As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    A whole bunch of what I am reading can't agree on whether Pacifist mode also makes you immune to PvP damage or not.
    I'm starting to get confused too. :lol:

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    A whole bunch of what I am reading can't agree on whether Pacifist mode also makes you immune to PvP damage or not.

I would think it would have to, otherwise it would be pointless. It's probably like GTA Online, where you can't damage people and they can't damage you. In that, you're also transparent, so people know you can't be damaged.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I would think it would have to, otherwise it would be pointless. It's probably like GTA Online, where you can't damage people and they can't damage you. In that, you're also transparent, so people know you can't be damaged.

The point could be just that they finally realised that people could jump in front of you to make you shoot them.

Which was something that was very prevelant in The Division before they set a PvP toggle.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Pacifist mode doesn't prevent you from being killed.

All it does is prevent you from damaging other players. So someone can't follow you around and run in to your line of fire in order to trick you in to PvP.

From level 6+ you can totally still be killed by other players. The damage they do to you is very, very low however and if they do finish you off they're marked as a "Murderer" and appear on the map for everyone to freely kill and be rewarded for doing so. The Murderer also gets nothing for doing this.

There is also Hunter/Hunted mode which if you wish to join will give you a random player target (edit- who is someone else that opted in to the mode) while also making you a target for another random player. Special rewards are given out for accomplishing this.

There will also be special PvP events that happen randomly and also special PvE events where PvP will be disabled.

edit- Also PvP damage is scaled so there's not too much of a difference between a low level player and a high level player.

Er, no, to the bolded, the Murderer got to gank someone who had toggled off their ability to fight back. That's like putting a bow on the experience for some people. The only "reward" in that case needed is "I ruined someone else's fun, yay!" "Low damage" just translates into "I need to bring a lot of ammo and a high RoF, you say?"

Yep. Taking bets on how many patches it'll take for them to make you completely immune to damage from other players while in pacifist mode.

Probably never.

Bethesda literally wants griefers.

A big core part of their philosophy with this game is turning griefers in to content.

No, they want people who will interact with each other and give each other shit, mess with each other, and so on. I will guarantee you they do not want the people who do things like "continuously kill all the new players on the server, because this is THEIR server, and nobody else is allowed on it". Especially when those new players may not even be able to shoot back due to game mechanics.

Something in what's been read has to not be as described, because as described, it's absolutely bonkers and will end up in a giant failure cascade.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    You can only have one chem active at a time.

Rest in peace, batshit insane psycho, buffout, med-x and jet combo. :(

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I guess there are Brotherhood of Steel references in 76 and people are kinda annoyed by that.

Mind you the BoS isn't in the game, but they are referenced in letters and logs.

I think it's a valid criticism. Very few people should have heard of the BoS at that point, let alone on the east coast. It's not a dealbreaker or anything, but stepping on the toes of the Interplay lore is going to be touchy for a lot of people.

Yeah, I mean, I'm kinda annoyed too.

Especially since the reason that BoS was/is there is totally not any sort of reason the BoS (of this particular era) would be there.

And that's not even considering the how.

But it is only a few references, hence why I am only kinda annoyed.
    It depends on how much Bethesda feel like screwing with established lore this time.

They were getting kind of weird/sloppy with it in 4 with Jet being referenced in prewar computer logs and ghouls suddenly no longer needing to eat or drink to survive.

From what I've seen the BoS reason for being in Appalachia is to combat The Scorched because they consider them a threat to humanity.

Though it is only a couple of references, but I'd not be surprised in the least if there is some BoS power armor out there for the taking.

