As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, Kids In Cages, etc

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Technically if they are on our side of the line and shooting folks trying to cross the line, as though they were an encroaching enemy, I don't think it really falls into posse comitatus concerns of any kind does it. Cause that's definitely the reasoning they would use.

How would that not be Posse Comitatus? If you're suggesting we treat it as War, that would then violate the War Powers Act.

So say we were in total wackadoo madeup land and did have a group of mexican military members cross the border into the states to try to make their way to a military base to take it for... whatever reason. Does the military meeting them and fighting them off violate posse comitatus? Is our military only for invasive offense?

No, because that wouldn't be an enforcement of domestic Federal Law action.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    A side note that posse comitatus is a law and not in the constitution

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    A side note that posse comitatus is a law and not in the constitution

A further side note that posse comitatus was passed as a part of the end of Reconstruction and it's specific and sole purpose is to prevent the federal government from enforcing equality for blacks upon former confederate states.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Kyle Griffin is a Producer for The Last Word on MSNBC

So the President is now declaring people to be "babies" if they don't believe there is a soldier-murdering horde of ravenous criminals charging for the border instead of, you know, a mass group of refugees.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also, you know, The Goddamn President of the United States of America is declaring a massive band of refugees to be a horde of soldier-murdering criminals.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Babies are always known for asking for firm evidence and proof.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Babies are always known for asking for firm evidence and proof.

It's a side effect of not having object permanence.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Remember, evidence is only needed for things the President doesn't like.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Remember, evidence is only needed for things the President doesn't like.

What if the refugees like beer?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Washington Post reporter:

Temporary philosophical skeptism is always appealing to liars.

• Options
    Trump: nihilistic solipsist.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This caravan thing is amazing because as far as a "I'm not racist" dodge goes, it is rooted in being racist toward another group of people.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Trump: nihilistic solipsist.

Conservatives are just starting to grok Post-Modernism. A ~generation behind it being avante garde.

Sounds about right.

moniker on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Not even post-modernism, just straight emotional reasoning mixed into the narcissism. What someone feels at this moment is reality and facts have no bearing on it, even facts like "I felt different five minutes ago." Critical thinking is hard, and that feels bad, so it's bad, so these types of people are even less likely to analyze their thoughts. It would be impossible for us to tell what is Trump being his usual compulsive liar self and what is his decaying broken synapses actively confabulating information and making word sounds.

Does he believe what he says? Does he even know what that means anymore? Are the lights even on in there and is anyone home? I'm not entirely sure there's a sapient being in that head most of the time, just a bunch of impulses trained to say words.

• Options
    They're talking about closing the border
    WASHINGTON — President Trump is considering taking executive action to bar migrants, including asylum seekers, from entering the country at the southern border, according to people familiar with the plan. The effort would be the starkest indication yet of Mr. Trump’s election-season push to play to his anti-immigrant base as his party fights to keep control of Congress.

The proposed executive action amounts to a sweeping use of presidential power to fortify the border and impose the kind of aggressive immigration restrictions and enforcement measures that Mr. Trump has made his signature pursuit.

It would also be the most drastic in a series of steps Mr. Trump has taken or threatened to take in recent days — including preparations on Thursday to send as many as 1,000 active-duty Army troops to help secure the southern border — as he works to stoke fears of what he has called an “onslaught” of immigrants only days before the midterm elections.

The president has capitalized this month on a group of thousands of Central American migrants trekking north through Mexico, many of them women and children believed to be seeking refuge from violence and economic hardship, to press his case that the United States is under siege from dangerous foreigners and must take harsh measures to hold them off. He said without evidence this week that criminals and “unknown Middle Easterners” were “mixed in” among the people in the migrant caravan, and has blamed its formation on Democrats, falsely charging that they support allowing immigrants to stream, unchecked, into the country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/us/politics/trump-army-border-mexico.html

I don't know what else to say right now

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The above following this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-trump/us-military-may-send-up-to-1000-troops-to-mexico-border-idUSKCN1MZ1NC
    WASHINGTON/PIJIJIAPAN, Mexico (Reuters) - President Donald Trump’s administration may send up to 1,000 active-duty troops to the U.S.-Mexico border, officials said on Thursday, as Trump hammered away at the issue of illegal immigration ahead of congressional elections.

Trump’s threat was sparked by the advance of a caravan of Central American migrants trekking through Mexico and headed toward the United States.

“I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency. They will be stopped!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said in an interview with the Fox News Channel that her department had asked the Pentagon for help to bolster its capabilities, including for “some air support ... some logistics, planning, vehicle barriers, engineering.”

She said the requested support was meant to help better protect the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) agents and ports of entry. How to meet the request is up to the Department of Defense, Nielsen added.

The preliminary DHS request could require deploying between 800 and 1,000 active-duty troops, two U.S. officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

This is legally utterly wrong. They are allowed to seek asylum at the border.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Sorry folks, America is closed. The moose should have told you.

moniker on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Worse than that.

(Javad Khazaeli states his relevant credentials in the tweet.)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its more calvinball bullshit from this admin.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Also factually incorrect. There is no way for someone without American parentage to apply for citizenship from overseas. You must first get a Green Card (and it ain’t easy.)

