As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a new place to live

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
edited October 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
I've posted this elsewhere I'll post it here-

With the aftermath of Hurricane Michael and the attitude of the landlords about the damage to this trailer I am looking to move as soon as possible.
During Hurricane Michael this trailer lost a lot of structural integrity.

The underside insulation has been shredded. The wind comes through the bathroom, during the storm itself the wind was coming up from the bathroom floor into the trailer.
The trailer has tilted and the roof is starting to bow in on itself. There are dips in the floor and walking from the back end to the front feels like walking up hill.
I told the landlords this when they showed up to check on their properties and not only did they refuse to look at it they got extremely hostile about it and said that nothing changed and everything is up to code.

With the next tropical storm already setting up to take the same path as Hurricane Michael I do not think this trailer will survive another storm. The main problem is I have no form of transportation, at least not one that's reliable or can go long distances.

ceres on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Not sure where you are seeing the next tropical storm, since there aren't any at the moment: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

But yeah, that sounds like a situation to get out of. Does your lease have a clause that would release you from your dwelling? Or are you just looking for a place to live while you pay the duration of your lease?

I'm not in the panhandle, but you might want to share some details about what specific region you are in to see if someone is in your area. Michael hit a very large area.

Enc on
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Not sure where you are seeing the next tropical storm, since there aren't any at the moment: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

But yeah, that sounds like a situation to get out of. Does your lease have a clause that would release you from your dwelling? Or are you just looking for a place to live while you pay the duration of your lease?

I'm not in the panhandle, but you might want to share some details about what specific region you are in to see if someone is in your area. Michael hit a very large area.

I am around the Georgia/Florida line in Grady County.

The lease says I can cancel at any time at but forfeit of deposit which I guess is fine. I just wanna move, preferably room with someone so expenses aren't as rough too.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you can't hold someone to a lease if the property is uninhabitable. You don't forfeit anything. Talk to a lawyer.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Even in these circumstances, you aren't really allowed to use H/A to ask people if they have room. :/

You can ask to be pointed to resources to help you out, and that's about the best we can do.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Does the OP have renters insurance, this is a good time to see if there is coverage.

Depending on the state, some don’t allow the landlord to charge rent if the house isn’t habitable. Check with lawyer etc.

• Options
    ceres wrote: »
    Even in these circumstances, you aren't really allowed to use H/A to ask people if they have room. :/

You can ask to be pointed to resources to help you out, and that's about the best we can do.

Oh, all right well, close this if ya want.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Does the OP have renters insurance, this is a good time to see if there is coverage.

Depending on the state, some don’t allow the landlord to charge rent if the house isn’t habitable. Check with lawyer etc.

Or at least put the rent into escrow to be on the safe side.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Might be a good idea to take pictures of the place if you can just to have if needed sometime down the line