As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    By the by, before I forget here's some pictures from the last patch:

5YqQ4n1.png

Qadim kill, showing off the new legendary scepter. Yes, that is a scepter, not a staff. You can see the accessory to the scepter poking out behind the red glowy charr standing to my right, a little flying dragon boi.

UyF4u91.png

New stool. Check out that sitting pose and how I don't look like I've just been sent to the principal's office for talking during weapons practice and accidentally setting off an ordnance near the other cubs.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So today I finally maxed out leather working, which means I now have all the trades maxed except for scribe, which is not terribly concerning. It was very, very expensive, but now I'm finally free to craft all the things!

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    the game is very, very cpu dependent. The graphics card does some work, but really a bulk of it is on the cpu (and it doesn't really use multi-core cpus very well either). Before my upgrade, I was running on a i5 3550 with a gtx 970 and although I couldn't run it at max settings very well (I always turned down shadows, particle effects, etc.), it still ran better than that. If the game is crashing out and you're seeing very low performance, I'd definitely check your system. Turning off everything non-microsoft related in msconfig is... "meh," to be honest; but it does give you somewhere to start as long as nothing else is running as well. After that, make sure you don't have any system issues like improperly installed systems (you can check a lot of that in the device manager, i.e. HDD drivers, controllers, etc.). Possibly run a stress test on the system to check for memory errors, then check to see if your GPU us getting enough power from the power supply (these two are some of the biggest issues with crashes).

Can you send me a link for how to do this? I think I've got more power than required for my card/CPU/cooler, but I don't know how to monitor that.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    UyF4u91.png

New stool. Check out that sitting pose and how I don't look like I've just been sent to the principal's office for talking during weapons practice and accidentally setting off an ordnance near the other cubs.

Chairs don't replace your skills, do they? I remember messing around with some novelty stuff and got annoyed that some replaced my 6-10, so my necromancer had to resummon his pets every time. I'd like to know before buying the stool. :)

• Options
    ShadowAppleShadowApple Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Never hurts to review and uninstall/disable stuff that may be running on startup, or in the background that you really don't need. AV software can get in the way sometimes.

i5 6600k
    Processor Base Frequency 3.50 GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency 3.90 GHz

Ya.. should keep up just fine.. Assuming you don't have any cooling problems where the CPU is slowing down. Perhaps check your temps?

Guild hall has a lot of reflections depending where you look.. They definitely can slow things down sometimes. Some zones run better than others. Guild hall is probably less optimized. than other places. How are other zones?

I have an
    i7 4790k
    Processor Base Frequency 4.00 GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency 4.40 GHz
    GTX1070

I checked my fps.. looks like I turned down a few things... (attaching screenshot)
    bghb4fz7mwwf.jpg

Oh, my screen resolution 2560x1440

ShadowApple on
  • Options
    I just turn down my shaders and things are fine. My rig is six years old with a GTX 560 TI with i5 and 8G RAM. The game is mostly fine with shaders at normal, but becomes imperfect during hectic scenes from all the particle effects.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I ran some diagnostics and double checked my power consumption map: my rig is still running fine and I've got 650 watts to my 540 watt requirement. Sometimes I hear a burp or two from the liquid cooling system, but that's been normal since day one. I'm pretty sure it isn't a problem with my hardware, so I replied back to the support email and they suggested I delete a file named Local.dat in my apps/roaming folder. So far that seems to have done the trick, but I'm going to give it a few more days before I declare success. The Desolation and the Fractal home plate seem to be the worst zones for me, so I'm going to spend a bit of time there. What is local.dat anyway?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Fyi, I looked at past Halloweens and when we had our last patch, so I am pretty sure Halloween this year will drop on the 16th (so about a week.)

I have heard some rumors that Joko might be back for Halloween. Meaning: he's dead and whatever we encounter will be a Mists echo, BUT we'll get a DELIGHTFUL return to Joko and Thorn's rivalry.

*edit* On the flip side, get ready for the Great Yearly Content Drought, since it will, once again, be back to back Halloween and Wintersday before any new LS drops. Wintersday will probably be the same as it ever was.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    What is local.dat anyway?

