As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    This is the actual news post from blizzard which all the speculation is based on: https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22549433

Which, yeah, is all but saying D4 won't be announced at the show, maybe also hinting that they are working on D4 though.

So, based on the D3 thread here, it may not be quite that harsh. Apparently the Diablo fan speculation had been getting more and more extravagant, expecting basically half a dozen big announcements, and that could be what the Blizzard post is reacting to. Which means there could be a D4 announcement, even if it's just early stages.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Not to get too off topic for this particular thread, but I'm personally just expecting something along the same scope as the Necromancer DLC - like, another class, *maybe* a new area or two? Suppose it could be a full expansion for Diablo 3. But I assume some sort of D3 addon content.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Did they say no Diablo 4 for sure? Aw nertz.
    Here's the article where they basically said that if you were expecting Diablo 4, prepare to be disappointed:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-4-wont-be-at-blizzcon-according-to-new-blizzard-blog/
    Diablo fans are used to the property being.. let's go with "under-leveraged", so nobody will actually be disappointed.

I think it's odd that Blizzard announcing a new Diablo game would be faced with far more disappointment and anger from the fanbase (because it wasn't exactly how they imagined it) than not announcing anything.
    Odd, and a little funny.

Well fans aren't a monolith, but I think it's safe to gather that the direction Blizzard has been handling their properties these past couple of years mostly has people rightly hesitant for any new content that comes out, even as they want more.

I can see why people would be annoyed by a remake of Diablo 2 at the cost of a Diablo 4, because it wouldn't be a new Diablo game - it would just be present day Blizzard riding the coattails of Blizzard North's past success. Many Diablo fans want actual new content, which the Diablo series in general has distressingly traditionally been slow to get. But they're also hesitant at the idea of a Diablo 4 given how Blizzard had handled Diablo 3(game and story).

(the irony is that I think that if the RMAH had stayed in Diablo 3, it would have gotten substantially more content added to the game on a regular basis because it could have been a regular money maker for Blizzard, given they tend to largely ignore their unmonetized titles after release)

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I have fond memories of the original, it's probably my age when I played it but it felt like it have more atmosphere and it was actually terrifying to go down the dungeon, granted I was also too dumb to understand the concept of save/load so every run was an ironman attempt.

And then both the sequels went off in the other direction, I did enjoy them but it was never the same again,

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    WC4 would change my life

Please, please, please Blizzard. Diablo III was great, but we're still fifteen years since the last expansion to Warcraft III.

PLEASE!

I think it is extremely unlikely they'd announce Warcraft 4 at a Blizzcon where the main theme seems to be Diablo, but maybe???

Yeah, I really don't expect it either. The notion of a WC4 at any point is hard to buy, but while World of Warcraft is still running, even less so.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I wonder who they are making WC4 for at this point of time though, I am pretty sure the majority of Wow players will be more interested in Wow2 instead

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My Blizzcon predictions are as follows:

WoW:
    8.1 launch details
    8.2 preview
    Hints at further expansion content

SC2:
    Nothing noteworthy

HotS:
    New heroes, probably 2-3 announced
    New maps, 1 or 2

Diablo:
    Animated TV deal with Netflix
    One last "big" update for D3, perhaps another class or some new feature to keep this game alive just a little longer
    Hints at D4 but nothing concrete

Overwatch:
    A full expansion featuring a permanent PVE mode, perhaps competitive PVE between two teams
    A team-based Battle Royale mode as part of the full expansion. Quads. 4v4v4v4

Hearthstone:
    New cards

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Just read through this thread. Listen, if there's anyone who can do this, it's Blizzard: just rebrand each series as a giant service offering that encompasses all of its past games, and restore all of the old stuff so that it looks and plays well on new hardware.

So you have DIABLO, which is Diablo 1 HD, D2 HD, and D3, plus all of the expansions. You also announce a new D3 expansion. Or maybe even a new D2 expansion?! The sky is the limit at this point. All of this stuff is in one place! You can go hogwild. Introduce D1 seasons. Who knows.

Then you have WARCRAFT, which is maybe WC2 and WC3. I guess you can throw WC1 in here. Updated graphics or remaster or whatever.

Then you have STARCRAFT, where SC1 Remastered and the SC2 titles live.

I'm imagining that all of this is PC only, because I don't see how you do it on console. Also, to prevent huge game sizes, you allow people to just install those games they actually want, so you can still just install D3 or whatever without worrying about D1 and D2. But the core premise here is that you're combining each series under a fancy, slick umbrella and you offer some games-as-a-service functionality and you bring all of your old shit into the new fold.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I wonder who they are making WC4 for at this point of time though, I am pretty sure the majority of Wow players will be more interested in Wow2 instead

My biggest worry is, if they do make a WC4, how the hell am I going to catch up?
    I loved playing WC3 and the expansion, but my experience in WoW was a week or so on a 99 cent trial I bought way back when. I made a dwarf with a rifle and got killed by some goblins IIRC, then turned it off.

