As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Liberals are waiting to call it, which is entirely fair. It’s still early in counting.

First time Wentworth has been lost since Federation. Wow.

-Loki- on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    ABC already wants to claim Phelps victory in Wentworth, 1 hour after vote close, based on the very large swing from some small electorates.
    Question is whether Phelps would vote for no confidence in the Liberals and get us a new government for Christmas.

She has already said she won't, but it is entirely possible that we see leadership spills in both branches of the Coalition within the next fortnight.

Honestly I'll settle for a hung parliament. I don't fully trust either party with enough power to pass anything they want, forcing the government in power to have to deal with the Greens and Independants is fine with me.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Phelps has claimed victory. Exit polls showed 78% support for ditching coal and going to renewables.

It’s getting kind of hard for the government to keep banging on about coal power. The population largely doesn’t want it.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Oh this is all so good.

Phelps did say she would guarantee supply, but she ran on 2 issues: get the kids the fuck off Nauru, and fuck coal off.

So if Morrison won't budge on that she has all she'd need to justify reneging.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    Haha Morrison actually said voting for Labor or Phelps would increase the stability issues in Federal government.

Nah you’re doing that fine yourselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    At this point I'd honestly not be shocked if Morrison didn't make it to the election.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    At this point I'd honestly not be shocked if Morrison didn't make it to the election.

I'm expecting another round of Tony Abbott really.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    What a surprise. Making terrible foreign policy decisions against all advice just to pander to 13% of an electorate in the most patronising way possible did not work. I am shocked.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Oh this is all so good.

Phelps did say she would guarantee supply, but she ran on 2 issues: get the kids the fuck off Nauru, and fuck coal off.

So if Morrison won't budge on that she has all she'd need to justify reneging.

Do I dare to dream that the minority government might be in an even worse position when the rest of Parliament attempts to push through a tentative climate change policy?

Looks like the Postal votes were more Liberal leaning than expected. Phelps is still the favorite but it's probably going to go down to a few hundred votes. Factoring in votes still in transit and the potential for a recount and we might have to wait a few weeks to get an actual result.

One polling station has rechecked, and Phelps gained 126 votes and Sharma lost 155, she's leading again.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I'm a little concerned about the suggestion we might not know for weeks, because of postal votes coming in.

I mean this in a non-partisan way and not because of who's winning, but what's going on that postal votes count past a certain point? I mean, isn't there an end date after which they can't be sent? If the postal service is that bad that letters specifically addressed to the AEC (or wherever) can get lost in the system in such volumes that it could have a discernable difference, for WEEKS, that needs to be addressed.

Just seems really half-assed.

edited October 2018
    I think it's more, postal votes tend more conservative, so they're making the vote result closer.
    If the vote is too close, then the votes have to be recounted carefully to ensure the final vote outcome is correct, and the recount can delay the result by weeks.

discrider on
    Good news:
    https://amp.smh.com.au/politics/federal/even-the-best-postal-vote-scenario-for-the-liberal-party-would-still-see-kerryn-phelps-win-wentworth-20181021-p50b2r.html?__twitter_impression=true
    Independent candidate Kerryn Phelps has cemented her lead in the Wentworth byelection after a day of astonishing shifts in the provisional tally, with the final outcome to be decided by thousands of postal votes that are yet to be counted.

Liberal Party observers believe the government only has a remote chance of a shock comeback over the coming days, with Liberal candidate Dave Sharma falling further behind in the latest count on Sunday night.

Dr Phelps has ssecured 51.1 per cent of the vote in two-party terms, a lead that is substantial enough to withstand the gains Mr Sharma is expected to make when more postal votes are received by the time the deadline passes on November 2.

steam_sig.png
    discrider wrote: »
    I think it's more, postal votes tend more conservative, so they're making the vote result closer.
    If the vote is too close, then the votes have to be recounted carefully to ensure the final vote outcome is correct, and the recount can delay the result by weeks.

