As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Moreso than in past Mega Man games, difficulty goes down for stages the more willing you are to use special weapons. Tundra Man's weapon makes quick work of pretty much any enemy your buster shots bounce off of.

As rough as the first Mega Man game is, this is something that it did very very well. Boss weapons had tactical uses that turned frustrating stage elements into puzzles. That element became increasingly less prominent as the series went on, and I think that was a bad call. If you’re only using boss weapons on other bosses then 90% of the game is spent ignoring 90% of your abilities.

I dunno, I seem to recall 9 being full of opportunities to use boss weapons to make other levels easier. I'd say that and MM2 felt like they had more uses than I remember from MM1.

9 had arguably the best weapon selection in the series

I'd put 11's up there with it. As with 9's, the weapons are all valuable on their own and do a nice job of covering each other's gaps. If the measure is how often I used a wider variety of weapons in stages, I could make the case that 11 has the best selection.

I will note that I replayed 1 just yesterday and disagree with the above assessment. Other than Thunder Beam or Super Arm to clear blocks, I think the only weapon I used in a stage was Hyper Bomb, and only once. 2 definitely presented more opportunities to play around with weapons, even if only they were mostly for Metal Blade, Quick Boomerang, and the very odd Bubble Lead or Air Shooter.

Don't forget crash bomber to get through barriers on some alternate paths, Leaf Shield is awesome for any section where you need to ride a moving platform and not be hit by enemies. Flash Man's time stopper is a good way to get past the kill beams in Quick Man's stage, but I always insisted on getting through them the hard way since it can take half of Quick Man's health. But it probably helps with the section of Bubble Man's stage where the robot jellyfish appear. Heat Man's is probably good for minibosses like the robopanther on Wood Man's stage, or those walkers the Sniper Joes ride on Flash man's, but I've never tried it myself.

Panthers? You mean the Friender dogs?

Time Stopper can prevent Frienders from teleporting into Wood Man's stage, Metal Blade (aside from being good everywhere) is great for the jellyfish, and Quick Man is also weak to Crash Bombs. For Sniper Armors (and Sniper Joes), Air Shooter is really good.

They're called Frienders? We're obviously talking about the same thing, I just didn't know what they were supposed to be. That's a cool trick, it had never occurred to me that the game would let you interrupt their arrival. Yeah, Metal Blades' how I go through the jellyfish section, but I don't feel like it really needs to be called out where you can use it since it basically makes the buster obsolete. I honestly don't think I've ever run out of blade ammo without intentionally trying to, there's just always another ammo pickup before it gets too low.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Moreso than in past Mega Man games, difficulty goes down for stages the more willing you are to use special weapons. Tundra Man's weapon makes quick work of pretty much any enemy your buster shots bounce off of.

As rough as the first Mega Man game is, this is something that it did very very well. Boss weapons had tactical uses that turned frustrating stage elements into puzzles. That element became increasingly less prominent as the series went on, and I think that was a bad call. If you’re only using boss weapons on other bosses then 90% of the game is spent ignoring 90% of your abilities.

I dunno, I seem to recall 9 being full of opportunities to use boss weapons to make other levels easier. I'd say that and MM2 felt like they had more uses than I remember from MM1.

I'd put 11's up there with it. As with 9's, the weapons are all valuable on their own and do a nice job of covering each other's gaps. If the measure is how often I used a wider variety of weapons in stages, I could make the case that 11 has the best selection.

I will note that I replayed 1 just yesterday and disagree with the above assessment. Other than Thunder Beam or Super Arm to clear blocks, I think the only weapon I used in a stage was Hyper Bomb, and only once. 2 definitely presented more opportunities to play around with weapons, even if only they were mostly for Metal Blade, Quick Boomerang, and the very odd Bubble Lead or Air Shooter.

Don't forget crash bomber to get through barriers on some alternate paths, Leaf Shield is awesome for any section where you need to ride a moving platform and not be hit by enemies. Flash Man's time stopper is a good way to get past the kill beams in Quick Man's stage, but I always insisted on getting through them the hard way since it can take half of Quick Man's health. But it probably helps with the section of Bubble Man's stage where the robot jellyfish appear. Heat Man's is probably good for minibosses like the robopanther on Wood Man's stage, or those walkers the Sniper Joes ride on Flash man's, but I've never tried it myself.

