As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The Neo Geo mini looks pretty bad

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

What are people saying is wrong with it? I played it last night and had a blast playing it. Granted there are a bunch of games I have never played before. Oddly the joystick is really sensitive that I was not expecting.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Intoducing the Intellivsion Amico. Here's a 4-minute long concept video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokUnn1lBGA

Pretty much no game footage shown. I am both very skeptical and kind of fascinated with whatever this ends up being. They got Mike Mika onboard, which is interesting.

edit: coming in 2020

SteevL on
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    It may be cool but I don't see how it doesn't flop. I don't even know who it's aimed at.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The LCD screens on the controllers though are a friggin' stroke of genius.

We had an Intellivision when I was a toddler. Barely enough sense to really understand the games. But I remember one game, Horse Racing. But because we lost the plastic controller sheet, the game became "first one to make it to the actual horse racing part wins".

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I appreciate the ambition and slick video, and I'm sure that team is very passionate about their project, but this thing is going to fail.

Betsuni wrote: »

What are people saying is wrong with it? I played it last night and had a blast playing it. Granted there are a bunch of games I have never played before. Oddly the joystick is really sensitive that I was not expecting.

the tiny screen is tiny, the video out is really bad, you can't play it as a portable and it does a terrible job of being a home console. The extra controllers are terrible.

It might be good enough to have a nice game night, but it seems like a terrible thing to add to a collection or if you want some gorgeous looking Neo Geo games on hdmi.

camo_sig2.png
    Betsuni wrote: »

the tiny screen is tiny, the video out is really bad, you can't play it as a portable and it does a terrible job of being a home console. The extra controllers are terrible.

It might be good enough to have a nice game night, but it seems like a terrible thing to add to a collection or if you want some gorgeous looking Neo Geo games on hdmi.

Ahhh yeah I agree that it fails on all of those then. I bought it for a mini arcade unit so not as disappointed in it. Never intended to connect it to a TV and after dumping the controllers it is exactly what I was looking for.

As for the Intellivison unit. I figure if it is a flop it'll be fun to watch develp. Plus at least they are not like the Atari VCS group using a bunch of backers on a possible flop.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    My Analogue Super NT arrived today; haven't had a chance to hook it up yet (and all of my old SNES cartridges are currently elsewhere), but THIS is what I now want in a "retro" console, especially as we leave the cartridge era behind and enter the Age of the CD: A device that will actually play all of the old media I still own, but output them via HDMI so that I don't have to futz to hook it up to a modern TV.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    SteevL wrote: »
    Intoducing the Intellivsion Amico. Here's a 4-minute long concept video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokUnn1lBGA

Pretty much no game footage shown. I am both very skeptical and kind of fascinated with whatever this ends up being. They got Mike Mika onboard, which is interesting.

edit: coming in 2020

Impressive team there, I have to say. That probably has more of my interest than anything at the moment, seeing as I never had or played an Intellivision.

The exclusives puzzle me, though. Like, how do you claim Toejam & Earl as an exclusive?

I hope it does well. I hope it finds and taps into some sort of unknown niche. I'm a little skeptical at the moment, but I feel like there's a sense of passion here (knowing how Tallarico feels about the brand) that I just want to see succeed, even if I don't think it will do Big 3 numbers.

(Incidentally, I don't know that it fits the plug 'n play idea, but at the same time, I don't know that it doesn't, either.)

Edit: Whoops, just saw something saying there will be games built in, so I guess it counts!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So this is fun: AtGames is making the new "flashback blast" things because of course they are. Early review copies of the Pac-Man one used the arcade version of Pac-Man. The ones that actually shipped to stores swapped it out for the NES version. When people complained, the company reacted badly.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Amazing.

I always took AtGames as being well-meaning, but maybe not fully capable of doing what they wanted, but this just flies in the face of that.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Suitable for IBM PC, Atari, Amiga, Pineapple, Amstrad, Nintendo. Actual game shots taken from a version you haven't bought.
    Including the screenshots from a better version was a traditional part of the experience back then, they're just trying to be authentic!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Amazing.

I always took AtGames as being well-meaning, but maybe not fully capable of doing what they wanted, but this just flies in the face of that.

