As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jeremy Bearimy

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    "I'mma eat all this chili. And/or die trying."

Yep. Been there, too.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    That old adage, you put the peeps in the chili pot and eat it all together.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Jason being the embodiment of Florida Man will never get old.
    “We’re technically supposed to shut down the bank if anyone from Florida even walks in”

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Very hard to predict where this show is heading, but it seems like
    It's fairly obvious that being good when you know you're doomed for hell is worth lots of good points, we already saw that in the first season.

I think that everyone will get good points for being good, except for Eleanor, because she's the only one smart enough to realize that she might still be getting good points even if she's doomed on paper.

It would be an interesting flip on the season two finale, where she her self-awareness made her the only one who passed the test.

Also, the implication is that only atheists go to heaven?

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Sleep wrote: »
    Jeremy Bearimy

This broke me.

EDIT : Chidi is RIPPED!

MorganV on
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Jeremy Bearimy

This broke me.

EDIT : Chidi is RIPPED!

As Elanor said in Season 1, he is "surprisingly jacked". Nice to see that line pay off.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Very hard to predict where this show is heading, but it seems like
    It's fairly obvious that being good when you know you're doomed for hell is worth lots of good points, we already saw that in the first season.

I think that everyone will get good points for being good, except for Eleanor, because she's the only one smart enough to realize that she might still be getting good points even if she's doomed on paper.

It would be an interesting flip on the season two finale, where she her self-awareness made her the only one who passed the test.

Also, the implication is that only atheists go to heaven?

But
    Even if she couldn't get in on that technicality she is trying to help everyone else regardless so that might work in her favor

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The explanation for how time works in the afterlife was brilliant.

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I'm calling it now that the bartender was the judge.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I'm calling it now that the bartender was the judge.

I'm calling it now, the bartender was Shawn.

Screw it, the chance of getting it right is less than my chance of getting into the Good Place. But if it pays off, I'll be lording it over everyone for the remainder of the show's run.

Being an asshole when I'm right on longshots is one of the reasons I'm not going to the Good Place.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Well I am calling it now: The entire wallet thing?
    Totally a setup by the real good place. If the bad place can send Demons to the world, then the Original Good Place(OGP) can send (angels?! good souls) and in the end Elanor suggest something that would be totally up the OGP alley. In fact, it would probably what people that reach the OGP would do. Genuinly good people would not accept the system as it is.
    In any case the guy that lost the Wallet? a agent/pawn of the OGP.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I spent several minutes trying to figure out if Chidi is ripped or if he’s jacked. The answer was yes.

Jesus.

Also best ethics class ever. And I’ve slept through a few in my day.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If they sold one of those tshirts I would totally buy it

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I've been greeting my friends today with "Hey man, you want to talk to god?"
    I may have gotten several weirded out looks. :wink: Not enough of my friends watch the Good Place apparently.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    That was such a great episode.

Jeremy Bearimy episode spoilers
    Man, the timeline explanation is just phenomenal. And the dot over the i really did break me. Janet's line: "that's my birthday" finished the job.

"I was just trying to sell you some drugs and you made it weird." was great too.

Though the very best joke of the episode was Michael typing out his manifesto (By Micahel) on the keyboard. Janet's helplessness and exasperation was palpable and so delicious.

This has been the best day of my week and I'll remember it forever. Because Jason got Tacos. and married.

Eleanor taking video right at the end is just a bit mean, but super funny, so maybe she won't lose any points.

steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I think the
    Janet's Birthday
    joke was my favourite joke out of any TV show in a while.

Just perfectly delivered, also

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, but I love literally everything about this show.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I've been reading a great book about Time by Carlo Rovelli, a quantum physicist. The dot over the 'i' broke my brain too. :lol:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I liked the Jeremy Bearimy thing because it seemed like they were going to poke at wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey, but it was literally just the word Jeremy Bearimy.

steam_sig.png
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Every location in this ep was a riff on Finding Nemo.