A lot of ordinary Republicans are morons and believe that there’s a simple way for foreigners to get citizenship, but for some reason illegal immigrants don’t want to take it (cutting the line or too lazy to fill out forms.) They’d probably be surprised (but pleased) to know it’s actually very hard.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I feel like it's less Calvinball and more frustration that his 'subtle' racism and xenophobia weren't working

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

I feel like it's less Calvinball and more frustration that his 'subtle' racism and xenophobia weren't working

Nah he's just gaslighting again, claiming that "these people" aren't going about citizenship the "right" way hoping his audience does not know there isn't a way.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's brown people are invading, we're at war, you must defend the white race on November 6.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Trump ranting white supremacy at the world because cable news is scaring him about brown people.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Isn't it cute how he thinks they're reading his asinine Twitter account?

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Trump ranting white supremacy at the world because cable news is scaring him about brown people.

Trump has been racist for at least as long as he's been a public figure.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    So like

Am I the only one who keeps thinking "oh god is this going to be our generation's Kent State" when reading the headlines about sending the military to the border?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    So like

Am I the only one who keeps thinking "oh god is this going to be our generation's Kent State" when reading the headlines about sending the military to the border?

No its scary because the military is not a border force. Putting them there is a scary situation.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So like

I'm not sure if anything is even gonna happen. This feels like Trump demanding action because the news is pushing this racist bullshit story hard and it's setting him off, combined with his desire to message on white supremacy to his base before the election. But I'm not sure if that actually translates to real action because his demands make no goddamn sense.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    So like

It absolutely will be. You don't send in the military for a situation where you have multiple other options (hell, even National Guard) unless you're trying to send a message that maximum force will be used.

• Options
    Its scary because the military is not trained for being on the border, and they'll have trump playing on loud speakers about the dangers of the immigrant horde plus ICE agents itching to start shooting. It's a lot of bad elements that could lead to something horrific.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So like

Actually the opposite. Kent State was National Guardsmen who didn't know what the fuck they were doing, but had rifles and goddamnit I said disperse. Copper bottomed soldiers who don't even want to be there are probably less likely to do anything stupid.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So like

Actually the opposite. Kent State was National Guardsmen who didn't know what the fuck they were doing, but had rifles and goddamnit I said disperse. Copper bottomed soldiers who don't even want to be there are probably less likely to do anything stupid.

I trust the active duty military to not shoot more than I trust a cop or a border patrol agent. They are taught way more discipline than the other two. Our military are volunteers. The grunts go through more training than some country's special forces. They are the disciplined side.

Also I think we tend to forget how large the border with Mexico is. It goes from Texas to Cali. 800-1000 soldiers will cover a small percent of it.

What is more scary is the fact the President is doing his normal going against norms, rules, and treaties which if ratified are laws to fulfill his paranoid fear of brown people. Most of which will resettle in Mexico before they even reach the border.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So like

I trust the active duty military to not shoot more than I trust a cop or a border patrol agent. They are taught way more discipline than the other two. Our military are volunteers. The grunts go through more training than some country's special forces. They are the disciplined side.

Also I think we tend to forget how large the border with Mexico is. It goes from Texas to Cali. 800-1000 soldiers will cover a small percent of it.

What is more scary is the fact the President is doing his normal going against norms, rules, and treaties which if ratified are laws to fulfill his paranoid fear of brown people. Most of which will resettle in Mexico before they even reach the border.

They're not necessarily going to disperse the soldiers across the entire border. They'll have a pretty good idea where the caravan will be headed before they get there.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    So like

They're not necessarily going to disperse the soldiers across the entire border. They'll have a pretty good idea where the caravan will be headed before they get there.

They are reinforcing the already large amount Guardsman there. My guess probably playing cards and standing around.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pentagon-plans-to-dispatch-800-more-troops-to-us-mexico-border-in-response-to-migrant-caravan/2018/10/25/6a121944-d868-11e8-83a2-d1c3da28d6b6_story.html?utm_term=.6ecd78f4cda7

Also reading through the DoD is doing its ass covering. Even if Trump wants guns the DoD is sending its equivalent of NG units for natural disasters.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So like

They are reinforcing the already large amount Guardsman there. My guess probably playing cards and standing around.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pentagon-plans-to-dispatch-800-more-troops-to-us-mexico-border-in-response-to-migrant-caravan/2018/10/25/6a121944-d868-11e8-83a2-d1c3da28d6b6_story.html?utm_term=.6ecd78f4cda7

Also reading through the DoD is doing its ass covering. Even if Trump wants guns the DoD is sending its equivalent of NG units for natural disasters.

So basically, relying on Trump not having the attention span to deal with rules lawyering?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    So like

While watching surveillance cameras.

Because the US military cannot enforce domestic policies.

This is stupid.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    So like

If it's ever pointed out to him and he actually grasps the concept, he'll use this as 'proof' we need more.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They wouldn't have to apply for asylum in the US at our border if the Trump administration had not ended the policy of allowing people to apply for asylum at their local US embassy and then wait in their own country for approval.

This discussion has been closed.