As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    We’re haxing an issue since updating to iOS 12 where texts to and from my wife and daughter are showing up on the same text thread. It’s not a group chat thing... when my wife texts me, her messages show up in a thread like usual with her name and contact shown at the top. Then when my daughter texts me, the messages show up in the same thread, only now the name and contact at the top changes to my daughter. When I text either of them back, it only goes to the last person who messaged me.

Apparently it’s a known but not widespread issue, and has to do with all three of us sharing the same iCloud account. Looks like we’re finally gonna have to create new accounts for each of them and start using the family sharing thing. Still, we’ve never had issues before, so kind of annoying we have to mess with this now.

There's something in the Settings where you can disassociate Messages from sharing across devices, which may be what you need? We had something similar-ish happen with my wife and I, although I don't think it was quite the same.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am pretty sure this bug is tied to the security change where apple won't allow USB devices to work on iPhones / iPads unless they have been unlocked, as a means to combat some of the newer means to crack phones that law enforcement is using.

Personally, I would be fine with the lightning port being useless unless the phone is unloacked purely from a security perspective, but I am sure they can figure out a way to make that true and still allow for power.

Yeah a lot of people are reporting it won't charge at all, locked or not, and quite a few people see it start charging then it stops charging after the screen goes black.

There's also reports of it happening on older devices like the 8 so I'm fairly confident it's software and easily fixable.

"Dammit you, I said CHARGE" has been an intermittent thing for like... Years now, for me. Mostly iPhone, but to be honest I can't think of a single device I haven't had to smack around now and then.

This and the beauty filter for selfies you can't disable.

Ahh new versions of operating systems are fun!

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Apple: It Just Doesn’t Work Except For Very Specific Cases We Can’t Replicate Outside Of The Lab

They need to lose this stupid obsession with making the IPhone ultra thin and ultra light. Quit removing stuff that works in favor of experimental sci-fi boondoggles.

There is a key logic to making the phones lighter and most manufacturers are looking at ways so people can hold handsets for prolonged periods of time without strain. One way of doing this is to make it lighter and thinner.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Apple: It Just Doesn’t Work Except For Very Specific Cases We Can’t Replicate Outside Of The Lab

They need to lose this stupid obsession with making the IPhone ultra thin and ultra light. Quit removing stuff that works in favor of experimental sci-fi boondoggles.

There is a key logic to making the phones lighter and most manufacturers are looking at ways so people can hold handsets for prolonged periods of time without strain. One way of doing this is to make it lighter and thinner.

There comes a time when sacrificing everything at the altar of Thinnenlite becomes problematic.

Take the i9 MacBook Pro or any PC laptop with an i9 and a thin form factor. These laptops have issues, to the point where they aren't technically thermal throttling under load but they're running under 100% capability and still in the 90°C range even under normal workloads which is not good for device longevity. The i7s do not have this issue.

No, we don't need a return to the days of inch thick laptops or half and inch thick smartphones. But also, we really don't need to go much thinner than we already are at. Once a phone gets too thin, you start having issues holding the thing. And once a phone gets too light with our current tech, it means you're sacrificing usability.

• Options

There comes a time when sacrificing everything at the altar of Thinnenlite becomes problematic.

Take the i9 MacBook Pro or any PC laptop with an i9 and a thin form factor. These laptops have issues, to the point where they aren't technically thermal throttling under load but they're running under 100% capability and still in the 90°C range even under normal workloads which is not good for device longevity. The i7s do not have this issue.

No, we don't need a return to the days of inch thick laptops or half and inch thick smartphones. But also, we really don't need to go much thinner than we already are at. Once a phone gets too thin, you start having issues holding the thing. And once a phone gets too light with our current tech, it means you're sacrificing usability.

The only exception to this is though that when the iPhone 8 was released, the handsets were thicker and heavier compared to the 7. Even the latest handsets are heavier due to the reinforced glass used on the front and back. If you look at the X and the XS are highly regarded ergonomically the best handsets you can use.

As for the laptops, there is a massive market for regular travellers who want usability but also want thin and light even if it means making sacrifices elsewhere. I know since I have to commute on public transport to work having a laptop that is light is a must have.

• Options
    I have no problem with options. There is a market out there for travel-based tech, a huge one.

But we're getting the backwash from that in every other part of the industry because thin and light has been paired with "better" by marketing.

There are real issues with thin tech that exist because of it's dimensions, and a similarly large market that does not care about portability but requires usability and features is now getting jammed into the thin and light ideology and is suffering as a result.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I have a 15" MBP at work, the kind w/ a touchbar. Holy hell am I glad it's that light, not only for shoving in my bag on a daily basis, but juggling it, a coffee, and my phone while trying to find that one conference room. The weight/size is seriously amazing as far as I'm concerned, and I certainly have no power complaints. That aren't my own fault for managing to run all the cores like that, I mean.

Edit: tl;dr I like thin. Thin good. Light good.

dporowski on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular

The iPhone has been progressively getting a little bit thicker every year, actually.

We’re talking 0.Xmm though. But they are trending towards thicker phones year over year.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

The iPhone has been progressively getting a little bit thicker every year, actually.

We’re talking 0.Xmm though. But they are trending towards thicker phones year over year.

Yeah I mentioned it in my last post. However, the drive for lighter phones is based on trying to enable people to hold and use phones for longer periods of time.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    This is weird. Since we upgraded (from 6 to Xs) and switched (from T-Mobile to Verizon), my wife is having issues receiving messages from non-iPhone users.

Since her boss is one of those people, this is a problem.

I checked our phones side by side, and all message and data settings are the same.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    You can get a 5W one for 20 bucks.

...and I figured I might as well have one at work too so now I'm at 100% battery when I go home.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    This is weird. Since we upgraded (from 6 to Xs) and switched (from T-Mobile to Verizon), my wife is having issues receiving messages from non-iPhone users.