A cache of certain settings. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Local.dat

• Options
    Damn, that wiki really does have everything.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Sorry, possibly stupid question. For any of the specialization collections that require certain drops- you don't need to actually be on that class to get it, right?

Trying to farm smokescales in DS for the last bit for my reaper's GS (I know, I'm behind) and after about hour of it I'm starting to wonder if being on my ranger has something to do with my lack of drop.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    As long as you've opened the collection you can get the drop on any class.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    As long as you've opened the collection you can get the drop on any class.

Thank you. I kinda knew that, but I guess not getting the drop made me second-guess myself. Back to farming.

Incidentally, anyone know the answer to my earlier question re: chairs? Wondering if using them replaces your skills/blocks them, forcing you to resummon pets (for necromancer).

• Options
    When you sit in the chair your skills disappear. Used it on my necromancer, pets disappeared, when I got out of the chair the pets returned automatically.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    When you sit in the chair your skills disappear. Used it on my necromancer, pets disappeared, when I got out of the chair the pets returned automatically.

Thank you. Good to know. I tried this with a travel tool and a tonic, both times I had to resummon all my pets. Just might pick up that stool, then.

Does the lamp on it actually provide a light source?

• Options
    /grumbles angrily about Sigil of Nullification

• Options

I sold mine for like 15g each. Not worth even bothering with until prices go down.

• Options

The pants don't cost sigils, at least. That's all I wanted :D

• Options

The pants don't cost sigils, at least. That's all I wanted :D

Neither do the boots!

• Options
    Ja I got the boots and pants and then was like... waaargh.

I'm going to try my luck dumping trash sigils into the forge. If I get the required amount, great; if not, I guess I'll sell 'em for FAT CASH.

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    What's all this sigil business?

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    New crafted armour requires a lot of Sigils of Nullification. They cannot be crafted; only acquired from random exotic drops, and as a reward from character levelling. As such, demand massively outstrips supply, so they soared in price.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    I think the market has gone so far as to try to get them through the mystic forge because even major sigils were selling for 3.5+ silver for a while. Coincidentally I might own a griffon soon...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    capped out at 1,000 mithril bars. Decided to sell them all to make a bit of cash. two days later decided to make the claw legendary dagger. Need a billion mithril. Fuck me.

Edit - First step down. Now need 2 billion mithril.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    capped out at 1,000 mithril bars. Decided to sell them all to make a bit of cash. two days later decided to make the claw legendary dagger. Need a billion mithril. Fuck me.

Edit - First step down. Now need 2 billion mithril.

I honestly don't know if you're exaggerating.

• Options
    Each gen 2 legendary since Chuka and Chumpawat has required 290 shards of that respective legendary. For a 2h weapon it's 55 ingots per shard, for a main hand it's 45 ingots per shard, for an off hand 40 ingots. In this case it's a main hand, and the claw has a gift of metal, so he'll need about 13300 mithril ingots.

• Options
    Each gen 2 legendary since Chuka and Chumpawat has required 290 shards of that respective legendary. For a 2h weapon it's 55 ingots per shard, for a main hand it's 45 ingots per shard, for an off hand 40 ingots. In this case it's a main hand, and the claw has a gift of metal, so he'll need about 13300 mithril ingots.

So I was very slightly exaggerating. Its also roughly the same amount of elder wood, but I can get that from the malchor's leap farm with 22 characters so its not AS bad.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was thinking shining blade was not too bad a grind to craft.

Then I did the math on shards.

• Options
    WOOOO HALLOWEEN WOOOOOOOOOOOO.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I ended up crafting some exotic viper's for my mirage since I had some black diamonds stashed (and they seemed pretty cheap on the AH).

It's definitely more killy, but I kind of miss my junky rabid gear. I kind of got used to a toughness-heavy condi character who just wore down any kind of enemy. I'm going to eventually fill out a set of asc viper's jewelry at least once I'm done with LS3's story missions, but I might end up staying condi/tough/precision. It's not like I'm raiding or anything.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    My wife, someone who looked at the crafting system when she first started playing and went " N O P E, not for me!", Just crafted her final piece of ascended armor.

