As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2018 Pre PAX Drinkies - Done for another year!

feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
edited October 2018 in PAX Australia
It is upon us.. Excitable?, twitching?, dreading queues?

What you need to know::

Who:If you read this you are invited.
Where: Transport hotel at Federation Square
When: 7:00 pm, Thursday 25th October but check twitter, we will tweet where we go.

Twitter: #paxbeer so you can find us as the night progresses.
Map: Heres a map

I intend to start around 6, and get a bite to eat, so if you want to catch up earlier, ping me.

Traditionally this has been a very safe and friendly meet up of a bunch of like minded peeps.
Gamers of all walks of life having a brewski or two and just hanging out.
Come on down and meet some people if you're on your own at Pax this year!
Its super weird when you see them wandering round looking lost a day or two later.
Just look for the nerdy T-shirts. badges, handheld games and beards.
Lanyards, and last years badges are a dead giveaway.

Itinerary:
7:00 - 8:30 - Transport (Fed Square) as its nice and central to public transport.
8:30 - An unnamed drinking establishment, let the peeps decide.
9:30 - Bartronica !!! it is awesome you will love it.

All welcome, post here and let us know if you are coming.

Cheers, Feral.

- Just the Friday for me this year, just bought a new house, funds pretty tight until wife stops being a stay at home mum.
Really hope some of the regulars can make it again!

(We did this last year, the year before and the year before and the year before, AND the year before...)

2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014

posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
feralmaster on

• Dark KingDark King Registered User regular
    I'll be there.

• AidiandAidiand Registered User regular
    Im too much of a shy person, Im coming alone this year. So whats it like for someone who doesnt like adventuring out.

• tomandjebinspacetomandjebinspace Registered User regular
    I'll see you guys at Bartronica!
    I was the one with red hair that got 2 of you to join me in espresso martinis and y'all called me thug life because of my tattoo.
    Can't wait!

• Dark KingDark King Registered User regular
    Aidiand wrote: »
    Im too much of a shy person, Im coming alone this year. So whats it like for someone who doesnt like adventuring out.

The pre-PAX drinks are great for shy people, because you're going to be in a group of people who are very much like you.

Come and join in. Have a drink. You'll feel like you're at home within minutes.

• PlasmanPlasman Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hoping to get along for the first time this year. Since it's just myself from PER and a mate from ADL (instead of our usual large mob of mates) hopefully we have the energy and inclination to attend!

Plasman on
    I will be coming, Hopefully im not too awkward

• DinnyDinny Registered User regular
    Aidiand wrote: »
    I will be coming, Hopefully im not too awkward

You'll be fine, fit right in :)

• feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    It's always kind of strange @Aidiand but everyone finds something in common to talk about. Personally I.ve met a bunch of really interesting people, can't remember their names, but always remember faces. Have a look back at some of the previous years threads, I'll link them in the parent topic at some point, there's photos.

Here's a brief roundup of my experiences from the last 5 years:

- guy sharing his VR phone app for feedback
    - @CarrotTop , she has a YouTube channel, and anxiety, but she's kinda cool
    - A dude that does weapons systems and gamifies war for the defence forces
    - A crazy guy called @FuzzyPredator who is an enforcer, he gets quite drunk
    - Dude with a media pass who takes great photos, I think we share the same name
    - American couple who seem to go to every PAx
    - Board gaming types (not sure I understand them)
    - People who play Dota who discuss why it's better than LOL
    -

List goes n..

Well, I'm going to come and break my comfort zone, Extremely nervous but excited

• JinOhChoiJinOhChoi Launceston, TAS, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    First time at PAX, so tis could be fun too.

Signature.png
    Great to see some new faces this year! I would expect there will be some regulars too.

• friesekefrieseke Registered User new member
    This looks like a great time. I would love to tag along with a group. I am an Omeganaught so I probably won't get too out of hand, but I would love to get some Pre PAX brews with you fine folks.

• Zelda4014Zelda4014 Miss Auckland, New ZealandRegistered User new member
    This will like it will be interesting, it will be my first time at PAX and overseas. Despite coming over with another Kiwi it might be nice to get to know some of you.