Yeah this. I asked and apparently the postal votes have 13 days from yesterday to come in. (Which seems longer than Auspost should need but whatever). If it's close enough for a recount then yeah we could have a bit of a wait. (It's apparently within 100 votes for an automatic recount, or the candidates can call for it if they're willing to pay for it)

But those few hundred votes Phelps just picked up should make that hard to do. Maybe the Libs will pay for a recount as a just in case measure but a recount seems likely to favor Phelps anyway.

edited October 2018
    Phelps’s now leading by 1600 or so after a counting error saw her not get a bunch of votes and was fixed.

-Loki- on
    Dave Sharma and Barnaby Joyce have been griping on Sky news that Turnbull didn’t endorse Sharma. Joyce in particular said he’s just sulking, he himself could have just left but he didn’t.

These people are... ugh. They just don’t see why Wentworth went so badly. It’s always someone else’s fault.

On the plus side if they keep carrying on like this the public might just take the same bat to them at the next Federal election.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Dave Sharma and Barnaby Joyce have been griping on Sky news that Turnbull didn’t endorse Sharma. Joyce in particular said he’s just sulking, he himself could have just left but he didn’t.

These people are... ugh. They just don’t see why Wentworth went so badly. It’s always someone else’s fault.

On the plus side if they keep carrying on like this the public might just take the same bat to them at the next Federal election.

Probably at least in part to do with the personality type you need to be a politician, particularly a liberal one. Admitting fault for anything ever is a sure way to get eaten alive. I mean the fact that Barnaby is even in consideration for leadership of the Nationals is a testament to how far a complete lack of shame and refusal to admit fault can get you. Because its only convention that makes a politician step down after a scandal, turns out its pretty hard to actually force them if they really don't want to go.

Mr Ray on
    Seeing today's horrifying news from the US with the Trump admin pushing to classify transgender folks as not people, I'm worried Morrison might take that on locally to some degree, since he's going to need a new wedge issue for this election.

steam_sig.png
    Seeing today's horrifying news from the US with the Trump admin pushing to classify transgender folks as not people, I'm worried Morrison might take that on locally to some degree, since he's going to need a new wedge issue for this election.

After flipping on gay rights in schools due to public backlash I can’t imagine he’d be dumb enough to try that.

My guess is he’s going to lay low on the crazy stuff and go after Negative Gearing or something more normal again. If the LNP gets another term then I’d be worried.

Yeah my money's on the "Financially responsible party™" offering up a bunch of tax cuts they have no way to pay for, like Dutton's brain fart about removing GST on electricity.

While I don't trust them an inch on social matters and I'd absolutely be concerned about what they'd do post election. They'd honestly just be handing Labor another stick to hit them with to try it as an election issue.

edited October 2018
    Liberal party fuckery with the appointment of the company to find a new ABC chair, a thread:

"In short, the Govt ran a closed - not open - tender proces. It resulted in the selection of a foreign-owned company, with Liberal Party links, to recruit the Chairman of the ABC, and of course, Australian taxpayers will pay for this."

The LNP have royally fucked up tenders ever since the subs, where they instead just pick whoever they want, and ignore the usual process of an open tender. A federal ICAC would have a field day.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
    On a positive note, it is expected that a federal integrity commission now has majority support now (yes even Katter), so SOMETHING might happen. And Labor NEED to use this to cut out the rot at the heart of the current administration who are so openly corrupt it makes a mockery of our democracy.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2018
    Sounds like ScoMo's new NEG is to beg electricity providers to lower energy prices.
    .. something something, big stick, possible forced divestment of assets of the electric companies.

Ah, there we go.
    A default price would be set, according to ABC, but I didn't hear ScoMo say that.
    Sounded like he was just going to demand it without mandating it in law.

... But there's no penalty for not following the baseline price.

discrider on
    Wish the government would stop pushing 'less boats are a good thing', as it's the same as 'less ambulances are a good thing' but phrased differently.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    We just really need a Federal Independent Commission Against Corruption.