I mean, I'm trying to come up with a logical reason for why they'd use the NES version of Pac-Man in some versions and I'm coming up dry. If you're working with Namco Bandai to the extent that their name is more prominent on the box than yours, why wouldn't you have access to the definitive, classic version of the game? Wouldn't Namco Bandai want to put their best foot forward?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Amazing.

I mean, I'm trying to come up with a logical reason for why they'd use the NES version of Pac-Man in some versions and I'm coming up dry. If you're working with Namco Bandai to the extent that their name is more prominent on the box than yours, why wouldn't you have access to the definitive, classic version of the game? Wouldn't Namco Bandai want to put their best foot forward?

Given that they did have access to the original version when they sent out review copies, I'm guessing they missed getting a license for something.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    At least it's not the 2600's version.

camo_sig2.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I think they got me guys...
    Sony has announced the full line-up of games for the upcoming PlayStation Classic mini-console.

The console's full 20-game list lives up to the "classic" billing, with seminal games from the Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil and Persona series included. Check them out in full below.

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Cool Boarders 2
    Destruction Derby
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mr Driller
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Revelations: Persona
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    Twisted Metal
    Wild Arms

I love like, all of these games... but Puzzle Fighter, Cool Boarders, Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Tekken... this is a pretty damn good list.

Edit - And the Japanese Line up:
    Arc the Lad
    Arc the Lad II
    Armored Core
    R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
    I.Q. Intelligent Cube
    Gradius Gaiden
    XI [sái]
    Saga Frontier
    G Darius
    Jumping Flash
    Super Puzzle Fighter II X
    Tekken 3
    Battle Arena Toshinden
    Biohazard Director's Cut
    Parasite Eve
    Final Fantasy VII International
    Mr. Driller
    Revelations Persona
    Metal Gear Solid
    Wild Arms

I honestly don't know which is better, I would have liked Armored Core, Arc, and Parasite Eve though.

KoopahTroopah on
    Puzzle Fighter is amazing.

It'll be interesting to see how easily people can add more games to this thing, because there are some significant gaps.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think it comes down to:

1) Assuming you can, how do you interface with the internal storage?

2) How much additional storage is there after the existing software, and is it expandable?

3) What kind of processing power are we looking at here?

That last category, in particular, can be a big surprise. No one expected the SNES Classic to be able to run PSP and original Playstation games, or N64 games, but Nintendo, taking the path of least resistance with the system on a chip, left it with power to spare.

edited October 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »

2) How much additional storage is there after the existing software, and is it expandable?

That last category, in particular, can be a big surprise. No one expected the SNES Classic to be able to run PSP and original Playstation games, or N64 games, but Nintendo, taking the path of least resistance with the system on a chip, left it with power to spare.

Given Sony's history (why hello thar, locked-down and stupid-expensive Vita memory cards), I wouldn't be surprised if they locked down and restricted their system much more than other classic systems. Definitely worth waiting and seeing if that's your interest.

cloudeagle on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Whelp, that made my decision and I cancelled my pre-order. I don't have as much nostalgia as some people for the PS1 but that list of games is pretty bad. I'm ok with that because I don't need it anyway.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Whelp, that made my decision and I cancelled my pre-order. I don't have as much nostalgia as some people for the PS1 but that list of games is pretty bad. I'm ok with that because I don't need it anyway.

No Spyro, no Crash, no Medievil, no Mega Man, no Castlevania.

I'm all for re-release collections on systems but they've really hamstrung this system.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    The lack of analog sticks and Suikoden is a hard pass for me.

The devs of hakchi seem relatively confident that they'll be able to hack it, but yeah, I'm seeing them ponder some of these questions too.

cloudeagle wrote: »

Given Sony's history (why hello thar, locked-down and stupid-expensive Vita memory cards), I wouldn't be surprised if they locked down and restricted their system much more than other classic systems. Definitely worth waiting and seeing if that's your interest.

Yes. And on a completely unrelated note, it's be pretty hilarious if this ended up being where that trailer truck full of unsold Sony proprietary memory storage ended up: inside the Playstation Mini. I'd commend them for their frugality.