Time Stopper can prevent Frienders from teleporting into Wood Man's stage, Metal Blade (aside from being good everywhere) is great for the jellyfish, and Quick Man is also weak to Crash Bombs. For Sniper Armors (and Sniper Joes), Air Shooter is really good.

All good points. I'll also add that, for the sake of being able to complete a weakness chain including each Master and weapon once, I use Crash Bomber on Flash Man. Each hit does only 3 damage, but his room is laid out such that he's easy to hit two or three times with one bomb.

This is of course harder to do in the rematch, and in fact impossible without a game over since you would have just used all your Crash Bomber on the previous boss.

Like OneAngryPossum said, Mega Man 3 is where weapons start getting generally less useful, and that's a trend that continues until 9. That's not to say the games in between don't have good weapons, because they all do despite bad ones becoming more frequent. I just never found myself using most of them except to hit a boss's weakness or for something very specific a la Leaf Shield on those two platform tracks in Wily Castle.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There were never any real moments where I wanted to bust out a weapon in 11 for long term use. That said, most of them, especially when paired with the power gear, were... well to use a movie meme, an "Indiana Jones just shoots the swordsman" moment for when you simply did not want to deal with this shit. Many hazards can be virtually bypassed, and minibosses can be annihilated in 2 hits.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I haven't played Mega Man 11 much but a lot of it has to do with immediately being frustrated at it whenever I do pick it up. The way the game handles the hit stun when taking damage is fucking awful and the implications are huge for platforming segments.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    I haven't played Mega Man 11 much but a lot of it has to do with immediately being frustrated at it whenever I do pick it up. The way the game handles the hit stun when taking damage is fucking awful and the implications are huge for platforming segments.

Do you have the Power Shield part? It alleviates that frustration and helped me immensely on my first playthrough. You can buy it after taking a certain amount of damage across all lives.

Edit: 200 damage.

• Options
    It threw me at first, but I gradually came to like the new hit stun. The way it throws you back instantly, rather than sliding back. It felt wrong at first. But it also got rid of those situations of "please don't please don't aarrgh" where you watch yourself slide into a pit. Here, if you're still on solid ground when you're stunned, then you'll stay there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Started practicing my attempt at speed running Block Man's stage yesterday. I still can't believe how Blast Man's weapon can really just destroy those blocks you otherwise have to go through.

Story nitpick: I figured Dr. Light wanted Wily to stop developing Double Gear because it was dangerous, but in the ending he goes ahead and puts it in Auto. Was Light just being a dick to Wily to get funding for his own projects?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Remember that Light’s project was AI with free will, and we all know how THAT went.

I’m just saying maybe Wily isn’t the only mad scientist here.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That's all I could think of when he was doing the "Join me and reform" spiel. I already know how this story ends. With about 3 world apocalypses, and a compelling argument that Wily's creation is the ultimate savior.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That's all I could think of when he was doing the "Join me and reform" spiel. I already know how this story ends. With about 3 world apocalypses, and a compelling argument that Wily's creation is the ultimate savior.

Not that Wily intended that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Well, the virus within Zero also played a very large part in bringing about the first apocalypse.

Still weird that we don't really have a clear answer about where the virus came from. If I recall correctly, various sources have said conflicting things.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Well, the virus within Zero also played a very large part in bringing about the first apocalypse.

Still weird that we don't really have a clear answer about where the virus came from. If I recall correctly, various sources have said conflicting things.

I assumed the Maverick Virus in Zero mutated when Sigma's anti Maverick systems fought it. It took him months to succumb and at that point I figure whatever the Wily was at that point it decided Sigma was the way to go over another Bass situation.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Zero is influenced by X though first. And whatever part Wily had in the Maverick virus, THAT bit of nasty survives all the way to the ZX games (I guess it gets wiped out by whatever apocalypse leads into Legends?), and Model W obviously derives from his work and tries to take over the world repeatedly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »

Zero is influenced by X though first. And whatever part Wily had in the Maverick virus, THAT bit of nasty survives all the way to the ZX games (I guess it gets wiped out by whatever apocalypse leads into Legends?), and Model W obviously derives from his work and tries to take over the world repeatedly.

