As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I sit here and think about if I were to play Diablo 2 I would want ...

to not have to stock up on potions or scrolls

to have rifts be a thing

for drop rates to be better

and then I think to myself gee I guess I just want the D2 classes to be put into D3

Put the music of D2 into D3 and the D3 music gets flushed down the toilet.

I gripe about this every time it comes up but I think World of Warcraft drove their good composers away or sucked their talent out like Space Jam. Matt Uelmen, who composed the Diablo and D2 soundtracks, left in 2007 with the people who went on to create Runic Games and make Torchlight. Apparently Runic closed up shop last year though, maybe he's on the market again. Glenn Stafford, who did the Warcraft 2 and terran Starcraft soundtracks, apparently still works at Blizzard, but I wouldn't have guessed that without looking it up because their non-cinematic/WoW title screen soundtracks have been garbage for so long. Ugh. Just personal opinions about the music quality obviously, I know not everyone agrees with me that WoW and D3 have terrible unmemorable music. At least I liked SC2's terran themes.

Wtf, who's making Torchlight Frontier?

Echtra Games, a new studio created by Max Schaefer who left Runic in 2016. I guess they negotiated the rights to the franchise.

• FremFrem Registered User regular

to have rifts be a thing

and then I think to myself gee I guess I just want the D2 classes to be put into D3

I gripe about this every time it comes up but I think World of Warcraft drove their good composers away or sucked their talent out like Space Jam. Matt Uelmen, who composed the Diablo and D2 soundtracks, left in 2007 with the people who went on to create Runic Games and make Torchlight. Apparently Runic closed up shop last year though, maybe he's on the market again. Glenn Stafford, who did the Warcraft 2 and terran Starcraft soundtracks, apparently still works at Blizzard, but I wouldn't have guessed that without looking it up because their non-cinematic/WoW title screen soundtracks have been garbage for so long. Ugh. Just personal opinions about the music quality obviously, I know not everyone agrees with me that WoW and D3 have terrible unmemorable music. At least I liked SC2's terran themes.

Echtra Games, led by Max Schaefer (one of Runic's co-founders) and some other Runic folk. ...It's complicated:
    Max Schaefer left Runic before Perfect World killed the studio, splitting in 2016 to start Echtra with former Diablo fellas Tyler Thompson and David Glenn. Erich Schaefer, Max’s brother and fellow co-founder, had left Runic even earlier, going with third founder Travis Baldree in 2014 to form Double Damage Games and make Rebel Galaxy. Echtra are owned by Perfect World but it still must be super weird to work on a series after your parent company killed the studio you founded to make it.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

to have rifts be a thing

Echtra Games, a new studio created by Max Schaefer who left Runic in 2016. I guess they negotiated the rights to the franchise.

Hmmm, well I'm still hopeful. I'm hoping Torchlight Frontier scratches that itch I had since Torchlight 2

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    90% of us getting a D4 is that they will probably turn it into "service" style revenue. WoW, Overwatch, HoTS, Hearthstone already have this down and won't be needing sequels per say. That kind of practice also more or less stops them from releasing new games in similar genres as their active ones.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    see317 wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    I wonder who they are making WC4 for at this point of time though, I am pretty sure the majority of Wow players will be more interested in Wow2 instead

My biggest worry is, if they do make a WC4, how the hell am I going to catch up?
    I loved playing WC3 and the expansion, but my experience in WoW was a week or so on a 99 cent trial I bought way back when. I made a dwarf with a rifle and got killed by some goblins IIRC, then turned it off.

I know a lot of shit has gone down in the setting since then. Lovecraftian monsters, ancient gods, alien goat people (okay, the Dranei were in WC3, but still...), dragons that are considerably larger and meaner than anything in the RTS, etc... . I think I'd have to bury myself in a wiki hole for a week to feel like I had half an idea what was going on with any of it. Sure, you can tell a bit of backstory with in game exposition and cinematics, but there's substantially more than "A bit" of back story to catch up on.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, if they did wind up making a WC4, if they just pull an Everquest 2 and set it hundreds of years in the future after some great calamity knocked out civilization long enough for records and knowledge of the past (specifically the next 10-20 years of WoW) to have become lost.