My understanding is that, after establishing themselves in the bunker at Lost Hills, the Brotherhood was able to link up with an operational communications satellite to spread their message and their purpose as far away as Appalachia. It's a bit ham-fisted i agree. But it passes the fridge test.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It sounds very much like:

Bethesda: And, of course, in Fallout 76 you will encounter signs of your favorite (and most recognizable) Fallout organization, the Brotherhood of Steel!
    Fans: But at that time the Brotherhood of Steel is a tremendously insular organization that literally only exists in a hole in the ground, on the other side of the entire continent, with no fast transit or fuel options available to them?
    Bethesda: Yes, of course! And we certainly took this into account, because we take lore seriously! You see, the very sensible and fitting reason that the Brotherhood has an established presence on the other side of the map is...
    [A day passes; furious typing and hushed murmuring is heard in the background]
    Bethesda: ...they used a satellite!
    Fans: So, a wizard did it?
    Bethesda: A space wizard did it!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Like, it's fine, Fallout lore isn't exactly ironclad, and I don't mind too much when a side-game (like Fallout Tactics or Fallout 76) takes a looser approach to lore, but I also think it's kind of eye-roll-funny that Bethesda says that they are serious about lore, while at the same time providing an explanation that is so tenuous and feels stapled-on.

In a way, it's a shame. They had an opportunity here to completely define a new corner of the Fallout world, and they just fell back to using familiar elements. I understand why - iconic genre/series markers are useful for brand recognition, continuity, establishing fan buy-in, and so on - but in this case you don't even get to meet/join the Brotherhood, since all the humans in the game are dead. At best, you're gonna be reading about them in notes.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Pacifist mode doesn't prevent you from being killed.

All it does is prevent you from damaging other players. So someone can't follow you around and run in to your line of fire in order to trick you in to PvP.

From level 6+ you can totally still be killed by other players. The damage they do to you is very, very low however and if they do finish you off they're marked as a "Murderer" and appear on the map for everyone to freely kill and be rewarded for doing so. The Murderer also gets nothing for doing this.

There is also Hunter/Hunted mode which if you wish to join will give you a random player target (edit- who is someone else that opted in to the mode) while also making you a target for another random player. Special rewards are given out for accomplishing this.

There will also be special PvP events that happen randomly and also special PvE events where PvP will be disabled.

edit- Also PvP damage is scaled so there's not too much of a difference between a low level player and a high level player.

Er, no, to the bolded, the Murderer got to gank someone who had toggled off their ability to fight back. That's like putting a bow on the experience for some people. The only "reward" in that case needed is "I ruined someone else's fun, yay!" "Low damage" just translates into "I need to bring a lot of ammo and a high RoF, you say?"

Yep. Taking bets on how many patches it'll take for them to make you completely immune to damage from other players while in pacifist mode.

Probably never.

Bethesda literally wants griefers.

A big core part of their philosophy with this game is turning griefers in to content.

No, they want people who will interact with each other and give each other shit, mess with each other, and so on. I will guarantee you they do not want the people who do things like "continuously kill all the new players on the server, because this is THEIR server, and nobody else is allowed on it". Especially when those new players may not even be able to shoot back due to game mechanics.

Something in what's been read has to not be as described, because as described, it's absolutely bonkers and will end up in a giant failure cascade.

You can’t kill newbies though. And a lvl 6 player, numbers wise, has as much of a chance at killing a max level player as the reverse.

Todd Howard: “We turn the assholes into interesting content.”

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Like, it's fine, Fallout lore isn't exactly ironclad, and I don't mind too much when a side-game (like Fallout Tactics or Fallout 76) takes a looser approach to lore, but I also think it's kind of eye-roll-funny that Bethesda says that they are serious about lore, while at the same time providing an explanation that is so tenuous and feels stapled-on.

In a way, it's a shame. They had an opportunity here to completely define a new corner of the Fallout world, and they just fell back to using familiar elements. I understand why - iconic genre/series markers are useful for brand recognition, continuity, establishing fan buy-in, and so on - but in this case you don't even get to meet/join the Brotherhood, since all the humans in the game are dead. At best, you're gonna be reading about them in notes.
    Aye. I think Bethesda are too stuck on the idea of making the BOS the mascots of the series. You can really feel it in 3 where they tried to turn them into superheroes.