But it's generally a safe assumption to assume that there will be no additional storage, or ability to modify or even access it via PC. Probably not the case, but it's entirely possible. It's even possible that Sony might put this out as easily accessible, but include the bare minimum of storage, and partition what there is in such a way that there's no room left for (substantially larger) Playstation 1 ROMs, considering how small the savegame storage needs are. I'm still mildly surprised that Nintendo elected not to issue revisions of their mini consoles that removed their relative accessibility, but maybe the investigated number of sales for people who'd only buy one to hack it (in other words, people like me) deterred them. Or maybe they don't care.

That being said, there will probably be some extra space, and some ability to modify it. Running other consoles on it well? Harder to say, unless it's the exact same approach as Nintendo took. But I wouldn't pre-order the thing from a modding standpoint.

I'm still slightly baffled Nintendo hasn't lifted a finger to try to make their minis less hack-friendly, but I guess their strategy is to go after the sites supplying the ROMs.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's just a bad selection of games. Some of them I get...but Twisted Metal instead of Twisted Metal 2. Rayman instead of Crash or Spyro. Wild Arms but no Suikoden or Breath of Fire. No Castlevania at all. Puzzle Fighter instead of Street Fighter Alpha 3 which was the best version of that game. No Legend of Dragoon, which was a Sony RPG that has a pretty big cult following behind it.

I am pretty sure that my theory is correct. Sony didn't want to sour the pre-orders early because they knew their selection of games wasn't great. Bad all around.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Considering a typical PS1 ISO was, let's say, about 250 MB, we could estimate the included games on this as requiring about 5 GB. Then assuming the console has 8GB of storage, this thing, if it is hackable, might hold a dozen more ISOs at most. These are of course just WAGs, but I think it's pretty unlikely that people will be able to fit their entire original PS1 library on it.

I like the idea of Puzzle Fighter being included. Guessing it is there since Sony didn't have a "Tetris" type game and this was the closest thing? Dunno, I loved he heck out of that game (and the others that were included).

But yeah, everybody has their opinions of what is good and what isn't. At least they released the list early enough for people to cancel their pre-orders.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Can't believe they couldn't even get the good version of Resident Evil.

Edit: Actually, I realized it's not the dual shock version so it's not really the worst version.

Still a pretty lackluster lineup.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Revelations Persona is a weird, unexpected get.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited October 2018
    Mm-hm, mm-hm... Yes, I see.

*chucks the whole thing in the trash*

Okay, not quite THAT bad, but still... that "higher than the rest" price tag just became a whole lot harder to justify for me.

Twisted Metal is the only game listed here I've played and enjoyed. RE and MGS are great games I enjoy on some level (though I prefer RE2), but suck at playing.

Toshinden, Jumping Flash, Tekken, Oddworld, Mr. Driller, Rayman, Ridge Racer, and Puzzle Fighter are all unplayed curiosities for me, which is fine, but I like to have a little more solid "I remember loving that!" games to bear the brunt if none of those hit.

Incidentally, Bushido Blade would have carried that nicely for me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah that list saved me $100. PS1 era RPGs were king and we only get 2 of them?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I loved Destruction Derby. I think that and Tekken were the first games I owned for the PSX. I'm probably not buying it, but that was a nice game to see included.

urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah that list saved me $100. PS1 era RPGs were king and we only get 2 of them?
    I was just about to make a post realizing that the thing has as many puzzle games as RPGs. I mean they're decent puzzle games, if that's what you want, but that's not what I fell in love with my PS1 for.

Also, for me personally, I just did not really care for Wild Arms or Persona.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wild Arms is an okay RPG but there are a hundred better ones on the PS1. Most of the games listed will not have aged well (if at all) in this day and age.

edited October 2018
    No Sexy Parodius OR Paro Wars? No buy from me.

More seriously, yeah, people seem generally unimpressed with the list. I can sort of understand the lack of Crash Bandicoot, but other absences are harder to explain away beyond "Sony didn't want to pay for it".

Synthesis on
    I could kind of understand if there were politics involved with the third parties, and Sony didn't want to rock the boat by having multiple games from a single non-Sony company. Which is why Squeenix only has FF7.

But the problems in the list go waaaaaay beyond that.

Ugh, yeah, there are quite a few games in that list where one or more sequels in the series would have been the better choice for a "best of" collection. I mean thank god they didn't go with the original Tekken or Ridge Racer, but I think a lot of other games in there will have aged even more poorly than later offerings in their series.