As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cultist Simulator: Priest and Ghoul DLC out now! Anthology Edition available!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Looking forward to this, but I hope there'll be significant variety in the new stuff added. The three ascensions of the base game are really one path with three incredibly tiny variations.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You know, one thing I never figured out was how to use the one not-book book you could find. There was an old movie reel but I coupdn't figure out what to do with it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    You needed to buy a projector in order to view it, not sure if it was work or study that allowed you to spend funds to do so.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    You know, one thing I never figured out was how to use the one not-book book you could find. There was an old movie reel but I coupdn't figure out what to do with it.

I'm pretty sure it was no more complicated than just studying it? Possibly you had to throw a coin in as well to buy a projector?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

You just Study it together with a Funds. I guess to represent you buying an old movie projector so you can actually watch the thing.

Edit: Oh, wow, beaten like the Sun-in-Splendour.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    As usual this game is great at making me feel dumb and clever in equal measure.

• Options
    Well now I'm really looking forward to the Dancer.

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Moth and Heart temptations it seems.

Not nearly as lucrative a start as doctor, I'm actually low on funds. Painting seems slightly less lucrative now and I've actually gotten zero funds from it once. Don't want to do Glover and Glover though...

The temptations have a different path to upgrade so that's nice.

Banking vitality, etc. for stat ups is easier now - merge two into "lesson learned" and then use those for upgrades, they last 5 min each instead of three amd can be paused with painting and such.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Hoorah! Though just the new ones I presume? Or have they changed the old three as well?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Pretty sure the old three Ascensions still work the same way as always.

• Options
    Bah, got stuck at the last part of the ascension. I don't know enouhg about getting influences.

• Options
    There's a few ways to get the necessary Influence.
    You can paint using 4 Passion, with Moth/Heart Lore, and the Moth/Heart paint. This will give you the Moth/Heart influence you need (as well as a special painting and a bunch of Notoriety).

Talk with your Lantern Cultists about your Cult and they'll draw one random Influence. I've never done this myself, so I don't know what risks are attached.

There's a Moth 10 Influence hidden behind the Spider Door, in the Chamber of Ways.

• Options
    Dang I was doing really well exploring the new dancer content and then:
    Accidentally ended the game by marrying into wealth with my dancing benefactor. I think they should have made it clearer that that would be an ending! I thought it was just going to remove my money worries and leave me free to pursue my other interests on the side.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I appreciate that Dread and Fascination are easier to manage now.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Were there always multiple options for each dream level upgrade or is that new? There seem to be two lore flavours that work at each level now.
    Aegis wrote: »
    I appreciate that Dread and Fascination are easier to manage now.

What has changed there? Seems all the same to me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    If you get rid of a Fascination using Dread, the Dread now goes too. Previously it was just the Fascination.

Also, Fleeting Memories (or whatever it's called now, I'm not sure it's still the same), can now also get rid of Fascination. So you don't have to rely on your potentially dangerous Dread to get rid of it.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Fleeting Reminiscence, but yea, that's the best part since you generate those like candy.

Characters
  • Options
    Ah I see. Also:
    Most bad things can be used as dance inspiration to get rid of them.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Has anyone had any luck romancing followers?

I've got so far, but things seem to have petered out.
    She's interested, and we go on hot dates (which give nice memories to dream on) via slotting passion when time brings the appropriate event up, but nothing seems to progress. I can't talk to her about anything so i'm a bit lost.
    Unless I'm meant to slot dread on the romance event? No overt spoilers please, though subtle hints might be appreciated.

In other news, I have discovered that you can now raise non-aligned followers beyond 5th power:
    by giving them a tool. Not quite sure of the mechanics for the numbers but I gave a level 5 moth guy a level 8 moth tool and he came out as level 7. Which I'll definitely take as a win for expeditions.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Well that was quickest Exalt of a follower I think I've ever done:
    Promote follower to Disciple. 5 points of Aspect.
    Romance follower. +1 Aspect (6 points)
    Give follower a tool of the same aspect I happened to find. +1 Aspect (7 points)
    Happen to create a painting of the same aspect. +8 Aspect (15 points)
    Oh hey, now I just need a 3rd tier influence, that's easy. +6 Aspect (21 points)

Characters
  • Options
    Has anyone had any luck romancing followers?