I'd really prefer they give them a rest and come up with some new power armor factions instead of the Brotherhood literally being everywhere.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Bethesda: And, of course, in Fallout 76 you will encounter signs of your favorite (and most recognizable) Fallout organization, the Brotherhood of Steel!
    Fans: But at that time the Brotherhood of Steel is a tremendously insular organization that literally only exists in a hole in the ground, on the other side of the entire continent, with no fast transit or fuel options available to them?
    Bethesda: Yes, of course! And we certainly took this into account, because we take lore seriously! You see, the very sensible and fitting reason that the Brotherhood has an established presence on the other side of the map is...

What I also find funny is they're basically saying the BoS communicated with groups to create franchises, which use the same logo and uniforms, and follow the same basic tenants. I imagine the communication going something like:
    Welcome to the Brotherhood of Steel family! We have a, well, fairly short at this point, tradition of hoarding technology since the rest of mankind can't be trusted with it. Luckily, we trust you!

Attached to this email, you'll find a PDF of our Welcome Packet. It consists of official logos, our Language Guide, our official dress code, and our "Do's and Don'ts". Please take the time to familiarize yourself with these materials, and again, welcome to the Brotherhood of Steel!

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular

What I also find funny is they're basically saying the BoS communicated with groups to create franchises, which use the same logo and uniforms, and follow the same basic tenants. I imagine the communication going something like:
    Welcome to the Brotherhood of Steel family! We have a, well, fairly short at this point, tradition of hoarding technology since the rest of mankind can't be trusted with it. Luckily, we trust you!

Attached to this email, you'll find a PDF of our Welcome Packet. It consists of official logos, our Language Guide, our official dress code, and our "Do's and Don'ts". Please take the time to familiarize yourself with these materials, and again, welcome to the Brotherhood of Steel!

Before all the details on this game came out (particularly the lack of NPCs) I figured we’d see nascent versions of groups similar to the Enclave and BoS who were still forming and figuring out their place in the new world, and that we as players would help guide these groups. I am disappointed this doesn’t seem to be the case.

• Options
    Igpx407 wrote: »

Before all the details on this game came out (particularly the lack of NPCs) I figured we’d see nascent versions of groups similar to the Enclave and BoS who were still forming and figuring out their place in the new world, and that we as players would help guide these groups. I am disappointed this doesn’t seem to be the case.

What I would have preferred was Bethesda actually using the opportunity to create some new factions to expand the Fallout universe, instead of checking off boxes on the "Things That Make a Game Fallout" list.

• Options
    Igpx407 wrote: »

Yeah me too.

I've said I was kinda annoyed by the inclusion of the BoS and I am.

Though my reaction was basically, "Ugh fine, whatever."

• Options
    Reminder that Fallout New California will be out same day as the Xbone beta test for 76.

Something to tide those of us without one over until the 30th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWkKzaplwbY

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    The beta client is downloadable on Xbox, if you've pre-ordered digitally.

If you got a boxed copy, like me, and have received your beta code, you can go to Bethesda.net and get your Beta client Xbox Key from your transaction History tab.

From the email -
    1- Go to https://account.bethesda.net/en/settings/redeem-code
    2- You will be prompted to enter logon details for Bethesda.net, if you do not have an account, you will have to create one by following the on screen instructions. Once your account is created, go to the link and click "Redeem Codes" on left of page.
    3- Enter the 20 digit number provided in the “Code” section.
    4- This will automatically confirm the B.E.T.A access on the platform of your choice and instructions on how to play will be communicated nearer B.E.T.A launch.

Downloading now, really looking forward to it, now.

Apparently the beta is only live for 4-8 hours a day, so I just hope I get lucky with the times.

And your character progress carries over to the actual game. Not sure about loot and materials, though.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I will give one whole....no...TWO whole bottle caps ingame to whoever can confirm the laser musket is in 76 next week.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Okay so there's a fire about to start on the inter- OH GOD HELP I'M BURNING
    https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-warns-fallout-76-fans-to-expect-spectacular-bugs-and-issues/

Bethesda put out a statement today noting that Fallout 76 is full of bugs. Most people are saying, "hey, they're talking about the beta, that makes sense." Which it does. ... Unfortunately Bethesda specifically noted a lot of these bugs, known and unknown, are going to persist into launch.