Undead Scottsman on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I really don't think that it would be all that difficult to introduce WC4. From a story perspective really not much has changed at the 10,000 foot viee. There will be new units and races introduced but you still have major story items that roughly line up with the end of frozen throne. Maybe there would be a lot of "but I heard about [thing] where is it?" That can be hand waved away in some sort of cataclysmic event.

That's assuming of course they don't use what scottsman suggested and simply time jump to somewhere. There are literally dragons that can do that. They could even go to an alternate timeline and do what MK 9 did. Try to fix all their mistakes following frozen throne with the knowledge of the future only to fuck it up worse or retread th same steps because they didn't understand completely there giving the player a crash course in anything they want to keep.

WingedWeasel on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I still want to see Blizzard set a Diablo game in the past as a prequel.

Set a game during the time of Tal'Rasha, Bul Kathos, the original Horadrim, and all of the other great heroes of lore.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    They have no reason to make WC4. There's only one viable RTS game in the planet, and that's SC2. Lore is irrelevant, they change and remake lore whenever they feel like.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I miss when Blizzard would make games to be fun, not to be viable or a continuous revenue stream or whatever. I know, I'm old. I'll go select a cane to shake at them.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    I wonder who they are making WC4 for at this point of time though, I am pretty sure the majority of Wow players will be more interested in Wow2 instead

My biggest worry is, if they do make a WC4, how the hell am I going to catch up?
    I loved playing WC3 and the expansion, but my experience in WoW was a week or so on a 99 cent trial I bought way back when. I made a dwarf with a rifle and got killed by some goblins IIRC, then turned it off.

I know a lot of shit has gone down in the setting since then. Lovecraftian monsters, ancient gods, alien goat people (okay, the Dranei were in WC3, but still...), dragons that are considerably larger and meaner than anything in the RTS, etc... . I think I'd have to bury myself in a wiki hole for a week to feel like I had half an idea what was going on with any of it. Sure, you can tell a bit of backstory with in game exposition and cinematics, but there's substantially more than "A bit" of back story to catch up on.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, if they did wind up making a WC4, if they just pull an Everquest 2 and set it hundreds of years in the future after some great calamity knocked out civilization long enough for records and knowledge of the past (specifically the next 10-20 years of WoW) to have become lost.

There's nothing stopping you from making WC4 a "WoW's Greatest Hits" plotline, cleaning up some of the clumsier or more superflous points, etc., and saving a bunch for DLC games. If they didn't want to wait for expansions (like WC2 and WC3 had), they could pursue the episodic route like they did with Nova's campaign in SC2, though it'd probably be just as profitable to put out a Humans/Alliance Edition, an Orcs/Horde Edition after that, etc.

Story seems like the least of issues, next to the utterly huge massive juggernaut that is WoW, the most successful MMORPG on the planet. If they really wanted, they could go with "Okay, Warcraft IV will launch in 2019/2020 with a Human campaign featuring one or two side Horde or other-focused side stories. In two years, we'll follow it up with a full Orcish campaign, etc." You'd have +5 years between the events of WoW and the events of WCIV while still being technically concurrent and not flushing the last 15 years down the toilet. You'd miss out on the synergy, granted, but you'd also avoid the gigantic headache of having to reconcile everything as it plays out (especially with the adjustments to any given WoW expansion's storyline based on player feedback).

The question, I think, is why? Since Starcraft wasn't going to get it's third-person action game (I'm firmly convinced many story assets were folded in, especially into Nova's missions), it made sense to resurrect it as a strategy game. But aside from making a significant but not huge chunk of their fanbase boil over with excitement, Half-Life 3 style, why? It'd be a lot of work compared to just putting out another WoW expansion and trying to make sure it's not completely terrible at least. For all their good and bad, Blizzard's pretty efficient with their own workload and where they put effort.

But I'm saying this as one of the people who'd boil over in excitement.

I really want to see Blizzard branch out their IPs into other genres.