Model W has nothing to do with Wily. That's Weil's remnants effectively emulating the effects of the Maverick Virus.

Looking into it more, I'm pretty sure the Maverick Virus is derived from Roboenza. The Mega Man Zero Collection Timeline said that the Maverick virus was generated from a "virus from space" that contaminated Zero's capsule. Further, Light was inspired to give X advanced anti-virus technology to prevent infection by a similar virus, as well as weapons systems to fight robots that are infected. The Japanese subtitle for Rockman 10 is "The Threat from Space", which I never understood until realizing Wily's fortress in that game is a space station. The same MMZ Collection Timeline (which was published online the same year as Mega Man 10) also makes it clear that Zero's violent behavior was caused by an error with his electronic brain and cured by the Maverick virus, whereas Sigma had a different reaction to the virus due to having systems derived from but inferior to X's. However, Zero was still a carrier for the virus despite not displaying its usual symptoms.

It's still hard for me to personally reconcile the Wily of the Classic series, who willingly gives the cure to Roboenza after becoming sick himself, with the Wily who would cooperate with Sigma in X5. Tonally the Classic series clashes enough with its own future that I wouldn't mind if it were an alternate timeline and the rest of the series is preceded by an alternative to the Classic series, but it's way too late for that.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    So, odd question: does anyone else use the joystick for directional input? I have since 9 came out, and it's because of how Xbox and now Switch controllers are laid out. Having my thumb as low as the d-pad is on the controller for any appreciable amount of time feels off to me.

I told someone this and they weren't having any of it.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Iirc the Mother Elf was the one that eradicated thevirus, so by the Zero series it's finally gone.

A little anti-climactic to be sure, but I guess the developers didn't want to deal with that particular shadow hanging over their game like it constantly does with the X series.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

They're called Frienders? We're obviously talking about the same thing, I just didn't know what they were supposed to be. That's a cool trick, it had never occurred to me that the game would let you interrupt their arrival. Yeah, Metal Blades' how I go through the jellyfish section, but I don't feel like it really needs to be called out where you can use it since it basically makes the buster obsolete. I honestly don't think I've ever run out of blade ammo without intentionally trying to, there's just always another ammo pickup before it gets too low.

Even if Metal Blade wasn't so all-purpose, just its ability to be fired in multiple directions makes it good for that part of Bubble Man's stage, since it takes the "jump" out of "Jump'n Shoot Man."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So, odd question: does anyone else use the joystick for directional input? I have since 9 came out, and it's because of how Xbox and now Switch controllers are laid out. Having my thumb as low as the d-pad is on the controller for any appreciable amount of time feels off to me.

I told someone this and they weren't having any of it.

I do that. I don't know what it is about it but having to shift my thumb down from the neutral position to use the d pad for a given length of time gets pretty uncomfortable after a while.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Model W has nothing to do with Wily. That's Weil's remnants effectively emulating the effects of the Maverick Virus.

Looking into it more, I'm pretty sure the Maverick Virus is derived from Roboenza. The Mega Man Zero Collection Timeline said that the Maverick virus was generated from a "virus from space" that contaminated Zero's capsule. Further, Light was inspired to give X advanced anti-virus technology to prevent infection by a similar virus, as well as weapons systems to fight robots that are infected. The Japanese subtitle for Rockman 10 is "The Threat from Space", which I never understood until realizing Wily's fortress in that game is a space station. The same MMZ Collection Timeline (which was published online the same year as Mega Man 10) also makes it clear that Zero's violent behavior was caused by an error with his electronic brain and cured by the Maverick virus, whereas Sigma had a different reaction to the virus due to having systems derived from but inferior to X's. However, Zero was still a carrier for the virus despite not displaying its usual symptoms.

It's still hard for me to personally reconcile the Wily of the Classic series, who willingly gives the cure to Roboenza after becoming sick himself, with the Wily who would cooperate with Sigma in X5. Tonally the Classic series clashes enough with its own future that I wouldn't mind if it were an alternate timeline and the rest of the series is preceded by an alternative to the Classic series, but it's way too late for that.