It's fucking disgusting how blatantly corrupt the government are

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-29/nsw-nationals-expel-white-supremacists-and-alt-right-party-ranks/10440464
    The NSW Nationals will write to 20 members asking them to justify why they should not be expelled from the party over their alleged links to white supremacist and alt-right movements.

The party has investigated about 35 members, after the ABC revealed a push by people involved in the alt-right movement to join mainstream Australian political parties, in order to influence their policy agendas from within.

Some of those under investigation allegedly shared social media posts praising the Holocaust and Hitler, while others have been pictured in photos posing in white-power symbols.

steam_sig.png
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    "No really, this island turned prison that we won't allow the media to show any footage of is lovely, take my word for it, I am very trustworthy." - Man who once took a bite out of a raw onion

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    "No really, this island turned prison that we won't allow the media to show any footage of is lovely, take my word for it, I am very trustworthy." - Man who twice took a bite out of a raw onion on camera

Feel this needs to be stressed

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    https://youtu.be/xqegTsi6SiE

Downer should be fronting international court over this shit

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    "No really, this island turned prison that we won't allow the media to show any footage of is lovely, take my word for it, I am very trustworthy." - Man who twice took a bite out of a raw onion on camera

Excuse me? My grandfather used to like occasionally eating brown onions like apples, and I'm pretty sure he'd kick Tony Abbott square in the fucking teeth if he were still alive. Dude fought in World War 2 and stayed in after the war ended and got posted to Malaya for a few years before he went back to England.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/xqegTsi6SiE

Downer should be fronting international court over this shit

Pharezon pointed this out to me back in the 00's and I never really did anything with that information. Our involvement in Timor is abhorrent and disgusting, and it's marketed to us as some kind of peace-keeping mission.

TeeMan wrote: »

Excuse me? My grandfather used to like occasionally eating brown onions like apples, and I'm pretty sure he'd kick Tony Abbott square in the fucking teeth if he were still alive. Dude fought in World War 2 and stayed in after the war ended and got posted to Malaya for a few years before he went back to England.

It's quite a stretch to insinuate that I'm likening your grandfather to Tony Abbott. It sounds like that's all they had in common so I'd say they'd be defined by their differences, not the odd cheeky bulb

steam_sig.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Eating raw onions is Tony Abbot's most likable trait.

Look, people eat raw onion. All the time. It’s a garden salad staple.

However, humans peel them first.

-Loki- wrote: »
    Look, people eat raw onion. All the time. It’s a garden salad staple.

However, humans peel them first.

That reminds me of that scene in Species where she eats a banana skin and all. I hope the actress got paid more for that

steam_sig.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    When's the first test of the Aus Bob's no majority?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/30/another-800-centrelink-jobs-to-be-outsourced-as-millions-of-calls-go-unanswered
    About 800 Centrelink call centre jobs will be outsourced in Brisbane as new figures show 48m calls to the agency went unanswered last financial year.

Announcing the move on Tuesday the human services minister, Michael Keenan, cited a report by accounting firm KPMG that the government says found outsourced staff performed better than full-time public servants. The government refused to release the report.

The 800 jobs in Brisbane have been contracted to Concentrix Services and bring the total number of outsourced call centre staff to 2,750.

It was revealed in Senate estimates hearings last week that Centrelink had again failed to meet its customer satisfaction targets, with complaints rising.

The 47.9m unanswered calls were an improvement on the previous year’s figure – 55m – but the Department of Human Services (DHS) conceded there was still room for improvement.

On Tuesday, the government claimed a review of the Serco pilot found the outsourced workers “answered more calls each day, had less down time between calls, were cost effective and ranked equally for customer satisfaction”.

“This dispels many of the myths perpetuated by Labor that outsourcing leads to higher cost and reduced standards of service,” Keenan said.

But the Coalition has refused to release the report, which it says is a “cabinet document”.

4500.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=dcac65cb222a8a405492f9ce376937d5

This discussion has been closed.