I want to see a Souls-like game set in the Warcraft universe. Give me like 5 or 6 premade character choices and balance the campaign around that. Orc Warrior with 2H axe. Human footsoldier with Sword and Shield. Elf Mage. And so forth. But give me a really visceral hack'n'slashy, skill driven game.

I also want a StarCraft game set in the build/craft/dig/survive genre. Put the game on an alien planet. All players are Terran. Players can build bases, small craft like Vultures and Goliath suits and stuff. Make it a PVE/PVP game where players can fight each other as different terran factions, and have the PVE enemies be a constant zerg threat. Use the Protoss as special game event invasions that only show up sometimes, but shake up the strategy. Basically, it would be a base building game kinda like Conan Exiles or ARK, but set in space.

I also want to see them try their hand at a traditional JRPG turn-based, story driven RPG in the Diablo universe. Let me have a party of like 4 dudes and fight the forces of evil in turn based combat.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I want to see a Souls-like game set in the Warcraft universe. Give me like 5 or 6 premade character choices and balance the campaign around that. Orc Warrior with 2H axe. Human footsoldier with Sword and Shield. Elf Mage. And so forth. But give me a really visceral hack'n'slashy, skill driven game.

I also want a StarCraft game set in the build/craft/dig/survive genre. Put the game on an alien planet. All players are Terran. Players can build bases, small craft like Vultures and Goliath suits and stuff. Make it a PVE/PVP game where players can fight each other as different terran factions, and have the PVE enemies be a constant zerg threat. Use the Protoss as special game event invasions that only show up sometimes, but shake up the strategy. Basically, it would be a base building game kinda like Conan Exiles or ARK, but set in space.

I also want to see them try their hand at a traditional JRPG turn-based, story driven RPG in the Diablo universe. Let me have a party of like 4 dudes and fight the forces of evil in turn based combat.

Let us not forget Starcraft Ghost. That game was supposed to be great, but Blizzard's giant risk on making a spinoff game didn't make it past beta.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »

Let us not forget Starcraft Ghost. That game was supposed to be great, but Blizzard's giant risk on making a spinoff game didn't make it past beta.

Blizzard also wasn't making it. They farmed it out to an out-of-house developer.

I'm sure Ghost would have been amazing if it was developed in-house at Blizzard. But they didn't work on it.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I miss when Blizzard would make games to be fun, not to be viable or a continuous revenue stream or whatever. I know, I'm old. I'll go select a cane to shake at them.

I mean, they always made games to make money. And many people find WoW, Overwatch, HotS, Hearthstone, & Diablo very fun. So it kind of feels like you're just complaining 'cause it's phrased badly, but the actual specific points don't hold up? :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I mean, they always made games to make money. And many people find WoW, Overwatch, HotS, Hearthstone, & Diablo very fun. So it kind of feels like you're just complaining 'cause it's phrased badly, but the actual specific points don't hold up? :)

Nah, I kinda see where he's coming from. It's not that they never made games to make money or anything like that. But their games have definitely become a lot more loot boxy and/or cash grabby in recent times. I dunno, I've been starting to get disillusioned even and I am someone who used to absolutely love this company...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Warcraft is an RPG franchise now, it hasn't been even RTS-adjacent in 15 years. If they make another RTS I think it'll be Starcraft, but not for a long time since it's not that big a genre and SC2 is still active.

Considering how many full teams at Blizzard are doing full-time maintenance of their "service" games, I don't think they even can make a lot of brand new games at once these days. D4 is in the works for sure, they've got their retro team who will I'm guessing will do D2, and what other teams are free to take on a big project? As far as the public is aware, there's no one else. So I think they won't be making another full original game until after D4 comes out and maybe one of the other projects is long in the tooth.
    They could always make a game that compromises between RTS and RPG. Which is to say, Savage. That but Warcraft would be frickin' gold.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    That's fair, they always made games to make money. Maybe its just my own aging but I feel like the company was excited to put out the next game in the series or start a new series and now they are just trying to see how best to extract money from me. I have had a lot of fun with WoW, HOTS, Hearthstone, and Diablo III to be fair. I've also come to the conclusion that I'm not really the target demographic for any of them and have stopped playing them, except for seasons in Diablo III.