I've got so far, but things seem to have petered out.
    She's interested, and we go on hot dates (which give nice memories to dream on) via slotting passion when time brings the appropriate event up, but nothing seems to progress. I can't talk to her about anything so i'm a bit lost.
    Unless I'm meant to slot dread on the romance event? No overt spoilers please, though subtle hints might be appreciated.

No, that's nearly it. There's one last bit, but it comes way later.

(Seriously, spoilers)
    Once you've fulfilled the requirements for your Ascension, the game will ask you if you really do want to ascend or if you want to stay mortal and live (happily) ever after with your partner.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    edit**** wrong thread

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Uuuuurgh. The end game grind hasn't been addressed much then, just slightly changed.
    I need the highest level of secret histories for the final sending. Seeing as any questing would be a gamble on gaining nothing whereas saving and combing my secret histories lore will get me there eventually, I'm just sat here throwing prisoners through the spider door over and over and over.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Uuuuurgh. The end game grind hasn't been addressed much then, just slightly changed.
    I need the highest level of secret histories for the final sending. Seeing as any questing would be a gamble on gaining nothing whereas saving and combing my secret histories lore will get me there eventually, I'm just sat here throwing prisoners through the spider door over and over and over.

I really need to write down where you can find the Frangikey. Or at least one of the mirrors, as spintria are easily obtained at that point.

• Options
    I need how much Aspect after getting a certain number of Marks? O_o

I'm so close too ARGH

Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I really need to write down where you can find the Frangikey. Or at least one of the mirrors, as spintria are easily obtained at that point.

Is it in a set location? I thought all the loot draws were random.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    That feeling when you had the way through a certain door for hours, but never realised it until you stumbled upon the realization doing something completely different.

Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    I need how much Aspect after getting a certain number of Marks? O_o

I'm so close too ARGH

For the enlightenment endings you get a lot of choice in how you get the needed aspect together. A maxed follower is 10 (and can now be higher I think), a max lore is 16 iirc? That's most of it done.

• Options
    Managed a heart ascent. And as per usual, by the end I was more relieved than happy as the progression loops spin out at least a couple of revolutions too far and the final steps require some serious luck grinding nonsense.
    Plus suddenly needing a decent heart influence at the end was a surprise as I'd got by fine without any special influences up to that point.

And what the hell is the point of the influence upgrade/subvert action? Even using 'talk to pause' (which this feature leads me to believe is intended rather than an abuse) the chances of getting two of the wanted influences active simultaneously seems astronomically small.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Died a few times playing the new stuff last night. I like that they've made it possible to continue being a cop after you make your first arrest.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I heard this game got kind of grindy and slow/was obtuse. Has that been improved at all? Thinking of getting it but probably would be more into Sunless Skies.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I heard this game got kind of grindy and slow/was obtuse. Has that been improved at all? Thinking of getting it but probably would be more into Sunless Skies.

It's quite grindy toward the endgame which I don't believe has been improved much by the DLC and being obtuse is basically half the game.
    If you enjoy the style of the prose in Sunless Seas/Skies then there's more of that here but the gameplay is much more more akin to Fallen London where you do A 3 times to produce things to do B which unlocks C so you can do that 6 times to do D etc.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Not that I can tell. The Dancer update has introduced a slightly different kind of grind, but a lot of the later game is still just cranking a lever until you get the payout you need. While remembering to water your plants occasionally.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Been playing this again.

Boy oh boy, i lose all track of time when i play this. i managed to forget to eat nearly all day... good for the diet, this game.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Been playing this again.

Boy oh boy, i lose all track of time when i play this. i managed to forget to eat nearly all day... good for the diet, this game.

Being obsessed to the point of physical effects is very on message for this game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Been playing this again.

Being obsessed to the point of physical effects is very on message for this game.

also i lost all my hair and my skin is slowly being shed off.

• Options
    Been playing this again.

also i lost all my hair and my skin is slowly being shed off.

Eh, could have been worse. Could've been other people's skin you're shedding.

• Options
    Some more Cultist Simulator content incoming (in a week). Still glad I got the Perpetual Edition, I think.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Cant wait to eat some folk :D