If you want to find me on the web, here’s my linktree: https://linktr.ee/zelda4014
  • SuperRoachSuperRoach BallaratRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Its about that time again! and yay @Feralmaster :)

My only beef last year was that bar tronica doesn't really care much about us at night time, and switched off that person who was about to get a sweet score on the shooter point blank game. The good side is they are close for many people, but maybe if GGez is open this year.... I dunno. I'm in regional vic and really depend on a Melbournite to show us around to the more awesome places :)

Oh and some random highlights:
    • At transport bar, having a large bunch of people forming and then one of them bought a random from a previous event and their tales of getting free wine tastings at said previous event. He had so many funny tales!
    • The american couple if it's the one I'm thinking of were so cute! I think they just got engaged right before their pax trip last year?
    • The absolutely legandary pub crawl of 2015 (first year of exhibition). There was so many people that it just worked.
    • Enforcers in various states of drunkenness. @FuzzyPredator is my spirit animal.
    • Spotting any of them during PAX itself! I do wish I'd have more to talk about, sometimes I feel so awkward!

I'll be there again this year, similar predicament as Feralmaster but its my first extended time away in a loooong while so I'll be at pax thu-sunday.

SuperRoach on
    @SuperRoach T'will be great to catch up :biggrin:

For the rest of you, I've finally got around to linking the post to the relevant info....

and here's some mentions...

@mouseno4
    @Senno
    @bman26
    @WeeMadAndo
    @Smuffy
    @fishfishmonkeyhat
    @CarrotTop
    @Gero
    @ninnanuam
    @Fitzchivalry
    @SpyderAU
    @WallStar
    @Pixels
    @flashe
    @inconspicuous_
    @Questor
    @spellicer
    @Antoshka
    @IMSancho
    @gotofail
    @jaywalker82
    @Fulchrum

Also back me up on twitter and don't forget the #paxbeer (#paxbeers? help me out! lol) hashtag:

• alexdakid6alexdakid6 Registered User new member
    If anyone's keen, there's tidy wee German bar by the Melbourne convention centre called the Munich Brauhaus. They've got a $5 happy hour, and it's pretty great. Pretty sure it goes from 4 til 7-ish, for your consideration.

Getting Nervous, Im pushing myself so much not to back out.

It's ok, it's a friendly bunch :) But yes don't push yourself and go at your own pace.

In the past there has been people doing a tour for newbies to Melbourne (usually skydeck, zoo and acmi), I'm not sure if anyone is doing that this year.

• PlasmanPlasman Registered User regular
    Please don't lose sleep or develop stomach ulcers over it! If you're really anxious about it it's fine to just not go!

That being said, I went to the global Reddit meetup in the USA this year, all alone in a strange country, and it was a really great time full of really friendly geeky folks!

I'm just being a sook. I'll be okay

Getting off work early, got an RDO on Friday, life is good.

• Ducky92Ducky92 Registered User new member
    SuperRoach wrote: »
    Its about that time again! and yay @Feralmaster :)

[*] At transport bar, having a large bunch of people forming and then one of them bought a random from a previous event and their tales of getting free wine tastings at said previous event. He had so many funny tales!

That was me last year, I made my way down and this guy randomly joined me after getting kicked out of an Indian restaurant and telling me about how he went through the same wine tasting twice. Never found out who he was or his name.

• chunky04chunky04 Registered User regular
    I went last year and it was great. Was cool to have new people to notice and interact with right through as well. I have different plans this year, but will definitely return at some future PAX.

It is probably one of the most chill groups you can find if you’re someone with social anxiety.

Will it be easy to find the group?. Like how will I know.

• David23David23 Registered User new member
    edited October 2018
    I'm planning to spend the day cooking food for the weekend, but if I finish on time I'll be there.

Also, if anyone wants something prepared, ask here

David23 on
    @Aidiland Look for gamer T shirts, PAX logos, lanyards. At Transport, we will probably get a table outside the rear entrance and beside the river. Swimming optional but not recommended.

Obligatory Pax sign!! (if it attached?) i'm possibly going to bring 2 friends along who have no idea what this is, so that should be funny. I have a light up backpack!

• AzmodanAzmodan Registered User new member
    edited October 2018
    So is the place called library? 0.o new to Melbourne
    If you see a smash sleave thats me

Azmodan on
    If you see some standing around with a music symbol tattoo that's me. I'll be there around 630

@Azmodan have a look at the map link in the first post. There appears to be a bit of a construction site going on and it’s kind of behind that somewhat.

Ai ai captain. Ill do me best

If it's still at transport here is the picture from previous years!

HA HA fool proof i love it :)

Its anywhere there now? 0.o

I'm on my way now

Running a bit late, heading down now.

I'm at the right place I believe

Jpop and I are sitting out the back in the smoking area, loads of spare seats.

I'm going there now