What if the Mega Man series just keeps going? How many Ls can Wily soak up before he's just willing to team up with an evil robot mastermind to win for once?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

What if the Mega Man series just keeps going? How many Ls can Wily soak up before he's just willing to team up with an evil robot mastermind to win for once?

I was intensely amused by one of the incidental shouts in the final boss battle:
    "Wily always wins!"

It's like... nah bro. You really don't.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    So after beating 11 on Superhero, I started replaying the rest of the series in order. I'm up to 6 -- did you know you can aim Knight C. (Crusher, is it? I've always called it Chain) in six directions? I don't think I did.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    One of the things I really appreciate about the classic Mega Man series with regards to boss weaknesses is that often (not always, but often enough to notice), the bosses don't just statistically take more damage from the weapon that they're weak to, but move and attack such that the weapon they're weak to makes it easier to hit them. Such as Crash Man (who jumps every time you push B) being weak to Air Shot (which rises after firing, making it good to hit jumping enemies). Or, in Mega Man 11 (I guess boss order is a spoiler?):
    Blast Man, who fires arcs of bombs that sort of linger in midair, is weak to Torch Man's weapon, which lingers for a moment before dropping, which perfectly eats the entire arc of bombs.

I much prefer it to the X series's "OH NO IT'S MY WEAKNESS HWEARGLBLARGL" where the fight is more or less won outright by having the right weapon.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    I believe the perfect case for how not to design boss weaknesses is Spark Mandrill.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Personally I like best how in Mega Man Zero it's possible to thwart enemy attacks with the right weapons. Forn example, Blazin' Flizard's tail can be cut-off with a charged saber attack, temporarily disabling his grenade until the tail grows back, and a charged recoil rod causes him to end another attack sequence early.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I believe the perfect case for how not to design boss weaknesses is Spark Mandrill.
    They did fix that in Megaman Xtreme for GBC, they gave him extra invulnerability after his "break free" animation so you couldn't stun lock him. Then they made it even worse than the original in Maverick Hunter X by making him vulnerable while he's still breaking free, at least before you had to time your shots somewhat to stun lock him.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular

I've finished MMX more than 10 times and I don't know if I've ever actually fought Spark Mandrill. Now I kinda want to boot it up this afternoon and see what happens in that fight.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Metal Man dies in one hit from his own weapon.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    You still have to beat him at least once normally to get that weapon.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Also, if my only options are a boss dying in one hit or a boss fight that's half a minute of stunlocking and nothing else, I'll take the one hit death every time.

Both are bad design, but Spark Mandrill's is so much worse.

• Options

Twice, unless you're playing on the easier mode.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Twice, unless you're playing on the easier mode.

Huh? I'm pretty sure you don't fight the Robot Masters extra times in Mega Man 2's 'difficult mode'.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Sorry, either quoted the wrong post or misspoke-- I meant he takes two Metal Blades to go down in the original specs/mode.

• Options
    Oh, okay, I gotcha.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fucking Christ the yellow devil in this one is nigh on impossible

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Once you get a feel for him, it's not so bad.

Hints:
    Use the bombs with the Power Gear when it forms up.
    When it forms a bunch of mini-Devils, the last one is vulnerable.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    You should check out the current speed runs for this game. The boss fights are nuts. They're super cool to watch.

https://megamanleaderboards.net/index.php?game=143&category=759

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options

Hints:
    The hardest part of that fight for me is dodging when the Devil goes full Naruto Gummi Bear. I'm still not great at it but I'm at least finally able to beat the boss reliably without an E-tank.

• Options
    edited November 2018

Hints:
    The hardest part of that fight for me is dodging when the Devil goes full Naruto Gummi Bear. I'm still not great at it but I'm at least finally able to beat the boss reliably without an E-tank.

It was a revelation for me when I found safe spots during that sequence that changed it from feeling impossible to dodge to actually fairly easy.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Think this is the first game where I just said fuck it and started using special weapons willy nilly in every stage. Its been very liberating.

Power gear Block Dropper is insane.

MAKE IT RAIN!

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Welp

Just tried to use Rush Coil by hitting X in Mega Man 7 and instead fell to my death