As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington] Politics

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    In bad news, there is a new poll out showing rossi up 9 points in the 8th district. Could be an outlier or could be the 8th still being its shitty old self.

The east side is a h e l l z o n e

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    In bad news, there is a new poll out showing rossi up 9 points in the 8th district. Could be an outlier or could be the 8th still being its shitty old self.

Wait are we using eastside here to mean east of 405 or east of I 5...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Rossi is effectively a lock. He'll win by virtue of simply dodging answers when asked hard questions and planting one hojillion yard signs at every public easement.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Wait are we using eastside here to mean east of 405 or east of I 5...

Difference without a distinction in this case

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    It is certainly not. East of I5 is different than east of 405. Don't you lump Bothell proper in with people who put Andy Hill and Riechert in office!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    crossposting from the federal thread since we're talking about it both places:

I'm not in the 8th - not even adjacent to it - but we get all the cable commercials for it anyway. Anecdotally, there's been a heavy push in pro-Rossi advertising since October started. In September, the ads were nearly all from Democratic PACs, now it's something like 60-40 in favor of the GOP

Was looking at the district maps last night and the 8th has a lot more central WA than I remembered. It stretches all the way to Ellensburg and Wenatchee, although the highest population centers in the district appear to be Auburn and Kent.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Auburn and Kent are conservative smaller towns. They live and die by business rental spaces. That's Rossi territory for sure.

• Options
    All that open space for car dealerships, of course they connect with Rossi.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Eastside is east of the lake, not any of the roads.

So, Kirkland/Bellevue/Redmond/Newcastle
    Probably Sammamish and Issaquah
    Potentially Bothell and Woodinville

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Don't blame the mountain towns though, without them the eastside would probably elect the corpse of Rob Thielke as a write-in

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Auburn and Kent are conservative smaller towns. They live and die by business rental spaces. That's Rossi territory for sure.

I won't dispute the economy, but Kent and Auburn aren't that small. Kent's the sixth-largest city in the state by population. Nearly the size of Bellevue and significantly bigger than Everett, Renton or any of the other Seattle metro suburbs besides Tacoma. Must be a square mileage thing.

• Options
    Its just based on self reporting no one wants to claim they live in kent.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    kent's population growth is almost entirely due to annexation of smaller neighboring areas

prior to annexing Panther Lake a few years ago (adding ~24k residents), it was a comparably populated suburb to Everett or Renton

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Oh also the Seattle Times today was disgusting, running two things in support of State Senator Fain including their continued endorsement of him while also running an editorial about "supporting women" I wish there was another in state paper to support.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The P-I was always the better of the two local papers, IMO, and I still miss it. The Stranger has recently cut back to biweekly and I fear the writing is on the wall there, too.

• Options
    shalmelo wrote: »
    The P-I was always the better of the two local papers, IMO, and I still miss it. The Stranger has recently cut back to biweekly and I fear the writing is on the wall there, too.

Yeah I had a pi subscription before the times. And like the times has good coverage on local stories, its just their opinion section is so right wing and obnxious as fuck. Like for every time they have one lefty national columnist we get a bunch of david brooks and ross douhat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I assume its a reflection on the demographics of people still buying newspapers?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Nah Times was always the righter leaning seattle paper. They just didn't change when the PI went under.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Times editorial board has always been the voice of the (wealthier) suburbs in that they try to appear centrist but always wind up siding with the money. P-I always felt like it was pitched more toward the city itself, which I appreciated.

• Options
    More good news for the state, the Supreme Court has ruled that life in prison without parole for minors violates the Constitution

per a writer at Slate

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Go our supreme court!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Is there really only one voting center in all of Kent? That seems a little ridiculous.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is there really only one voting center in all of Kent? That seems a little ridiculous.

Didn't they remove having to pay for postage on ballots now? So you can drop them in the mail anywhere.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    yep, all ballots are postage-paid this time around. don't even need to go drop it off at a library or whatever, just toss it in your mailbox

with a side of king county did it first then the state maneuvered to fuck over the county by funding ballot postage for every county except king county, because WA politics

Dehumanized on
  • Options

Didn't they remove having to pay for postage on ballots now? So you can drop them in the mail anywhere.

Right, I just haven't received my mail in yet, so I was looking at alternatives.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    A
    yep, all ballots are postage-paid this time around. don't even need to go drop it off at a library or whatever, just toss it in your mailbox

with a side of king county did it first then the state maneuvered to fuck over the county by funding ballot postage for every county except king county, because WA politics

And that probably explains why I'm seeing more of the ballot boxes spread around King county...

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Right, I just haven't received my mail in yet, so I was looking at alternatives.

I think WA state sent out the ballots like yesterday?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Yeah I got my pamphlet already, but figured the ballot was on the way

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I haven't worried about it as much before, figuring it will get here when it gets here, but if I don't vote and Schrier loses, I'm going to be really upset with myself.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I haven't worried about it as much before, figuring it will get here when it gets here, but if I don't vote and Schrier loses, I'm going to be really upset with myself.

Brody I swear to god if you ruin this for us

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah I'll pay whatever charity amount to have his name changed to Dinosfan

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Man, I was all excited because dinosaurs, and then I realized what you were actually implying there.

• Options

Ballots are getting mailed out today. It literally says as much on the cover of the voting pamphlet. So I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't show up by like, Tuesday.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Ballots are getting mailed out today. It literally says as much on the cover of the voting pamphlet. So I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't show up by like, Tuesday.

Also you can print a new one if needed

• Options

Well, I voted, so maybe if Schrier wins I'll petition Tube to change my name to Dinofucker or something.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I don't know if they're in any dire financial straits, but I will say that the stranger has spent the last 5-7 years chasing off all their best talent

pretty much only Mudede is left, the rest are all either "fine, barely" (rich smith) or actively a huge piece of shit like katie herzog, about whom the less said the better

it's really too bad, it used to be a great paper

• Options

Well, I voted, so maybe if Schrier wins I'll petition Tube to change my name to Dinofucker or something.

Well stegosaurus's are so sexy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Yeah I had a pi subscription before the times. And like the times has good coverage on local stories, its just their opinion section is so right wing and obnxious as fuck. Like for every time they have one lefty national columnist we get a bunch of david brooks and ross douhat.

the times' actual reportage is pretty good, and they have one of the most underappreciated food writers alive right now (Bethany Jean Clement! so great!), but I can't in good conscience give money to a paper that leverages its branding and authority to elect shitheads like Rossi and torpedo good policy

and I do not feel the need to help keep the lights on at the house of Blethen

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

the times' actual reportage is pretty good, and they have one of the most underappreciated food writers alive right now (Bethany Jean Clement! so great!), but I can't in good conscience give money to a paper that leverages its branding and authority to elect shitheads like Rossi and torpedo good policy

and I do not feel the need to help keep the lights on at the house of Blethen

For me I have a habit of reading the paper on my lunch, so I had the PI in the past and then when they went under sadly had to go to the times. I mean I could get the everett herald I guess, but ewww everett.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Times has poached quite a few good writers from other publications in Seattle over the years, so they get credit from me for doing actual footwork journalism. Now if they would just eject their opinion and editorial section into outer space, I'd pay money for their material again.

This discussion has been closed.