulp sci fi or anime
    I wanted some like this semi future ones

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Blah, been having this weird paint problem, where most of the parts come out with this chalky finish rather than shiny gloss

RVqvQmal.jpg

Top one is great, bottom is all chalky. I dunno what I did differently, short of maybe spraying harder on that top one? Maybe the primer was rougher underneath or something.

Is it chalky or is it textured like an orange? If it's the first, try a different paint brand or shake the hell out of the can even more, as the paint isn't coming out fine enough. If it's the second, it's usually humidity.

Chalky or like really fine sandpaper. It's Mr Colour, I'm thinning it 2:1 with the official thinner. I sprayed indoors for the first time, bought a spray booth, so I had decent humidity - 40%

I think I might be spraying too light and it dries before hitting the plastic or something?

Oh brilliant
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    You might be spraying too close, or the thinner isn't mixed well enough. You can probably sand the paint lightly and touch it up as needed.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    finished assembly of my revive rx78 tonight!

pictures will have to wait til tomorrow tho cos it's late

uc3ufTB.png
    More progress! This feels... fast, because I'm not doing any panel lining of the black. It's tough, because there are SO many details...

But! I'm at another major milestone: The Zoid Core! I love lining these things.

And befitting this model's Bison / power image, the Zoid Core enclosure feels like the world's most MASSIVE V12 engine.

faAS0gdh.jpg

The neck's also done, along with some of the linkages that will hold in the main weapon. Next up is building up the body.

VtvyEEYh.jpg

"Hey... Hey! HEY EPYON!!!"

dnx2Aa1h.jpg

"... What do you want?"

jvapKQDh.jpg

"Give me my core back."

"...

No."

• LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    Straight build of the RG Sazabi done. Fun build, started about 5 hours ago, and took a few short breaks.

vatyq7ncor8d.jpg

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sazabi is a cool guy

BahamutZERO.gif
    Unfortunately its pilot was not.

But yeah, Sazabi is one of my top favorite psycommu weapon carrying mobile suits.

camo_sig2-400.png
    edited October 2018
    sazabi is a cool guy

Two local builders have finished that model this week. It is awesome.

... Damnit, my bison has (molded) leaf springs. wheeee....

Edit:

Here's one of the local Sazabi's, reposted with permission:
    Update on RG Sazabi: If you have the stands from the RE 1/100 Hamma-Hanma, the funnels fit in the clips perfectly. They can also fit a 3mm peg in the back, so HG-sizes action based would work too.

FA6eiESh.jpg

Anndd... well, the joints weren't that hard, I guess.

7VjH5AZh.jpg

Edit 2: Last update for tonight!

The front torso's done. Well.. except for the weapons unit and the legs, but.. Yeah. Torso!

yOkeRUch.jpg

... Which means... as foreshadowed in the instruction page in the back...

It's cannon time.

Lots.

And lots.

Of Cannons.

Athenor on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    was busy with halloween party things today/tonight so i couldn't take photos, but in the meantime, here is the best diorama ever:

uc3ufTB.png