My comment was mainly a response to "SCII is the only viable RTS" on the planet and as that is a Blizzard game they have no need to make another RTS game. It feels true to me. As I'm not Blizzard I can't say for sure but it makes me sad because I really enjoyed Warcraft II and III. I would most likely buy and enjoy Warcraft IV.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Nah, I kinda see where he's coming from. It's not that they never made games to make money or anything like that. But their games have definitely become a lot more loot boxy and/or cash grabby in recent times. I dunno, I've been starting to get disillusioned even and I am someone who used to absolutely love this company...

I love Blizzard as much as the next guy, probably more, but I'm no going to pretend Overwatch didn't pioneer and revolutionize predatory lootbox sales on a non-mobile platform a $40 retail product.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

I think Diablo would be a great setting for a souls-like. The story would also benefit from being told through item descriptions and not overly chatty enemies like d3 was. Also you should just be like a regularish dude, and not the Uber powerful nephalem.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I mean, I'd obviously LOVE if they made a new WarCraft RTS (especially because I'd get to localize it for Brazil), or any other sort of crazy different things. But I won't hope for it, because that only leads to disappointment. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised if they actually make it.

camo_sig2.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Blizzard should make the zerg go back in time and merge with Diablo and they could call the game Zergablo.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    This Blizzard talk makes me want to go back to Diablo 3, but if I did that I'd want to play the Necromancer and I'm not sure I want to spend $15 on a new class, even if it is my all-time favorite one.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Blizzard should make the zerg go back in time and merge with Diablo and they could call the game Zergablo.

They can go back in time and join with the Forsaken. Then we could have a mashup game called.. er... Warcraft.

StarCraft?

Fuck.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited October 2018
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

They can go back in time and join with the Forsaken. Then we could have a mashup game called.. er... Warcraft.

StarCraft?

Fuck.

StwarCraft

Undead Scottsman on
    well all the games have the same basic story.
    Great warrior that gets corrupted, the evil darkness is coming to destroy everything if enemies don't get together...
    Sylvanas is Kerrigan is Leah
    Arthas is D1 guy
    Draenei are Protoss are Angels

I love blizz, but they have a couple of basic story arcs they just can't get enough of.

camo_sig2.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Well, I wouldn't count Leah in that since all indications are
    she's just straight up dead, no indication she's ever coming back right now.

Leah was never even evil in any way either, much less the way Sylv and Kerrigan are. (Genocidal faction leaders)

Donnicton on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I doubt we are getting a D3 expansion since the Switch version is coming out on the same day as Blizzcon.

Why does this make it less likely? I would think they'd be eager to charge for a DLC expansion on the Switch whenever the expansion launches (assuming it'd be a few months later). How did they handle the Necromancer stuff on console?

(Just checked, yeah, it was DLC there too.)

Switch version is supposed to come out with all the DLC so you have a complete set. Announcing new DLC the day the Switch version comes out would be a dick move.

steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I doubt we are getting a D3 expansion since the Switch version is coming out on the same day as Blizzcon.

Why does this make it less likely? I would think they'd be eager to charge for a DLC expansion on the Switch whenever the expansion launches (assuming it'd be a few months later). How did they handle the Necromancer stuff on console?

Switch version is supposed to come out with all the DLC so you have a complete set. Announcing new DLC the day the Switch version comes out would be a dick move.

Oh oh!

What if it's "surprise, new DLC the same day the Switch version comes out! Oh and the Switch version comes with it included already!"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Donnicton wrote: »

Leah was never even evil in any way either, much less the way Sylv and Kerrigan are. (Genocidal faction leaders)

Wasn't the implication that Leah
    Didn't just die, but was completely obliterated. Like even her soul was destroyed.

God damn that character got done dirty. It still annoys me a lot.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    90% of us getting a D4 is that they will probably turn it into "service" style revenue. WoW, Overwatch, HoTS, Hearthstone already have this down and won't be needing sequels per say. That kind of practice also more or less stops them from releasing new games in similar genres as their active ones.

yeah absolutely, service-style games are way more reliably profitable. At least that doesn't mean it won't be diablo-y though, the diablo formula is pretty well suited to forever-game style stuff already I think.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited October 2018
    well all the games have the same basic story.
    Great warrior that gets corrupted, the evil darkness is coming to destroy everything if enemies don't get together...
    Sylvanas is Kerrigan is Leah
    Arthas is D1 guy
    Draenei are Protoss are Angels

I love blizz, but they have a couple of basic story arcs they just can't get enough of.