Since her boss is one of those people, this is a problem.

I checked our phones side by side, and all message and data settings are the same.

Solved. She had to talk to Verizon to get some under the hood stuff reset.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ok why does Apple have to fuck with things just to fuck with them

I was used to the time being top center and they moved it to top left

I was used to swiping up from the bottom to get the toolbar and they moved that function to swiping down in the top right corner

And what’s this “measure” native app? Who was asking for that?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ok why does Apple have to fuck with things just to fuck with them

I was used to the time being top center and they moved it to top left

I was used to swiping up from the bottom to get the toolbar and they moved that function to swiping down in the top right corner

And what’s this “measure” native app? Who was asking for that?

It's to accommodate the iPhone X, mainly. Swiping from the bottom is how you activate the gesture nav, and the clock had to move for the notch.

The Measure app is a proof of concept for AR, while simultaneously rendering a whole class of apps in the App Store completely redundant.

• Options
    What’s AR?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Augmented Reality.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Augmented Reality. Using camera measurements,etc to project things over the live feed. Think Pokemon Go.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    What’s AR?

Augmented Reality. Superimposing digital stuff over the real world

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Augmented Realty

• Options
    Great, more shit nobody asked for

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone else preorder the iPhone XR? I ordered a yellow one to replace my wife’s 6S, and really curious to see how it feels in person.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Nobody asked for the Compass or the level app either, but it is there, because it is kind of useful to have a compass/level/measuring tape in your pocket.

Pretty much every major tech company (Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, Samsung, Facebook, etc) are investing a ton into this because these proofs of concept are pretty compelling.

Maybe you don't care about AR now, but it will be like any other technology where you didn't care about it until it just becomes an accepted part of daily life.

2020ish there is going to be dedicated hardware for AR from apple and google, and a wealth of apps courtesy of all of us technically having SDKs for it in our pockets right now.

Things are gonna get interesting.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I thought the measuring app was dumb as well. Until I was on phone with support and needed to measure something and the choice was either go looking for my measuring tape or use my phone to measure. It was pretty easy to use.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i don't really trust it to get me as accurate measurements as physical measures (yet) but if I just wanna eyeball something, it's just fine

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was a good half an inch off when measuring something for delivery, which is...not great.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Pretty much every piece of tech that's a daily part of your life started life as "shit nobody asked for".

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    New iPad pros! New Apple Pencil! Kinda wish this was the first version, really. But neat, all around.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Love the potential of USB C on the new iPad Pro, especially if they keep to the promise of directly hooking up devices to it. Having a Sony A7 MK3 or a Portable SSD direct connection would be a game changer for me.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    iPhone 6 won't take or hold a charge - I was convinced it was the charging port being dirty or broken. Took into Apple store, guys says let's try a new battery but if a new battery doesn't work you need to buy a new phone. They replaced a battery. I thought they would look at the port while they were at it or just tell me that the fix wasnt working before giving it back to me. Get it home - it's still fucked. So I guess what I'm asking is - what's the most cost effective way for me to stay in the Apple ecosystem i.e. what new phone should I buy.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If the charge port is dirty you can fix that yourself with a toothpick.

• Options
    Trust me I have gotten all up in there and the Apple store didn't see anything either.

• Options
    Dumb question: did you try a different cable?

• Options
    Yes. They couldn't even get it to charge at the Apple store.

Anyone have any opinions on what the best bang for my buck is on a new phone? Buying one in the afternoon.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My wife has been really happy with her iPhone 8. She upgraded from a 6s when the new stuff was announced this year so got the decent price drop.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    The 8 probably presents the best value. The A11 chip is still a beast and will last you at least another 3 years, if not more.

Buy refurbished from Apple for even more savings.

Or an iPhone X if you want the better screen and gestures.

KPC on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I bought these USB-to-USB C adapters so that I could back up my iPad to my PC. They arrived today, but they don't seem to be working at all. I've plugged the cable from the iPad properly on both ends, but I won't even get the Windows sound for plugging/unplugging a device.

I'm on Windows 10, am I missing something here? Do I need to do some sort of configuration, or should it have worked right out of the box? If these adapters are just a piece of shit, can anyone point me to ones that should work (and are the same price range)?

• Options
    Decided to go get some food.

Went to plug headphones in. Into my new iPhone 8. For a solid four or five seconds.

... I forgot.

Otherwise it seems like a somewhat heavier somewhat faster iPhone so that's good?

• Options
    august wrote: »

Went to plug headphones in. Into my new iPhone 8. For a solid four or five seconds.

... I forgot.

Otherwise it seems like a somewhat heavier somewhat faster iPhone so that's good?

Heavier is the glass back, I prefer it on the iPhones now because it feels a bit more substantial than what the 7 was.

Otherwise, even though I ordered the new iPad Pro 12.9 and pencil, I went into Apple today to try one out (mine isn't due for another week). The thing is pretty impressive especially the weight which now feels fully usable. I was a bit let down though that there was only the apps out of the box to try out (no demo of procreate or Office for example) which made trying out the pencil a bit of a pain. Otherwise I'm very happy and excited to try it out properly next week.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good resource for iPad-formatted wallpapers? I rarely change my screens because I cant find any that look good in both landscape ame portrait mode.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

... I forgot.

Heavier is the glass back, I prefer it on the iPhones now because it feels a bit more substantial than what the 7 was.

Be careful with this though. There is precisely no one (including apple) doing consumer-level repair on those glass backs because of the way they designed the camera bezel.

The only people doing it are refurb centers (because it involves grinding off metal bits and then re-spot-welding a new one on) which means if you break the back glass, you either live with it, or trade the whole device for a refurb.