So now comes the question of how long have they known about how much of a mess the game is, and why didn't they delay its launch to clean it up?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh for fuck's sake

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've never hopped on the bandwagon of "all Bethesda games are buggy messes lol" because 1) people exaggerate and 2) open world games are hard as fuck to make, you have to reasonably expect some bugs to remain past internal testing.

But I can't recall Bethesda putting out statements ahead of a game's launch (cutting it this close) saying "uh, it's messy" before. So for FO76 I'll drop the benefit of doubt.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    "Spectacular" bugs, no less.

...starting to get a little concerned this game could kill Fallout like Andromeda did Mass Effect.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Has any company put out a statement like that before a release?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    "Spectacular" bugs, no less.

...starting to get a little concerned this game could kill Fallout like Andromeda did Mass Effect.
    Ehh to be fair, Andromeda was put to the axe by the serial killer corporation that is Electronic Arts. At worse this will make Bethesda put the main series on hold for a while. I hope you guys like Fallout Shelter.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Crazy thought here but they maybe should have done a real public beta earlier on instead of a last minute "play early" preorder bonus.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I bet some dickweed will find a way to kill level 1 dudes in a couple of hours, on release.

Bethesda will patch it after a month.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    On the one hand, it's a Bethesda game so of course it will be buggy on release. On the other hand, if Bethesda is warning you it's buggy, it must be really buggy.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Its odd that a "Beta" is a selling point these days.

Bethesda should treat it as a gift to them that people will play test their games and pretty much do what their internal QA team should be doing.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Mortious wrote: »
    It has actually, I just can't remember the specific example. It happened in the days when we had an Industry thread here.

Edit - Oh and there's Sonic Adventure, which had an NPC at the start whose dialog was, "Hey, there's some bugs in this game! Try to ignore them!" or something to that effect.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Crazy thought here but they maybe should have done a real public beta earlier on instead of a last minute "play early" preorder bonus.

Oh man, when they first announced they were actually going to do a beta I was all, "Holy shit yes, yes you guys desperately need to beta the hell out of this!" A Bethesda game and their first foray in to persistent online? My god, it'd need months of beta testin- Oh, wait, beta is just an early access right before launch? Good luck with that.

To say I was a bit crestfallen would be accurate.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Where's the quotes about bugs persisting to launch? Not seeing it in the letter.

• Options
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I thought there was a list of known bugs and they said XYZ is going to not be fixed.

That's not quite as bad or at least too generic- "There will be bugs!". Which ones!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Be our unpaid QA team even more than usual! Think of it as an adventure!"

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mortious wrote: »

Whichever company made Deadly Creatures for the Wii.

Though in fairness, their spectacular bugs were actually supposed to be there.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've never hopped on the bandwagon of "all Bethesda games are buggy messes lol" because 1) people exaggerate and 2) open world games are hard as fuck to make, you have to reasonably expect some bugs to remain past internal testing.

But I can't recall Bethesda putting out statements ahead of a game's launch (cutting it this close) saying "uh, it's messy" before. So for FO76 I'll drop the benefit of doubt.

The first Bethesda game I played was Daggerfall, so I'm generally expecting a hot mess of weirdness with any of their games. However I'm also using Daggerfall as my baseline, so as long as I'm not reinstalling my OS I'm generally pleasantly surprised.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Likely what happened is that they hit the deadline to go gold and Bethesda went "fuck it. Ship the bastard."

• Options

Old conversation is old, but I'd bet you hard money the real reason the Brotherhood got shoehorned in is so they could re-use the previous game's assets and have less new stuff to create.

I mean, this entire game seems to be built on the very broad back of re-used assets. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but from everything I've read, it's turning into a big ole negative.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Likely what happened is that they hit the deadline to go gold and Bethesda went "fuck it. Ship the bastard."

This will prove to be a costly mistake.

If you have it on console, and wanna return, do it early, it might get as bad as the BFII return sit in the plausible pessimistic outcomes.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Anyone playing the beta yet ?

• Options
    Damn, Moddb and Nexus servers get hammered. First time I can remember not being able to download something.

People hungry for New California.

This discussion has been closed.