Her next goal is to craft a legendary weapon.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Don't forget to get the free firework from the Gem store - don't waste it, the MF buff you get from it is relatively unique and AOE wide!

(also yay for black lion chest rotation change, cheap home instance nodes I was missing:))

Edit:

Also, how times have changed... From hurting my wrist from repeatedly failing Mad Kings Tower in the first year (and not finishing it), to getting the 3 completion runs achi in 30ish min.

Leandriell on
  • Options
    My wife, someone who looked at the crafting system when she first started playing and went " N O P E, not for me!", Just crafted her final piece of ascended armor.

To be honest, I think GW2 has just about the worst crafting system of any MMO I've played, though I can really only compare it to WoW and FFXIV. Was it a design goal to make leather the most expensive armor type? Why are T4 materials the rarest in game? Was there any sort of thought put into correlating effects with amount and types of components? It's all so slapdash and random.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited October 2018

To be honest, I think GW2 has just about the worst crafting system of any MMO I've played, though I can really only compare it to WoW and FFXIV. Was it a design goal to make leather the most expensive armor type? Why are T4 materials the rarest in game? Was there any sort of thought put into correlating effects with amount and types of components? It's all so slapdash and random.

It wasn't terrible initially - the discovery aspect was fun, at least. But a system like that only really stays interesting if the devs keep investing into it, and ANet stopped caring shortly before launch. That's part of why silly things like leather being stupidly expensive and t4 mats are disproportional to the other mats: they're solvable problems, but ANet doesn't want to solve them. They'll continue adding recipes as time goes on, sure, but only as a vehicle to something else rather than as a fun thing with a consistent theme that people want to do.

They almost had the right idea with scribing, except that it still has a stupidly disproportional amount of busywork compared to any other crafting profession. Meanwhile I think they forgot you could be a jewelcrafter shortly after ascended crafting was released :(

But yeah. For them it was easy to put everything in the mystic forge, so that's what Guild Wars 2's crafting actually is in the end.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

This is less the crafting system (with which I do have a number of issues separate from the economy) and more the economy around all of it. Remember there was a time where leather was so worthless that people regularly vendored leather drops instead of salvaging it. A.net is not known for a delicate touch when trying to rebalance things though and how they make formerly trashed items more desirable is no different. See Nullification sigils for another example.

A lot of the goals have been admirable like making lower level crafting materials still useful in higher level crafting so that players still leveling could sell something of worth to higher level players and shift some wealth around but other systems end up causing scarcity and headaches, e.g. how it doesn't take much to level past the range of getting some of those items.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Was on my EU account with few achievements, did the labyrinth boss kills and got 20 personalized loot bags for one. Since you can't sell em figured i'd just pop em real quick.

Got two touch of madness from them. Wooooo. 200g for meeee. Crazy luck.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    So I managed to snag a cheap infusion from the TP (a green one). There's no way to preview that on a character, is there?

If I want to make it so I can move the infusion around my characters, would the best thing to do be slotting it into something ascended since they're account-bound? Like a backpack?

• Options
    So I managed to snag a cheap infusion from the TP (a green one). There's no way to preview that on a character, is there?

If I want to make it so I can move the infusion around my characters, would the best thing to do be slotting it into something ascended since they're account-bound? Like a backpack?

Yes, plus you can use the Ascended Infusion Extractor to take it out if you hate it. You can get those for Fractal Relics from Fractals, iirc (and if you need those you can get teh amount you need from like, T1s)

• Options

Yes, plus you can use the Ascended Infusion Extractor to take it out if you hate it. You can get those for Fractal Relics from Fractals, iirc (and if you need those you can get teh amount you need from like, T1s)

Thank you kindly.

I still need FR's to buy the beta capacitor for the first step of AI.

• Options
    Curse you Corrigan and Keystone for inspiring me!

Now I never need to go in there again!
    ufkevt5sz2bk.jpg

Biggest hurdles:
    • Distractions from Goldy + my cats
    • That second sideways cog
    • Instances which bugged in some fashion