Not all of these are correct assessments.

Kerrigan and Sylvanas do definitely share a similar genesis. Kerrigan was betrayed and abandoned by Mengsk. Sylvanas was betrayed and turned by the Lich King.

However. Leah is literally nothing like them. Not at all. Kerrigan and Sylvanas's betrayal gives them an understandable place of rage, lust for revenge, and feeling of abandonment by their own kind.

Leah never went through the same betrayal or abandonment. Yes, she was turned against her will. But the circumstances leading to that turning are radical enough that it's not the same. Also, once Diablo was in control of her body, Leah ceased to be. Kerrigan is still Kerrigan, and she is still responsible for her actions. Likewise with Sylvanas. But Leah has no control, no say in the matter. Leah no longer exists. There is only Diablo.

And the D1 guy is literally nothing at all like Arthas, if you are referring to the prince who was sacrificed by Lazarus. The prince was a weakling and an unwilling sacrifice. If you are instead referring to the Diablo 1 player character who ends the game by shoving the soulstone into his head, again, that is nothing like Arthas. The Diablo 1 player character did what they did because they believed they were strong enough that they could contain the power and control it. The D1 player character is actually much more similarly related to Bolvar. Not to Arthas. Arthas did not want to contain the power. He wanted to use it.

Lucascraft on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Oh oh!

What if it's "surprise, new DLC the same day the Switch version comes out! Oh and the Switch version comes with it included already!"

That would be pretty awesome but they risk their big Blizzcon announcement leaking if any early copies go out.

steam_sig.png

Did they specifically advertise the Switch version as having all the DLC? Or was it "all currently released DLC" or even just "It has the base game, Reaper of Souls and Rise of the Necromancer" like it says on the Nintendo page.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    71ivrK4HbtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

that's what it comes with

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    If that pet isn't capable of going on a murderous rampage out of self defense I will be sad.

butts
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »

Wasn't the implication that Leah
    Didn't just die, but was completely obliterated. Like even her soul was destroyed.

God damn that character got done dirty. It still annoys me a lot.

There was a throwaway line or two where it's implied that she could still be saved.
    Covetous Shen: Do you think that Leah is lost forever?

Player: Diablo consumed her. She is gone.

Covetous Shen: Do you not think Leah's soul is stronger than that? But, oh, but then sometimes I-I forget that you have not seen everything that I have seen.
    But that would be dumb so they moved on from it. Best case, she simply died a regular death when Diablo possessed her and/or when he fully consumed her body.

Zek on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Shen is heavily implied to be
    a god from a foreign land
    so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he knew something about the situation that the player didn't.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Blizzard South made WC3 right after SC with much of the same team. No surprise that the writing turned out the same at that time. WoW feels like it has barely moved on from the plots WC3 set in motion so its still doing those same things by and large, and SC2 basically had to pick up the loose threads from SC1 so its also the same. While D3 came much later and was significantly different from these other two, it ended up feeling this influence in other ways, as you have a Blizzard North property now being handled by Blizzard South and they share some writers across all their franchises.
    But that would be dumb so they moved on from it. Best case, she simply died a regular death when Diablo possessed her and/or when he fully consumed her body.

I think they wanted to tackle this in expansion 2 but then expansion 2 (probably) never happened. She may have even been stuck in the Black Soulstone meaning no chance to save her until after XP1.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    My legit dream game from blizzard is actually a Diablo Starcraft. I love the world of Starcraft, but I hate RTS games, a Starcraft loot dungeon crawler would be a dream

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    My legit dream game from blizzard is actually a Diablo Starcraft. I love the world of Starcraft, but I hate RTS games, a Starcraft loot dungeon crawler would be a dream
    Well Overwatch has robots and guns, that's sorta like space. And there's loot crates. So there you go!