I know a lot of shit has gone down in the setting since then. Lovecraftian monsters, ancient gods, alien goat people (okay, the Dranei were in WC3, but still...), dragons that are considerably larger and meaner than anything in the RTS, etc... . I think I'd have to bury myself in a wiki hole for a week to feel like I had half an idea what was going on with any of it. Sure, you can tell a bit of backstory with in game exposition and cinematics, but there's substantially more than "A bit" of back story to catch up on.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »

My biggest worry is, if they do make a WC4, how the hell am I going to catch up?
    I loved playing WC3 and the expansion, but my experience in WoW was a week or so on a 99 cent trial I bought way back when. I made a dwarf with a rifle and got killed by some goblins IIRC, then turned it off.

I know a lot of shit has gone down in the setting since then. Lovecraftian monsters, ancient gods, alien goat people (okay, the Dranei were in WC3, but still...), dragons that are considerably larger and meaner than anything in the RTS, etc... . I think I'd have to bury myself in a wiki hole for a week to feel like I had half an idea what was going on with any of it. Sure, you can tell a bit of backstory with in game exposition and cinematics, but there's substantially more than "A bit" of back story to catch up on.

Seeing as how Blizzard is notorious when it comes to ret-conning their lore, they can just say that WoW was in an alternate pocket-reality, and WC4 picks up after TFT and is the real story of what happened next.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    you guys are funny :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    For that virtual ticket price Mastodon or Porter Robinson better be opening.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Blizzard will announce they're jumping on the Battle Royal bandwagon and releasing a BR game 6 years from now.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I've always felt that should Blizzard make a WC4, one of the features they should tout is the ability to import one of your characters from WoW into the game as a hireable hero in place of the Altar heroes they had in WC3. They don't necessarily need to program every possible transmog in the game to account for WoW, but give them some level of customization above the built-in Rando McHeronames to set them apart so players feel like their character is part of the war. You could even have cross-promotions like Blizzard loves to do nowadays where you can clear difficult content to unlock cosmetics and toys for WoW.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I kept seeing that there would be a new D3 expac rather than an entirely new game. While I hope for major warcraft 3 updates and warcraft 4 the reality is that broodwar remastered is taking up a lot of that team's time

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's bizarre to me that people are so gung ho for 'remastered' games

like I loved the shit out of diablo 2 but I don't feel any need to revisit it now, especially when D3 is a superior product that's all but lying fallow

who wants to play WC2/3 again when you could be playing SC2, etc

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    WC3 is significantly different from SC2

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    You can't really play D2 on modern day PCs, especially with 4k. I used to play it on a 1080p monitor, but even back then, the game was stretched or too small in windows mode.

I for one believe people will enjoy D2 again much more with some life breathed into the game. I don't know if POE has run its course, but there is definitely a cry for D2 remastered in the fan community, especially those tired of D3.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I'm excited for both d2 and war3. I wanna play the war craft campaign again, but not at that resolution with that big ass UI. Also wasn't d2 480 resolution?

I'm curious to see if they make d2 compatible with the old version, the same way sc2 is. I think the dupe market might ruin it though.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'm excited for both d2 and war3. I wanna play the war craft campaign again, but not at that resolution with that big ass UI. Also wasn't d2 480 resolution?

I'm curious to see if they make d2 compatible with the old version, the same way sc2 is. I think the dupe market might ruin it though.

The SC remastered shares online activity with original SC players, which is probably why SC original and Brood War are free now.

D2 is 800x600 in LOD upgraded graphics mode.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'll definitely play D2 remastered. I love that game and always get the itch to play it.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I played a huge amount of Diablo 2 back in the day but I don't think I could go back. It was a product of its time. There are a lot of modern quality of life advancements present in Diablo 3 - I suspect I would go crazy trying to play without them.

I would actually really love a Warcraft 4 though. Not sure how they could fit that into the lore with WoW still ongoing. I'm sure its possible. That said I have no reason to believe they are working on Warcraft 4.... as opposed to Diablo 4, which even if it is years away they are almost certainly working on.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

The SC remastered shares online activity with original SC players, which is probably why SC original and Brood War are free now.

D2 is 800x600 in LOD upgraded graphics mode.

The "original SC" is now literally SC remastered, stuck in the old school graphics mode. As of 1.18, SC doesn't work on ancient computers because it switched from using DirectDraw to OpenGL 2.x and also uses a lot more RAM.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    After having played as much D3 as I have, there's no way I could play D2 anymore. That game has so many bad systems by today's standards.

