As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you put a case on your phone?

13»

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Yea, but only moderately durable.
    Sprint unlimited brother!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I use slim rubber/plastic cases for all my phones because rubber bounces and glass shatters.

Currently using one of these guys on my Galaxy s8
    Luxury-Soft-TPU-Phone-Case-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Wood-Pattern-Back-Cover-8-Plus-Shockproof.jpg_640x640.jpg

it looks and feels nice and only adds about a milimeter of dimension to the phone.

#pipe on
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I have the cheapest phone I could find at Cricket. I'm bitterly disappointed that it isn't a flip phone

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I like having a minimalist case to give a slight raise around the face, so that I can put my phone face down without worry. Plus my phone is an iPhone SE so even with a case on it's still smaller than 99% of other modern phones

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    As @sassori can verify by the number of times I have spilled or broken something in her house, I'm incredibly clumsy

So I buy the biggest, least likely to fit in a pocket option OtterBox sells, because I drop it at least once or twice a day, and the only time it failed me was when I accidentally crushed my Pixel between steel and concrete

I can verify that she drops things often.

As if they were hot.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I have opted to just not break my phone.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yup, but mostly for aesthetics and/ or other features.
    The biggest reason I got Apple's case is because it eliminates the camera bump and keeps the mute button from being switched on and off in my pocket. Also the buttons don't suck and are metal and responsive. It also gives the glass back a better grip without adding much bulk.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    Sterica wrote: »
    The biggest reason I got Apple's case is because it eliminates the camera bump and keeps the mute button from being switched on and off in my pocket. Also the buttons don't suck and are metal and responsive. It also gives the glass back a better grip without adding much bulk.
    It kinda says a lot that you have to get an accessory to make up for the shortcomings in the phone's original design.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    On that note my first phone apparently had a shortcut to snap a photo and I never figured it out myself, yet if it was in the pocket of my work pants while I was at said work, it would constantly take photos of lint.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sterica wrote: »
    It kinda says a lot that you have to get an accessory to make up for the shortcomings in the phone's original design.
    You could argue this for cases in general.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I don't have a case because it makes me feel alive everytime I get it out.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Yes but what about your phone?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Yes but what about your phone?

of course I don't have a dick for my phone

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I've got the old old Verizon unlimited so I plan on getting a refurbished Pixel 2 XL or something.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    No, but I have a protection plan.
    I have not used any cover for a decade. In that time phones fell various heights quite a few times, but over time I developed habits to stop it. I never really broke any. My S3 took a hit near the end of its lifespan where the touch screen lost responsiveness for a few horizontal lines.
    And in 2010 I dropped a phone from my breast pocket bending forward which discolored the screen but had no other effects.

I did take out a plan with this S7 Edge which I recently cancelled, as the replacement value has dropped.

I looked at what kind of protector you'd need to prevent anything, but it's all percentile based until you hit ridiculous blocks of rubber.
    And the thinness of the phone determines if it's comfortable in my trouser pocket.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yes, and it’s super durable.
    I wish lifeproof still offered cases in construction yellow and black. I've had to settle for green.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I got a Mous case and a glass screen protector for my X, that thing feels too damn fragile to risk going without them, even if I did get it through a work discount thing.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I put my phone in a case, and a cone on my face, and that's the way I likes it

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I have a case thst i bought for when I went snowboarding last. I also got a screen protector and k feel thst was probably a good idea.

I have since removed it.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    fucking phone costs $800 dollars

Xehalus on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My phone is thin and slippery, so I have a slightly rubbery case to hold onto. It's still plenty thin enough to fit in my pocket though.

I also have a matte screen protector because I like how it looks, and hate how glass screens feel without one.
    They must be going out of fashion though - I had to get one for a different model and trim it to fit my phone.

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I have a case so if I accidentally drop it it will be less likely to be damaged, as cases are not terribly expensive but my phone is more expensive.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I work construction, grading and demolition. Tons of dirt and rocks. My phone is currently sans case.

I bought and tried and otterbox which made my phone huge but dust would just get INSIDE the otterbox and then scratch the screen from there. Without the box I get scratches from dust getting into my pocket.

I'm trying to figure out a good solution, thoughts? Maybe a screen protector and a thin case?

Don't keep your phone on you all day. Leave it in a backpack, or lunchbox, or car and only check it during breaks. This is what i did when i landscaped because my phone would have 100% been destroyed through some accident.
    Yup.

My job is physical labor-based, so I keep my phone in my bag and use BT headphones.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I did have a case on mine but it was bulky and I have small hands, so I removed it. I have dropped my phone quite a few times, but it's still fine, just a few small marks here and there, screen's fine. It's just a Moto G4 Play so it's not too hard on my wallet to replace, I hope not to though, I just bought a new battery for it, which is a massive improvement on the old battery.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    Xehalus wrote: »
    fucking phone costs $800 dollars

Yeah, so I make sure to never drop them

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have a case but it's a bit pointless as NOTHING can stop me from annihilating a phone within a year of purchase.

Companies should send their phones and phone cases to me for stress testing. Can't be broken? WANNA BET?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    When I finally got a smartphone, within two weeks the screen cracked and completely broke the touchscreen. While it was in my pocket.

So when I finally got another smartphone you bet your ass I put a screen protector and a screen covering case on it.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I totally judge people with shattered screens.

However, they are definitely better than me, as I have broken not one, but two phones in my life because of video game anger, which makes me basically an ugly lizard who is also a murderer.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    No, but I have a protection plan.
    I’m on like my 5th iPhone, never had a case, never cracked a screen.

Which means I’ll drop mine tomorrow and it will literally explode.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I’m on like my 5th iPhone, never had a case, never cracked a screen.

Which means I’ll drop mine tomorrow and it will literally explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7gxStnBfbg

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    IPhone SE, so already on the smallish side. The transparent Speck case is surprisingly unobtrusive and durable. There is a little bit of grime that is sneaking into the cracks and seams however. I spend a lot of time in the sun so the UB damage to the clear transparent rubber pads on the edge is turning it into a sorta bourbon color. The transparency seems to confuse people who see it.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    i had a galaxy S4 active and now a galaxy S7 active specifically because i am prone to dropping my phone and they are very rugged/waterproof even without cases

i've got a fairly durable case on mine anyway so the phone itself is basically spotless

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I have never dropped a phone in such a way as to cause visible damage. I could leave my phone on a counter in the Apple Store and people would think that it dropped through a portal, fresh from the factory, from 2014. I guess I'm really good at holding onto things.

I mean, I did drop a kitchen knife on my foot so bad that I had to go to the hospital, twice, but I got phones on lockdown.

GDdCWMm.jpg