The bar was Drinking Nemo
    The grocery store was Bagging Nemo Grocery
    The bank was Financing Nemo Bank

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The best joke was that as great as helmsworth is and as ridiculous as it is he is self conscious about being in his brothers shadows

We as an audience also forgot about him. Just “ohhhhh shit yeah...”

Poor dude

616610-1.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I spent several minutes trying to figure out if Chidi is ripped or if he’s jacked. The answer was yes.

Jesus.

How in the fuck does Chidi even choose which gym to go to when he can't even decide between two different places to sit or two different muffins.
    And then the rest of his time must be spent sat in front of a laptop writing.
    I am perplexed. :P :lol:

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Jesus.

How in the fuck does Chidi even choose which gym to go to when he can't even decide between two different places to sit or two different muffins.

Repeatedly picking up and then putting down heavy textbooks because he can't decide which one to read.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

Jesus.

Repeatedly picking up and then putting down heavy textbooks because he can't decide which one to read.

It is the Hollywood Nerd effect. The character is played by a non nerd actor.

Krathoon on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This was my favorite Ted Danson acting yet.

The first 5 minutes was hilarious.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I just love that every bit of speculation I ever had about this show was immediately proved wrong by the next episode. It's bonkersville.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone got screens of the poster board in the beginning or the computer screen?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone got screens of the poster board in the beginning or the computer screen?
    I have one of the computer screen. They even use LibreOffice, like sane good people. :P
    hb4f1jpedtjm.png

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I grabbed a couple for you - https://imgur.com/a/l1YNp5c

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

Jesus.

He could also have one of those pull up bars set up in his apartment somewhere, and he just goes to town whenever he's confused about something

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Jesus.

Since he couldn’t possibly decide between any of the gyms in his area, he is forced to go to all of them, hence the “ripped.”

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    so what about Simone now

what a happy day it is
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Watched the S3 opener. Going to go slower this season (mostly thanks to NBC online doing ads).

Can I just say how much I love...
    That Tahani decided to become a Tibetan Monk? Like.. NO ONE pointed out that such is the life she decided to live. And she was actually doing well at it! As someone who has a LOT of stuff and can't part with it, to be as successful as she was, for even such a short time, was like.. damn. It was superficial and running away, but..

Oh yeah, and I loved that it parallel'ed Michael's torture for her.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Oh my god, Chidi had me rolling in this episode.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Oh my god, Chidi had me rolling in this episode.

Nihilistic Chidi is the best Chidi!

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The entire episode was amazing.

I at first thought Jeremy Bearimy was going to be another Medium Place person, but it was so much better.

My favorite part was
    Tahani and Jason just giving away handfuls of money. Like, it’s the sweetest and most heart-warming thing to see when a lot of the world is bleak and greedy and cynical. How many folks just need a little bit to get on their feet or keep going? How would you feel if someone just walked up on the street and gave you whatever amount you needed to get you going again? In the world where a billion dollar lottery exists, I think about that and using it like that and it really spoke to me.

Turns out this show is pretty good.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Fully caught up! Or, at least, through ep 4, which I think is the most recent one. I also watched all of Season 1 again with my parents.

I'm absolutely loving it.
    I love Janet reacting to news that Jason and Tahani are married, again, by just.. twitching. You can just see it in her reactions. I wonder, can she be reset now that her neighborhood has been disassembled?

.. Also interestingly, her powers don't work in the Medium place, but they do in the Bad Place and in the entryway area.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Fully caught up! Or, at least, through ep 4, which I think is the most recent one. I also watched all of Season 1 again with my parents.

I'm absolutely loving it.
    I love Janet reacting to news that Jason and Tahani are married, again, by just.. twitching. You can just see it in her reactions. I wonder, can she be reset now that her neighborhood has been disassembled?

.. Also interestingly, her powers don't work in the Medium place, but they do in the Bad Place and in the entryway area.
    I think shes just not allowed in the medium place since a Janet can only be one alignment.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.