Now. This won't happen. And I'm probably in the minority for wanting it. But I would totally play a "Diablo 2.5" where they actually put some new work on improving the game to modernize it a bit and make some of the old, archaic systems more player friendly. I'd completely scrap charms. I'd add some auto-fill style inventory management to the Horadric cube. Make it work more like Kanai's Cube in D3. I'd give all the talent trees a hard scrubbing to make bad talents more interesting and try to streamline it a bit. I'd change the way run and stamina works so that you are always running and not taking a defense penalty for doing so. And a lot more small QoL changes too.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I sit here and think about if I were to play Diablo 2 I would want ...

to not have to stock up on potions or scrolls

to have rifts be a thing

for drop rates to be better

and then I think to myself gee I guess I just want the D2 classes to be put into D3

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Diablo 2.5 is actually PoE

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    PoE is fine, and has some interesting original ideas for keeping endgame stuff fresh that I'm pretty sure D3 eventually ripped off some of with rifts, and it's clearly a love letter to D2 more than D3 is, but it's different enough that it doesn't scratch quite the same itch as D2 for me. I think there's value at the very least in remastering D2 so that it can actually run at arbitrary resolutions without being in a tiny window, for preservation purposes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

to have rifts be a thing

and then I think to myself gee I guess I just want the D2 classes to be put into D3

Put the music of D2 into D3 and the D3 music gets flushed down the toilet.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I doubt we are getting a D3 expansion since the Switch version is coming out on the same day as Blizzcon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

to have rifts be a thing

I gripe about this every time it comes up but I think World of Warcraft drove their good composers away or sucked their talent out like Space Jam. Matt Uelmen, who composed the Diablo and D2 soundtracks, left in 2007 with the people who went on to create Runic Games and make Torchlight. Apparently Runic closed up shop last year though, maybe he's on the market again. Glenn Stafford, who did the Warcraft 2 and terran Starcraft soundtracks, apparently still works at Blizzard, but I wouldn't have guessed that without looking it up because their non-cinematic/WoW title screen soundtracks have been garbage for so long. Ugh. Just personal opinions about the music quality obviously, I know not everyone agrees with me that WoW and D3 have terrible unmemorable music. At least I liked SC2's terran themes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

to have rifts be a thing

I'd really be happy if Respec was in and free. That's all.
    Edit: and to not have to play at potato resolution.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If Diablo 2 remastered happens, the only way I'll pick it up is if it has some quality-of-life changes. Anything that makes it less straining on my once-broken wrist, I mean. And maybe configurable buttons so I'm not having to use the Function row for shortcuts.

Also they have to fix all the goddamn under the hood problems, like the damage field in the character sheet being incorrect after you gain 12 levels or so.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Uhhh D2:LoD has always had configurable buttons.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Uhhh D2:LoD has always had configurable buttons.
    Has it? I don't remember that.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The D2 campaign in the D3 engine, then? That would be nice, because I really enjoyed the lore of D2, and I really don’t care at all about the story in D3. But the gameplay in D3 is vastly superior to D2. So ... best of both worlds?

• Options
    I'd need to see a decent way of changing my talent choices this time around rather than the idea that you should already have your build planned ahead of time and don't invest any points into lower level skills beyond the minimum needed for pre-reqs or risk permanently "ruining" your character.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Brevik claimed that the source code was probably lost (seeing as Blizz North was shut), if so it would be really hard to do a mere remaster.

The later D2 patches introduced respecs, you get one free one per difficulty level, and can get more by collecting parts from a bunch of hell diff side bosses. So that would be in any re-release at a minimum.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I doubt we are getting a D3 expansion since the Switch version is coming out on the same day as Blizzcon.

Why does this make it less likely? I would think they'd be eager to charge for a DLC expansion on the Switch whenever the expansion launches (assuming it'd be a few months later). How did they handle the Necromancer stuff on console?

(Just checked, yeah, it was DLC there too.)

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

to have rifts be a thing

I gripe about this every time it comes up but I think World of Warcraft drove their good composers away or sucked their talent out like Space Jam. Matt Uelmen, who composed the Diablo and D2 soundtracks, left in 2007 with the people who went on to create Runic Games and make Torchlight. Apparently Runic closed up shop last year though, maybe he's on the market again. Glenn Stafford, who did the Warcraft 2 and terran Starcraft soundtracks, apparently still works at Blizzard, but I wouldn't have guessed that without looking it up because their non-cinematic/WoW title screen soundtracks have been garbage for so long. Ugh. Just personal opinions about the music quality obviously, I know not everyone agrees with me that WoW and D3 have terrible unmemorable music. At least I liked SC2's terran themes.

Wtf, who's making Torchlight Frontier?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Warcraft is an RPG franchise now, it hasn't been even RTS-adjacent in 15 years. If they make another RTS I think it'll be Starcraft, but not for a long time since it's not that big a genre and SC2 is still active.

Considering how many full teams at Blizzard are doing full-time maintenance of their "service" games, I don't think they even can make a lot of brand new games at once these days. D4 is in the works for sure, they've got their retro team who will I'm guessing will do D2, and what other teams are free to take on a big project? As far as the public is aware, there's no one else. So I think they won't be making another full original game until after D4 comes out and maybe one of the other projects is long in the tooth.